General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #1  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Default Has this happened to you dieting = hair thinning?

I believe a combination of stress and staying in south beach phase 1 too long has made my hair start to thin. A friend of mine told me to take prenatal (no im not pregnat)to help with this problem well i got it and started it today. I told another friend and he was worried about the iron level being to high its 28mg.Now im faced with should i not take it and have my hair fall out or take it and ruin my liver. Also i have white hair and really need to desperatly dye my hair. I do it every other month and i use the Garnier Fructis dye.

I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and what you are doing about it? Are you taking prenatal or a regular multi vitamin or hair skin nails? thanks i dont know what im gonna do i dont wanna call the doctors again.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Here's a thread I started awhile back on thinning hair if you wanna check it out

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/look...thin-hair.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #3  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

thank you that really helped im gonna continue to take the prenatal and i just checked and my dye is ammonia free. As for the whole flat ironing my hair im gonna look for a heat protector for my hair.

just curious how are you doing? Hair wise with your fish oil and biotine pills...If you dont mind?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

My hair does seem to be a lot shinier and softer but as far as new hair growth, not yet but I am not losing hope yet :|
Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #5  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Ill let you know how the prenatal is going... Im just dont want anyone getting ideas to why i may be taking prenatal..lol believe me its at the bottom of my purse but i can just imagine if my mom found it yeah she would really believe the lossing hair story..lol crazy. thanks again
Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #6  
Resident Pixie

You're welcome and good luck
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #7  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

As I mentioned in Onderchic's earlier thread, I experienced this, too. The heavy hair loss dropped off within a couple of weeks after I started taking a decent multivitamin daily, and it took a couple of months for new growth to start showing. My fingers are crossed as I write this, but being vigilant with nutrition appears to have made a big difference.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #8  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
As I mentioned in Onderchic's earlier thread, I experienced this, too. The heavy hair loss dropped off within a couple of weeks after I started taking a decent multivitamin daily, and it took a couple of months for new growth to start showing. My fingers are crossed as I write this, but being vigilant with nutrition appears to have made a big difference.
thank you i thought the energy pack form gnc i take would be enuff but i was wrong hey i learned my lesson and i will be taking the prenatal.... i dont have any bald spots that anyone can see but i can feel the lightness and thinned areas im glad i caught this now.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #9  
Gone Primal.

S/C/G: 352/248.8/185

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIARA View Post
A friend of mine told me to take prenatal...(vitamins)...well i got it and started it today. I told another friend and he was worried about the iron level being to high its 28mg. Now im faced with should i not take it and have my hair fall out or take it and ruin my liver...
i dont know what im gonna do i dont wanna call the doctors again.

Simple solution, I was recently pregnant...Just take the prenatals withOUT iron. Or if you prefer, the high biotin multi-vitamin that supports weight loss and blood sugar stability, it's what I took when I was pregnant...my hair and nails grew like crazy and if I could still afford them, I never would have stopped taking them. The best price I could google (GlucoBalance Probiologics) tonight was around $42 for 2 bottles of 90 capsules (1 month supply), which included shipping.

This is a multi-vitamin that contains 3000mcg of Biotin and you have to swallow 3-6 pills per day rather than 1.

There's a lot of good help that won't hurt your liver in Traditional Chinese Medicine which restored my health when I was given a death sentence due to severe lung damage. I now have a near normal life expectancy and fewer limitations. If you were open to herbs or Naturopathy, you might find some different approaches in those paradigms. It simply doesn't have to be all/nothing, hurt your liver/have nice hair, in fact you could benefit your liver and have nicer hair (and nails) then ever.

A little research might yield a doctor you want to see rather than want to avoid. I can't say I've fired many docs in my life (maybe 5-6 out of dozens) but I can say that the ones I have now are stellar and I wouldn't hesitate to call or see them because they have earned my confidence over time.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

RW
ResilientWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lots of luck! People have experienced various ends of the spectrum regarding this. My hair never thinned but I've always had super thick hair and my hair has changed over the years but I think it was due to environment/hormones more than anything (because at the time it changed, I definitely wasn't losing weight).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

you may want to consider going to your dr and have bloodwork run to ensure what exactly is going on. Not that there isn't great advice out there...but what if it was more than just low vitamins are nutrients. It probably is realated to not enough fat/vitamins etc...but its always wise to have a doctor evaluate you to ensure no major issues.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote