Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

Default I'm Scared to go to a meeting

I've been struggling with overeating and my weight all my life. I know I need to do something different to make a true change and I know I can't do it by myself, but I'm scared to death of going to a meeting. I get really nervous around groups of people and extremely nervous talking in front of people. I'm very self-conscious and worry too much about what other people think. How do I overcome this? I've been to a few meetings from my sister in law when she was in recovery for drug abuse, but it wasn't for me so it was different. I was there for support for her.
JamieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well, why do you suppose all those other people are at the meeting ? I assure you many of them had the same fear as you. Go to the meeting and tell someone what you have told us. You will find understanding and support.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

maybe you can find a friend or coworker to go with you? or you can just hang out here with us, and get all the online support and motivation you need right here!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #4  
Taking care of me.

Don't be scared. It was uncomfortable for me when I first started going to meetings because I am such a loner, but before long they became my safe havens. Some meeting formats may not work for you but there are probably serveral to choose from in your area. What I like about 12-step meetings is that, with very few exceptions, there is no judgement there. Share, don't share - it's always up to you. You are welcome simply because you are there.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Good luck Jaime. Remember you will probably only have to say...Hi my name is Jaime. I like what weightlosswanted said...come on here...read and post or read and read... The more I read the more I learn. The more I post or write the more I learn. For me this weight loss evolves around learning.

Hang in there...Cathy

Last edited by cathydoe; 11-15-2009 at 03:39 PM.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #6  

You are not alone in the fear of going to the meeting, most of us have had this fear and then we look back and wonder why. Walking through fear is a lot of growth and it's much better than staying or living in it.
Sometimes writing what is the worse thing that could happen and what is the best thing that could happen helps one walk forward through the fear.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #7  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

If you don't want to go to a meeting, GO.
If you don't go face your fears, you will never stop the insanity and you will stay fat.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #8  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel girl! I'm going to my first meeting tonight. Good luck sweetie!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #9  
Lil' Old Chick

Welcome Home
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #10  
On the Path

S/C/G: 400/280/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Too View Post
If you don't want to go to a meeting, GO.
If you don't go face your fears, you will never stop the insanity and you will stay fat.
What she said!

I didn't want to go, either. I kept putting it off and putting it off, and then I asked myself, "How's that working out for you?"

And I realized that what I was doing WASN'T working for me, so I had to try something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyes86 View Post
I know how you feel girl! I'm going to my first meeting tonight. Good luck sweetie!
I hope you had a good time. Check back and let us know?
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 372/224/186

Height: 5'7

I hope you made it to a meeting. Its funny 2 days ago I was going to go to my first meeting and the church it was being held in well it wasn't very organized...in fact the church was all darkened and there were teenagers running the halls...I was at one end of a darkened hallway and at the other end I could see light and hear laughter I convinced myself I was at the wrong spot and walked quickly back to my car. I wasn't at the wrong spot and I am determined to try again next Thursday.
j
Moxie574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #12  
On the Path

S/C/G: 400/280/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie574 View Post
I hope you made it to a meeting. Its funny 2 days ago I was going to go to my first meeting and the church it was being held in well it wasn't very organized...in fact the church was all darkened and there were teenagers running the halls...I was at one end of a darkened hallway and at the other end I could see light and hear laughter I convinced myself I was at the wrong spot and walked quickly back to my car. I wasn't at the wrong spot and I am determined to try again next Thursday.
j
Aww, how terrible. Actually, that happened to me on Friday--I got off work early and it wasn't my normal meeting. I thought I'd check it out. I turned and left because of all the people...and I've been going to OA for a few months now.

See if there are different meetings in your area--sometimes the first or second ones aren't the right ones for you, but it doesn't mean that OA isn't for you.

Good luck, and I hope your experience on Thursday is much better.
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #13  
Lil' Old Chick

People in OA don't bite and they are people just like you, scared and embarrassed to be seen and to let others know they have a food problem, but they go, and share their story anyway so they can heal and get there lives back in control when it comes to food.
Healing starts with the first step, admitting you are powerless over food and your life is unmanageable.
I can't stress enough, go to meeting and you will never be alone again. you will meet yourself at meetings.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I've never been to an OA meeting, but I always wanted to go! I've found this place to be incredibly supportive, I can only imagine that OA would be like this but... live. Oh and maybe they would have coffee?! =)
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #15  
mickeymick

S/C/G: 158/142/138

Height: 5'10"

i'm kinda the same way. i've looked up local OA meetings more than once but never gone. i used to try and get my friend to go with me....but if i decide to go i think i need to be comfortable going on my own.
angelamick is offline   Reply With Quote