Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #1  
on a journey

Default This is the hardest time of my life

my depression is so bad, i can't get into the dr anytime soon. *SIGH* It really sucks. i have to take this day by day i'm so bad. The only thing going right for me is i have finally started to lose some weight. i make myself go walk and ride.

i'm sure i've been worse off before but when you're going through it, it's hard to imagine worse.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #2  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hi, there,
I know how you feel - it's like you can't ever see it getting better. Hang in there, you've been here before and you can get over it.
PM any time you want to chat.
you can do this!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, you are off to a great start; and going out to walk and ride is a good way to refresh your mind. Experts say fresh air and exercise can change our moods for the better; I believe that, esp on a nice sunny day. Coming here to chat with those who understand you is helpful too. Just keep on keepin' on ... one day at a time is the best way!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #4  

I am another who's fought intermittent depression most of my life. This is a lousy time of year for it - not enough daylight, holidays approaching, misery on top of misery.

Vigorous physical exercise does help.
Lincolns Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Did you tell the dr's office how bad u feel? Can they put you on a list in case someone cancels their appointment? Do u want to go to Dr for meds, if so, can u go to the ER? I only say ER if you know what you need. Hang in there... I will be thinking of you...Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry things aren't going the best for you now, but keep your head up! Keep getting out, getting exercise and try journaling too. Are you into reading? That's a great way to "escape" for awhile.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I know how hard this is for you. I've been there so many times... I agree with Cathy about telling the drs office how bad you feel. Maybe they can do something to get you in sooner. Is there a good psychiatric hospital near you? Sometimes they can help. Even if they can't get you in to see one of the doctors there are physicians assistants and some nurses who are allowed to prescribe medication. Someone like that may be able to give you something to get you through until you can see a doctor. If not, and it's that bad, Cathy is right. Go to the ER. That is another place where you can see a doctor who can at least give you something to get you through. I know this sucks and having to wait to see a dr. doesn't help matters. The last time I needed to see a doc and I needed a new one, I got into a clinic that has both psychiatrists and psychologists. I saw the psychologist and she was able to talk to the doc about getting some meds to help me until I could get in to see her (the doc). Sorry this is so long. I hope you can see someone and get help. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: See signature.

Height: 5' 5"

"i'm sure i've been worse off before but when you're going through it, it's hard to imagine worse."

This is so true! Ohio, one thing I've learned is that when you're depressed, nothing makes you feel worse than thinking about how depressed you are.

Much like some people feel it helps to visualize being in a cool, air-conditioned room when they're sitting in a stuffy classroom, I have always found that THINKING about being happy helps. I realize this may sound like an insignificant drop in the bucket that is your depression, but as a tool to prevent you from spiraling into DEEPER depression, I have always found it to really, really help.

If walking/riding makes you happy, then definitely keep it up! It'll help you lose weight AND improve your mood. That seems like a win/win to me. Plus, even if you have something "better" to do, it's really better for you to do something that will get you out and about and improve your mood enough that you can do what you NEED to do.

I know this is just little bits of advice, but honestly, if it's a psychiatric issue, seeing your doctor is the only thing that will help significantly.
AliceInFatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS!

Being depressed is awful, and people are like, why don't you just change it and feel better? Um, because, I am depressed and have no motivation. It's NOT easy to change how you feel. The other night I was feeling awful, and I kept doing things that made me feel awful, so I went to bed, woke up in the morning, and started a new day.

This is hard to do, but STOP doing things that will make you feel worse. For me, it's eating, and looking on Facebook at people who make me upset (haha, it's true).

Things I do that make me feel better:
1) BE WITH FRIENDS, instantly takes my mind off things
2) Gym, exercise=endorphins and HOT boys
3) Paint my nails
4) Watch TV
5) Watch a movie

Hope this helps, and yes, try and see a doctor soon, even if you have to switch or go to the ER.
maintain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

Also------> call a friend on the phone, not even to talk about how you feel, just to chat...will keep your mind off things!
maintain is offline   Reply With Quote