Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #55

Since the last post was #18 I will start a new thread this evening. It's been a beautiful day in my corner of the world; it's hard to believe it is November.

"Gma" -- I'm not sure what is going on with the gift shop. The last I heard they were going to enclose the glass windows, change the entrance to around the corner which is across from the admitting offices, and turn it into the chapel. One idea was to just have balloons, cards, and baby items sold out of the coffee shop which is not big enough as it is. I've never sold a baby item in the years I have worked there. First of all they are over priced and second of all the people having babies don't shop there. The "foyer" entrance is big with a lot of wasted space including the coffee shop open for all to see (no wall), the gift shop, the reception desk, ER door, lab entrance, and then the hall to the rest of the hospital. It can be like Grand Central Station, even on a Saturday! It is no place for a chapel and the employees have pitched fits and even found an area near the ICU for a small chapel, but the administrator wants to do it "his" way. We still have leaves on a couple trees. You can come do mine when you're finished with yours.

Maggie -- My card club isn't until the 16th. We usually just have meat, cheese, crackers, veggies, etc. We used to have munchies, then at the end we'd have sandwiches and dessert! That's when we played until midnight and talked until 1 or 2 in the morning. As our kids grew up and we all went back to work we cut out the late night eating and talking. Now we're usually home by 10 or shortly after. As I told Faye I'm not sure when or what is going on with the gift shop. The Auxiliary used to be a BIG contributor (Christmas bazaar, bake sales, etc.) to the hospital but now there is no board nor organization of any sort. They still collect "dues" and those of us who volunteer come under the title.

Guess I'll go read the local paper and see if I know any of the criminals. Have a nice evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies! I have yard work well, deck work since it really isn't a yard to do this morning. I got the downstairs cleaned yesterday and going to wait and do the upstairs tomorrow after Jack gets the light fixed. He wasn't supposed to use his left hand so I didn't want him fooling with putting that box back up. I would like it done before Thomas comes on Tuesday night though.

Heaven help us, the idiots in the House of Rep passed the health care bill. Medicare costs, insurance premiums, and our taxes are going to explode. They are going to be giving handouts to the lazy again and they are saying it won't budge the deficit. Brother, just how stupid are these people anyway? Well it is done now so this country can just see what they are going to get for the bozos they put in office be it president or senators or representatives!

I almost have one sock done and it actually looks like a sock! It is a thick sock so good for cold mornings in the house or worn with crocks or heavier shoes, but it is my first go at it and I am proud to say, it isn't too bad. She puts a "dutch" heel on her socks, which makes them narrow, but I pulled it over my big foot and it stretched ok so I think it will be fine. I am going to have to email my brother and continue to nag him until he gets me my niece's sizes. I want to start on her sweater, but I haven't seen her in probably 5 years so I have no clue how big she is. I am sure she is probably still rail thin, but I just don't really know.

Jean: I think gift shops in hospitals should sell, balloons, cards, newspapers, candy, snacks, drinks, maybe flowers and that is about it. It is ridiculous to try and sell that horribly inflated stuff they sell. My sil bought me a wallet on a string thing down at the hospital gift shop while I was in there the second time and paid over $30 for the darn thing. Did you get all you wanted to do done? My house is hopeless. The closets are miniscule and even our walk in is not very big and crammed full of stuff. I need to clean out, but I have no where to put anything.

I guess I am going to go back to knitting on my sock and try and finish it up. I have a bout 12 rows in the foot then can do the decreases and sew it up and do the other one.

Have a wonderful Sunday! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 11-08-2009 at 07:06 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another sunny day in my neighborhood; I have Ernie's favorite window open and he is watching the squirrels and birds at the feeders. Our bell choir played at the early service which meant we like to be set up and ready to practice by 7:30. Now if you were a "somewhat" intelligent custodian and had been reminded to bring the bell cases down from our practice room, wouldn't you assume we would also need our music, foam pads, and tables? I swear we have an idiot for a custodian w/o any job discription! I'm assuming he has normal intelligence, but when the same light bulb, in the sanctuary, has been out since April it makes me wonder.

We went out for breakfast after church and Bob left for the farm an hour ago. The elevator is only open from noon until 4 today so they wanted to be first in line with the trucks. I have laundry going and here I am!

"Gma" -- It sounds like you have knitting socks down pat! Our school superintendent has all ready warned us that our property taxes will take a big jump next year. The federal money is being cut off for all the freebies we've been providing. Rather than cut the programs he wants to raise our taxes. I hope the school board is smart enough to see where that is going. Over the years we've had some very nice gift items in the gift shop; there is an apartment complex across the street and the older people do a lot of shopping in the gift shop. I noticed some Christmas boxes in the store room yesterday so they must be planning to try and sell some Christmas things. All of the profit goes right back to the hospital and I think most people realize that. I hate cleaning out closets! I really need to bring an empty dresser up from the basement but want to wait until the new carpet is in . . . someday. I don't think one ever gets caught up, let alone ahead, with housework!

I need to change laundry loads and vacuum the dust/fur bunnies. I think they had babies when I wasn't looking! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #4  

Good morning to you all! We are supposed to get rain today and tomorrow, but so far it is quiet, dry, and not too cool. It is actually nice not to have to run either the heat or the ac and have a lower utility bill.

Just had to post my very first sock attempt. I think it turned out alright, except after this pair, I don't think I am going to make the dutch heel. I don't care for how it looks. I cheated and did a 3 needle bind off instead of grafting the toe, but I don't feel any difference in the toe, it isn't bunchy or anything. A three needle bind off is a cinch so I imagine I will incorporate that into my sock forays from now on. I haven't decided whether I will go ahead and make the second one, or get started on Ruthie's sweater. I know I have to put my sweater aside for now so I can work on finishing Christmas stuff.

Jean: If the hospital gets elderly people using it, then they should stock it for them. Maybe they can adjust hours that no one comes in like on Saturday's when you work and no one comes in. Open later and close earlier or something like that. I guess it doesn't matter since the whole hospital is going so utilities aren't the issue and it is staffed with volunteers so they don't have to pay employees. That's the thing, the darn thing is practically pure profit so why do they have to rip people off so much? Who knows?

I am going to work on getting upstairs cleaned except for dusting and vacuuming as Jack promised he would fix the light at the top of the stairs tonight. I don't want to dust and vacuum until that is done because plaster dust and regular dust and stuff falls all over the place.

Guess I better get to work. I have Thomas Tuesday night and Wednesday, a dr appt on Thur and clinic on Friday. Busy week this week, but at least we got another batch of leaves blown to the corner. There is quite a pile so I hope the landscaper's get in here and bag them. I refuse to do it because I feel like we are paying association fees and getting nothing in return for it. They promised nighttime security patrols, haven't done it, they didn't even open the pool to us this year though they brought in the cleaners and such to keep it clean, they don't do repairs on the garages and they are now pretty much all leaking like sieves around the bottom. So, the darn leaves can just sit there all winter for all I care. I dare a board member to say something. It would give me a chance to unload on them. I refuse to go to anymore association meetings because it is nothing but platitudes and excuses.

Have a great start to the week gals! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sock1.jpg (32.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sock2.jpg (37.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gma22; 11-09-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is "partly" shining in my corner of the world. According to the weatherman that is what we will have for the next few days. As long as it isn't raining I can live with part clouds for a few days. I am hosting card club next Monday night so am making my "to do" list for each day this week. The biggy is trying to decide on food. It seems like we eat less than we used to, but then have the leftovers to deal with.

"Gma" -- I did have 2 gift shop customers and sold $81.25 between the 2 of them! One lady bought 4 CDs and I asked if they were a gift for a patient. She said, "no, they are a Christmas gift for my husband. WM doesn't carry them so I came here to get them." I like the yarn colors in your sock! You have a busy week planned! I know you will enjoy your time with Thomas.

I need to get another load of laundry going and wrap a couple of glass items for the GW box so Bob can take them after lunch. He is working at his day job today; had several things he needed to catch up on from being gone last week. He thinks the harvest will finish up in a couple more days. Yea!!

Hope you all have a Marvelous Monday today!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-09-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Rainey Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS
It is raining it is pouring and I love it. The installer folks are here to install a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. ♫ What joy, I get new appliances. Pretty soon all the “stuff” will be replaced in this house and then when we move out the next family can have it to use without any upgrades to be done for awhile. Maybe we can get new carpet next…..I want the carpet stripped out of my crafts/office room. We can install perko flooring in here. That flooring is great for a crafts room because it doesn’t scratch, dent or dull and looks like nice wooden flooring. I think we will do that come Spring. Even if in the future someone moves in here with kids and needs to use this room for a bedroom it would be nice for that. They would have to have plenty of kids though for this is a 6 bedroom house. Anyway they said we could fix up this place to suit us. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE You do realize even though the house passed that rotten mess the Senate has to pass it for it to become official. That, my dear, will not happen. That “woman” will have so much egg on her face that it just may improve her looks. I like your socks.

JEAN Wouldn’t you just know it that you have music there that Wal♥Mart doesn’t have. Bet you are glad that the harvest season is over. Now you can prepare for winter happenings.

I am going to go peek in the kitchen . . . I am sure they don't need my help.
Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #7  

This is a keeper from my WW leader. I made it for supper and it will be on the menu frequently. A southern delicacy...

Shrimp & Grits
Makes 2 Large servings- 8 points each

Ingredients:

For Grits
1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
dash salt

For Shrimp
8 oz. raw shrimp, peeled, tails removed, deveined, patted dry
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and green parts)
2 tbsp. precooked real crumbled bacon (like the kind by Hormel)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
Optional: Tabasco sauce (Tonja's note: The Tabasco doesn't really make it "hot"- just add a bit for flavor)

Directions:
In a medium pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil on the stove. Add grits and salt and stir well. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has been absorbed, about 6 - 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese, cheese wedge, and butter. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.

Bring a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add shrimp and cook until pink and just done, about 3 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Add scallions, parsley, lemon juice, and garlic. If you like, add a dash or two of Tabasco. Stir well and remove from heat.

Serve grits topped with shrimp and bacon.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies. It was foggy this morning, warmed up to 76 this afternoon after the sun made its way out, and now its in the 50s.

I had a wonderful time at retreat. I got a picture with me and 3 friends and if I can figure out how to get it out of my phone, I'll post it. I'm afraid I was over points everyday because there wasn't any choice - a plated meal of fine country cooking was set in front of us and that was the only choice. Salad was iceberg lettuce with a couple of cucumber slices and a wedge of tomato, but there was fat free dressing. The only veggie was green beans or broccoli and they were cooked to death. Cobbler with ice cream at both lunch and dinner. The lodge is located in a forest on a lake. We all sewed ourselves silly - Friday I started at 7 am and finished at 3 am on Saturday. I did get to bed about 11 on Saturday night. It was so much fun, I signed up for another in April and the fall one in November 2010 and paid my deposit.

The drive was lovely - all through farmlands. A few cotton fields have been picked, but most are still waiting. It looks like they have about dried from all the rain so they'll be picking soon. The leaves were beautiful.

You all seem to be keeping busy.

Faye, I like the sock but I'm not crazy about the Dutch heel. I'll bet they are warm. Enjoy your time with T.

Jean, it sounds like the hospital gift shop fills a need in the community. I know you'll be happy to have the harvest over and Bob at home.

Maggie, I'm with you, that mess of a health care bill will not pass the Senate. I think they see that people will vote them out if it does. November 2008 the Dems were saying the Reps were out in VA and wouldn't get back for decades. We ousted them all over the state by big margins. Its was over 24% in the Governor race. I make the mug rugs from fabric and batting so they can be washed, and it uses up my scraps.

Well, I'm really tired so I'm off to bed.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all! It never did rain here yesterday though it did cloud up a lot. I am hoping it just moved on through without us getting any of it. We have had enough for awhile. Thomas is coming this afternoon so I have his room all ready except his mother's bday present is sitting in a box on his bed so I have to get it wrapped and taken with us. Her birthday is Monday and she will be 32, but we aren't going to be able to get together so I wanted her to have it on time. Thomas helped me pick out some of what I bought her.

Susan: Glad you had a wonderful time. I am too much of a yankee gal. I hate grits! Thanks for the recipe though. I am going to print it out and take it up north. Jay used to love grits when he was a kid. He might just like this. Since the socks are going to be for me this time as it is the first attempt, I made the second sock without the dutch heel so we shall see what that is like. They won't look alike, but as I said, they are for me. I have yarn to make my little guy a pair for Christmas, so I am going to make them next. I will buy some yarn for t and make him a pair after the holiday and put with his Christmas stuff. You do magic loop when you make socks, don't you? I am a dpn gal. I do the 4 dpn method, though when doing the gusset I use all 5.

Maggie: Glad you liked my sock! lol I know that it isn't a sure thing, but there are enough votes in a pinch if party lines vote for the dang thing to pass. I was hoping that it wouldn't even get past the Representatives. Like the two of you, I am hoping that they have better sense. I know one thing, Obama is bound and determined to skyrocket our taxes sooner or later to fund some project of his.

Jean: I used the leftover yarn from my dil's hat and scarf I made her for her birthday to make the socks. Why not buy those small cartons of tuna and chicken salad and let then slice tomatos and some lettuce and set out a come and get it tray so they can make their own. You could do that with coldcuts and cheese too and then just put what is left back into it's package. Go to the store and just buy some salads like potato and slaw and you can even get portions of other stuff by the lb. Of course, you may not have access to stuff like that at your grocers. I can't remember whether you said you had anything like that in Storm Lake.

Jack got my light up though he had a devil of a time. He had to put it in through the attic and he had no room to pound the hammer. He finally did get it in though so I have light now. I did the dusting last night when I went upstairs and so all I have to do today is vacuum and the house is done. I am going to put a roast, carrots and potatoes on for dinner and make some yeast rolls and may make a small batch of sugar cookies for Thomas for dessert then send them all home with him tomorrow.

You gals have a nice Tuesday. Faye
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and so far no wind. The farmers will be happy again today; Bob left at 7 for the farm. I thought I would get so much done yesterday . . . didn't happen. We're having a new cupboard put in the area where bar stools should go. The guy called yesterday and wanted to come and pull the old one out. I made him promise that the new one would be in this week so I can finish cleaning the kitchen before card club. While he was here the construction guy came to work on the front window siding. He thinks he needs to come inside and visit whenever he's here. Between the two of them I wasted most of the afternoon. So today is double duty! I have lunch bunch tomorrow and will get my groceries afterwards. Bob is hoping to get our leaves done before the end of the week when it is supposed to rain again. They are so thick that it looks like carpet.

Maggie -- You will enjoy your new dishwasher and garbage disposal. My gd doesn't like potato peels for whatever reason. Bob says it is because the "pipe" is accordian pleated rather than straight -- sounds dumb to me. I had to laugh at your comment about "that woman!" She looked pretty smug on TV this morning. I hope the Senate is smarter than the House but we'll see. Our local senator missed his son's wedding to vote "no" on Saturday. You will like a new floor in your craft room. I really, really want to tear mine out and put carpet back in. Bob has told me to go for it, but I want to do the bedrooms and downstairs at the same time so I know the carpet is all the same. November was my goal, but think now it will be after Christmas.

Susan -- Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've never had grits and am not sure we even have it available; I will have to look. I like the idea of the mug rugs . . . cute. Do you get tired from sewing so long at a stretch, or do you get up and stretch from time to time? It sounds like you had a fun weekend in spite of the food choices.

"Gma" -- Card club food is finger food mostly. We do have a deli in one store that makes spreads and dips, cheese and meat trays, fruit and veggie trays, etc. I've started my list and will make a grocery run tomorrow. I'm so glad we don't do desserts and sandwiches any more. One grocery store is building a new building and plans to be in before Christmas. The other store has remodeled to make the pharmacy and liquor store bigger, and in the process put in all new shelving and rearranged the whole store so I have no clue where anything is now. I've heard that WM is going to rearrange also, but since I don't shop for more than an item or two there I can never find anything anyway.

I need to get moving! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #11  

Good evening, ladies.

Faye, your rain came here instead! I did do magic loop socks, but I think the dps are still my favorite.

Jean, your WM has probably come up to be remodeled like ours was last year. They really made it nice. You won't know what do do with all the store remodeling. I quilt awhile and then I get up and walk around and see what everyone else is doing and talk. You have to get up while quilting to cut, trim, or iron anyway.

Hi, Maggie!

I'm off to quilt guild so this is short today.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Tittilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTRNOON MAGNOLIAS
It is supposed to rain again this day. We really had a good gulley washer yesterday along with the massive loud thunder and nice lightening show. I do love a good storm. Should have been a storm chaser. I haven’t yet gotten to use my GS or dishwasher since I haven’t had any main cooking nor eogh dirty dishes yet this day. Interesting what the installation man told me. For this area he said for optimum use of the dishwasher is to use the powdered kind of Cascade. And that the box really does expire in 3 months after opening it and to throw it out when time is up. If one keeps using it after that date it is just like using water to wash the dishes in. The enzymes die after 3 months. So he said to buy the smallest box they make. Guess it depends where you live what you should use. I was using those neat little filled pillows before and my container was just about empty so I’ll toss it. Will bought me a box of Cascade. The installation man gave me a bottle of the jet dry stuff. It pays to know what to use in the area you are living in to get the best service from a DW.

SUSAN Thanks for the recipe. I do like grits and shrimp so it will be a definite try soon. So glad you had a good time at your retreat. Sewing with like minded friends sounds like a joy filled time. Glad you are back home safely.

DONNA FAYE We got your rain for sure ~ thanks for that. Hope your main squeeze is doing better and didn’t hurt himself getting that light put up.

JEAN Did your work get done in your kitchen? I hate it when a project goes over planned time, for I need to get in there and “do stuff.” Come spring I want my kitchen floor replaced and that can be done in a day. It won’t be so critical not to get my craft/office room done in a day.

Got to go figure what to thaw for dinner Type at y’all later. Be safe.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-10-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #13  

Bob just left to check in at the office. They finished the harvest today! He got home about 5 and I was surprised to see him so early.

Susan -- The weatherman was analyzing our November weather with October tonight saying the months should have been switched around. We only had 6 days without rain of some sort in October. No wonder everyone was getting webbed feet! My "sister" has made a quilt hanging for my retirement and her husband made the hanger. I'm anxious to see it -- she just finished it. Have fun at quilt guild tonight.

Maggie -- When I was having the dw repairman come on a regular basis, I said that I wasn't very happy with the soap balls because they didn't always totally dissolve. He said that sometimes the plastic doesn't dissolve and will get caught in the motor causing major damage. I will have to look on my box of Cascade and see if there is a date. It's a big box we got at SAM's Club quite awhile ago. I have a friend who uses the liquid and she likes it better than the powder. I know one thing and that is if I ever buy another dw it won't have the silverware rack on the door. I can hook mine in the end of the dish rack but if I have tall knives in the soap dispenser end, the door won't open.

Guess I will go watch Dancing with the Stars and see who gets the boot tonight. See you all tomorrow!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #14  

Good morning all. Just a quick post to peek in this morning. We have Thomas here and I imagine he is going to want breakfast soon as is Jack.

My deck is covered in leaves again. Jean, Bob didn't blow them this way did he? I have a few neighbors that think like I do that we should get something for our association fee so they are following my lead and piling up their leaves too.

I am well on my way with the baby's socks. I guess I shouldn't call him a baby anymore. The kid wears a size EIGHT shoe! The color combo looks nicer than I thought it would too so that is an added bonus.

My brother called last night and said he had sent the sizes three times. I don't know where he is sending them because I am not getting them on any of our email accounts and not in spam or blocked mail either. Oh well! She is pretty top heavy so I may have to rethink the sweater I picked out. We shall see.

Well gals, I will do individual responses tomorrow. Did you see they sold 3FC? Have a good Veterans' Day! Faye
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is promising to be another partly sunny and cloudy day in my neighborhood. Bob just left for the office and I need to finish cleaning off my livingroom shelves this morning. Half of the stuff could go in the GW box and I have some pictures out that are my favorites, but old. I have lunch bunch at noon and then will make a grocery run. Last night we moved the curio cabinet out of the livingroom corner and back to its assigned spot. I left all of the cut glass dishes in it and we just slid it on the floor; that's the ONLY good thing about having a laminate floor imo. We moved it last year because of the Christmas tree thinking it would get moved back in January -- better late than never.

"Gma" -- Bob mulches the leaves and then goes back and bags them. We have four HUGE maple trees and they finally have dropped all of their leaves. We also have another tree in the back that still has a few leaves on it. He always says he hope for a north wind to blow them to the cat haters' yard. The two houses across the street have their leaves bagged and gone -- one has a yard service do his and they are fast! Our neighbor beside us will have his done by a lawn service and the cat hater does his own. I am waiting for an email that has been sent a couple of times and I've never gotten it. I don't even know where or how to block an email, but I suppose that could be the problem. I'll have to do some searching.

I have to decide what I'm wearing to lunch and get busy. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.