Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/147.2/125

Height: 5 ft 5 in

Unhappy Where do i find the time?

I just got Jillian Michaels Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism the other day and i am really excited about starting it because i LOVE Jillian! My question is for those out there with small children. When do you find the time to actually DO the dvd(s) you have? My one son is 4 years old and the other is only 3 months old and i can't seem to find time to do anything because i am tending to their needs. My husband has agreed to do the dvd with me(he wants to lose weight too) so i don't have the option of having him watch the kids. Maybe we just have to take turns on watching the kids/exercising? I don't know. Thank you all in advance for your advice!!
slvrangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

When I was in your situation, I started getting up an hour before the kids to have "me" time. Would that work for you? It was hard because I was a single parent but got my day off to a good start.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I run an homeday care and have 3 kids age 3. I have them do my dvd with me. They ask from time to time to do it. Have your 4 yr old do what he can with you and put the baby in the swing or bouncer to watch you.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #4  

I have tried getting up earlier like some people suggest. but it's just not for me. I guess I'm just not a morning person.

Instead I do my exercising at night, when my son is asleep. Sure it's at 8:30 at night, but it's the only time I have the motivation and the time.

I know there are benefits to working out in the morning... but I'm happy just to start exercising. I think when my schedule calms down, I can adjust the time I exercise.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

You could do the dvd while the littlest is napping, and let the 4 year old follow along. Or like another pp mentioned , do it after bedtime, that is what i've always done. Mornings are not for me, i always have good intentions of getting up early but then 6 am hits and i hit the snooze
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #6  

The trouble is that you are chained to a schedule. I know a bit about that. I am chained to a schedule myself. I am only just starting to realize that the enemy showed me the chains, but I myself walked over to them and locked myself in. It seemed like a good idea at the time, you know, because I have responsibilities to work and family and such. And now I keep myself there all on my own power and can't remember how to get free.

Anyway, you can find the time to exercise after your kids are grown. Or you could wait until the end of your life, except that it'll be shortened because you waited until the end of your life. You can wait until they go to school and you go back to work. What would Jillian say about these ideas?

My Kung Fu teacher would say get your lazy a** out of bed and exercise. He'd recognize the "I don't have time" excuse and knock me upside the head for using it in his presence. He would do that because he loves me. ;-)

Darling, here's the thing--if you don't make yourself a priority, no one else will, either. It doesn't matter when or what time. It doesn't matter if your kids are banging on the bathroom door while you are taking a bath, does it? You still take the bath. When is it right to do something good for yourself (I don't mean vane, I mean healthy)? NOW! Put the kid in the bouncer like that lady said and put in the DVD and exercise. NOW!

Not later, not tomorrow, not when you have time, NOW!

In the middle of dinner? Okay. After everyone has gone to bed and will be disturbed by the noise? Yes! In the morning when everyone is still sleeping and will be disturbed by the noise? Yes. Before dinner so that dinner is late? Yes. All of these times are okay because they are NOW. Get it?

You matter. Your heart matters. Your desires and dreams and needs matter. You matter! So start mattering to yourself.
JediLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/147.2/125

Height: 5 ft 5 in

Talking

I think my 4 year old might actually like exercising with me. That is, until he gets bored and goes to play with toys. My 3 month old is not a big napper but i think he may sit in his seat and watch me. He LOVES watching tv...he might actually watch Jillian instead of me! Haha! Thanks for everyone's advice! I really appreciate all your support!!
slvrangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #8  

How about implementing a mandatory naptime and then working out during their naps?
Veronica133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

So i've be nt hinking of you since I do the same video. I have a 1 yr old, and he takes a 2 hour nap each day. I will not be able to get up an an hour and 15 mins before him (video + shower) so i work out during his nap. I'd say that if your 4 yr old is not napping start a "quiet time" where he has to stay in his room, maybe with music on. The quiet time might help center him so he is better behaved, and you get to work out and shower in peace.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #10  
sci

Sometimes I go 3 days with out exercise. I feel like I may not be managing my time very good. Lately I am booked all day.
sci is offline   Reply With Quote