Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Vegetable Juice & Health

Anyone make/drink vegetable juices? Any good recipes?

Vegetable Juice Aided In Dietary Support For Weight Loss And Lower Blood PressureArticle Date: 21 Oct 2009 - 6:00 PDT

Decades of studies have documented the link between eating a diet rich in vegetables and multiple health benefits, yet nearly eight out of 10 people worldwide fall short of the daily recommendation. Research presented at the International Symposium on Human Health Effects of Fruits and Vegetables suggests the best approach may be to focus on the factors that are often behind this vegetable gap: convenience and enjoyment.

Two studies presented at the symposium found that the addition of vegetable juice in people's diets was a successful strategy to help them reach the vegetable guidelines (at least 4 servings per day). In fact, the addition of a portable drink, such as V8® 100% vegetable juice, was more successful than an approach that focused solely on nutrition education, or offering dietary counseling on ways to increase vegetable intake.

Researchers at the University of California-Davis conducted a 12-week study among adults ages 40-65 years. All of the people in the study who drank at least two cups of vegetable juice met daily vegetable recommendations, yet only seven percent of the non-juice drinkers met the goal. The participants in the study with borderline high blood pressure who drank one to two servings of V8 juice lowered their blood pressure significantly.

According to the research, the vegetable juice drinkers said they enjoyed the juice and felt like they were doing something good for themselves by drinking it.

"Enjoyment is so critical to developing eating habits you can stick with for the long-term," said study co-author Carl Keen, PhD, Professor of Nutrition and Internal Medicine at the University of California-Davis. "Health and nutrition professionals must help people find simple ways for people to get their vegetables or they simply won't do it, and that means they won't reap the benefits of a vegetable-rich diet. Vegetable juice is something that people enjoy, plus it's convenient and portable, which makes it simple to drink every day."

Research conducted at the Baylor College of Medicine revealed that drinking vegetable juice helped overweight individuals with metabolic syndrome lose more weight compared to non-juice drinkers. In the study, participants who drank one to two servings of Low Sodium V8® 100% vegetable juice a day as part of a balanced diet increased their vegetable intake and lost an average of four pounds over the 12-week study period. Those who did not drink juice lost only one pound.

Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of risk factors for heart disease and diabetes that includes excess body fat in the midsection, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and elevated blood cholesterol.

"Heart disease and obesity are two major global health issues today, so if we can provide people with actionable, small steps in reducing risk factors, that's a big win in promoting good health" said study co-author John Foreyt, PhD, Director of the Behavioral Medicine Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine. "We're encouraged to see that something as easy as drinking vegetable juice can help people increase their vegetable intake and have significant health benefits."

About the Studies:
Both studies were randomized controlled trials, each lasting 12 weeks. The University of California-Davis study involved 90 healthy adults, ages 40-65 years. The Baylor study enrolled 81 adults (83.5% of whom were minority) with metabolic syndrome risk factors. The studies were supported in part by Campbell Soup Company and by resources provided from University of California-Davis and Baylor College of Medicine.

Source:
Emily Jane Watt
Weber Shandwick Worldwide
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it would be fascinating to know if adding vegetable juice to your daily diet eventually led to adding more whole vegetables to your diet.

I've never found V8 to be enjoyable, but I've been wanting to try some homemade vegetable juices. Preferably made with whole vegetables (rather than juiced vegetables).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I think it would be fascinating to know if adding vegetable juice to your daily diet eventually led to adding more whole vegetables to your diet.

I've never found V8 to be enjoyable, but I've been wanting to try some homemade vegetable juices. Preferably made with whole vegetables (rather than juiced vegetables).
Hi Julie,

I bought a juicer & about $100 worth of organic vegetables & fruit. Put 3 small carrots, a celery stalk, a beet, 1/2 apple & 1/2 pear into the juicer - got out about 1/2 cup of VERY red juice. Maybe I bought the wrong kind of juicer?

Taste was pretty good, but I have NO idea calories/carbs/nutrients I ended up with.

Lynn
Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

The beet will make anything you juice red. I add it in very small doses. It also sweetens everything.

I make a veggie juice using celery, carrots, tomato, and parsley (sometimes cucumber). I add hot sauce to taste
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #5  

OK - I will try your recipe today. So if I use 2 - 3 celery stalks, 2-3 carrots, 2 tomatoes & a bunch of parsley, how much juice should I expect?

If after putting in all these vegetables I get just 1/2 cup of juice, does that just count as 1 vegetable?

Lynn
Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #6  

I have been juicing for about 2years and I found this to be a very good and sweet juice. I use
2-3 carrots
1-2 stalks of celery
1/2 cucumber
1 apple
some baby spinach leaves
1/2 green pepper

*This makes quite a bit of huice anywhere form 16 to 30 ounces so I fill a small thermos to the top and save the rest of the juice for the next day so i don't have to clean my juicer every day. Congrats on your weight loss!
sugarart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Actually juicing the veggies rather than blending them does reduce the volume a lot. You take out all the bulk.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

What can help get the most juice out of a vegetable is to use veggies that are very high in water as your base. Cucumbers and Celery are probably the best.

I use 4-5 stalks of celery, 2 small carrots or one larger one, a tomato, a large handful of parsely (parsley doesn't make much juice, but what you get is SO rich in nutrients and it's such a beautiful green color ). This yields 16-20 ounces of juice.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #9  

I'm getting to LOVE my juices. Do a sweet one with fennel, celery, carrots, ginger, apple and pear. Do a spicy one with tomatoes, celery, zucchini, garlic.

I make about 10 oz of each & refrigerate & then, through the day, whenever I want something in between meals, I have 3-4 oz. Tastes good & REALLY losing.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-06-2009 at 07:23 AM.