South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.5/175.5/135

Height: 5'-4 1/4"

Question How successful have you all been?

Hi! I've been here on and off for years but still haven't settled on a weight loss plan that works for me. I've tried WW and absolutely HATE to count points so I'm thinking calorie counting is not for me either.

I have about 40-45 lbs to lose. I'm pre-diabetic and have problems with my blood sugar levels dropping too fast. I think that's part of insulin resistance where my cells won't let the glucose in so my body keeps cranking out insulin then when the cells let it in there's too much insulin in my body and my blood sugar levels drop drastically. SBD seems to be my answer. If I keep my blood sugar from going too high in the first place, I stay off that roller coaster.

Sooo....how hard will SBD be for me, especially phase 1? and how much weight have you all lost on SB?

Those of you with kids at home, how hard is it to accomodate everyone's eating but still stay on plan?

Thanks, JoAnn
Gymrat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to The Beach.

Check out this thread in the FAQ Section.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Definitely SB will work for you- I have PCOS and insulin resistance so since I've done SB I've noticed a big difference! I did start calorie counting and it worked at first then I stalled after about 20 lbs (from 235 to 215) then I didn't lose an ounce for MONTHS. Finally went to my doctor- she said do SB. I lost 5 lbs in two weeks, less than most but I figure my PCOS just makes it harder.

Besides having a headache the first day since then I've been great and find myself not missing carbs anymore. Sure I'll have something now and then- but overall I've added a ton more veggies to my diet and it's easy cuz I'm not counting calories all the time.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #4  

Thanks Beerab, I have PCOS also. Were you a sugar addict (for lack of a better term) before you started ph 1? I'm thinking of doing a no sugar week or 2 before even doing a real ph1.

Ruth, thanks, I had actually read that thread before. I guess I'm asking for more than what I read there but I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Has anyone done this plan with kids at home?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #5  

I have a 3-yo but I'm probably atypical since he doesn't eat dinner with us, so I can't really comment on how easy it is to work the plan around kids who are used to eating the same food at the same time as you.

I find that there is much more cooking involved on SB than WW. On WW you could just grab a pot of pre-made salad/sandwiches/soup/whatever but you have to be much more careful on SB so I end up cooking everything myself. With more than one kid, this could get old real quickly, so I'd suggest doubling up on everything and freezing half for another day.

I've been on the beach since mid August and have lost 28lb, despite being on a high dose of prednisolone. When I'm in my groove, it's easy. If I go off-plan for a few days (birthdays etc) then it's difficult to get back into it (my body remembers the carbs very clearly). Oh, I lost about 10lb in Phase 1.

Good luck!
Shimmy Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Gymrat,

I don't have kids, so can't help you there.

I am really happy with SB. The reason I chose SB, was that I was interested in eating healthier as I lost weight, after a disasterous last winter with 100 cal packs of oreos and doritos.

My weight is coming off slowly and consistently and the best part is that I feel great! My DH loves all kinds of foods and enjoys the fact that he is eating healthy, too.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

JoAnn!

I think Phase 1 could be difficult for you at first, but remember that even though P1 lasts 2 weeks, it usually takes only 3-5 days for you to detox from the sugar. The rest is much easier. Personally, I have hypoglycemia, so I get even bigger dips and rises in my blood sugar, and perhaps it's a bit like what you experience? Anyways, when I've been really high on sugar for a while, P1 can be really hard. I just take the time to plan for success (check out the thread on that--it's stickied in this forum) and ensure that I won't be tempted. That helps a lot. So does recognizing that the worse P1 is, the more addicted you were to sugar. Know what I mean? Even though P1 might be harder for you than some, you are going to know so much more relief than they will...life will be SO different for you on the other side of that detox! I was SHOCKED at how much living there was...how much color there was in life when I wasn't constantly battling with my urge to eat, with the manic highs and depressing lows of my blood sugar rising and falling like a roller coaster. I think you'll feel the same. It's SO worth it!

Hope you feel the same way. As for weight, I lost almost 120 pounds a couple years ago. I kept it off (while trying to lose another 25) for about a year, then had some hard things happen in my life and gained back about 40. I've lost most of that now and am on my way downward. It's a great plan!

Last edited by beachgal; 11-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #8  

I have a 12 year old and have been on South Beach since 2004. If I wouldn't cheat, my weight would be where it should be. Brian eats mostly the same stuff that I do although his breakfast and lunch (he eats lunch at school) are not on plan. Sometimes I fix different vegetables for him. Is there something in particular you wanted to know about South Beach and kids? We use skim milk but he is older. A little one still needs whole milk.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome JoAnn! I have problems with dropping blood sugar too. As long as I remembered to eat beans and lf dairy with each meal I had no trouble in Phase 1. I learned that after crashing two days in a row You're smart to ask before starting
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #10  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have lost about half of what I need to lose (maybe a little less). SBD food is healthy food for kids, they will pick up their carbs in other places...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Height: 5'5"

Default SO far.....

I have lost about 20 pounds in 3 months. It would be a lot more if I had not cheated several times. The last few weeks have been really bad. Too many parties with too much good food. SO I need to get back on track. Good luck to everyone else!
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #12  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

This may be a good time to switch your whole familiy's eating habits so they learn early to be healthy and stay healthy and not have to worry about losing weight when they get older. Wish I had started years ago when my kids were little. (they kind of naturally eat healthy, but I wish I wouldn't have given them ANY junk when they were little!)
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #13  
Be happy.

Our kids were in high school the last time I was on SBD and it wasn't a big deal. There were nights when I'd bake white potatoes or fix some rice or egg noodles for DH and the kids to go along with a meal, but for the most part they just ate what I ate and didn't seem to mind.

I made sure I always had some of their favorite stuff in the house just as I'd always had, but to be honest most of the time I'd try to pick up things I didn't like myself. :P Doritos, fruit flavored ice creams, etc. lol

I was able to get to my goal and then maintained for close to a year. It was a rewarding and pretty painless way to lose weight but sadly I'm an emotional eater and I never really changed that last time. I let my weight creep back up so here I am again. I started ph 1 on Oct 3rd and I'm down 14 lbs already.

Last edited by Heidi58; 11-05-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #14  

Thank you all for your answers. All of the info. is very helpful. My kids aren't very little anymore (10 and 12) so I think it can be done. I don't keep a lot of junk in the house anyway. I can get ice cream for them so that I don't have cookies or brownies calling me! I guess the hardest meals are the ones where everything is mixed together, like last night's taco casserole. I really don't want to cook separately for myself. I also may have trouble staying out of the pasta if I cook some for dh and dd's.

It will take some figuring out. I'm trying to do a pre-ph 1 this week, meaning no sugar or other junk but I may have fruit or bread occasionally (wait, isn't that ph. 2?).

I'm afraid of doing a good ph.1 now then blowing it all on Thanksgiving, but I don't want to wait until after Thanksgiving either since there's always another holiday or party coming along.

You gals are doing great with your weight loss, it really gives me some hope!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #15  

One more thing, I went back and looked at my past threads. I sound like a broken record! I was asking the same questions a year ago. That's an eye opener! If only I would have done this last year... well, looks like now is the time.