Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready To Lose..Volume #94

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME!!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hey Terri: You know you're not allowed to start a new thread and then not post!

Honey's been off all week so we've done nearly nothing. He did start cardiac rehab and has gone three times this week. Guess it's time for me to get on one of my "evil" machines and do something about exercise myself. We've been eating much better and the scale has been coming down, little by little, for me but his is stuck! Awwww, too bad. Just kidding, he needs to be losing too.

I had to be a "showgirl" tonight for the new Billy Bob Thornton movie School for Scoundrels. It gets released on the 29th and there was a "sneak preview" tonight that we had to count patrons for and get audience reactions. It was pretty funny in parts and absolutely hilarious in other parts. Probably not a movie I would spend money on, but definitely one to rent.

Tomorrow I'm headed to Fashion Bug. They got in some nice "hoodies" and they're running a storewide 40% off sale. I don't know if it's all over the country but if you gals need some new duds for Fall, and there's a Fashion Bug near you, you might just want to give them a call and see if it's on in your neck of the woods.

I'm having the boys and my mom over for dinner in the evening. (You know, if you feed them, they will come! ) We were going to head out to Shipshawana, Indiana on Monday morning but found out that our dear friend has to have a heart cath on Monday instead (they were going to go with us). So Honey and I decided we would cancel as well and stick close to home to see how he is. We'll see, maybe on Tuesday we'll head to Frankenmuth for the night instead. Honey's got vacation until Wednesday.

That's about all that's new. Raining and cold here for the last 4 days or so.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Just to add: Fashion Bug is doing the 40% on their website too, in case you don't have one near you and want to take a peek.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Rats! I just wrote a post and ka-bloo-ey! In summary I said:
Hi everybody!
I went to an auction. Fun. Packed good food for day. Forgot to take it. Boo! Hiss!
Bought a couple great things I needed cheap.
The adventure wore the dogs out & they let me sleep in until 8:30.
I'm off to burn some calories.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #5  

Hello, all!

I really thought I was back to stay last time, but first life got in the way, and then I lost my motivation big time.

I've been trying to get back on a diet for a week now. Yesterday was Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year), and I wanted to start the new year out right. I failed, though I'm eating better meals. The drugstore had this outrageous sale on candy. I'd gone in because they had a great price on raisins. Okay, I also planned to buy some candy, but the idea is to have it on hand to eat in controlled amounts. (Not keeping it around doesn't work for me, as I'll only go buy it when I have a craving.) Well, I didn't control myself.

For me, it's all about having good meals full of fiber, meaning I've cooked before I'm too hungry to wait and the food is satisfying and stills my appetite. I have absolutely no control when my appetite is raging. I keep trying...

Anyway, today wasn't good but it wasn't tremendously bad, either. Breakfast was good. Lunch was canned soup and candy -- the bad part of the day.

Dinner was marvelous! I made an American Heart Association recipe called Spanish Shrimp. Don't know how Spanish it really is, but it was delicious! Basically, you saute onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil, then add shrimp, lime juice, cilantro and red pepper flakes. (I usually add lots of cilantro.) I wish I'd made some rice to put it over -- and that I'd made more servings, as I only bothered with one. Well, I'll be making it again, and I'll make more then.

I re-injured my knee tripping over a dropcloth last week. The swelling finally went away last night -- and don't you know, I tripped again today. Can't move it easily now, so there goes my chance at walking for a while longer (my favorite form of exercise). But I now have regular access to an exercise bike, so it's a matter of getting myself to use it nightly.

Right now, I'm resting the knee so I can stand up to cook a few things for lunches this week.

Sorry, I know I'm running on. All my non-dieting resulted in a 7 pound weight gain. I refuse to up my signature counter. Give me two weeks, and if it's not all off by then, I'll move it up.

Thin, about Fashion Bug, I had a coupon for them, but by the time I decided to head over to one, it had expired. Wish I knew where I'd gotten the coupon and how to score another.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #6  

Well poo.

I had a post typed earlier but see that I really did lose it.

Hmm, I've had a few Bailey's on ice so not sure what I had to say.

We've had a great trip. DH has thoroughly enjoyed the reunion. There was a meeting yesterday morning and the spouses played games in another room and held an auction to raise money. Last night was a banquet dinner. He finally met a guy that he served with back in 65-67. They have been talking non-stop since. He's sitting outside the room with three other guys talking as we speak. He's taking over the 'ship's store' for the group so we're bringing home all the inventory. We got that honor because DH has had t-shirts made for us each of the two years that we've gone. This year the gal who does the work made up a sample hat and another t-shirt that they all loved. This has been so good for him.

We did take a lunch tour on the General Jackson. The other couple from last night went with us and we had a blast. Good food and good country music. Too busy laughing and having a good time to notice that we were on a river boat. DH and I then took a tour of the stars homes. It was more like a tour of Nashville at 90 mph. We did see a ton of magnificent homes. Very beautiful city. I love it here. We met with the couple again and another couple and just closed down Applebee's in the hotel. Which is why DH is now sitting on the brick wall outside our room. Taking the tours was great for DH too. Let him know that we can take his walker and he can be accomodated. He sits and I push when its a long distance. People look at us like he has two heads which I'm not quite sure why because its no different than him being in a wheelchair.

Tomorrow, we're headed towards Lexington, KY and will be staying all night in Paducah. Tuesday, we'll drive on home and stop and pick up Bear on the way. Hopefully all the storm stuff has settled down and there's no flooding up that way.

I'm going to go finish shopping at Fashion Bug!!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 AM   #7  

Well double poo!!!!!!!!!!

I was shopping online at FB and had quite the order almost ready to checkout and its now after midnight on the east coast. And all the discounts just disappeared. Now, if that doesn't suck. I had started this earlier in the evening but the website was almost non-responsive. They just lost a sale from me because I'm not paying full price.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #8  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Lilion, congrats on the NSV. Great dress! Maybe when I can get back into my silver one I can head over to MI and we can have a girls' night out...

Mother, Good job on the loss. Now remember, you should be happy when you do what you know you should, no matter what the scale says. I had no loss last week, but I made some progress... just a little... on some bad habits. So I'm patting myself on the back big time. Next week I'll make a little more progress, and maybe a pound or two will come off, but even if it doesn't, my habits will be better, and it'll be easier to make another small change, and eventually it WILL come off.

Valerie--Back on the wagon, lady! Or should I say back on the horse!

Have a great week everyone... let's get psyched!!!

GO TEAM GO!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #9  
Hang In There

Getting Ready to go to work and see if anyone shows up!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #10  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning all! I was thinking about when all this weight is off, it might be kinda scary. I know when I wasn't fat, if I got attention from men, it freaked me out. I am going to have to deal with it if it happens to me again. I don't want fat to be my armour, or my thing to hide behind. Another thought. When really heavy folks lose weight, is there usually lots of baggy skin? If so, I wonder if skin banks exist for burn victims and if they do, they should take off the extra skin for free since we could donate it to them.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #11  

Howdy chicks,

We're in Paducah, KY for the evening. We headed out from Nashville this morning and took a scenic drive through central Kentucky. We didn't make it far enough over for Lexington and the horse farms. But we enjoyed the drive through the country. Very pretty state.

I dumped DH off at the motel and headed over to the mall. I had already scouted out that Paducah has a CJ Banks store which is my most favorite for buying work clothes. Expensive as all get out but they have great quality clothes that are suitable for someone over 40 and has a career. I usually shop the sale racks. I found some great buys. I bought one kick-*** denim style jacket in a black/white/blue pattern that wasn't on sale. But it is kick-***. I also hit Dillard's again to find new slacks for work. I had decided it was time to upgrade from the cotton style Dockers to a dressier style of pants. Found some of those on sale too.

Gosh hope there's room for Bear in the back tomorrow!

DH is all set for Monday night football.

Lilion - You look fabulous in that dress!

Sienna - Sorry about the knee and the seven pounds. I've been off track too and its time for both (all) of us to get it together. If for nothing else, our overall health.

Angela - Good job on keeping at it and making small improvements. How are all the classes going?

Barb.G - How's work today?

Valerie - What cool stuff did you find at the auction?

Thin - Thanks for the tip on Fashion Bug. I just couldn't get to it before it was too late. So I took my dollars and spent them today at CJ Banks and Dillards instead. What fun stuff did you buy?

Mother - I never thought about donating all the extra skin for burn victims. Thats an idea.

I think I'll go check work emails and see what happened today.

to everyone!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #12  

Unhappy

Hello everyone!

Well here it is on Monday night. It's been a long, long, long and unpleasant weekend. DH and I spent the night and day Sunday in St. Louis at a hospital intensive care waiting room. Seems his oldest nephew - 19 or 20 years old - made himself a homemade bomb out of fireworks and basically blew himself up. Apparently it's not uncommon these days for guys around where he lives (in the country-not city) to use fireworks to see how big of a bang they can get and just blow stuff up. IDIOTS!

Anway, he blew off one hand and whether they'll save the other is up in the air. He had horrible bruising of his lungs that wasn't caused by impact, it was caused by the concussion! It is truely a miracle that the boy is alive. We went up Sat. nght and stayed until Sun. and he's stll on a respirator. DH went back up there so I'm home alone with DS.

So anyway, as you can imagine - I've not worried a whole lot about food. I actually did very well at the hospital...but we stopped for dinner at a truck stop when we were on the way home and I pigged out on Country fried steak and hash browns and biscuits and gravy...you get the idea. Actually, I did split the stead with DH, had only one biscuit and left part of the eggs and hash browns. Still, lots of fat. I just counted all my flex points on one day and called it a 30 pt meal. Best I can do.

Sorry to be a downer and run...but it's late and I'm tired so I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #13  

Lilion - I am very sorry to see that about your nephew. He has a long road to go for recovery. He and his family will be in my prayers.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

WELCOME BACK SIENA!! You haven't failed until you've quit trying! Hang in there. Can you try to plan even one or two meals that you can just take out of the fridge/freezer and microwave when you're super hungry? I don't like to eat prepared stuff, but I keep one or two Lean Cuisine on hand for emergencies. It sounds like that shrimp recipe would be perfect to make extra of and freeze. Yum.

TERRI, I got 3 girths so now I have a complete assortment from 44 to 52. I got 2 bits that I was planning on buying anyway, some new stirrup leathers and a couple trinkets - a horsey keychain and a hoof knife. A couple great saddles went through that KILLED me not to bid on, but I don't NEEEEEEEED a saddle right now... Well I DO, but not bad enough to part with the cash under the circumstances.

Speaking of the circumstances, I had an interview today that I thought went really well. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow. I'll certainly let you know.

I stayed SO O.P. today! Just 41 days left to go until I'm 20 pounds lighter. That's what I'm shooting for anyway. Hey, aim high, right? I just need an 1800 calorie deficit a day. I'll be happy to see that stubborn scale moving again regardless of whether I make it or not. I just figure I might as well make good use of my competitive side. This is a very fixed period of time, and a set program that I've committed to sticking to. Here goes! (Where's the jumping off a cliff smiley?)
Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #15  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Lilion--How terrible. Hope you and DH are taking care of yourselves, too. Good thoughts for your nephew.

Valerie--Hope it's good news on that interview. WTG on the SO OP day.

Terri--Classes are okay, thanks for asking. Just keeping me so busy I barely have a chance to stop and think. It's now 10:35, and I've been on campus and pretty much working constantly since 8 a.m. Managed to get my exercise in by walking to a lecture and back this evening. I just keep reminding myself.... next semester will be GREAT. Only 11 weeks left in this one!!!

Okay ladies, hang in, and have a great OP Tuesday.
Closed Thread