Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #1  

Red face Newbie Introduction & A Question/Dilema

Hi all, I'm new. Like others I'm sure this isn't the first time I've tried to lose weight. I've tried WW a few times and other things. This time I'm trying something different called Thintuition. A friend of mine is on it and likes it so I figured I'd give it a try.

So on to my question/dilemma. I'm wondering if someone other in the 300+ range has this same problem. The program I'm on is an at home program, so weigh-ins are at home. Right now I have a bathroom scale that goes up to 380. Unfortunately, I'm above that. I don't want to go buy another scale (I doubt I could afford it, either, I haven't found many inexpensive ones that would work for me), my Dr's office scale only goes up to 350 (it's a newish, small office), and I don't belong to a gym. Is there anywhere else I could weigh in until I get under the capacity of my scale?
Sevryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #2  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

SabrinaFaire

Hi there,
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but i wanted to just say welcome and hello
Why don't you join us in the main thread. It's in this forum with a number on it, we just keep adding until it gets huge and then we create a new number.
It's a thread used for the daily conversation stuff - how we're doing, if we have any ups and downs, etc.

Good for you for giving it another go. We've pretty much all been in the same position, and know where you're comin from there.

~Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 AM   #3  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Hiya Sabrina ... Maybe instead of weighing in .. you can measure in? Until you get down to your scale weight anyway. I mean you know how much you are now .. so where did you weigh yourself for that figure?? Can you get there once a month maybe and just do your weigh in monthly?

Im doing my Jenny Craig at home too (as Im too far from a base to be able to go to weigh in), and had to buy a set of scales .. but mine only go up to 150kg too ... seems sad that the doctors office dont have ones that go up higher tho

Im sorry I cant help with any better ideas .. although .. if you do have to buy another set of scales .. maybe you could look at them as being YOUR scales, so no-one else can foul them up or anything and have just those ones to measure your successes by .. or sell them when you get down to the scales weight limit for the ones you already have?

Its great that you have taken the steps forward for a new and healthy lifestyle again .. BRAVO! Maybe you could join in one of the Xmas Challenges .. there is one there for pant sizes lost by Xmas if you dont want to do the pounds by Xmas ones. Have fun and join in for laughs, support, inspiration, motivation and ideas ... this is a great site filled with a lot of lovely people

Katt
Nightkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I used to work in a doctors office and we had patient's that weighed over the scales limit sometimes. If they were due in for surgery, we HAD to have an accurate weight. If you dont mind weighing in public, we used to send them to the post office or to a vet's office. I know it is weird but it worked. I dont know why scales dont go higher, it just seems rediculous, especially those in doctors offices.

Good luck on your weight loss and welcome to the board.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Do you feel the need for any in-person support? If so, I believe my current TOPS chapter scale is digital and goes up to at least 400 pounds. TOPS is a non-profit weight loss support group, so it's cheaper than things like WW, LAWL, and whatnot, and you can follow any plan you want (we have member who do WW Points, some low-carb, some count calories...). They do offer a book with an exchange program, but you're not required to follow it. Anyway, I thought you might want to contact your local TOPS chapter (you can find one at www.tops.org ) to see if maybe their scale went high enough--you can always go to one meeting first for free without joining

In any case, WELCOME to the group!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I know it is frustrating to not see your progress but I would highly recommend measuring. Measure as best you can and you may even need 2 measuring tapes as I know when I started, my hips were larger than 60 inches.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #7  
Staying Positive!

S/C/G: 398/258/199

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Neli and Katt. Measure yourself until you are able to weigh yourself again. I had the same problem with my doctors scale only going to 350. So I had to buy me a scale that went to 380. Slowly I worked myself down one pound at a time but it was hard and upsetting not to be able to weigh in at the doctors office. Anyway Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
rkrs6673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Sabrina! Welcome to the group.

First to your question: We've had several girls over the course of the years that have used truck stop scales. Apparently, there are $.25 scales inside the truck stops that weigh the higher weights. If you're near any major freeways that might be an option. I also think a couple of the girls have weighed on those scales that they put at like K-Mart and other places.

Second: Please join in on the discussion threads and let everyone get to know you. The one we're currently on is located here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91314

Hope to see you joining us.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Sabrina! As far as measuring tapes go, you can get longer ones from sewing and quilting shops (or online). Since my hips are wider than 60", I got one online that goes to at least 80".

I think there is someone here that weighs using more than one scale, but I can't remember who that is. I am also not sure how they do it exactly.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #10  

for the ideas everyone!

The weight I have listed now is a guess. That's what I was last time I was weighed in April. I guess it could have gone up or down by now. That was done at my old Dr's office who had a high capacity scale. My new Dr's office has a regular weighted scale that only goes up to 350. In their defense, the new Dr's office is a MUCH smaller practice than the old one. It's just the doctor and her one office/nurse person who happens to be my friend. So I can get the "skinny" on if they ever get new equipment. I may ask her if maybe there are other Drs offices in her building that would let me use their scale or something. I hadn't thought of that before.

I do have a measuring tape... somewhere. I know it's on my desk here just got to move some junk and I'm sure I'll uncover it.
Sevryn is offline   Reply With Quote