Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #84

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

Not much happening. I've more or less been awake since 3:30 am. And no, I didn't spend that time exercising. I did do about 50 situps on the stability ball and did so some work with the dumbbells. I could just lay over on the couch and now go back to sleep. Too much on my mind.

Things could be changing at work for me in the very near future. If they are approved by the CEO. Or he could say no. I'll share more when I know more that is going to happen. Just means more work, extremely challenging work that I have no exposure to, huge chance to fail, more money, and more hours. That part doesn't make me happy but it is a chance to continue with that employer. Rather terrifying. Keep your until the weekend.

Tonight, we're driving back up to the old neighborhood to have dinner with the couple across the street. She is having her first baby and is due on 9/7. She had invited me to her baby shower last Saturday but I bailed out on that and suggested dinner instead. This way, DH can participate and we can visit with both of them. He has two kids from his first marriage that are in college and a Sr in HS. She had been told that they would never have kids and have let nature take its course for 10+ years. She learned how to spell S*U*R*P*R*I*S*E. We're very happy for them.

We've been letting Ginger and Spice out with the other horses. The vet on Tuesday said to let them go and they will work it out. DH said there was a little bit of a rodeo when he first let Ginger out because the others ran after them. But, since Ginger is the dominant mare of them all, she quickly put them in their place. Gotta love animal family dynamics. By the time I got home on Tuesday, they were all standing together eating grass. One would turn towards her and she'd pin her ears back and they would move off. We sat out on the porch and watched them for a long time. (We like cheap entertainment). At one point, Peso walked up towards Ginger while Spice was having her dinner of milk, and Spice turned around and kicked with both feet at Peso several times. Now that was because she's smaller than Bear and was kicking at a 1-1/2 yo who is so much bigger. She is living up to her name. I'll have to take more pics tonight because I was looking at her this morning and she has grown like a weed. Ginger is thrilled to be out of the corral which is why we had the rodeo last night. She refused to go in to the area so I could feed her as she is getting different hay and food than the others. And she wouldn't let me catch her. She wanted to eat with the others. They were all in danger of becoming dog food!!

Since I don't know much else, think I'll watch a little bit of the Today show.

Have a great Thursday and try to stay cool!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #3  
Hang In There

Hi Gang,
Nothing much ahppening around here. I did go towater areobics yesterday abd planned on going to work out this morning, but I slept too late. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Maybe that the root of my problem, No sense of urgentsey.

Slim, that's so sad about your neice's BF. and scary too.
Congrats to Lillion and all the others that are loosing.
Ruth, Hang in there, I'm right there beside you.
Teri, we are ready for the new pics. I'll kepp my fingers crossed about your work situation.

My workplace continues to be the circus. The girl I had a run-in with lasst week had another run-in with another employee yesterday and got mad and walked out. A few hours later she changed her mind and called and wanted to come back, but at least the HR ladie had the sense to tell her no thanks. We have enought people who stir things up behind the scenes, we don't need one that makes them so public.

Well, yes I have my O back, but it's strange typing on a full size keyboard again. I was used to the smaller laptop keyboard!!!

Well, I'm off to the circus again, so everyone have a good day.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #4  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, no IM yesterday after all. After work I ran home, fixed a VERY quick dinner and then DH and I grabbed DS and took him to sign up for his first year of middle school. 6th grade! I don't know how it happened so fast! Anyway, that lasted about 1 1/2 hours and then we went grocery shopping - another 1 hour so by the time we got home it was nearly 9:00. Then there were dishes from dinner to do and dogs to feed (since the little snots wouldn't eat when we ate) so it was after 9:30 p.m. before I ever got to sit down! I'm just absolutely BEAT! And sore - I did weights on Tuesday too, so missing last night means my arms are killing me today!

I SO wanted to stay home today. DH is off today and tomorrow and then works Saturday. Then he's off two days again and then begins the 4:00 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. shift. I HATE this! I know it's a better job but I feel like I have until Monday and then I will never see him again. (Okay - I'll see him now and then, but I probably won't be sleeping with him - in any description of the word!) I mean, I'll be sleeping when he's working and he'll be sleeping when I'm working. The only time (four days a week) that we'll be in the house at the same time is 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. and I'll be asleep for most of that! It's just a terrible shift.

Terri: I'll keep my fingers crossed for your new job. Morale and job satisfaction here is at an all time low...for reasons too numerous to mention, and every day they add to the list! But, at least we know the state government isn't going out of business any time soon. (Although it wouldn't bother me for SOME of the individuals to be out!) I hope you don't have the insomnia going on too long! I hate when I can't turn off my brain. Looking forward to more baby horse pictures.

Leah: I'm SO SORRY to hear about your family's loss! What a horrible waste - put in jail for a vehical equiptment problem and lack of insurance? It's just so senseless. As to the weather, we have the same saying in Missouri about the weather! But it hasn't held true recently - and we all REALLY want it to be! Hot and dry again today - for ages now - high today is supposed to be 102!

Celery: Hang in there! Plateaus like to steal your motiviation and determination...don't let it! You're doing GREAT!

Barbara: Well, you know it wasn't just you if that woman made a fuss with someone else, huh? Gosh, I wish we could just tell folks we no longer want their business!

Okay...too many Hen's MIA these days! Valerie? Did you drive off the edge of the world? Thin...we were getting used to those posts! Karen - time for more info! Everyone else! You know who you are! (I'm still upset we never got to see the cookie table!) Hellooooo!

Must run I guess. Or at least trudge - that suits the mood in my work-place WAY better than running..."To trudge the slow, weary, depressing, yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left except the impulse to simply soldier on." Sorry...I've seen A Knight's Tale too many times - but it's such a descriptive line!

Later ladies!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  

Default Me again!

I thought I had better come back and try to finish the post I started yesterday. I was interupted by a phone call about my DHs older brother. He is in the hospital, he has cancer and it is just a matter of time for him. Very sad. We expect to get a call at any moment telling us he has passed away. I cringe every time the telephome rings.

Barb, I am sorry to here you are right there with me with the frustration with FOOD. Maybe you and I can get back on the right path and manage to stay there.

Lilion, on that weight loss. You go girl. I wonder if I will ever see 244 again. SOB! Well, at least the ice cream is gone. DH finished it. It is tooooo hot to ride a bike and there is no way this big old butt of mine is going to sit on one of those things again, but I think you are very brave.

Terri, hurry up and show us how much Spice has grown. Sounds as if Ginger has everything under control with the other horses. Good mama. Here is for the job If it is what you want I hope it works out for you.

My Mom is due to come home next Sunday...do you think that could be the reason I am stressing? I love my Mom. but I have no life of my own when she is with me.

To everyone else... Take care, Ruth
Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 366/313/199

Height: 5 ft 11 inches

Default Helllooo..Question to the old gals about something sensitive.

Hi there,
I have been a member for just a bit and don't always get to the computer to post but I usually read your posts every day. Good job on the losses and victories. I have a question that only someone in "our" postion could answer and it is a bit sensitive.
Any way.....I have been exercising and have lost some weight...not a ton but some and a ton of inches with alot to go....I am not at goal by any means...just to state that....anyway....This time when I have lost I have lost alot of inches and seems volume??? in my breasts. When I was younger when I lost weight I would lose all over...but now...my DD's are...I am not sure. They are like to breasts that people joke about. Deflated....hanging...awful looking things. My nipples point at the floor and there is absolutly no tissue at the top....sand in a tube sock is how my 23 year old daughter....with great breasts decribed them...unfortunetly....it is true!!!!!
It may seem vain to you and that it should be the least of my worries, but it really seemed to happen over night and makes me feel soooo old and not very attractive.
My hubby says I am beautiful...but come on... I have to roll them up to get them in a bra....any way....is this what I have to look forward to???? AAHHHH!!! LOL!!!!
Leslie....not very smoldering at the moment.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #7  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

LEAH, what a horrifying thing to have happen!!! I just can't imagine what you're all going through. Certainly my heart and prayers are with your family right now!

LILION, You jus be smokin there my friend! A huge whoop! whoop! for both the bike ride AND the I.M.!!

LESLIE - "have to roll them up to get them in a bra" Hahahaha! I'm sorry - I'm so delighted that my "F's" have gone down to DD's that I just can't tell you. I still dream of having a hooter job, but I'd be VERY happy with a pair of perky little A's... ok, or maybe B's.

BARB, so if I understand you correctly, the circus is now down one more clown? COngrats on getting your "O" back, although I have to admit your post were pretty entertaining even without the o's.

TERRI - YES! By all means, more pictures! Of the horses, not the skinny-dipping tho, ok?

RUTH - I hope you get back in your groove without us leaving any bruises from all the *kick-butts*. I know that lost/who cares? feeling, and I'm sorry you're facing it. You'll get through it, I just hope it's soon and you are able to do some sort of exercise or something that's Good For Ruth today!

JOE ANNE - Where are you? Were you able to get your walk in today? What did you do for yourself today??

ME? I got my walk in this morning, in spite of the soggy SC heat and humidity. Like 'Bama, the temps weren't too bad at 5 a.m., but the still wetness of the air was horrible!

I also made an appointment with an attorney for when I get home at Labor Day. I have to get this financial thing, as well as the psychological & emotional mess of mine settled once and for all. My dad is coming down from NY for moral support (his insistance) and I don't konw where it will lead, but all this depression and running in circles can't go on. But I'm the only one who's going to stop it or do anything about it. Bill will keep going like this as long as I allow it. I'm looking for an off-the-truck job immediately. There's no point in waiting until the first of the year, or next spring, or anything. What will change between then and now? Nothing. Bill's also looking at dumping $$ into his vile daughters wedding (f she can't be civil to me for this many years, she can buy her own d**m cake) and he's being secretive and sneaky about it all. An attorney is the only way to know what I'm doing with the business partnership, as well as the personal junk.

Enough crap. I'm takin' back my life. (Sing it Joss Stone!!! "You Had Me, You lost me, you're wasted, you cost me...")
Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #8  

Leslie: I don't know how old you are, but I feel your pain! I never had "huge tracts of land" - at my highest weight I was about a 42D realistically I was between a C and D cup. Now I'm wearing a 38C but it's a pretty empty C. I love my new size (a large 18) I HATE my new body. Clothed I'm happy, but looking into the mirror naked is not pleasant. Bad enough the boobs are saggy, but the thighs and tummy are too.

There is no lotion or magic pill to firm up either. I suspect building the pecs will raise the girls a bit, but I don't think anything short of surgery will do the trick entirely. Sad but true.

So...I'd rather be thin and flabby, but boy I wish I could be thin and firm!

Valerie: Sounds like you made some hard decisions during this time on the road. Be strong!

No IM tonight and dinner not too good...heck, lets be honest...it was bad! But we did take the pups for a nice walk, about 2/3 of a mile and then play with them with the hose. Suzie LOVES the hose - she goes nuts trying to bite the water and practically drowns herself! Now it's nearly 9 and I am hitting the hay at 9 on the DOT - so I better take off! Later dear ladies!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Good evening, chickies.

Today is my birthday, I am now officially older than dirt - 58.
My daughter gave me a Nintendo 64, with some games - we used to have one, but it broke, and we didn't replace it. Oh, yeah, Zelda and the Ocarina of Time - I am SO good at the game!
DH asked me what I wanted -- I told him to wait until I lose some more weight, and then he can help me pay for some new clothes - most of what I have is baggy, but wearable, but in another 20 lbs or so, my wardrobe will have issues.

But today, the food is hard - I want to EAT and EAT and EAT. Tuesday and Wednesday, they were painting our office (I've got asthma), Wednesday, I walked outside to get some air, to try to get the gunk out of my lungs, the lawn service had just been there, so I walked around the cement corner, hoping to find someplace where I could get some air without grass clippings/ mold, and walked into 3 programmers having an outdoor smoking meeting! I hate extra drugs, they make me edgy. I finally called in sick today - my boss won't let me work at home - next time they paint, I'll have this documented.

We had Chinese food for dinner, no more cholesterol for the rest of the week - I had spareribs.
This evening is "Begin at once, and do the best you can."

My word, last week I'm thinking that we're a pretty dull group, and then this week we all have these eventful lives:

Leah - God, I am so sorry. Even the money from the lawsuit (hint- wrongful death - hint) isn't going to make your neice's life ever ok. This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder if there really IS a purpose behind things.

Terri - I wish you so much luck with the new job. I know that it's a real challenge for you, but I do believe you can do it. And at least you'll be away from some of the idiots you've been stuck with.

Valerie - you go, girl!
I hate being a grownup too sometimes, but I'm learning that that seems to be my lot in life. Hmmm. I wonder if this has something to do with my weight????

Vixen - my boobs sag almost as much as my gut. I'm thinking about seeing if I can find some freelance work to start saving for a lift (who am I kidding, if I find any, I'll probably give it to DD for college)

DH hasn't heard back on the interview, but he thinks it went OK. He has another interview Monday. We'll see. Over the next month or so, kids will be going back to school, and schedules will be changing all over the place. Should be some more opportunities.

Well, take care all.

Sue
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 366/313/199

Height: 5 ft 11 inches

Default Hey there chickadees!

Thanks for the replies...I guess getting older is not for the weak and wimpy. I too would rather be slim and saggy than fluffy and heavy and you know....

Happy Birthday Sue.... 58 is hardly older than dirt...lol. Hope you enjoy many, many more...thinner and as happy as ever.

Lilian it sounds as if you are on fire with desire to make better choices. I have also made the decision for today to do goods things for myself. I have fed my body well and given it some exercise...hopefully it will appreciate this and send the good things back to me....karma....does that work on yourself??? I think maybe.

Valerie, What a brave person you sound to be! It is wonderful that you have a supportive pops to help you make such difficult decisions. Continue to treat yourself well...feed yourself with healthy food to fuel your brain for clear thinking, your body strength and feed your heart with positive thoughts of yourself and the life you are building.....I will keep you in the light.

Thanks again Ladies, You are all inspirational.....Leslie
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #11  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good evening,

Just a quick check in, i'm still fine.

Leah, just wanted to say, i'm so sorry for your family's loss. What a waste! I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Hope everyone else if having a great week! I'll read more later.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #12  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi all. Small set back today. I need to change my schedule and exercise in the evening, b/c school's starting soon and there's just no way I'll get up early enough to exercise before I dress and leave for class, so I decided to try the new schedule today, and guess what... I never got my exercise in. Ridiculous. But I will get to bed shortly and try to get up at a decent hour and make it work tomorrow.

Leah, my thoughts are with your family. What a senseless tragedy.

Valerie, BIG HUGS. You deserve to take care of yourself. You're doing the right thing, obviously.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #13  

Vortex, this is exactly what I'm afraid is going to happen with me. School starts a week from Monday and like you, I"m going to have to change my time at the gym to the late afternoon or evening and like you, the few attempts I've made to try this out have not gone well at all.... I"m tired at the end of the day!

So what are we gonna do?

Love,
Celery
Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #14  
Hang In There

Leslie: I just happen to have the official answer for you. My Friend/boss Pam had WLS about a year and a half ago. She has lost about 120 pounds and she describes her boobs exactly as you do. Right now she is waiting to get scheduled for plastic surgery for a "lift" Unfortunately there are no exercises or anything that can help the situation. She was told that insurance WILL NOT pay for lifts in any circumstance. If you have a REDUCTION there is a good chance that insurance will pay, but in her case (and probably yours) she has lost enough weight that she does not qualify for a reduction.. so bottom line the cost of the surgery here in Dallas is going to be about $8000.00 that includes the doctors fee, the OR and a 23 hours stay at the hospital.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Cool Just letting you know where I've been.

Tuesday was an exciting day spent at the Dr.'s and the hospital with Honey. It seems he had a heart attack. Started with heartburn on Monday afternoon, then a tightness in the chest and then cold sweats. By Tuesday morning he was asking me to call the Dr. which is so unusual for him.

Anyway, the Dr. , bless his heart, found nothing on the EKG, because in my opinion they're useless unless you're actually in the throes of a heart attack, but called ahead and made arrangements for him to go to the ER and called in heart specialists.

The thought was they would observe him overnight with a heart monitor and then do a stress test this morning followed by whatever they needed to do.

Well, once we were at the hospital, the blood enzymes came back positive for a heart attack and so the stress test is cancelled and he's going directly to the cath lab this morning, not passing go, and not collecting $200.

Wednesday morning did the catheterization. He has one stent. The one artery was 95% blocked.

The proceedure went well. They kept him overnight.

The Dr. who sent him to the hospital called him Wednesday night and asked how he was doing. Honey told him "wonderful". They talked for quite a bit. Then I mouthed to Honey to make sure and thank him for being pro-active about this.

Honey had seen one of the other Doctors in this practice for severe back pain a few years ago and the guy did nothing diagnostic, not even an x-ray. He wrote a script for muscle relaxer and narcotic pain killers. Neither gave Jim any relief. When we called back, he wanted to see him again (you know, $$$$ for an office call) and still no diagnostics other than "let's see if you can touch your toes", just more scripts for pain meds. I was furious. Honey never went back.

When I called Tuesday morning, they said that since Honey hadn't been in to the office for 3 years his records were in storage. (Now I thought they had to keep them available for 7 years, but hey.) Anyway, they said they would have to treat him as a new patient. I asked for the Dr. he had seen before, only because it's usually so hard to get in to see a new Dr. as a first time patient and, THANK GOD, he wasn't in yesterday. This Dr. Fuller is newer to the practice and since they didn't have Honey's records anyway, they asked if he wanted Dr. Fuller to be his new Primary Care guy. He said "absolutely!"

I told Honey, "this guy saved your life!" He could have just as easily, and I'm convinced the other guy would have, sent him away with some script for something and then the next time Honey cut the grass, walked the stairs or whatever it would have been "the BIG one". We are sooooo blessed!!!

#1 Son came in Wednesday night. He was sitting at the end of the bed and I told him, "I'm going to say this to your brother too so don't feel as if I'm singling you out, but look at your dad and I. This is YOU if you don't change your habits now." He looked at me and said "ya, I know mom. I sat in my chair last night and I was thinking the same thing. My dad is just 53 and I came this close to losing him. I know what I should be doing, I just haven't had the motivation." I said, "welcome to MY world." Then I told him, "this may be the most important lesson your father has ever taught you."

Hopefully this is the wakeup call we've all needed. As I looked at Honey on that gurny Tuesday all I could think was that I expected it to be the other way around. Me on the bed, him on his feet. Very strange.

Well, that's MY week. I'm sorry but I haven't had time to read so I'm not up to date on what you've all been up to. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to catch up. Love ya bunches!
Closed Thread