Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #1  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #74

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #2  
Vortex

Close call today... let myself get too hungry, with no food in the apartment to speak of. I handled it, though, and I'm still under my calorie limit. I'm off to go watch Deadwood at some friends' house. Hope everyone's having a great day.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Angela: Good job managing to curb that hunger without going overboard! *Yes, it's PURPLE!!! Honey and I got the purple coat on this afternoon. We'll do the white tomorrow. But I think I will probably do the white by myself. You have to really be careful when two people are sponging because they each have a different "touch" or technique, if you will. So basically you each have to do you thing all over and that way the two "touches" blend together. That's what we did today. Tomorrow I want to use the smaller sponge (not smaller in size, smaller in grain, if a sponge has grain ) It will make it look like a veil of lacey over the purple. At least I want to give it a try.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #4  

Hi, all!

I "joined" back in thread #71 and then couldn't find my way back. Just figured out that the thread gets restarted with a new number. (Which, when I found #71 and read it, someone had tried to tell me.)

So first, thank you to all who welcomed me!

KristasMom, you had written:
Quote:
Actually, Valerie, I caught it - I called her to let her know that I was scheduling a dental implant as soon as I saw an article about it.
I'm planning to get a dental implant in a few months, and I wondered what the article was about that made you schedule an implant?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #5  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

A-HA, SIENA, glad you tracked us down. I always feel a little bad when someone joins and then disappears.

I survived the picnic in fairly good order - never did cave in to the melon or dessert pudding. It was the first time I felt comfortable talking to those family members about my weight loss. My MIL always used to say "So, are you losing any weight???" every time she saw me, even when I was at my highest ever weight. I found that offensive because it was so insincere. I'm just more comfortable with who I am, regardless of my weight I guess, and more comfortable talking about my diet and how I feel. ...Mind you, I STILL didn't mention how much I weighed of course! But they weren't asking that, they were just interested in how I did it and what I could and couldn't eat. I threw DH some compliments on how he was helping and supporting me, like gently reminding me that cranberries and peaches aren't allowed on Phase I. Yeah, he's a pain in the you-know-what sometimes, but he's still a good enough guy to keep around... I think.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Thin wrote:
"Cantforgetthis: Hope you slept well and will awaken brite eyed and bushy tailed. .......ok, so maybe you don't want the bushy tail. "

Well, I already have a "bushy tail"! That's why i'm HERE!

Terri, Happy Birthday!

Valerie, thanks for posting that hypnosis thread. Very interesting! I'd love to hear how it goes for you

Vortex, on your 1 day at a time shopping, I thought that was such a good idea. I just wish I would get my butt to the store! I live alone too and am pretty good about breakfast and lunch, but evening is a challenge. I do the smaller meals every few hours and I found that when I get home from work if I go into Fitday and enter what I've already had for the day, I have a better picture of what I might need to round out my day. I like to keep track of the ratios of carb/fat/protein. It works well for me.

I think I found a great way to get those greens in...Micro Greens. They are the cutest things Very tasty and easy to eat. $2 at Trader Joes for 2 servings.

I hope everyone has a fabulous 4th!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!

Woohoo, I actually did my pilates and some weight work this morning. I was so stiff in the hip and lower back yesterday it was pathetic. I took that as a sign that I need to get back to my conditioning exercises.

I spent a great deal of my birthday outside in the heat. I got four containers up to the front porch and planted with flowers. Four to go. Mom will be here this evening and tomorrow and she will help. I think she is going to help me pull weeds in the front landscape area. The guy put mulch down without the black blocker stuff so the weeds are not pretty. I'm kind of wondering if I can't just till all the mulch up or if I have to take it out. Something to do this fall. Finally got a weedeater to run so did some of that. That's always pleasant to do when its really hot.

I did get in the pool yesterday and it was really great. We did come to the conclusion that we have to move the darn thing. One mistake on the down side and the yard gets a big drink. We both did it yesterday. And yes, we are dufuses when it comes to handywork and stuff like that. We always do it wrong and then have to fix it.

My sis came about 3:30 after the races. We had a good discussion about the disagreement and my position about snootyville brother. I explained to her that DB #2 and I had become friends. That she and I used to be friends and it was important to her at that time but now we were no longer friends because she had chosen to be so busy with other things in her life and that I was angry about it. And also that if I was angry at DB #1, it was because he makes it plain that he's not interested in being friends with us now that he has his social ladder to climb. It all started when he moved into snootyville. She understood and we had a good visit. They liked the place. DH made babyback ribs in the oven which were just fabulous. Ribs, corn and BBQ beans. Not very SBD but it was a good birthday dinner. We didn't have lunch so at least saved a few calories there.

So its Monday and I'm back at it today.

Thin - You asked about DH's hand. Its finally healing up. It will give him problems for a long time because of where its located but he's just going to have to be careful and not over extend it nor let it freeze up either. Your purple room sounds great!

Valerie - Great to see you BACK!

to everyone else! Maybe I can work on replies at work today. Not like there's going to be many people there today. And yet I have to ask myself, why am I? Oh yeah, to pay the bills. I have Bible study class tonight so it will be a late night again.

I'm running late as usual so I better hit the shower.

Have a great day!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #8  
Hang In There

Terri, Sorry I missed your birthday. Glad it was good. I'll be at work today too. Yep those bills have to be paid!!! Nothing much happening around here. Have a great day everryone!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #9  

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, the weekend was pleasant for the most part. DH and I went to a neighboring town after puppy school to check out this business we've found out about that does various types of home improvments. My next door neighbors just had their patio and front steps faux finished to look like flagstone and thier countertops redone too. They look like one big slab of red granite, but it's really concrete put in a thin layer over their existing countertops, stained and sealed. Just beautiful, a fraction of the cost of granite, and supposedly, after three weeks you can smack the stuff with a hammer and it wont chip! We have to get an estimate for our house - it's just what I want! Anyway, the business was closed, but we went to some yard sales and got some good bargains instead. It amazes me still when I can't buy things at yard sales because they are too big! Then we went to X-men - again. Turns out it was playing at our cheap movie place ($2.50 per person) and we were in the mood for a movie again. There's just something so nice about being able to do stuff without worrying about whether we need to be home for DS or having him along and we can't do "grown-up" stuff. I miss the little bugger when he's gone, but it's nice all the same.

Sunday the in-laws brought him home and we all went out to Ryans for dinner. Fattening, as always. But we did just eat breakfast and and early dinner yesterday, so not too bad all things considered.

I got very little done this weekend. It was just so darn hot that I didn't do the yard work I intended. I did trim the Ivy from around my oak tree in the back, which was some serious work. That stuff really clings! But otherwise I figured the weeds can wait until it's cooler.

The fact is, I wouldn't be at work today if I didn't have someone coming in person today. I feel just awful! I think it's a summer cold type thing - but being unable to take cold meds is the pitts! If I could change one thing about my medical problems that would be it...I'd be able to take cold meds again! As soon as my 10:30 hearing is over - I'm outta here!

Terri HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Glad you and your sister cleared the air. Better for everyone!

Siena Glad you found your way!

Well ladies, I'd do more replies, but I feel like poo and have about three minutes to my first hearing...so I better go. Have a happy, healthy day!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #10  
Vortex

Hi all, quiet day today, visiting with EH, must keep this short.

Thin—How’s the sponging going?

Valerie—Good job on the picnic!

Siena—Welcome back!

Karen—Yeah, Fitday’s great that way. My problem is I don’t have any kind of regular schedule, so some days I’m out all day long, other days I’m home most of the day… I’m trying to think hard about how to arrange a routine I’ll stick to, so I can be logging things in at the same time every day, etc. I have very little discipline in terms of time management, and my job just encourages me to be sloppy that way. What exactly are micro greens?

Terri—Sounds like a good visit with your sister. As an only child, I often wish I’d had siblings, but I guess some are good and some are less good, eh?

Lilion—Sounds like a good weekend. Hope you shake that cold—I’ve been coughing and sneezing all week too.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Happy Fourth of July!

We had a nice thunderstorm roll through this morning at about 5:00 am. We really needed the rain and it is going to drop the temps about 15 degrees. However, I was going to get up and be really productive on pulling weeds and cleaning out the electric fence line with the weedeater. Hmm, maybe this afternoon if it dries out. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Mom came up yesterday afternoon. She came to help with the weeds. She brought up some fun farm things - fence post driver, fence posts, ax, etc.

She has informed us that she sold her place on Sunday. We have wanted her to sell the farm because trying to care for an old house and 20 acres is too much for her. Plus she had a six month bad winter due to side-effects of medicine and too far away from doctors and such. We're all a little stunned. A guy came to the house one day and said that his grandfather used to own that property and that he wanted to buy his grandfather's farm. She named a price and he said okay. She asked to have it until September and he said okay. He has to come up with the financing and my BIL will help mom with all the contracts. She's already made arrangements to move back to the house where she grew up. One of her brothers bought the house and five acres when grandpa died years ago. One of her sisters bought the surrounding 90 acres that grandpa owned. This is something she has wanted to do for a long time. She will be about 3-1/2 hours away from us as she is going almost to St Louis. I'm glad that she's not going to be stuck on that farm with those creep neighbors that use her and take advantage. However, they have lived there for 17 years and that's been "mom and dad's place" where we've done a lot of holiday's. Going to be different. I just hope the guy gets the money and doesn't disappoint her.

Anyone got any big food fests planned for the day? I'm not sure what we're doing. I do have a recipe I want to make today just because its burning a hole in my brain since I saw Emeril make it. A bread pudding with peaches and pineapple. Not that I need to eat that.

I got a surprise visit from TOM yesterday. A week early from last month. Which was a week early from normal. The joys of the changing body as it ages.

DH is up so I'll check back in later. Have a good day!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 313/196.4/148

Height: 5/3.5

Happy 4th to all....haven't been able to get to the puter since friday afternoon so I've missed quite a bit...the weekend was crazy with an outing on saturday and a cookout on sunday but did "fairly" well...which means I knew I wasn't going to be able to follow medifast the whole weekend...but limited calories to less than 1500 a day and did quite a bit more (for me) exercise...walked total of 30 minutes on Saturday (as opposed to the grand 7 min a day I'm up to on my "plan" and swam for the equivelant of 2 laps of an olympic pool though I had short breaks in between)

....anyway only down a pound this week which was a bit disappointing given that I had reduced my intake the 3 days before the weekend...That makes 2 low loss weeks in a row but I"m rooting for a drop sometime in the next couple of weeks to make up for it.....

nothing much happening today though I did eat a cooked breakfast this morning (on medifast it is usually their mix/bar for all but dinner) but I was hungry (its a problem I've had with medifast I'm afraid even though the caloric level is high enough)...but kept it under 250 cals with 1/2 cup egg beaters, 1/4 cup low fat cheese and 8 slices of turkey pepperoni (40 cals...low fat). I think I'm going to have to insert a salad or something into the mid days because only having one "bar" and 4 of the protein drinks from the time I get up until dinner is leaving me rather hungry...

Take care all...
Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
Happy Belated Birthday Terri!!!
We are currently vacationing in Ohio where we are visiting family and friends. So far it's been pretty nice and relaxing. I hope you are all having a wonderful day, whatever you are doing.

Talk to you soon!
Barb
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #14  

Good Evening Ladies!

Happy Independence Day! to all my fellow Americans! To Lesley and anyone else who is otherwise - Hi!

I don't have that much to say tonight. I've been happy to be home today. I got a ton of laundry done and took DS to see the X-Men - yep...again! That makes three times in less than a week for me! I really liked that movie, but I'm really glad to be done with seeing it! We should be able to see the higher fireworks from our backyard so that's all the plan I have for tonight. No bbq's or big shindigs planned. We had a reasonable dinner and now I'm ready to relax!

The scale appears to be back down a bit. I'm still higher than what my slider shows...I'll change it to be accurate on Wednesday. Food's been so-so...Movie popcorn three times this week! But I think it'll be okay.

Oh, my DS - age 11 - has a DATE! Yep...he asked his little GF Lilly if she'd go skating with him and she said "yes" - but then she asked him to go see the new Pirates movie with her next weekend! He told her he'd have to let her know tomorrow! Silly boy! Since we want to see it too, I figure I'll ask her mother if we can all go... Ahhh, young love!

Well ladies, I must go. Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 7"

Well, Krista is at horse back riding camp - she has gone for 5 years, and loves the other kids and the horses. THe night before she left, we went to see The Devil Wears Prada - good movie, although I was more on the side of the Meryl Streep character than the young woman, although she does a really good job. Definite chick bonding - DH did NOT want to go. He and I went to see Prarie Home Companion tonight - this is my weekend for a Meryl Streep film festival. A must-see if you're a fan of the show, but otherwise, you won't get it. Robert Altman movies are always strange but interesting.

We also worked out all weekend, and I'm down 2 lbs. This is good.

You know, when I was young, my life was always full of drama. Now, my life is sort of on the dull side. I think this is good, but it doesn't give me much to talk about.

Siena - About the implants - Actually, what I was talking about was that I had just had my first bone density test, and my doctor wants me to go on Fosamax - My bones are starting to lose density, and where I broke my back when I was a teenager (horse went the way he wanted to, I went the way I wanted us to go), the bones are actually osteoporotic.
But I had seen an article about fosamax and dental implants. So I talked to my internist, and I have talked to my oral surgeon. The concern is that two women, who were on chemotherapy and were on fosamax, had dental implants. Their mouths collapsed, and both died. No one knows what part of the mix killed them, but my doctor and oral surgeon both want me to wait to take Fosamax until my teeth are all done.

Valerie - I'm glad that things are settling down with your family - many of them do really care about us, they just aren't very good at it.

Terri - I missed your birthday? I'm sorry... But I am glad that you and your sister had a good talk about family stuff. I only have a brother, and he and I don't get along. It's not hostility - I just think that if someone locked us in a closet together, we'd run out of conversation in an hour. I've moved to the MidWest, and, as far as he is concerned, married down. I'm no use, socially.
I just wish I had some other family I could be close to. MY husband has 26 first cousins, so I have people, but few of my own.

Wow, your Mom sold the old homestead, just like that - be sure to take lots of pix for memories - it'll give you time to say goodbye.

Lilion - I like the sound of that concrete finish. I used to work at the American Concrete Institute, this is the sexy end of the business.

Babysteps - A pound a week is SOOOOO much better than a gain or a stall! I thought I'd lose faster than I do, but I'm going down steadily, although slowly, and I'll get there.
Closed Thread