Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #16  

Hi Thinthinker and Krista's mom--

Thanks for the welcomes! I really am glad to have found this place!

I feel like dancing! (and I'm loving the emoticons)

Thinthinker I believe I turned on the PM feature so it should work now; at least I hope so.

And Krista's mom--YES about walking accross the parking lot and feeling winded--I have asthma and I have to use my inhaler after climbing the stairs nearly everytime now.

Okay, this is just the starting place, right? I remember when I hit 300 I was so upset and thought "okay, I've hit bottom"--but I guess I had some more bottom left to hit.

By the way, writing "342 pounds" was really really important for me. I can't believe it, but there it is. And in an odd way, I'm really proud of myself that I was able to write it, admit it and own it.

I weigh 342 lbs.
I weigh 342 lbs.
I weigh 342 lbs.

For now.

~Maribelle~
Old 06-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #17  

Height: 5' 7"

Ruth - I do some canning, mostly strawberry jam, I'm sad to say, but I'm hoping to do a little freezing this year. Perhaps my DH and yours are clones? Mine always thinks that he's entitled to a reward for eating healthy - like ice cream! He's pretty good about remembering that he has type II diabetes, and only eating healthy, but he does resent.

2Cute - boy, you are an entertaining fool!

Bridget - our stuff from the move is still in the garage - but I think some of it has little rustly things!

It was so weird, Friday morning I put my lunch and my workout clothes in the car, and happily drove off to work, I got another manual out for review - should be released next Wednesday. This is a re-run of one we released about a month ago - the marketing guys decided that they wanted to simplify the user interface, so it's amazing how many places I refer to one or two items on a user interface throughout the manual. Then I looked at my calendar, and remembered that I volunteered to donate blood - they ask so many questions - it's a wonder they take blood from anybody - no Africa, no UK, who do you sleep with. But my blood pressure is down - 118 over 80, the last time I had it taken it was 120 over 85. So I'm seeing a benefit from the new lifestyle.
I gave, they said, no exercise -- argh.
So I took the puppy for a stroll. She was happy, and I moved.
Now that it's cooled off, the air conditioning guy came. Needed a new fan - this cool stuff is expensive.

DD is at the school prom. She's the treasurer, so she is staying overnight at a friends, and is wearing the pretty black skirt and top we bought for her speech. I'll let you know how she did tomorrow - she doesn't like to dance, and she's not interested in any of the boys at her school, so I don't know if she'll have a good time.

And I exercised today, went out to lunch with a girl friend - vegetables and tofu in Thai peanut sauce, and then out to dinner with DH - California Pizza --Thai spring rolls, and field green salad, split a piece of key lime pie - if you call in and respond to a survey, the appetiser is free the next time you go, so we may be eating there twice a month forever!

Last edited by KristasMom; 06-05-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #18  
MTM

Well hi everyone!! I've been mia for a while now, and I can tell you, I notice it in my resolve! Unless I come here, post daily, and journal my food, I don't have the strength to keep up my newly adopted way of living!!

We had a shower last weekend for my dd, and one of my sisters came into town (from NC), so, as you can imagine, things were beyond hectic. But, we got through it and she went back home on Monday. She was really surprised at how much I've lost since I've seen her last, so that was encouraging. And somehow a couple pics of me were taken and I can see the difference in my face. HOWEVER, you know what bugs me to death???? We would sit down and eat or go out and eat, and someone would put bread on the table, or cake, or order fries, stuff like that, and she'd say "Now Char can't have any of that". Talk about seeing red!! Finally, after several times hearing that, I told her that if I wanted whatever I would eat it. Geesh!! Needless to say, I was glad when Monday finally rolled around. Why can't people just mind their own plate!!

Finally, Friday and yesterday I got back on plan eating wise. I don't seem to have a problem with the exercise, but food started to be a problem, especially the carbs. I know I am addicted to them, and I just have to stay away. I feel just so much better when I control them it's amazing, and my energy level is just so much greater when I keep them under control. Wish I'd have learned this about 20 years ago!!

I'm going to do a few replies, but am sure I'll miss some. If I do, I'm sorry!!

Val~~Gee it's quiet here when you're out on the road. You bring so much to our thread. Can't wait til you get back and can fill us in on what's going on. Keep thinking positive thoughts.

Sue~~I see you're on SB phase 2. I guess basically that's what I do, too. Maybe I'll take a look at that board and look for some tips. Right now, I'm really eating a lot of protein. I just don't know how many carbs I need daily. I know when I am particularly stingy with them, I am ravenous at night and usually screw up then. About how many carbs a day do you think you eat? CalorieKing says I should have about 250 grams a day, but that just seems like way too much. I generally am 150 grams or under. Generally!! Some days I'll overdo, and I can always feel it in my energy level the next day. I have lots of questions to ask you--maybe I'll pm you later today with some questions, if you don't mind.

I think I'm going to post this now, and get my exercise in before the Sunday morning news shows start--I'm addicted to them!! I'll be back later on to post more replies.

Charlotte
Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #19  

Smile Good morning!

Everybody, How is it going in your neck of the woods?

I don't have much time but I wanted to come and welcome Maribelle to our group. I hope you like it here. A very nice group of ladies post here. Come in often and let us know how you are doing.

Our church is almost across the street from me, so it doesn't take long to get there.

I broke another bucket of green beans early this morning, so tomorrow I will be back in the kitchen toiling away I wish I could give some of these to all of you. Heck, I would almost give them to anyone that comes along. LOL! I hate waste! None of my children live close to me, too bad!

No replies this morning. Have a beautiful Sunday, and stay op! Ruth
Old 06-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #20  
MTM

OK--done!

Ruth~~My mom was a canner, too!! She used to love it. Boy do I miss those good vegetables and fruits now...I wish I was closer to you and I'd take you up on that offer of sharing the wealth.

Maribell~~Welcome! I know you'll enjoy the friendly people on this board. I know what you mean about the shock of seeing that awful number on the scale, but congrats for being able to accept it and get on with making it drop. It's incredibly hard for me still to believe the scale, even losing about 60 pounds! Persevere, my friend. And continue coming here for the support and love. Too funny about your "10 year break" between kids--I needed a 6 year break!! But he's 20 now, and I just can't imagine my life without this kid. He's my favorite of the three--of course, I tell the other two that they're my favorites, too...keeps them guessing!! Anytime you need an ear or advice or support, feel free to pm me.

BJF~~Read your post re cleaning out the storage garages--my husband last night finally got enough of his junk cleaned out of the middle of our garage to actually put the van in there!!! It has been ages since there has actually been a car in our garage.

2Cute~~Wow--you get an hour of exercise in every day? I'm impressed! What do you do? The most I can handle right now on my bike is 30 to 35 minutes, and every other day I do about 15 minutes or so of stretches and hand weights. When it's not raining--which around here is getting to be rare that it's not, I get in a 10 minute walk, too. How was your company? Did you all have a nice time?

Terri~~Sounds like things may finally be settling down for you. Maybe it's the vacation! I know you desperately needed some time away from that job of yours. Is your move date still 6/10? It will be here before you know it!

Lilion~~ Are you still sewing? I sewed some window scarves last week--I thought I could get away with just hemming the short sides, but they didn't look right, so I had to sew all three sides--easy to do, but it was a looooooooong seam! I hate my sewing machine, too, and it always makes sewing a frustrating experience for me. I know that's why I don't sew more.

Charlotte
Old 06-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #21  

Default 30 lbs down!

I've been flirting with this number for the last week or so, but I've been trying to stick to a regular weigh-in day.

And 28 lbs is a 10% loss - my first. I'm kinda scared, because I made a deal with myself that I would make an appointment with a knee replacement surgeon when I got to 10% - it seemed so far away then!

Daughter called - she's staying in Ann Arbor for the day with her friend, so we'll see her tonight. I'll report then.

Charlotte - I believe that I eat South Beach phase II because I limit non-vegetable carbs to a couple of servings a day - I have either a fruit or some whole grain cereal with my yogurt (or cottage cheese) every morning, and a lot of vegetables and some quality protein for lunch and dinner, with a protein snack in mid-afternoon to try to keep my blood sugar (and stomach) in line.

When I do eat pasta or bread, it's whole grain.

I'm really trying to not think of this as a diet, but that I have changed my way of life - I actually spend some time watching people who don't have a weight problem, and compare how they eat and live with how I eat and live. Aside from the fact that most of them are younger than I am, most of them move more than I do - so I'm working on that, but my food is now good - I think that the trick is, I'm trying to eat the good things that I like a lot more often, to hardly ever eat things that are less healthy for me, and to try many healthy things that just weren't on my radar.

For example, when I was a kid, we always went to my grandmothers for Christmas. And she always served kale. And she never washed it properly, so it was always gritty. I tried kale again this year - and, even though it was clean, I FELT that grit on my teeth, and mom saying, hush - eat it!

But I tried.
On the other hand, I've tried eating oranges (which I'd never done before), and fell in love with naval oranges.

And, of course, I now eat spaghetti squash.

Have a wonderful day - spouse and I are going food shopping and exercising.

Sue
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #22  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Was actually planning on skimming and not posting today, but saw we have a newcomer and I had to say HI!

Maribell: to the the group! Don't despair, you are in the right place. I'm 42, with a 11 yr old son (I started late and didn't need the break between kids!) I started out at 328. It's funny really. I knew I was 314. Was 314 for a few years actually. Then one day I went to the Doctor and was 328. For some reason those last 14 lbs just totally freaked me out! My hubby went to the Dr. the very next day and he was at 285. That night we dug out my old Weight Watchers stuff and started counting our points. I've had my ups and downs and right now am in the middle of a huge lack of motiviation, but mostly it's been down and I feel so much better for it! You can too! I like WW because I get my bread and pasta - quite a lot of it actually - and still lose weight. But I know some folks can't lose with the high-carb/low-fat diet I use. This group has been a big source of inspiration for me, both here and on the other 300+ thread. If I have one word of advice for you - it's don't think of it as having 100+ lbs to lose. Think of those first 10 lbs. Then another 10. Then another 10. 100+ is just too much and seems unobtainable. Anyone can lose 10 lbs! We just need to do that several times!

I don't know who asked, but the truth is, I've never stuffed a zucchini in my life. Since I can't grow the darn things I never get them stuffing size. But I've read several recipes and they sound soooo yummy! Try allrecipes.com. (BTW - I have a recipe on there for my Skillet Zucchini recipe! Try it and leave a review!)

I spent practially my entire Saturday on the sewing machine. I made a heraldic surcote for my Darling Man-at-Arms. Basically, a garment that goes over his armor. I'll have to get him all dressed up and take a picture to post. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I told him he isn't allowed to let anyone hit it with a dirty sword now!

Well, it's Sunday. That means I'm at the office! So I better do what I was supposed to do here and work! But I had to stop and say Hello to you all! Sorry for the lack of other replies, but I have miles to go before I sleep and all that!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: start 332/cw 322.8 /lighter

Hey, Another newbie here...
I'm impressed with HOW active this site is...I'm a type 2 diabetic, 43 years old...i've been overweight all my life..and I've bounced betweed 312 and 332 for the last year or so. .Never really able to lose much wt consistently...the most sucessful I've ever been with weight loss is the plan that I followed with a nutritionist back in the early 90's was HIGH CARB low fat..but i did lose 60 lbs on it ..as well as I was going to Overeaters Anonymous and therapy.....Which I gained back the next year. Met the man who was to be my husband and we happily both gained wt. But I kept going and am now 321..I was at 332 on tuesday May 23 when after sinking to a new low in depression , I started following a weight plan again. In the past I've tried Weight Watchers, Diet Center, South Beach , Suzanne Somers, High carb/low fat, low fat, rmacrobiotic...I think basically they all could work..I just don't stay with it long enough to let them..

So here I am , I tend to gain about 10 lbs every year and that WILL NOT continue...Can not!......i've never been able to lose more than 27 lbs on weight watchers. I have friends who have had gastric bypass surgery, but I just don't want to do that. It depresses me to think that I may need to do that.

I've started following the Jorge Cruise plan which is basically just like so many other plans but all put in to a nice package..Eating all food groups, high veggie, high fiber grains, but also not eliminating treats which tends to set up a feeling of deprivation in me , eating 3 hrs apart..which I think will be very sensible with diabetes...Have lost 11 lbs in the 1st 2 wks and have increased my exercise consistently.

Feel that it would help to hear how other's are doing , what they are doing, and just be among others dealing with our weight and the stumbling block of the big 40..I always stumble around week 2 or 3 of a plan --I have a note book where i journal my food....i used this format in WW too... i need all the support I can get.

I'm married but have no kids..just 2 sweet loving dogs and an ornery kitty ..
glad to be here
moongoddess
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #24  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Moongoddess, welcome to the group. You also don't have your PM set to "on" so I will refer you to the Welcome Message that I posted above for Maribelle. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...42#post1285542 We're glad you're joining us. There's always room for one more.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #25  
MTM

Welcome moon! Glad you're here, and I think you'll find lots of good support too.

Interesting about the high carb diet you were on in the 90's. That would surely have done me in!! When I saw the doctor a few months ago, I believe I was close to having type 2, but with the exercise and weight loss, that threat has gone away. I know I have to exercise for the rest of my life and, by watching my carbs closely, I feel so much better than I did 6 months ago.

Journaling is so important I think, and visiting this site and reading all the support forums, too. Good luck to you, and I think any of us here would be more than happy to answer any questions you have either via posting or a pm.

Charlotte
Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #26  

hello maribelle you came to the right place for support it really helps alot to talk to other people !
Old 06-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #27  

i freaked out when i learned i weighed 336.! but i am now headed downhill ! scales are such an eye opener and i avoided them for years!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

The packing goes on....and on....and on. Hard to imagine that with all that I have done this weekend and still do..that we were to be out of this house by now. But I did a great job on cleaning out clothes. I bagged up two yard waste bags of both DH and my clothes and half of one of shoes. I swear they multiple in the closet in the dark. I also feel pretty darn good about how little "crap" that we'll be moving this time. Thanks to a few years of Flylady behavior.

We're off to the neighbors for a farewell cookout. Geez, hope I can take this. I am starting to freak out a little bit about moving out to the boonies and who the heck will we talk to? Part of it too is leaving an area that I have lived for 15 years. A little freak out but ready. Ready for a new chapter and ready to get back on a healthy life plan.

Welcome Moon! Loved your post. You'll love this group.

Sorry, got to run because DH has decided he's ready to go NOW!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #29  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Smile Newbie over 40

BUT...fervently denies being an "old hen"! *as she cackles to herself*

This is my first post and it looks like i'm in the right place. My name is Karen, 44, divorced with no kids (just wasn't mommy material). I am a full time student again and loving it. I do work so it gets a bit hectic from time to time.

As so many I am a product of the diet roller coaster. As a child I was actually thin, so thin in fact that my mother had to take me to the doctor to get me to eat! Well...I don't know what happened, but I never turned back. I can't recall how many times I fasted or played the 500 calorie-a-day game with all my favorites when I was a teenager.

Later it was Nutrisystem where I did loose something like 60 pounds but ended up in the hospital to have my gall bladder removed. The doctor said it was probably a direct result of my dieting. I was in OA for 4 years loosing 100 pounds and just couldn't seem to reconcile myself to the program. After gaining all that back it was about 5 years after that that I again was so miserable I modified my lifestyle again. Oddly enough, alot of it came from the OA plan that I could never do with someone standing over me. That was another 120 pounds off. And here I am again....scared. I hear so many times that the ups and downs can be worse for our health than just staying in one place. So this may literally be my last attempt.

The one thing that I found so many times in the past was an impression that if I could just loose the weight I would feel so much better about myself. What I actually found was that even after loosing 100 pounds not much of importance changed. I was still uncomfortable in my own skin, nervous and shy around groups of people. I really couldn't see the changes in the mirror even though I knew my clothes were smaller. The "man" in my life at the time kept talking about "when you loose all your weight", instead of the "now". So needless to say, it has been more of a journey to the "inside" this time than the outside.

I know how to lose weight. It's other things that happen along the way that are important now. Getting myself "out there", as they say, starts by coming on here. I can identify with many of you and will be looking for the same support and will add to the conversation if I can offer my own strength and hope. I consider myself spritual without being religious. I try to speak to my own experience without judging others. I love others' examples.

I believe in health, trying to stick to whole nutient rich foods, no processed or "whites" as they say. Technically, not a low carb idea, because I do eat wild rice, whole grains (but no flour). I'm also intrigued by the GI factors. I'll be looking for more info on that. Last week I started simply by increasing my water intake and cutting soda completely. This week it was research on new foods and increasing the green leafys. Next week, i'm thinking...coffee...but we'll see...LOL I also believe in the smaller more frequent meals to level the blood sugars. I've known enough diabetics in my life and helping them deal with doctors orders that I know it works for me too.

Ok, that's me in a nutshell...be it a VERY long nutshell. I promise not to be so long winded in the future. Thanks everyone for being here. This is an AWSOME site! (Got to love that dancing carrot!)
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #30  

Hey - can'tforgetthis! - What are you studying? I've been to Silicon Valley a few times (the first time right after Apple moved into its first building - told you I'm old) and it is gorgeous.

Moongoddess - welcome! Oddly enough, I met my husband in OA also. But he's kept most of his weight off, and I only gained after DD was born, and I started commuting over 100 miles a day. I must admit, we stopped going after the "gray sheet" wars in our area - I don't believe in God-given diets. What I do believe is that if I eat properly every day and exercise regularly, I will end up weighing what I'm supposed to weigh.

Of course, I can shift over to the "If I'm not skinny by tomorrow, I'm going to eat a CAKE" school of weight management without notice, but I find that by posting here, I get some of the stress out.

Terri - I bet you will be so glad when this is all over - And, don't forget, you can always have a big party for your old neighbors at your new place. We moved about 3 years ago, and my best friends are still the ones I met when Krissie was little.

Lilion - I bet when you first decided to sew all your own costumes, it sounded like fun!

Well, she says that she "managed not to dance with anyone" at the prom, but claims she had a good time anyway. Since it's a small school, with lots of well-to-do parents, the party was held in the ballroom at a good friend's house, with dancing, food, and lots of video games and such like. One of the boys gave her a corsage (which she says was "itchy" - that's what I remember about corsages, too), and many of them spent the night.

I guess a good time was had by all.

Talk to you all soon.

Sue
Closed Thread