3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300 and 30 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/84775-300-30-a.html)

nightowl88 05-28-2006 05:49 AM

Hi ladies,

Well, I had to go back to work again tonight (still Saturday for me). I ate very good today. It's so easy when I'm at work because I can only eat what I bring in. And today was a grilled chicken salad, kiwi, and cottage cheese. Yay me! I'm on a new kick this week with Hood's cottage cheese with pineapple. Mmmm, I used to despise cottage cheese up until about 3 years ago. I'll tell you that pineapple one is my favorite. I feel like I'm eating a dessert or something. I tried the store-brand kind, but it just wasn't as smooth and creamy as Hood's. I recommend it if you like cottage cheese.

Let's see, no exercise today. I can't seem to get my butt moving!!! I sooo dislike exercise. I did feel some soreness in my legs and hip area today. I guess it was all the grinding I did on the dancefloor last night. I was pretty sore as it was from the 20 minutes on the elliptical the day before.

Kaybee, thanks for the advice on the elliptical. I think I'll try that 10 minutes for 3 days in a row and then go for 30 min. I can handle the first 10 minutes alright, but then I start to huff and puff and sweat like crazy. I find myself rocking too much side to side to try and keep going. Starting off slowly is probably better anyway.

Tanya, happy belated birthday. Way to go on your 2.2lbs down. Whoo hoo!! Keep it up girl. Don't you love getting to change your little ticker thingy at the bottom of your signature!

I wouldn't worry about going to the gym. There are plenty of exercises you can do at home and it won't cost you a membership fee! I don't know about your cable tv provider, but mine has an on-demand option where you can watch certain programs just by going to a menu screen. There are always a bunch of exercise shows to choose from, like yoga, bellydancing, walking, or even just the regular exercise shows. It's just another option to consider.

You cracked me up with the story of your friend breaking the chair. I would be so embarrassed! Actually I probably would've avoided the chair altogether. Or just sat on the edge of it with my feet planted flat on the ground in case I felt it give in. Plus my hips and butt probably wouldn't fit comfortably inside it anyway. I remember about 10 years ago I was at a 4th of July parade with a girlfriend and her parents. We were sitting on the side of the road with those beach chairs that sit really low to the ground. Well, in order to get out of it I had to kinda roll down on one knee and then lift off with the other leg. Well, wouldn't you know my fat a$$ stayed stuck in that chair!! I lifted the whole thing up with me when I stood up. My friend and her mom are both big women so they understood, but they totally razzed me the rest of the day for it. Very embarassing!

Well, sorry no gossip for me on the dating scene. As I told Dusty, I want to take this time to take care of myself, body and mind. I just became officially divorced in March, I was married for 7 years. And before that I had lived with a boyfriend for about 2 years. It seems that I've never really been without a guy. I think that's why I didn't "click" with that ex I was telling you about. I'm not ready for that yet. Plus, he had some things about him that I know would eventually bother me if I got into a relationship. Like his frequent partying and drinking. I like to go out and do that once or twice a month. He does it usually twice a week! He's also a carefree, anti-corporate, animal loving, rainforest hiker, nature loving type. Sooooo, not me!! I like my air conditioning, television, hot showers, and comfy bed, thank you. I do have to say on the positive side for him, he was fun to be around and he was very nice looking, in a rugged, laid back, earhy-crunchy type way. Actually, that was probably why it lasted a whole 6 months. Everytime we hung out I couldn't keep my eyes or hands off him!!! :devil: .......... Whew! Ok, I'm back. Sorry for the lapse there, I had a flashback. :smoking:

Dusty, hang in there through the long weekend. I know you can do it! The trick is to eat in moderation, don't overindulge in everything yummy that goes along with long weekends and cookouts, ahh...hmmm (wish I didn't have to work the next 2 days).

What a nice sis you are chumming with your brother! I should go visit mine soon. He was all jealous when I told him I took Mom out to the movies and dinner. He lives with her and takes care of her since her quadruple bypass 4 years ago (he's such a sweetheart).

So, next week I think we should plan some type of exercise accountability with each other. It seems you and I both lack the motivation to do any!!! Maybe we can set some small daily goals. We could take turns picking them too. Like say... Monday I challenge you to do as many crunches as you can possibly do. And we'll post the next day and see how well we did. How's that? If anyone else out there wants to join us, come on in!! We can rotate who picks the challenges. Or we could even have the person who did the best pick the next challenge. Is anyone up for that? I just know I need someone or something to motivate me. :kickbutt: It's all about the accountability thing we were all talking about in the beginning of this thread. Or if anyone has a better idea, let me know. I'm game! Grrrr!!

OK, it's way too late (early) to still be up. I gotta go night-nights.

idlewild 05-28-2006 11:53 AM

Hello Ladies!

I have been lurking around this site for a long time. Thinking about losing weight and more about living a healthier life style. I really enjoy this thread. Tanya and Dusty it is especialy delightful to read your post.

I think that 30 minutes 5 days a week is often suggested for exersize but it is most improtant to start. If you increase your movement even by 5 or 10 minutes from little or no exersize you are more likely to stick with it, not get hurt and see results. It took most of us years to get here so we can not expect to wake up one day and jump on the track doing long hard work outs. Maybe some people do but most people start slow and build over time.

I am trying to make life stlye changes and build exersize into my life. i walk to the store to pick up one or two things instead of driving, i enjoy the cool of the evenings and walk on a trail to unwind from the stress of work rather than eat. I am also trying to eat more vegtables and fruit and less prepared foods, sodium and fat. some days are better than others. I keep thinking i need to do a food journal to better track what i eat becuase i some times find myself watching tv and munching on food mindlessly eating at my desk at work when i am not hungry and not aware. I want to enjoy good food not just eat becuase I need something to do with my hands (maybe I need to take up knitting or something).

I hope this thread sticks around. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Good luck over weekend if nothing else drink your water and try to get in a walk maybe around a park at the bar-b-que or park you car farther when you go out to celebrate. baby steps I am try to manage with baby steps.

Ayanna

thinthinker 05-28-2006 01:50 PM

Hello ladies! I hope now that you've been around awhile you'll start migrating into the general discussion threads so that EVERYONE will get a chance to know you. There are alot of great people that post in our area and we'd love the chance to meet you. We're really not all that scary! ;)

youwin67 05-28-2006 03:38 PM

Welcome Ayanna!! :hug: I am so glad you like it here—I hope this thread sticks around too. It’s a fun thread.

You are a good voice of reason. I have been beating myself up for not being able to do more than 30 minutes of exercise but like you said, baby steps! Journaling helps too. It makes a big difference…now if only I could just DO IT. Hehehe. You will fit right in, and don’t be afraid of the main threads either. All the ladies over there are great as well. After a few posts, you get to know them real well.

Nightowl: HECK YEAH! Let’s motivate each other! Bring it on! Let’s have little challenges. I’ll kick your butt!! (PS. I am a wee bit competitive!) hahha just kidding, we gotta do it! Let’s do what you said for the first week, like sit ups or something. Everybody can join in!! we gotta do it! I have to start working out!

Thinthinker, Honestly, no one here is afraid of anyone over there. Some of us choose to post both threads, some people are happy in this smaller environment. Please please please don’t be upset, or confused. It’s not an affront to the other thread. Thank you so much for the welcome to the other thread, many of us, such as myself, are members of both!

Ok guys, long weekend. I am gonna try and be really good. Good luck everyone!

~Dusty

nightowl88 05-28-2006 06:25 PM

I'm at work right now and can't write long. I just popped on for a sec to see if anyone wanted to start the exercise challenge tomorrow. Maybe we can go Monday through Friday because some people can't post daily. Let's start with crunches rather than entire sit-ups (I don't have a buddy to hold my feet down anyway).

Who's wants in?
I challenge YOU to do as many daily crunches as you can possibly do!!! Be sure to post your numbers. We can tally them up on Friday to see who out-crunched the rest of us. The winner can pick next week's exercise challenge!!! Oooh, how exciting.

Welcome, Ayanna! Glad to have you join us. Pretty name by the way.

ryanmi72 05-28-2006 09:32 PM

Hello All-

I'm Michelle. I just joined this site, and am glad to see a 300+ 30's section-turns out, I am both! :) I had dropped about 40lbs since September but gained most of it back because I was on Steroids for 3 months! So, I am back to square one...anyway, just wanted to say Hi and hope to chat more with all of you!

tlujan1 05-28-2006 11:28 PM

Crunches...you mean crunch bars, right? I just messing with you, I am in tx , but I am not stupid. That sounds painful...so I am in :-)

We went out to my folks house today and I kept messing with my sister (have 2 older and younger....both big and beautiful), asking how much do you weigh? Just trying to get an idea of what my goal should be. I have it at 190, and that is the same as my younger sister, but she is 5'5" and I am 5'9" so I think I would be a stick and that weight. She is blumpy, but hot. She is so beautiful, she gets out of tickets, guys are always trying to marry her, and she takes what she can get and moves on....She has guys falling over themselve just to get the pleasure to mow her lawn, some times they will even clean her house for her, and they won't even be dating her. It is too funny. Now my other sister said she is about 250 and she is 5'5" as well, so it is hard to tell what I would look like at that weight...and she has no girlfriends (boobies) she does have a girlfriend-she is gay- her girlfriend is about 5'2" and 115 wet...they have been together for about 17 years.

You should see some of our holidays...too funny. My husband is African American, I am Mexican Irish American. So this is what it looks like during the holidays....my sister Moe (gay) with Japanese girlfriend Susan, some of their transexual friends, My other sister Juls (bi-sexual) bring her next catch of the month, and Me and Hubby with our Black Irish Mexican Son....with lots of our friends from all over the world and views (liberals and conservatives). It is always a lot of fun.

Now when we start playing cards...that is when it gets really fun. Roody bunch of people.

My parents are also a lot of fun. My mom is a blast and my dad tells jokes and bs's the whole time. We don't have much family so our friends are our exstended family.

I guess I should talk about food....Well I passed on the garlic butter bread...I was quivering like it was coke...hard to pass up. Then my mother baked my a potato so I didn't have to eat the mashed potato...nice mother. She also made a fat free cake, so good, even the men ate it. But, I drank 2 cups of coffee because I still had benidrill left over from the night before.

Now I am hungry, and thursty...I guess I will have to go drink a gallon of water the ease the appitite.

I am so happy I found 3fat chicks, because it has helped me to focuse on my results, talk and really stick to this. Last night I went and made a calender of my progress and It will take me about a year and a half to get to my goal. I think it is worth it.

I saw this post from this dude that lost over 300 lbs in a year all on exercise and eating right...I was so inspired. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I even had a dream about it last night. I look forward to all of us getting to our goals together. Ohhhh I am going to cry....

Well I am going to venture into the other forums, since we get so much solicitation to join in :-)

See you all later you hear....Tanya

nightowl88 05-29-2006 05:51 AM

Hi again ladies,

I just got home from work again (still Sunday for me). I did a 12 hour shift tonight, uggh....I'm tired. But not too tired to check in with my chicas to see how you're all doing!! Nice to see we have another newcomer. :welcome2: ryanmi72!!!

It's weigh in time for me tomorrow when I wake up..... ooooh!! I feel like I did good! I'm hoping for a 2 lb loss. :crossed:

AND don't forget our exercise challenge starts tomorrow, or today for most of you, well let's just call it Monday. Tanya, glad you're in with us too (nice try with the crunch bars!!!) ;) OK girls, bring on those crunches baby!!! Our abs are gonna burnnnnn!!!

Good night.

tlujan1 05-29-2006 09:26 AM

I am up early this morning...I got no sleep last night or maybe 4 hours. My hubby was snoring so loud and remember I had 2 cups of coffee earlier...I am going to be hurting today. Everybody is still asleep, even the young one...so I am drinking my green tea and doing my thing.

I looked up some stuff about belly dancing, talked to hubby about it, but he was happy, he said isn't that the same as stripping, why don't you learn to do that? Jerk! I am going to check out the class anyhow. We are not the riches people so money is tight, but he goes out to eat all the time, so why can't I spend $35 to take a class. Right girls!!!!!

I used to want to be a belly dancer when I was a kid. Now I have a big old belly and I want to put it to use.

Talk to you all later.

By the way it is nice to have new comers.

Tanya

ryanmi72 05-29-2006 09:31 AM

You spend that $35!!! Especially if he goes out to eat all of the time...I'm sure $35 isn't going to break the bank, and besides, if it's something you enjoy that makes you feel good about yourself, then it's money well spent! :)

Good Luck-Have Fun!!!

nightowl88 05-29-2006 12:41 PM

Good afternoon ladies!
I weighed in and I'm down 4lbs!!! :dance: Yay!!!!!! I get to go change my ticker thingy now. I'm glad it's moving again and in the right direction!

Who needs Shakira when we got Tanya. I'm with you babe!! Go for it, shake them hips and drive your husband wild!!

I'm off to go work on those crunches and then get ready for work. Have a great Memorial Day everyone!!

tlujan1 05-29-2006 10:31 PM

Hey girls I am hungry and I just ate dinner...I hate that. Got to get that water. Well too much fun today...I was talking about the belly dancing to the hubby again and he protested, then he was telling me why...one of his friends and him went to one of the many purades that we have in SA and saw some belly dancer...and his friend commented about the dancers about them being crazy and in their own world not here on earth. I told hubby...well, I am just going to have to invite him to my first recital.

Well, I did the cable thing and did a beginners class of exotic dancing. They were teaching you how to walk, and roll your hips, and do the squat roll...not pretty. But, I was doing the siductive walk and the whole time you can hear my knees pop and crack. Sad!!! I am so sore.

Well, I did my crunches...60. I suprised. I had asked my hub (james) to hold my feet and count for me and he agreed to do twice as much as I did...so ofcourse I tried to do a lot. Well, that poor man was huffing and puffing...he was dying. Inside I was laughing so hard. I hope he keeps it up with me. My little one Camdon, wanted to do them too. So he layed down on the mat, and I held his feet and he just moved his knees from side to side, and I counted out loud and praised him...he had a blast with that.

Well, got to go girls, time to put little one to bed and drink that water.

T

tlujan1 05-30-2006 02:26 PM

Where are you girls????

Heather 05-30-2006 04:53 PM

Hey there new chicks! Just wanted to let you know that I started a June exercise thread and encourage you to join us over there!

Right now we're setting goals -- how many minutes of exercise to do for the month (hey, those crunches can count!). Then we'll be posting what we do. It's GREAT for accountability, and you can set any number of minutes you like for any kind of exercise you like!

We also keep track of the group exercise during the month and are seeing how quickly we get to 100,000 minutes of exercise for the year (the 100K challenge) -- we are over 62,000 minutes in!

I hope to see you all there!

nightowl88 05-30-2006 09:08 PM

I'm still here!!! Sorry about not checking in all day, I had to work overtime again last night and didn't go to sleep until 8am this morning. I slept most of today away, now I'm just trying to get some stuff done around the house. Today is my only day off this week. Enough about that, blah blah...

So, yesterday I did 110 crunches. It was funny because I was hungry at the time, but I wanted to hold off eating until I got them out of the way (or I probably wouldn't ever get around to doing them). So, anyway I did them and realized that I wasn't hungry anymore. I wonder if it was because my stomach muscles were tightening up and it pushed away the emptyness in my belly. I don't know, whatever it was, it worked. I didn't eat anything until 3 hours later. Nice!!!

Today I was at home, so I used the blue Ab Lounge chair thingy that I had sitting in my closet for 2 years!! It was very comfortable doing the crunches on it, but I only could do 100 today because my stomach was hurting a bit from yesterday's crunches. I was afraid that if I did anymore I wasn't going to be able to get out of the chair. You have to kinda do one last crunch and sit forward to put your feet back on the ground (well I do anyway, I'm 5'5" and my feet don't touch the floor if I'm in it). The manufacturer says it holds up to 250lbs, but it felt like it was sturdy enough to hold me, it squeaked just a little bit.

Well, that's it for me. I wonder what happened to the other chicas on here. They must've had a heck of a holiday weekend if they haven't checked in here yet. Hopefully everyone is doing ok and they're just too busy. Come on back ladies, we miss you!!!!

Tanya, way to go trying out the exotic dancing! I bought this bellydancing DVD awhile back and tried it (come to think of it, I think I just watched it). I don't remember much about it now, but you just motivated me to pop it back in the DVD and try it again. No watching, this time I'll give it a go. Is anyone else like that? Do you watch an exercise program and then a few minutes into it decide that it's more interesting if you have a seat and just watch them work out? :lol: I do that all the time, it's so pointless!!!

youwin67 05-30-2006 10:54 PM

I am alive, and kicking (and screaming)! I fell into a sort of depressed state over the weekend. I think it was the heat mixed with the stress of the summer fellowship. I HAVE got to start writing good poetry soon or I’m gonna look like the biggest fool on Earth at the reading. I don’t know why I thought I could do this. My poetry is lame at best, now I am gonna have to drink 8 glasses of wine before the reading just to keep from fainting. …actually, If I drank 8 glasses of wine I’d prolly pass out on the podium.

Tanya, YOU GO GIRL!! Exotic dancing!! Woooooooowoo! I am impressed! Your hubby is gonna be so glad you did it I just know! And your little boy sounds just adorable. Belly dancing seems out of my league. I can’t even wear shorts!! Plus your family sounds great.

Nightowl, wowww you are doing good. I am eating my words! Both you and Tanya are kicking my lazy butt. I only did 30 crunches today and 20 the day before. Pplus I set my alarm to get up and work out but last night I had all these terrible spider dreams (I’m a terrible arachnophobic!) and the alarm didn’t even WAKE me! UGH!

Well I have a lot more to say but later. I took a sleeping pill to make myself go to bed early. AN herbal thing. I’t’s getting to me so I am off to sleepy land so I can wake up sooner and get my butt to the gym!

Oh and I was down 3 pounds today!! That’s since Friday!! I got 10 dollar credit on my account for losing over a holiday! Yayyy me.

Ok more later I swear! Good job ladies! You are rocking the challenge! And I am gonna go over and pledge on the workout thread. Something low to begin with!

Dusty

tlujan1 05-30-2006 11:49 PM

Hey girls...I am here again. My hubby is playing his video game...So I am in the office with you all. I did another 60 crunches tonight and it kicked my butt. I was reading on another sight about doing potty squats....So, here is how it works...you squat 10 times when you go to the bathroom. Obviously with your undies on, or off if you profer. So if you go a lot like me you could get in about 100 squats a day or even more. I started late today and forgot a couple of times...but I got in 20. I am sure I am going to get more in tonight. I am diabetic, and I peeeeeee like a race horse, normally at night when I am trying to sleep.

NightOwl: I used to do that with a girlfriend and I. We were both big girls and we would fix lunch and watch a work out video. Now wonder Iam over 300 lbs.

Dusty: we share the fear of spiders. I hate them. I have nightmare about them all the time. Yuck!! Look, poetry from the heart is never bad poetry. I write poetry as well, do what is right and sounds right to you...and from the heart. Write about your journy in life, the good, bad and ugly.

I did this picture thing where I got a thin lady and put my face on it. I look cute. I have not been thin since I was in high school....well, grade school. And you know I have a **** of a lot more wrinkles and gray hair. My face is so weathered especially in the last 2.5 years because of all the stress.

Oh well....I am getting tired...talk to you girls later.

Tanya

kaybee1966 05-31-2006 02:35 AM

Wow, everyone has been so busy around here. Welcome idlewild, it sounds like you have a good plan in place to be successful at getting healthy. I’m glad you joined us. Ryanmi, I hope stick around. Nothing sucks more than regaining after having lost a substantial amount of weight, but you’re at the right place for support from others that have gone through the same frustration..

Dusty, you are a great writer and I love reading your posts. They make me laugh, so I’m sure your poetry is much better than you think.

Congratulations on everyone’s weight loss!!! Way to go!!!! [B]Nightowl[/B], 4 pounds is awesome! I didn’t get in on the crunches thing, but I usually do an ab machine at the gym and am up to 150 crunches (2 sets of 75) on the ab machine. I haven’t actually gotten down on the floor and done crunches in a long time, but I should try it next time I feel hungry and see if it makes the hunger pangs go away like it did for you. Being able to start out doing 110 crunches it awesome. It would take me awhile to work up to that many at one time.

Tanya, Happy Belated Birthday to you. Belly dancing sounds like a lot of fun, I hope you take the class. Your story about putting your face on a skinny person’s body made me laugh. A couple of years ago my husband (who is a computer guru in his spare time) had a full-length picture that he took of me up at Lake Tahoe on his computer and he used some type of photo program and manipulated the photo and made me look really skinny. It looked so real. I looked like I was about a size 10 (I haven’t been a size 10 since probably 8th or 9th grade). I wish I could find it so I could tape it up on my desk to look at for motivation.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. We had a pretty nice one. Sunday my husband’s brother called and invited us to come over their house for a cook-out. They have a huge beautiful backyard with a pool, so it was nice to sit by the pool and relax with a few glasses of wine. I rarely drink alcohol, but it was nice to let my hair down for a day. I actually ate very healthy that day. My sister-in-law made a big salad and they grilled a bunch of vegetables along with the meat, so I filled up on as many vegetables as I could which helped me not overindulge in anything else.

Yesterday I ate a little off track from what I would like, but nothing horrible. I walked 4 miles yesterday and today I went to the gym for 2 hours. I also went ahead and weighed this morning since I didn’t do it on Friday and I lost 1.8 pounds, so I was happy about that, even though I was hoping for a bigger loss, but I am definitely not complaining.

Some of you asked about how I exercise so much and a lot of it has to do with the fact that I work from my home, so I have the benefit of being able to schedule in routine exercise time. I used to work a second part-time job outside of the house, but quit a few months ago, so I now just schedule exercise time into my daily routine. When I haven’t exercised in several weeks or months, I have a hard time giving myself that kick in the butt to get started, but once I do it for a couple of weeks straight, I really enjoy it and I actually get addicted to it. I realized several years ago while I was on a mission to lose weight, that I actually LIKED exercise instead of hating it. It has since become just as much of a mental health necessity for me as a physical health necessity. My life and household are extremely stressful right now and I constantly battle depression, so exercise is like therapy for me. Having an hour or two away from everyone and everything to exercise keeps me sane. Even when I fall off the wagon with my eating, I try to still keep up with exercising.

Have a great night!! Keep up the great work!

thinthinker 05-31-2006 09:45 AM

Hi Girls! :wave:

I'm stopping in quick this morning to share. I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I thought I put it out here.

The article came up on my MSN home page this morning and of course I had to check it out. http://health.msn.com/centers/cancer...36151&GT1=8155

Down in the article it mentions the American Cancer Society's Great American Eat Right Challenge and that's the part that's really kinda neat. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/PE..._Challenge.asp

When you go through it, there's alot of cool info. It's full of video clips so it actually seems like someone is talking to you. It's all interactive with cool things to click on and get more and more info. I haven't totally perused the whole site yet, but it looks interesting. Pretty neat. Thought you might like to check it out.

CIRCLES 05-31-2006 09:43 PM

Hello Ladies

I ran across this thread over the on Monday. Really like what I saw and was trying to read all the postings but that was not working beacuse I did not get back on line until today. I figured I better jump and introduce myself and try to catch up to who everone is as I go along. Really wish I had found you guys before you all the way to page four, but better later than never I guess.

Well a little about me......
It was said that any age was free to join
I will be 41 June 7
Married 11 yrs
Son 9 yrs old
Need to loose over 100 lbs

Look forward to getting to know all of you

ryanmi72 05-31-2006 09:56 PM

Welcome Circles!!

I'm actually new myself, but from what I know thus far, this is a great group of women! :yes:

Hi all...work has me swamped the last couple of days...it's the start of summer school, and so things are hectic! :stress:

Anyway, I just got home and now I believe I will eat dinner...tonight I am having shredded wheat! It's too late for much else...yea fiber! :rolleyes: :lol:

Hope everyone is well...

tlujan1 05-31-2006 10:45 PM

Here it is, I am getting frustrated. I have tried to post 2 times this is 3. I am going to bed.

I had a bad day today...did good on eating, but mad at the doctors (sons).

Okay...going to bed now and goign to try to post in the morning

nightowl88 06-01-2006 12:31 AM

Welcome circles!! Glad you decided to join us. We are quite a friendly group and there's not many of us so it shouldn't be overwhelming to get to know who's who. What are you looking for out of this group, what can we do to help you reach your goal?

Tanya, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your posts. I wonder if that's why people on the other threads create a new thread when it gets around 30 posts. Maybe it screws up the system a little....or maybe it's just your computer. :shrug: If anyone else is having trouble then let me know, I'll start a new thread.

ryanmi72, sorry things have been so hectic for you lately. I'm glad you're still sticking with us on here though. We're here for you and looking forward to reading more of your posts (whenever you get a free moment).

Dusty, hey hun, how ya doin? Kaybee's right, we all love reading your posts, I'm sure your poetry is really good too. You sound like you're being too hard on yourself. Just chill out a bit (double meaning, relax and find some air conditioning too) and I'm sure things will work out. Be sure to keep checking in with us, we'll be your support system to make sure you keep on plan. Good luck!

Kaybee, way to go on eating good over the weekend!! I love grilled veggies too, they taste so different cooked on a grill, don't they? You blow me away with all your exercising!!! That is so great. I wonder if I'll realize I love it someday too. Hope so.

Well, I have to confess I did ZERO crunches today!! My abs are killing me!! I coughed earlier and lost my breath half-way through the cough because my stomach muscles hurt so bad! :lol: I think I'll give it a break and try again tomorrow. Hopefully they'll feel better.

Catch you tomorrow ladies!! Have a good night.

nightowl88 06-01-2006 04:10 AM

Hi ladies, I can't sleep. I don't know what's up. Maybe I'm used to staying up until 6am over the past week that I can't go to bed at a reasonable time. Oh well, so here I am......

I've been busy though. I decided to be daring and post some pics (no face shots) of my bod in a bathing suit. I know, I know, how scary!!! I was actually hoping for honest opinions on which suit is more flattering, if that's possible to be in a bathing suit and have it be flattering. I just bought the black/green one, it's a two piece tankini, but it looks more like a tennis outfit than a bathing suit. The blue one is 2 years old, but it's comfy and hides the belly and upper thighs well. Which do you like better, or do you have any suggestions on a style that you like best for women our size?

Anyway, hopefully the link works, it's my first time posting pics on a website. The link may not work due to my inexperience. But here goes: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/nigh...ndex.album?i=1

Thanks.

ryanmi72 06-01-2006 06:27 AM

I really like the black and green suit on you. The blue one is nice, but the black/green is much more flattering, in my opinion. It has simple lines, and the green on the sides is very slimming. Plus, I also think it's a bit more "current"...makes you look younger...which is almost always a good thing! :D

kaybee1966 06-01-2006 11:22 AM

Hey Nightowl, wow, how brave you are to post bathing suit pictures. You're a better woman than I am. All kidding aside, I agree with ryamni -- the green and black one is my fav. It's a very cute swimsuit and the lines and the solid colors are much more slimming and give you an hourglass shape....that's my 2 cents anyway.

tlujan1 06-01-2006 03:06 PM

Hey, nightowl, I love the black and green one. Atleast now we can put the butt and boobs with the name. Ha, ha. This thing better post.

Had a had day yesterday. Took camdon to the doctors, it turns out that he might have Cranium Senistosis. Basically the bones in his skull fused prematurely. He would have to have another darn surgery. They will have to cut his skull and drill rods in his skull. I am not sure abbout all the details...Iam supposed to take him to a specialist next week. I will update you all on that.

I went on the scall yesterday at my son's dr. office and it said a weighed 335...I wanted to take it home and have an affair with it. I loved the thing. I know I am about 350 so there is no chance...the thing was just teasing me...Flirt!!!

I didn't do my crunches yesterday, because, I just didn't want to. I didn't eat out of emotion, but I did go to Target. I wanted to buy a lot, but only got some CD to burn. I found a motivational dress in a size large but, I could only fit one of my thighs in it right now. There is no way my titties would ever fit into the small little triangles they had for the boobies. I didn't buy it. I will figure I will get something else....maybe a maturnity outfit or something.

I hope I did loss a lot of weight this week, atleast 4 lbs, because I have gone to been hungry every night.

I need to post some pictures. I will post more on myspace some time today. I just hate all the pictures I have of myself. Slap!!!! Be positive Tanya...okay, I am back. I am a BBW, that is right...need to keep telling myself that.

See you later girls...Tanya

nightowl88 06-02-2006 04:00 AM

Thanks ladies for your input on the swim suits. It looks like the black/green wins by unanimous vote!! It's nice to have an unbiased opinion from people. Once again, this site is the best, I'm so glad I found you guys!!! Thanks again.

Well, my abs are still hurting me but not nearly as bad as they were yesterday. I did only did 25 crunches today because I didn't want to over-do it again. I should've started off low and worked my way up. It does feel good in a way, because I forget they exist most of the time!! They feel tighter because they're sore, so that must be a good thing.

Tanya, so sorry to hear about your son's condition. That sounds like a very scary procedure, you are a brave woman. Poor little guy. Hang in there, we're here for you if you need us. :hug:

youwin67 06-02-2006 09:10 AM

I started writing a post yeasterday and had to stop due to time constraint. I haven't got a moment right now but tonight is friday, which means no early to bed early to rise crap! SO I will be posting tonight!!

On a short note- Nightowl--love the black one

Tanya- You and your family have not left my mind in the past two days. hold in there and come to us whenever you need to talk. :hug:

Circles-Welcome to the gang!

ok guys back to the bump and grind, gotta do work.
~Dusty

ps. OW my abs!!

youwin67 06-03-2006 12:17 AM

Ladies ladies ladies!! I have some time to unwind and reply *heavenly choir rejoices* YES I know! Oh miracle of miracles, oh…stuff! Five minutes all to my lonesome! So now to respond to my favorite ladies, and all my new favorite ladies. Some of these responses will be old and outdated—but it has been a long week.

Tanya, Oh my I wish I could give you a great big hug. Ever since I got on and read about your poor baby Camdon you and your family have not been far from my mind. Keep us all posted, and let me know if there is anything I can do. I know, we are online and only exist in text, but I believe in the people behind these online screen names and the heart! On a lighter note, I am glad you got some shopping therapy in. I am the same way, I can spend a horrendous amount of money when I get bad or sad news or get depressed. God help me if I ever get the chance to have a hubby. I will need him to take my checkbooks!

Also, I checked out your myspace for the first time. It seems I never got around to actually seeing it before but there it was right on your signature. Your little boy is so cute and you look like you have so much fun! I wish I lived closer to you! I was in Texas for a while, Austin. I might go to UHouston for Grad school. And by the way—AHHH you are a Ewan McGregor fan too!!! I LOVE HIM! He is so cute and sexy! I was the only one who saw star wars episode one 6 times in the theater without actually ever seeing the other star wars movies! Wow!! Even my user name—youwin=Ewan!

Michelle, I don’t know if I welcomed you properly! So I say welcome to you! I hope you like it here and stick around a while! You lost 40 pounds! GO YOU! But you had to gain it all back awwww I’m sorry. Well hopefully you can lose it again and more now that you are here. These ladies rock! They keep me so motivated!

Circles! Welcome! Nope no age limit in our little group. I am 22. I am glad you found us! Welcome to out misfit gang!! I hope you feel free to settle in!

Nightowl, Hey you!! I like the black bathing suit! Actually I like both but I like the way the black one goes up higher in the back. But I was a little late for that poll anyhow. I still wanted to say I liked it lots and lots.
You are still kicking my butt with your crunches. I have only done a lazy total of 140—you did that much in one day almost!! You rule!

However I have dragged my massive butt outta bed 3 days in a row at 6:30 in the morning for some serious cardio. It’s killing me! But I’m doing it! I am really tired of being overweight now more than ever. I have never ever ever been thin but since my awful break up I really went to the deep end…and there are sharks and giant octopuses and those creepy green eel things all over (cause it’s scary!!). Last time I flew out to see my Abuela in Texas, I couldn’t buckle my safety belt. I was humiliated, and I hid it by sitting tucking it into my pants and praying the flight attendants were too busy to notice. I’ve never been comfortable on a plane. However, one day, I would like to get on an airplane without having to worry about my size. I feel sorry for the people who have to sit around me, and I feel there is a terrible prejudice about oversized people in these situations. Some day, I am going to go on a trip (to Spain or Germany or BOTH!!) and be comfortable. I am going to sit rather than squeeze into the airplane seat. I’ll put the seatbelt on and give it a tug and it will tighten and have way too much fabric hanging loose. I’ll order a drink, because I wont fear having to get up to use the bathroom. Ahhhh what a sweet thing it will be. This is like my biggest weight loss challenge and motivator. Because I am not well-traveled. I have only been to Wales! I want to go speak German to REAL GERMANS and I want to visit my tia Maria in Spain and not worry that she will be disgusted by my sight!

Since I am rambling today, a story:
Today I went to a dance performance by one of my sister’s friend’s dance class. It had girls of all ages, I found the little toddlers particularly adorable. They worked their way up. We had to sit through the classes. Then the high school aged girls came out and lo and behold-a fat chick!! Not just chubby, she was fat! She was only a little less than me. And she stood up there with those skinny girls, wearing the same shiny pants and little sparkled top and danced her butt off!! When she came out on the stage I could feel the whispers and rustling of people talking, some laughter. We were in the beautiful and large Valentine Theater in Toledo. I knew some people, maybe most, were making wise cracks. My mom squeezed my knee, because she knew what I was thinking. But I was so proud of her. I almost cried! She was so brave and she was a REALLY good dancer. I tried so so hard to be in those things when I was a kid. When I was six I took ballet because it’s all I wanted to do. But the little kids, other six year olds, they made fun of me so bad after a few classes I begged my dad not to take me back there. So I knew this girl had guts, and talents, and thick skin! It was a moment for me because I couldn’t stop watching her. They did keep her all the way in the back, and often had two girls dancing right in front of her. But she was a great dancer, better than most of them. I was so proud of her. I don’t have that kind of iron will. I am so afraid to even take a deep breath in public. I imagine everyone around me cringing in disgust at my existence. I know I must stop this. This girl, she was just amazing.

Well, I had a good work week. Both professional and physical (workin’ out). I’ve been having dreams about water lately. Every night this week I dreamt of huge fields of water and wading through it. I am not a good dream interpreter though! I had a few challenges. Alcohol has been tempting me right now. But I’ve managed to avoid it completely. IN fact—I broke my water streak this week. Up until two days ago I have drank nothing except for plain unflavored water for a solid 6 weeks. NOTHING. No pop or tea or coffee or juice. JUST WATER. However I had a spider episode two days ago while cleaning out my grandmas attic. I have panic attacks when it comes to those 8-legged jerks and ended up sitting on the shower floor with all my clothes on gasping for air (my wallet is STILL drying out btw) and after taking a real shower and calming down, I went to the fridge. I wanted something sweet so I opted for one of those new Diet Cherry Vanilla cokes. It really hit the spot, and I’m allowed to have three a week. So I don’t feel too guilty! Plus, after a spider scene like that…what more is there to do? It could have been a LOT worse.

Ok girlsies, I’m gone. I promise more frequent and less long, drawn-out posts for the coming week. Kisses and hugs to you all!
~Dusty

PS. What do you think about a work out CD exchange. The only problem being some people prefer not to give out addresses and that’s totally cool. I just wonder—what music do you work out to? Is it a mix tape you made yourself or do you stick to full CD’s by one artist. What is your work out style?

Me, I have lots of mix CD’s that really get me going and then I daydream while I work out. Only I have to keep it clean. Today I started thinking about Ewan McGregor and nearly fell off my treadmill! Goal for tomorrow: Think unsexy thoughts! Think Unsexy thoughts!

PPS. If you have problems posting, do what I do. Write your long posts in Microsoft word! Then you have spell check and you can just paste it right in! Woowoo!

tlujan1 06-03-2006 12:58 AM

Dusty you are too funny. Ewan is a big sexual struggle for me. My husband thinks its funny. He says that it is okay to fanticize about him, but it is kind of hard because my husband is black....hard to visualize a hot scottish beautiful man. Although I think my hubby is hot too. But, Ewan, sweet Ewan.

I did 110 crunches yesterday with the help of Camdon getting on the floor with me and doing his pretend crunches. I wish you all could see him doing them. It is the cutest thing. I didn't do any today. I left the house really early to take Camdon to see his developemental Neurologist, and that appt. last about 4 hours. Then went to Weight Watchers and went out to lunch with my mother. I saw Toni Parker, and Eva Lengoria, at the place were we had lunch. I just have to say, they are both really short. I thought he would be taller, but he was no taller then me. I know Eva is only 5'1", so I wasn't supprised.

We both went home and crashed until 7pm. I was really tired and so was Cammy. He had gotten up about 4am last night. And I didn't sleep that well either. I just hate the thought of him having to go through such a hard surgery. His CT scan is on the 13th. Then his appt. is on the 20th. I am looking forward to finding out what is going on, but I am also scard.

I not sure if you all are spiritual or not, but I have been really been having a hard time with God, and blaiming him. I just want to not care about him and go to church or pray. I know it would be best for Camdon to have some spiritual upbring, but right now I have a hard time just thinking about God. Sometimes I think about doing more about reading and studying the bible and stuff...but it stays at just a thought. I also have some Tabetin Budest beliefs, but more on having inner peace......which I don't have much of right now. I know I just need to get myself streight and then it will help my son. I also thought about going back into therapy, because of just feeling depressed about all Camdon has to go through. When I am with my son, I am so happy, and I don't think about the sadness and the pain. Then when I am alone or talking to James about things I get really down, and reality hits me.

I know this is overwhelming so a appologize for that. On a lighter note I lost another 1 lb. I was disappointed about that because I went to bed hungry every night...I thought I should have lost more. But, atleast I didn't gain.

I will talk to you all tomorow, I have got to go to bed.

Tanya

youwin67 06-03-2006 01:24 AM

Tanya, I am sorry you and your family is struggling so much right now. As for the whole religion thing. I went through this same thing when my brother had his brain bleed. I had 100 people hold my hand and say “Every time God closes a door he opens a window” WELL GUESS WHAT. I am too fat to fit through a window so that just leaves me trapped!

Spirituality is something I struggled with for a long time after that. I started reading about Buddhism and decided it was the right religion for me. I also was able to stop blaming these uncontrollable things on God or anyone. I read Pema Chödron’s books on cope and dealing with depression and life and loss and struggle through a Buddhist’s perspective. Now I don’t claim to be a Buddhist, and I have respect for all religions (as is taught by Buddhism) but it is what I decided. Because I refuse to believe that there is a higher power that fit it into His big almighty scheme to hurt a child like your baby son and my little brother. And with what people always told me—I felt that was what the big suggestion was. Also, A woman at the hospital said “No wonder…” when she took my hands and told me to say the Lord’s Prayer with her and I shyly told her I didn’t know it.

Religion is in your heart and in happiness and love for your family. If you love your little boy, that is all he needs. As a child who was taken to church by parents who were concerned about having religion as a staple, I can say it only made me sarcastic and angry. You give Camdon all the religion he needs every time you pick him up and cuddle him and I am sure that is at every chance you get.

I hope we can help get you through this hard time. I don’t know how therapy works for these things. It can be a sour and never-ending pain for you. I cannot even imagine facing this right now. We are here to hold your hands and lend our ears and I will keep you in my thoughts, you and Camdon and your hubby (who is very nice to let you fantasize about a direct-opposite-from-him hunk). You remember to keep your head high and don’t bottle up your emotions and remember you don’t have to feel bad about anything, just wait for the news. My mother is a nurse and says this procedure is not uncommon. Put your faith in doctors.

As for weight loss—you should not go to bed hungry. To me that suggests a problem! Hunger is your body’s way of telling you it needs something. If you don’t help it out, it will find other ways, it will store foods and fats in fear that it wont get them later. Why not get some light snacks to have at night. As hard as it is, try to fit in 6 meals a day. Snacks and such. I usually have a yogurt at night. I eat it real slow and when I am done I am not hungry. Remember it takes 20 minutes for food to register so you may still feel hungry. Gnaw on some celery or carrot sticks or an apple. Just listen to your body. Going to bed hungry is like going to bed and telling your body to deal with it’s own problems. Eat the right foods and step it up a little. Remember you have to eat to lose weight. Especially us larger women, our bodies require more in order to function at full capacity. Think about it and try something. Plus don’t worry about late snacking. A late snack is fine if you are hungry. Listen to your bodies warning signs and don’t torture yourself. You have enough of that in other aspects of your life as it is. Take care! And talk soon.
~Dusty

nightowl88 06-03-2006 05:15 AM

Hi ladies,

Well, my total crunches this week=235, and my abs can vouch for every single one of them! Actually they feel much better today, even though I didn't do ANY!! I was bad, bad, bad today. Real bad! I ate horribly! WARNING--possible food triggers mentioned ahead (skip to next paragraph to avoid). I started the day off with coffee and a chocolate dipped biscotti :T, then I decided one biscotti wasn't enough, I wanted another (110 cals each, mind you). Then, for lunch I was out and about doing some errands and drove past a McD's. Uh oh, craving set in.... this is bad, but I'm going to confess anyway.... I couldn't decide between a McChicken or a Filet-o-fish, so guess what? Yep, I did both!! Tsk, tsk, tsk. Then I felt like crap for eating so bad and decided to skip my dinner at work tonight and eat some veggies that I have in my fridge when I got home tonight. Well around 10pm I started getting hungry again, and one of my co-workers was going out for subs. So, I ordered a gyro on pita because I thought it wouldn't be too bad of a choice (I really have NO IDEA how many calories they are, I'll have to look it up later). Anyway, the co-worker ended up getting a LARGE order of cajun fries for himself, but then he realized it was too much and offered to split them with me. I couldn't resist! Well, wouldn't you know, I'm driving home tonight and my stomach starts doing flips... and I'm burping... I'm getting indigestion, aaaahhhhh, then it comes on, the bellyache! My body just wants to reject all this junk and grease I fed it today!!!! Uuuugh! And I didn't even exercise today. I wish I could just scratch this day outta my memory. I think I'll cleanse my body and eat fruits and veggies for a day or two. I need to get rid of the heavy, greasy, and starchy foods I ate today. Uck, I don't want to think about it anymore!! Sorry for all that venting, but at least I'm being honest with myself, and with you all. Thanks.

Dusty, my girl is back!!!! What's up? We missed you here this week! How's the poetry coming along? You are such a great writer, I love reading your posts. Are you sure you're only 22? You really have some great insight and inspirational words for a young'un! :D

Well, I think the CD swap is a great idea!!! I was actually thinking of doing something similar a few days ago, but wasn't sure if we were going to start losing people to the numbered thread. So, yeah let's do it! I actually had thought of doing a little care-package type thing. Nothing big, just a handwritten note (for personalization), maybe a motivational magazine clipping or article, and a CD with your favorite workout music on it. I was thinking we could buddy up with a person and then swap off buddies every month or so. We would have to do most of the preparation and planning through PMs or our outside email addresses (so not to break 3FC site rules). I love this place and don't want to get kicked out! Let's talk more about it if you think we should do it.

To answer your question, I listen to my iPod when I work out. I have two playlists. A hard rock mix for when I want to pump myself up to really sweat alot!! And then I got the hip/hop dance mix for when I want a medium pace like for doing my crunches or walking or trying out my bellydancing moves (Yeah right, if that's what I can call them!)

Tanya, I wish I could say a few words to comfort you, but I wouldn't even compare after reading Dusty's reply. She captured so much of what I would like to say, but worded it much better than I would ever know how to. I was getting choked up reading through it all. Please just know that we're all thinking about you and James, and of course your lil' Cammy (especially doing his crunches with Mommy--what a doll!!). We will help you get though this, so please stick with us and keep sharing your thoughts. This could be good therapy too.

Kaybee , you sure have been bustin' your chops getting in the exercises. I saw your posts over on the exercise thread. Keep it up, you're doing great!!

Heather, Michelle, and circles... How we all doing this week? Let's hear from you ladies. Did you have a good week, bad week? Did you stay on plan? Hope to hear from you all soon, keep us posted. We're in this together!!!

Goodnight everyone, take care!

tlujan1 06-03-2006 03:57 PM

Last night we went to dinner with the folks. As you can tell we are really close to my parents...because they are a blast to be around, and have been the rock that has kept James and I sane and helped us keep a roof over our heads during this time. We went to a steak house. I avoid red meat, well, because it makes me fart...not just fart, but FART!!!!! Well, I said I am going to blow it. I had qual, steak, crab cakes, mushrooms, and salad. I can home and realized that my so called food party, wasn't that bad. I think I was supposed to of had some chocolate or something. I guess the next food party I will.

This morning I didn't want to get up but I have been protesting and not cleaning. So I had to do the kitchen, and make breakfast. I was a good mom and wife and cooked and cleaned. Then I got on the internet...I love doing that.

I feel like the biggest dork: I went on the net to do a bidding war to get tickets for my son to see the Wiggles. I was determined to get floor seats. I got them!!!! He is going to have a blast. I realized during that time, I was most likely competing against the mothers I competed against to get cool concert tickets when I was younger. Time has passed and I really don't care about going to see concerts of musitians...I would mush rather listen to a good CD or watch a good movie. I payed close to $40 each ticket for the Wiggles...crazy. I guess they realize that there are crazy mothers like me who would do anything to make their child happy. This should date me...the last concert I went to was a few years ago...Rick Springfield. I can't believe I told you all that. Can you believe that I didn't like it because he cussed too much. Man, I am becoming my mother.

I was telling a friend of mine that I got my nose pierced and two tattoos, just so I can convince myself that I am cool...but I realized today, which has been obvious to the world for a long time, that I am the biggest dork.

Dusty: thank you so much for the encouragement. It has been really hard. The thing is that pisses me off sometimes that religious people say is that God will never give you something you can't handle...well, I am not handling this very well. I know from the outside people think I am strong but I feel that if there is just one more thing I am going to loss it. I know there is a passage something about God provideding something to stand under...but, I haven't found that refuge. My husband and I spent 10 years in a church serving God in every way. I went into labor early and no body sat their with me...I was alone looking at my child on life support, day in and day out. I was ticked at that church, and the people I went to church with. Then eventually God. I will PM you sometime and tell you all the details...because later on James and I realized it was a cult. Crazy how we didn't see it before. But, it is a long story.

Nightowl: thanks tons. I look forward to your posts. I will not lie, My mouth dropped open when I read you ate both of the sandwiches...Girl.

That is why there is always a new day. Today is mine.

Total for the week: 220 crunchs...plan to do some today. I really like this crunch thing, because it motivated me to do them. Before I wasn't doing anything.

I am really looking forward to getting out of the 300. I know it is a battle...but we can do it. Nightowl I just realized you are no longer in the 300...I know I am a little slow, but congrats. Both Dusty and Kaybee don't have very far to go....We can do it girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care...Tanya

NotTheCheat 06-03-2006 11:06 PM

I read your thread and wanted to say that you all inspired me to add crunches to my strength training routine and I did 50 tonight. Way to go everyone!

tlujan1 06-03-2006 11:43 PM

Hey girls I am back. I went to a little party tonight...no dancing on the tables. I didn't drink. My best friend came down, and it was great seeing her...she really lifted my spirits and allowed me to cry as well. She is moving to SA reaally soon...and that makes me so happy.

I took Camdon for a little walk today. He wanted to hold my hand and then when we came back he let go and took off running. He enjoyed it so much. I was realizing that I need to take him out and go for walks because not only will it help my butt get smaller but It will help him because he likes it so much. I have been thinking a lot about how Camdon is going to immitate my habits. I watch a lot of TV, but I don't want that to be immitated...so I need to get out and do things. Go walking, go to the park and other fun stuff.

I am so emotionally tired right now, it is hard for me to think. I will write to you all later.

Tanya

nightowl88 06-04-2006 06:25 AM

Hi Ladies,

Tanya, I'm glad to hear your friend will be moving closer to you. That is great! You really need someone to lean on this time in your life.

Your walk with your son sounded wonderful too! You are right about kids picking up their parents habits, good or bad ones. At least you are aware of it while he is so young. You can still change the bad ones (or at least not do them in front of him so much--like watching TV.)

Nancy, so you decided to join in on the crunches? Awesome!

Well ladies, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the whole gastric bypass thing.... and I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about it. Last summer my old doctor suggested I attend an information class. I ended up going and I met about 4 people (men and women) who had the procedure done. It was amazing to listen to their stories. They brought photos and one lady even stayed behind after the class to show us her scars (about four 1-inch sized ones). I went back to my doc and told her that I wasn't ready for such an extreme option to lose weight. I wanted to lose it the old fashioned hard-work way. Plus my brother has Crohn's disease and had 17 feet of his intestines (including his colon) removed due to it. I couldn't imagine having a surgery done to mess with my insides just because I was fat! It just doesn't seem fair to my brother. Anyway, I told the doc no and put the thought out of my head. Well, a month ago I got a letter in the mail from that information class saying they were having another meeting and gave me the date and time to attend. It got me thinking again... I have been overweight since I was 8 years old. My lowest weight as an adult was 220lbs. I think I'm just destined to be fat and I will go through this struggle the rest of my life. Maybe I should do the surgery to help me. I know it changes your eating lifestyle forever. Your stomach is reduced to the size of an egg. But maybe that's what I need. I don't know. I'm a little down right now. I feel like I've been obsessed with my weight and eating and exercising so much these past few months that I'm tired of it. I want help. What do you ladies think? I know it takes about 6 months to schedule the surgery, so I have some time to think about it.

Thanks for listening (reading). I just needed some advice and to bounce it off someone else. Thanks.

NotTheCheat 06-04-2006 09:38 AM

Nightowl - My best advice about the surgery thing is to go and read the section of the boards here about it. It is not a magic cure and has some permanent and nasty side effects. You have already lost 30 pounds - it may seem like a long road, but doing it the old fashioned way will build the habits and know how to hopefully keep it off forever.

There was also another thread here in the 300+ section about it awhile back which I will go find . . .
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74267
The question was a little different, but the responses might be helpful.

Of course in the end if you feel it is the best decision for you then you should do it, but definitely find out everything you can first.

thinthinker 06-04-2006 02:05 PM

NightOwl: Here is the section here at the Chicks that Nancy was referring to: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78 It's full of lots of information on all types of weightloss surgery. Good Luck!!

youwin67 06-04-2006 03:26 PM

Hi guys!

Nancy, woo hoo joining our crunches is great. Maybe I should announce our little challenge game on the numbered thread or as a whole new thread.

Tanya, You are too right about setting good examples for the kids. I donít have kids yet, but I am desperate to have them some day. I imagine popping in a work out video because children LOVE to do that kind of stuff. I think it is amazing, something so miserable as an adult, can be so so fun as a child. I wish my mother had formed those habits for me as a child (I donít blame my mother of course, not in any way shape or form). It sounds like you are doing the right things though. I canít imagine there is any better motivator than a child.

You paying for Wiggles tickets cracked me up. Now THAT is competitive parenting. Itís ok, I am 22 and I donít like live concerts anymore either. They seem soÖI dunno. I would only really go see two music groups right now if they came by my way and thatís U2 and Billy Joel (Iíve seenU2 3 times and Billy Joel once, see music doesnít date you!!). Iíve gone to all of the others and every time I go to a concert someone spills beer on me! I must look like a depository or something! My friends think I donít want to go because Iím fat and donít want to get excited like thatÖumm two words for them: (Censored). I just donít feel like going and screaming and shouting with masses of idiots. I grew out of that after high school.

Iím looking forward to getting to 300 as well. I am eeking closer and closer.

Nightowl, you are absolutely correct. Being honest is one of the most important things to be in this epic battle of ours. Your McDonalds weakness the other day rings so true for me as well. Itís something that nags and begs at you and we give in to this temptation and pay for it later by feeling awful. I know it doesnít feel this way, but itís nothing to be ashamed of and I applaud your ability to admit it. In my worst days, I would stop on my way home from school and eat a large fast food meal, then come home and eat dinner as if it never happened. It became almost daily. These things happen. You admitted it and judging by your recent post, I donít think youíve forgiven yourself for it yet. :hug:

I have gone the route and back again of considering weight loss surgery. One day my motherís friend Cindy came over, and as conversations usually go with me and Ďnormalí people, we began talking about my weight problem. Cindy said ďGastric bypass surgery! A woman I used to work with got that! It works!Ē My mom said Oh really, all interested despite being a nurse. Oh yes yes! Itís great, sheís lost SO much weight! She picks up the phone and says Iíll call her! She called the hospital department the lady worked in and asked to speak to Amy. Then she put the phone down and said ďOh my God, she died.Ē I just shook my head. Iím dying to lose weight too, just not literally, thank you.

I think we all have times, when we reach that point. A peak of desperation. A depression that comes from our size, the unfairness that we feel in public, in private, even in the way we regard ourselves. I think we have to be gentler with ourselves and more understanding.

It is a long hard road. However, when I planned out my weight loss at the center, I set a date. Planning out the amount of weight I will lose compared to the amount of time it will takeóI should weigh 150 pounds by December 7th of 2007 assuming I lose an average of 2 pounds a week.

That is a long long timeÖfor some people. But for meóthatís no time at all! Thatís ok. I will work hard until then. I will deal with all the tears and the sweat and long long days of feeling like a second class citizen.

I guess my point is, a whole year of this is hard guys. Really darn hard!!

But to analyze a little---why is it hard?

I believe it is because eating is a social sport, a recreation. You have a nice night because you go out to dinner. For my family, it has always been when we gather together once a day around a table as a family. Itís what you do when you go out with friends. Itís the social playing field for human beings. We eat with our families and with our friends and with our loved ones. Every holiday is pretty much a celebration of good food and warmth. Because food makes people happy, something that tastes so good can be a memory and the people you had it with. No one remembers a meal where they ate alone.

Soóthe point of my ramble. The hardest point of weight loss for me is that I canít escape it. My family and my friends and even my co-workers know I am dieting. Every meal is faced with ďCan you eat this?Ē and ďSorry honey, I made dessert for everyone else, if you wanna go back to your room itís ok.Ē And ďDusty, we are going out to eatÖohhh you canít go.Ē My friends want to drink and sit on the floor and watch movies with a tub of ice cream. My co-workers give me these looks of pity and donít invite me out anymore.

If I keep this up. I will have to do this hardcore for a yearóthen be mindful for the rest of time. Work out a few times a week, make a few healthy choices and enjoy life. That is what doctors recommend anyhow. If I get gastric bypass surgery, this will be my life forever. Every holiday will be misery. Everyone will know who eats with me. My social life will involve this forever. I will have the tiny portions and I wont ever get to sit there with my friends again and be normal.

There is a phrase I was told in weight watchers: ďEat to live donít live to eat.Ē This phrase IS a good thing to go by, however, it only works on a certain level. Eating is a human social activity and it is part of what our lives are. Imagine your favorite restaurant. It doesnít compare to McDonalds, going out and sitting with the people you love and enjoying good food. Demanding your partners ďtry this-you have to, itís so good!Ē and sharing that dessert. I am not trying to sound food obsessed. I am only trying to accentuate the role food plays in our daily lives. Letís face it, if we all lived all by ourselves on an island, would it be half as hard to eat right?

I just wanted to give my perspective. Nightowl, I think you can do this the hard way but I understand if you opt for the surgery. Like you, I have been overweight since I was a tiny little kid. I never spent a single day of my life feeling pretty or skinny or feeling special. I have always been an outcast. Being skinny probably feels like a million billion dollars. And I bet I can make it feel even better if I work hard to get there. Itís just that Iím doing this to feel healthy and accepted, and I donít know if I would EVER feel healthy, normal or accepted with a stomach the size of an eggóthrowing up because I took a drink of liquid too fast. Plus your body shinks and you will have to have surgery for left over skin where you ARE still YOUNG. Young, I swear it! And your skin still has Q-10 and elasticity and can bounce back. Just think about it and know whatever you decide to do we support you 120%! :hug:

Ok guys I have babbled long enough. I am sorry for this super long post!

** if you have read this far, please go to the consession stand to your right and collect your reward for reading the longest post ever!**

And letís do the workout music exchange! Anyone who wants in PM me and Iíll organize it!

Back to the bump and grind,
Lots of love,
~Dusty