Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#860

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.
Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday
These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #2  

Amy - Great! THANKS! I'll definately have to take some pics!

Amber - You are definately working out hardcore! I wish I had that much time/stamina! LOL

Well, I'm off for the night. Andrew said he had a bad day at work, so he's on his way over for some snugglin. I'll catch yall tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #3  

Hi all... just a quick check in to catch up and report in for my WI today.

Kayley -- I love Nicholas Sparks writing! I'm also a big fan of James Patterson and of Patricia Cornwell. But, right now, I'm a bit obsessed with J.D. RObb (who is actually Nora Roberts)... her JD Robb series are sooo good!

LAnne -- congrats on the writing jobs!!

I also use FitDay... I find that writing things down helps anyway, but having fitday keep track of calories, cards, fat etc really helps me see things more realistically. I think I've relaly learned, too, that doing things like that -- keeping track of points, and putting things into fitday, makes it almost seem like a game.... anything that seems like a game seems more interesting, more fun (ok... maybe fun isn't the right word, exactly... but... )... I'm big on games and all that, so it's helpful to me, anyway... seems less like a chore.

Speaking of games.... anyone catch Primetime tonight? It was about Game Theory... very interesting. But most interesting... they had a thing they did with people and motivation for losing weight. They took 6 or 8 people who were overweight.... and gave them a great incentive (read: THREAT) for losing weight: The people had to put on tiny bathing suits---2 piece bikini type for the women--- and had a ton of photographs taken of themselves--right there in front of everyone with a professional photographer. The viewer only saw their heads and a lot of blur, though. The deal was----if they lost 15 pounds in the eight weeks they were given, they could have the pictures back and no one would ever see them. If they didn't.... the pictures were going to be posted on the internet and shown on this episode! THey signed contracts agreeing to this. FOr the one guy on there.... his deal was HE had to lose the weight BUT... both he AND his wife had pictures taken---and BOTH would be posted if he didn't lose the weight. whoa. lol
no one had their pictures shown lol

OK.... so the moment of truth... WI this morning..... and down 2.5! That makes an even 25 pounds down! I was really hoping for more today, but I can't be too disappointed --- I'm thrilled to be able to say I've lost 25 pounds.

SO... that's my story. FOr those of you feeling the discouragement pangs---remember that it's all ups and downs.... you WILL be up again. May we all stay strong and be good to ourselves.

Have a great night / day!

Melanie
Old 03-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

MsCrockett- thanks for thinking of me. i LOVE school. i will post pics as soon as i get my camera cable back from my friend. its SO fun. we play beauty school every day - well thats what it is - but we do each others make up. we learned corrective makeup this week, so i can now make your face look slimmer and cover any blemishes, as well as correct eyebrows, wide or narrow set eyes, misshapen lips, noses (wide and narrow). anything. its fun to do and see the real difference that a little hilight or shade will make in thinning out a face. i may start doing it every day.

so after my poor showing at my weigh in the other day, i went to the gym and made them take my measurements. i did it back in december, so i wanted a benchmark for my progress... ive lost 31 inches overall. that was a huge ego booster. i felt much better after that. ive gone to the gym every day this week so far (well since wednesday). ive gotta get over this plateau. ive sat at 288 for a month now. its frustrating.

i hope you are all doing well
Old 03-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Luan, WELL DONE on the inches LOST!!!
Tasha, I missed the last post so I sent you a PM, I NEVER meant YOU were bringing me or anyone else down, a lot of us seem a bit down for one reason or another, please accept my apologies for not making myself understood, I'm a bit THICK at times (stupid).
Nothing to report, I feel like cr*p , I might have to go back to the hospital as I'm still bleeding, the iron supplement I've just started taking; I keep getting out of breath whereas usually I don't, a sign of anaemia (sp?); tastes like blood, ugh but it should help me feel better soon.
Zelma, I don't know about B12, but in a week or two I will start taking a special hair, skin & nail supplement which contains vit Bs 1, 2, 3 and 6 along with B12 & lots of others, D, E, C, folic acid and some elements. When I typed in female hair loss and other variations on two search engines all I got was lots of sites selling wigs, herbal remedies, hair extensions and other tablets, which were all VERY expensive. I learned about iron deficiency affecting hair loss watching tv, I thought most hair loss in women was hormonal or stress related, but the arrival of your 'monthlies' may be affecting your hair, try a vitamin supplement, unless you are sure you are eating everything you should, then see your doc, just in case.
I have to go, Ammi is ok, I think she's just a bit poorly/blue, life in the UK can be pretty depressing when its cold, rainy or snowy! I 'spoke' to her on msn the other day & got an email yesterday.
xxsharon
Old 03-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #6  

Melanie - I think that I saw a commercial for that when Mom was flipping through the channels this evening...didn't know what it was FOR, though! My friend is a HUGE Nora Roberts fan, and is constantly reading the books!

Luan - Glad you are enjoying school so much...wish I had YOUR enthusiasm for classes! I always thought learning how to do hair and makeup would be SO FUN.

I've been up for hours. I'm so tired, but everytime I lay down, sleep doesn't come. I finished the book I was reading, and read the magazines that I just got, and I'M STILL AWAKE! I have to be up in about 4 hours to go out with Mom, and ugh...I'm going to be BEAT.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/316/170

Good morning!

It's nearly noon, but I just woke up Husband was so wonderfull this morning: he came home from work at 5a.m. and at 7 he took our son to daycare And let me sleep! I have huge sleeping problems, depression causes it, and he knows that when I sleep it's good...

Here is so many wonderfull people writing here that it takes ages for me to read it all, and I don't even think doing personals, because I feel it's not fair to comment on some and leave other out! You all give me something to think about seems to me that everyone is loosing very quickly. Is here anyone that is loosing very very very slowly as I am?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

kirsikka--from your ticker, it looks like you've lost 4 pounds just this month. I certainly don't think that's very slowly! It's over a pound a week, and they say not to lose more than 2 pounds per weke on average in order to maintain lasting weight loss. Losing slowly isn't a bad thing--at least you're losing at all, and the slower you lose, the more likely you are to keep it off forever!

I have been at this for about a year, and I'm only down about 40 pounds. That's less than a pound a week average, but at least I'm not back where I started or, worse yet, I'm not HIGHER than when I started

Sharon--thanks for the Ammi update! I wish she could be cheerier, but everyone's entitled to some down time. It's at least good to hear that she is okay.

Luan--way to rock that tape measure, girl! That is awesome!! I haven't taken any measurements. I know I should, but I don't want anyone else to see thenumbers, and it's hard to do myself (making sure the tape is straight all the way around, making sure it's in the same exact spot every time, etc.), plus I don't own a tape measure that is long enough (mine only goes up to 36 inches)

Melanie--I did catch the very beginning of that thing where they took the pictures of the overweight people in bathing suits. I thin kit was kinda mean of the show to even just show them with their bodies blurred out

I stopped at Walmart yesterday and bought some Just My Size nylons and *ahem* control top undergarments to wear with my dress for my sister's wedding next month. I ordered a strapless bra (since the dress is halter style) from JMS online--the kind that goes all the way down to your waist, so hopefully that will help to suck me in a bit as well. I am excited to put everything on together and see that maybe if I squint really hard, I'll actually have a normal woman's figure. I normally have NO waist at all.

I bought some Slim Fast Optima shakes last night, too. I figure having one of those is probably a better idea than skipping breakfast and just drinking a coke zero (which is what I've been doing lately). At least this way, I'll get some actual sustinence to start my day plus some nutrients. I wanted the AdvantEdge ones (since they only have 100 calories whereas the ones I got have 180), but they only had strawberry and rench vanilla flavors, and my experience with shakes has been that the chocolate ones usually taste the best.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Sharon - Thanks for the info on hair loss. I was told that the contraceptive needle could be causing it as well and I stopped having the needles towards the end of last year, so I'm hoping to notice some changes soon.
I'm sorry to hear that you are still bleeding. I'm sure that you don't need that added stress one little bit. I hope you can get that sorted soon.
Thanks also for the update on Ammi. I miss seeing her posts.

Ammi - If you are just out there reading, that is perfectly OK. I had a while where that was all I was up to. Just know that you are missed here and we hope you'll be back posting soon. I can only imagine how 'dreary' it can get in a location like yours. We don't have anything like the weather or hours of darkness that some of you get, so I count myself very lucky. I wish there was some way to cheer you up, but I know that is easier said than done. Roll on summer huh?

Kayley - I hope you manage to get some sleep before going out with your mom. You have to keep up your energy for when you go to the concert. Can't have you falling asleep during the concert now can we? Yeah... I can just imagine that happening!

Jill - Do we get to see a photo of you all dressed up for the wedding? I certainly hope so as your dress sounds lovely. I wish I could wear sleeveless or halterneck outfits. My arms are just too wrinkly for that.
I'm glad you decided to at least have a shake for breakfast. I don't want to nag... well, actually I probably do... but I know that YOU know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Could you manage a little fruit with the shake or am I pushing my luck with that suggestion?

Kirsikka - It is lovely of your husband to help you out like that. The extra sleep can do you the world of good.
I lost weight well for the first couple of years, but it has now really slowed down. I'm pretty sure I'm still toning up though, because some clothes fit better. You may have to look for those kind of changes instead of waiting for the scales to be nice to you.

Luan - Congratulations on the inches lost!!! What an achievement! I wish I'd done measurements at the start of my weight loss journey because I think that would give me an amazing picture of how far I'd come.
It is wonderful to hear about your classes. I could certainly use you around here at times to cover my 'faults'. I try my best, but I would LOVE to have a professional work on my face some time. I'm not sure I could afford to fly you over here every time I needed my makeup done though.

Melanie - 25 pounds loss is fantastic! Well done!
I don't think I like the concept of that show. Well, it is probably a good idea for those who participated, but I would NEVER have worn a bathing suit at my largest weight and humiliation would not have given me any incentive at all. I probably would have gone and pigged just with the thought of it. Some people are certainly tougher than I am.

Amy - The meal your sister made sounds absolutely delicious. It is when I read things like that that I wish I had some kind of interest in cooking. I really wish I could produce things like that, but my lack of interest seems to get in the way. I really don't like anything that has more than a few ingredients in it. That is probably why I stick to simply throwing together lots of salads.
It is great that you can get your sister passes to Curves too. It would be easier to go to a gym with someone else I would imagine.
Have a lovely time with your family this weekend!

Garnetfairy - I'm glad your shoulder is feeling better. I had a sore shoulder for a while, but only when I was on the treadmill. HOW my shoulder could ache while I was walking was anyone's guess, but it wasn't comfortable at all.
I hope you can find a cheap replacement mouse if you end up needing one.

Leanne - Great news on the new job! I hope to hear more about it once you have had time to settle.

Countess - It sounds as though you have settled with the idea of the higher weight. At least you still know that you have lost a significant amount of weight. Nothing can take that away from you.
You are doing a fantastic job with the exercise routine. It gives you a good feeling doesn't it?

Julee - I hope those cramps have gone by now. Oh... and WELL DONE on the weight loss!!! Must have been a relief to see it go even PAST last week's gain. Shows you are definitely doing something right.

Well, my day has been pretty tiring, with Professional Development in the morning then back to the 'hyper' class after all the green food colouring in their St Patrick's Day lunch. They were pretty good really, but I was not exactly up to teaching at all after the rushed PD. They tried to squeeze a full day into a half day and it just didn't work.

I don't have any plans for the weekend other than shopping and probably more shopping and perhaps a little cleaning. But I prefer the shopping part.

Happy Friday everyone!

Take care,

Zelma
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #10  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Morning ladies!

This morning I am here to vent! Sometimes living on this island SUCKS! As I said yesterday, I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I finally got in touch with the clinic and I can't even TRY a c-pap machine till the end of April/first of May. Do these numb-skulls realize that this affects your heart and lungs not to mention makes one feel like crap??!!?? I certainly can go buy my own she says. Nice! Like I have $1000 kickin' around and insurance won't pay for one until I try one of theirs. GRRRR. Some days I love living here, other days it makes me want to scream!

I'm all cranky now and I have only been awake for 30 min. NICE! It's going to be one LONG day!

Sorry girls.... I don't usually complain much but today, you are the only one's who will listen *L*

Brenda
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #11  

Talking

Top O' the Mornin' Ladies!

BEWARE! THE FOLLOWING IS A RANT!

I actually posted this on the "Old Hen's" board. But after I read what I wrote - I liked it. It makes me feel determined. So I thought I'd rant here too in case it makes someone else feel determined too!

I said:
"Finally, talking with my best friend I find out she's got an appt for a consultation for the LAP band. I've decided it's for the best - I don't think she'll ever lose any other way, she's diabetic, has sleep-apnea, her bi-polar meds cause her to gain, etc.etc. I just hope that she can learn to eat in a way that keeps the weight off. Anyway, she says the Dr referring her made a remark that he hopes she's big enough to qualify. So I ask what she weighs. "255" she tells me. I comment that's a bit more than me and she's shorter so she'll probably qualify. So she asks what I weigh. I tell her 244. Her reaction? Something along the line of "I weigh MORE than you!"

Oh the horror! Someone's fatter than me! I was SO PISSED! Why the bleep shouldn't she be bigger than me!?! Why is it I always have to be "the fat friend". Maybe I should be the slimmer, cuter person for one time in my whole bleeping life! My friend can be a thoughtless jerk sometimes. But I, of course, didn't say those things. I pretended I didn't feel like that was how it sounded. (Ok, I did ask her why the bleep I had the be the fattest person in the room!) But, I know she's been off her bi-polar meds since Medicaid cut her off and Medicare wouldn't pay for them and I'm surprized she isn't locked up - so I laugh it off when she apologizes - and go home and bite the head of my dogs my kid and my husband instead. Then I come here to vent!

I've literally spent my entire life as "the fat girl". I was never slim, never athletic. I remember at Girl Scout Camp overhearing someone say about me "She's nice - even if she is fat." I had a girl in high school tell me a boy had said about me, "She'd be pretty if she wasn't so fat." In college I had people ask if I was pregnant - and I was a virgin! I've gone out to bars with women friends and been completely invisible standing right next to them!

I spend a lot of time telling people that I've never really noticed the comments other people talk about. I say I've always had self-esteem and felt good about myself - and that's true. But you know, I've had ENOUGH! I don't care how skinny my friend gets - I'm not going to be "the fat girl" anymore! This weight is coming off!"

So, I'm sharing my newfound determination with you ladies! I had a good, OP day yesterday, despite my horrid mood. Today has started poorly, it was "Buddy Breakfast" at my son's school, where they could bring a parent, relative or friend to eat with them. Some breakfast...it was a big cinnamon roll. I have to have a good breakfast, or I overeat at lunch, so I ended up buying a ham, egg and cheese muffin too! But, that's okay. I'm back on track and one cinnamon roll won't hurt a thing!

Look out world - here comes Lilion!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #12  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

VooDoo-I started losing my hair when my thyroid got too low. I wasn’t falling out exactly, but my hair got so brittle that it would break off if it was longer than a couple of inches. Since I’ve been taking the thyroid my hair is still very fine, but it doesn’t seem to be breaking off anymore, and it is collar length at this point. When I get enough weight off to completely go off my blood pressure medicine, then the doctor can increase my thyroid medicine. Right now I’m on about a half to a third of what I need because it is contraindicated with blood pressure medicine.

Kirsikka-I am losing very slowly. I am trying very hard to only lose a pound at most a week. I have been doing this since November of 2001. I want to lose slowly so that my body has an easier time, both my skin and metabolism. I have been trying to take baby steps, changing one behavior at a time until it becomes habit. That can take 6 weeks to 6 months. I’m going to be doing this the rest of my life, so there is no hurry, although at times, I wish I could already be at my goal weight.

For me, I am replacing the guts of our toilet today. My husband isn’t too handy around the house. His dad was a Medieval English professor, so he didn’t learn how to swing a hammer, but knows a couple of very dead languages. I was raised poor in Oklahoma, and if you didn’t learn to do stuff for yourself, you had to do without. As long as I don’t have to actually pull the thing out, I’ll be happy.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #13  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Lilion, I just finished reading this one on the 40's thread. We all think and feel that way. We just have to make sure that the stuff that stupid people say, re-energizes us and not bring us down instead! Good for you at getting mad! Thats good for us and it means that you are in control!!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #14  
South Beach Life Style

GOOD MORNING LADIES

Lilion~~ YOU have one of those friends too, My best friend,of 20 yrs.. is having a "nervous breakdown" due to my life change,, she has a little boy, he is 4 and he always tells me "I love my fat nonnie", Connie is my name so hence, Nonnie, but I started that with him, and he means it with all the love in his heart. it is sweet, So I am hearing :how hard of a time he is going to have with me losing:..... OOHhhhh, Paalease! But I love my BF and some things You just gotta look over,huH, I changed my life she did not. I hope all goes well with you , and what is the LAP band, I have never heard of it

as for me I am doing well the next 3 days are gonna be a challenge , I wont be going grocery shopping till Monday, and there is Slim pickens here.....

Princespuffypants~~ Thanks for the update, and keep them coming, I love reading your posts. I know you write the same way you talk,,

Take Care All
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 334/321/165

Happy St. Patrick's Day Ladies!!

Well, I am having a fit inside because I can't figure out where all the water I'm drinking is going, cause it sure isn't all coming out, if ya know what I mean. I mean, I did lose 8 lbs last week, if I lost that much, it must be water weight, right? But, on the other hand I have AF this week and I usually retain water, but I'm still drinking. I don't know, I'm confusing myself.

I've been doing the Biggest Loser DVD's for 3 days now. I like it. The low intesity work out (cardio) is kicking my butt, but today was my second day, and I'm already doing it better. The strength training is great. I like how it has several different work outs on the one DVD. You do two for a week alternating strenght training and cardio and then you do the other two for a week and a higher intesity, and then you go back to the other two for a week and so on. It also uses the same two warm ups and cool downs each time, so you get used to those. The whole workout is only 30 minutes, but he really does work you. You get your heart rate up and steady which is what you need to do.

I should be getting my Celebrity FitClub BootCamp DVD soon also, so I will have to throw that in the mix also. I want to get a gym membership, but not until we have moved, which we should be doing in a couple months. Until then, I will keep on with the videos and just keep moving.

Oh, and Jill, I totally get you on breakfast, I'm not a morning person by any means and the thought of breakfast usually turns my tummy, but I find myself starving before it's lunch time if I don't have something. The SlimFast are great if you have absolutely no time, and are on the run, I do that once in a while, if the kids have Dr's appts or something like that. But, if you have 10 minutes, and you like fruit, think about a blender or smoothie machine. I finally broke down and spent the $24 at Wal Mart for my smoothie machine, I had been wanting one forever. And I make a fruit smoothie every morning and it's about 12-16 oz, of yummy goodness, at only 135 calories. So far, it's the best thing I've bought in a while.
Closed Thread