Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again... #858

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.
  • Motivational Monday
  • Tuesday Tips
  • Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
  • Thankful Thursday
  • FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
  • Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
  • Share your Success Sunday
These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 334/313/150

Hippy, I think food and gatherings have gone hand in hand since Biblical times haha (think loaves and fishes) I can't think of any party or function that I've gone to that hasn't had some kind of refreshment. I think it just makes people more calm and gives them something to do if they're nervous about socializing
Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #3  

Melanie- Its sad, but even after going to MSU for 2 years for my Masters & 2 1/2 for my PhD, I never went to any sporting events. We use to hate it when we were planning studying sessions on weekends in my PhD program if someone forgot to check if there was a football game...shows you how much any of us followed sports- lol

Lanne- Insurance can be such a pain sometimes. I spent 50-60 hours on the phone (mostly on hold) trying to get one of the nausea meds I've taken for years approved when my prescription coverage changed the first of the year. I still wonder if they didn't end up approving it because they figured I wasn't going to go away & I was going to keep calling & hassling them until it was approved I hope you can get all your preop testing done & get your surgery scheduled as soon as you need to.

Tasha- I agree with Luan & Violet that WW points is one of the easiest to follow, yet it teaches you healthy eating habits you use the rest of your life. I did WW several years ago, before I got sick, and I loved it. I tried going back to use the points system now, but with my medical stuff, I need to monitor things more closely so I'm using FitDay PC...but if I could, I would use WW pts. One thing I really like is that no food is off limits- you just have to budget for it with your points. I also found the point system helped me put a 'value' on foods- is it worth it to eat 14pts of junk when I could 'spend' those points on healthy foods that will fill me up for longer? And you don't even need the WW point finder or calculator once you know the formula- the one I used was calories + (fat grams x 4) - (fiber grams x 10)= Y, Y/50= # of points. It gets to the point (no pun intended) you can do it in your head even- if there were 5 grams of fat & 2 grams fiber, I knew they canceled each other out (5x4=20 & 2x10), so it was just a matter of dividing the calories by 50...and if you drop the the last 0 on both, then its only dividing by 5 (which my brain can handle better for some reason-lol). And when all else fails, you know its about 50 calories per point- if something has a lot of fat in it, round up or add an extra point or 2; if it has a lot of fiber, round down or subtract a point. Clear as mud?

Maria- Good for you with all the NSV! I guess that store wants customers to gain weight so they have to buy more new clothes with their chocolate give away

Laura- That's great that you can take the internet classes- especially with the kids. I participated in a research project were we did an internet based class at PhD level between 3 universities. It was great to have the best professors since its such a small program at each of the universities & there are only a handful of universities in the US that have programs in Rehabilitation Counseling Education.

Tracey- Good for you on the walking! I wish I could do more outside walking- not there yet, but maybe one day soon.

Mindy- How do you like the BL workout DVD? I keep trying to find it locally...I need to break down & order it on Amazon one of these days...

Nancy- Good job on the ice cream! Isn't it funny how differently we think about food now?

Luan- I understand the insurance issue all too well. That's great that Starbuck's offers bene's for part time employees...and at least it pays the bills, right? How long will it take for you to finish school?

Violet- If you ever look into recipe software, you might want to check out Accuchef. Its the only one I found that included fiber, which we need for WW points...plus they calculate AccuPoints for each recipe, which aren't exactly Ww pts (legally they can't be ), but they are pretty darn close (within .1-.2). Its pretty easy to import recipes into also....plus it saves me from having Word document with all these recipes with no organization to speak of. Do you like to bake? I have some healthy recipes I can share that you make for work...maybe if you can show your coworkers some other options & get some of them to bring healthier snacks.

Wyllenn- How often do you weigh yourself? Is it once a week? I know for me that I've learned a lot about myself by weighing daily. My weight will actually bounce around within 3 pounds or so for a while, then it will go up about 5 pounds above my 'low' weight just before it drops to its new low. Its kind of funny now that I know this, but in the past I know that upswing was the reason I thought I had failed once again & went off whatever diet I was on. You've been doing great with your weight loss so far!..and your body is recovering so it can take a little bit to get back to normal.

Brenda- glad to see you back!

Lillion- Good for you on bringing a lower cal treat! How is the elliptical going?

Ammi- You snuck in while I was preparing my post & I almost missed you I'm glad you aren't letting the scales get you. You might be onto to something there with building muscle- I know you & were both pretty inactive the past few years because of medical problems & I know I've gained a lot of muscle in the past couple months. I know I lost sooooooooo much muscle tone in the past 4-5 years- as I regained weight, I couldn't fit into the same clothes as I did before at the same weights. I finally bought a scale that gives me body fat & hydration levels. I'm still playing around with it- especially the hydration level since I know that makes such a big difference in my weight loss. I wonder if it might be something that could help you too? I'll keep you posted on what I think of it.

Catherine- Long hair also means you get to buy all the fun hair clips & things too I'm always on the lookout for a different way to put my hair up- especially when its as windy as its been lately around here.

Okay, my recent NSV 's...
  • I can wear some of my rings I haven't worn in years
  • Finding lots of clothes in my closet that didn't use to fit that are starting to get lose- even been wearing non-elastic pants & tucking in some of my shirts
  • Okay...have to laugh at this one...but some of my bras are getting to big
  • Wearing smaller shoes- I have to shop for a new pair to workout shoes!
  • Walking more without my cane when I'm out (more probably because the swelling is gone from allergic reaction I had for the last 4 years, but its a major victory)
  • On the same note, I can go up stairs normally now- that's something I haven't been able to do in years with all the surgeries & damage to my kneecap from the muscle being torn. (I'm still working on going down stairs- it still scares me a little so I have to really concentrate & make sure the muscles are coordinating to work right)
  • Easier to get in & out of the car
  • Out of the 'danger zone' of not being able to use home scales (they only go up to 330- I'm at 305 now)
  • Joined Curves- & love it!
  • Not as scared to see myself in the mirror :P
  • Having to fight the urge to exercise...instead of just being a couch potato

The scales are really confusing me - they did their normal upswing before a loss & yesterday they showed 305. Down one pound, great...but it was the day before my period started & my weight never goes down then-lol. The only thing I can think is that I've really been pushing my water intake to around 130-150oz, 60-80oz just wasn't cutting & I started noticing I was retaining water with only that much. It will be interesting to see what happens by the end of my period with my weight- maybe I'll finally break 300 Looking at my weight charts, I'm due for a good sized dropped- I've never been one to lose 1-2 pounds every week, I've always lost in spurts.

I'm off to Curves & running errands~
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #4  

Wink Internet classes

Christine, yes the internet classes are great! The only drawback is I've been at the library for over an hour and haven't done a bit of work haha These boards are great!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #5  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
Maria Lucia -- Sounds like you have a handle on a lot of your demons!
LOL HARDLY! But it's a daily struggle I've gotten used to. And, thanks for getting my name right. I think Americans are used to using as few letters as possible and the entire second part of my name just gets lopped off alot!

GREAT JOB everyone on your NSV's - being able to use a cane less; budgeting WW points to accomodate a party; noticing that you're not hungry any more and putting half your TREAT back into the fridge, walking instead of taking the bus...all these and more are just SUCH an inspiration! Keep it up girls, we're doing great! :-)

What's on my mind today:

I went to NBC.com yesterday to take a look at The Biggest Looser schedule and got sucked into watching all the videos and special features. While there, I caught a special on weight loss. They featured a bunch of people who had lost weight for a challenge they were running (don't know details since I rarely watch TV). A few weeks later they caught up with the people to see how they had done after the Weight Loss Challenge was over. Everyone but ONE person had gained weight back - up 20 lbs here, 25 lbs there. The expert they featured said "It's not losing weight where people fail, it's in keeping it off." Her words started me thinking.

This is the first time in 10 years that I've set my mind to lose weight. So, I cannot be called a "yo-yo" dieter and I don't want to become one. First, there are too many health factors that get screwed up with drastic weight fluctuations. Secondly, I'm working too hard to have to go through this again.

But the thing is, I am not sure HOW to avoid gaining the weight back once you've lost it. I go through my days making 100 decisions about what NOT to eat, what to say "no" to. I eat choclate pudding instead of a brownie. I make a pb & honey whole-wheat sandwich instead of buying a donut. I drink water instead of lemonade (my favorite). And on and on and on.

I see the benefits you know? The scale is gradually moving downward. I have more energy and I'm sleeping better. I am physically more fit. My clothes hang better on me. My skin has cleared up and positively glows.

So I SEE the benefits and they encourage me to keep going. But sometimes I get sad about not being able to eat like I used to...and I get resentlful at the people in my life who eat practically ANYTHING they want and don't gain a pound. And I wonder if all these feelings will get the best of me and lead me to throw in the towel.

What do y'all think?

~Maria Lucia

Last edited by ThisGirlsLosing; 03-15-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #6  
I'm In Exile

S/C/G: HUGE/HUGE/Semi-Normal

Hi everyone!!

I'm really feeling kind of down today. I have this electronic scale that has the part you stand on and the part you mount on the wall that displays the numbers. Well, I always stand on the scale one particular way and now I realize I was sideways on the scale (and have been for the past two years of attempting weight loss) Anyhow, the scale got moved and I stepped on it but the way I guess you are meant to step on a scale and WOW what a difference in pounds???
Sideways I'm at 358
Frontways I'm at 373!!!
Now I don't know what to do?? I don't have another scale to reference it with, my doctors scale only goes to 350 so I've not been able to weigh there in ages. What should I do?? Take my lumps now and assume the higher number is correct? or keep weighing the way I am and hope its right. I've been basing all of my numbers for the past three weeks around the scale being sideways, I just thought the cord was supposed to come out of the side but it was only when I had to move it I realized the cord seems to belong out of the top??
Anyhow, I'm heartbroken over this because while I KNOW I've lost weight, my numbers are right back where they were a few weeks ago.
I suppose I should just adjust my numbers now and be done with it, what do you think?? I just wish there was some place to get a second opinion
Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #7  

I'm sorry sweetie that's a tough question. Perhaps you could continue weighing in front ways, and when you get below 350 on that scale, go see your Dr? then you would know they would be able to weigh you I don't weigh myself at home at all, just the dr's office ( i can get a little scale obsessed ) Also, you could try a WW meeting or a weight loss clinic...they may have a scale you could use. My gym has a scale in the locker room (although I 've never seen anyone use it )
Old 03-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hello Everybody

It's been a while since I've been able to post. RL, you know? Anyway, things are going pretty good for me right now. My weight this morning was 248.4 lbs. which means that I'm now down 108.6 lbs. since my highest weight. I'm so excited! And did you all notice my ticker says that I now only have to lose 98 more lbs.? That means that I'm officially over my halfway point. I feel like a million dollars. I've even eaten lasagna and still lost weight. Wish me luck because I haven't been able to go to the gym at all this week so far. I'll go tomorrow, but I've been doing things in the house for 30 minutes here or there. I don't think I'm going to be meeting my exercise goal for March either at this rate. Maybe I should change it.

Well, I've got to go--I just wanted to stop by quickly and say hi. I go to the exercise thread to post lately--but that's about it. I will be honest--I am not even going to attempt reading all of the threads that I've missed. I don't have the hours that it would take me. Just know that I'm saying hi to everyone and welcome to all of the newbies. I'll try to come by tomorrow. Have a good one.

Vicki
Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Kirsikka – Knowing your eating triggers is the first step in being able to minimize them. Also, that is a great step in choosing healthy food even if you did overeat.

Christine – I know what you mean about the stairs. I am now almost able to walk up stairs normally all the time, but going down is still difficult and I take them one at a time and at a bit of an angle.

Maria Lucia – One suggestion I would have is to spend some time reading in the Maintainers forum here at 3FC. There are some amazing people who post over there and they are truly inspiring. At the same time, it won’t be easy. However, one thing I am definitely hoping is that by becoming more in tune with my body, I won’t want those high calorie things so much any more. Even now, I am as likely to crave a bowl of spinach of broccoli as one of ice cream. I still have a ways to go, but things are moving in the right direction. It is a hard thing to accept, but we will never be like those people that can eat whatever they want whenever they want and not gain weight. We will always, for the rest of our lives, have to watch what we eat to some extent. But I think once we work out why we so desire to be able to do that (what is so attractive about eating lots of junk that is bad for you anyway) that we won’t feel so deprived.

Countess – That is very weird that there is such a difference between standing front and sideways. If your scale was reading correctly I don’t think that should be happening. If it were me, I would go ahead and keep going the way you have been. The moment of truth will be once you are down below the 350 mark sideways (maybe at 345 to take into account clothes, etc.) and get weighed at the doctor’s office. Also when is the last time you changed the battery in your scale? Mine was acting super flaky and seems to be better with a battery change. Either way, you have come so far already. Don’t let this little blip in the road depress you too much. At the end of the day it is just a number – what is important is your health and how you feel.

I got my heart rate monitor yesterday and can't wait to try it out tonight. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Thank you to everyone for the support! I honestly couldn't have gotten this far without all of you. It really makes me happy to think...I'm 1/3 of the way to my goal! And it makes me think that YES I CAN DO THIS!!!! Last night, I was cleaning my room, since the computer wasn't there to distract me...and I found a 2X t-shirt I had gotten from Fashion Bug when I was about 15....hasn't fit me SINCE THEN...and I wore it today, and it looks GOOD! My mom said that you can DEFINATELY tell I've lost weight, especially when you look at me from the side. I really wish I would have taken some pics at 350 pounds! I NEED TO TAKE SOME THIS WEEKEND! So I really have no "before" pics

I'm in the lab, trying to come up with a resume and such, so I'll be in and out!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

Countess: Hugs, honey. That's really crazy the way the scale differs. But my thought is Keep Your Eye on the PRIZE. No one can take away the fact that you've lost 69 POUNDS! It doesn't really matter what you started with, or what you end with. You've lost 69 POUNDS!!! That's a GREAT weightloss effort. Don't let a scale take that away from you.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #12  

Angry

Countess: I totally agree with Nancy! No matter how you look at it - You have LOST 69 lbs and that is VERY impressive! I think whether you decide to change the #'s or not, you HAVE to keep that in mind! I'd also try looking for a different scale to weigh on. Maybe your dr. doesn't have one, but knows someone who does? After all, I doubt you are the only patient he has that weighs over 350.

Dolphingirl: Your loss to date has been STELLAR! (Consider that your very own standing ovation!)

Maria: VERY deep thoughts! I suppose it is a bit depressing to think that you can't ever eat the way you did before...or can you? There is nothing inherently wrong with eating fettucini alfredo or cheesecake or McDonald's. You're right, skinny people do it. I think the difference is - skinny people don't do it every meal or every day. I assure you, with the rare exception of run-away metabolisms, if they did, they wouldn't be skinny people very long. I believe that, when you are to the point of maintaining, you will always have to think about calories, fat and carbs. But I also think you can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner without gaining all your weight back. You CAN eat what you want, in moderation. I believe that learning moderation is the key.

Now...

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

I am incredibly tired of this office! I have worked here for 11 1/2 years and was reminded once again that these people are merely my coworkers, not my friends. A colleague is turning 40 and there is a surprize party for him this weekend. I discovered this not by getting an invitation, but by being asked about it by another coworker who thought I had been invited. I had not. Never mind that I have known the birthday boy longer than ANY person in this office but 1. Never mind that only I and 1 other person were here to celebrate the man's 30th birthday! I, apparently, am not good enough to invite to his party.

I HATE THIS JOB AND I HATE THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP EXCLUDING ME FROM SOCIAL EVENTS!

Just like they didn't invite me to the baby shower of the woman who was MATRON OF HONOR FOR MY WEDDING! (I got her a very nice gift anyway, brought it to the office and let her know, nicely, that I would have brought it to her shower, but hadn't been invited.) We may have drifted apart but for Cripes Sake does that mean I don't have feelings??? Apparently! SHE is the person who handed out the invitations to this party - I wish I could cut her out of my wedding photos!

Okay...rant over. I don't feel any better, either.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Lilion - Sorry you have to work with such lousy people! Come to Michigan, and we'll party!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #14  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Hi ladies. I'm having a hard time staying focused so I thought I'd pop in and post. That generally helps shame me enough to get my butt moving

Welcome to all the new ladies. You'll love it here!

Congrats to all the losers. You're all doing awesome!

For those of us who are struggling to lose, or have gained, keep going. You're still helping yourself become a healthier person. THAT is the important part. As a wise woman once said, "You are more than a number on a scale."

Countess, I agree that you shouldn't get too down about it because either way, you've lost 69 pounds. Whether you stand front facing or sideways, you still have to know that you've done an excellent job.

Lilion, I'm sorry your work situation is so horrid. People can be so insensitive and rude to others, and it really bugs me. It takes more energy to be mean to others than to be nice, but apparently some people never learn that. Don't let it ruin your day - you're much better than that, and you deserve so much more!

I had minor dental surgery the day before yesterday so I'm on 'light duty' for exercising. I'm only allowed to walk rather than the weights and exercise ball stuff I've been doing, because there's a chance I'll get dry sockets and blah blah blah. Not that I've been doing so great to begin with, because I'm really slacking lately in terms of exercise and making better food choices.

I'm just so tired of all the financial difficulties, arguing, bickering, and stress that seems to plague my family lately. There should be a mute button on some people!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #15  

Kayley ~ You are kicking a**. Way to go, girl!!! I'm so PROUD of you!!!

Lilion ~ It is the same way in my office. They talk about going to each other's parties in the office, but I am ignored. Granted, they are all a lot younger than me and I wouldn't go anyway, but it would be nice not to be invisible. Other people in the office (supervisors) socialize outside of work, but they keep it a secret and that concerns me more. People are strange ~ that's all there is to it.

Catherine ~ I know what you mean about the "growing out" stage. I think that's what gets me to cut my hair every time. It looks HORRIBLE growing out and I feel so weird about it, I feel compelled to cut it again. I would LOVE to have long hair again if I could skip the "ugly" phase.

Brandnew ~ I'm sorry your family life sucks right now. I'll send positive thoughts your way.

~~~

Thanks for the advice about WW. It sounds like everyone really likes it. In brief, I will say I was on it faithfully for a year and lost nothing. I believe the calorie counts are not completely accurate and that affects me because I am extremely calorie sensitive (I've posted about this a lot in the past). I got some ideas after cruising 3FC today so I think I can work something out.
Closed Thread