Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready to Lose - Volume #39

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME !!!!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #2  

Default How do you cope?

Nolifewithouthorses: I have a pdf file of GI and GL ratings if you would like me to email it to you.

How do you all go on with exercise or at least starting to? I have 200 pounds to lose and franky Im tired with minimal movement carrying around the weight of two extra people ....

Maybe its a frame of mind but I seriously struggle with even going out of the door let alone doing every day necessary things like shopping etc. I have to use the trolly for support as my back and knees are seriously groaning under the load and its as fast as I can get back to the car. More than 5 minutes walking and Im puffing, panting and sweating like an old steam train. It is seriously impacting my life and confidence.

Recently I was made redundant and I seriously worry about getting another position right now as you hear so much about discrimination against overweight people, I never even thought about this in the past. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any tips would be welcome.

Last edited by Friskipixie; 02-09-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

I think this is Thursday right? This has certainly been a weird week.

Want to hear the rumor du jour from yesterday at work? My boss is a Senior VP and CFO and she has an administrative assistant. This one is being fueled by the gossip assistant. She told two of my peers that the CFO job was posted on the Chicago intranet for a couple of hours on the day before. Someone "who would know" called her to confirm that our boss has resigned and that she wanted to be able to tell us herself before they post her job. Someone else told me that someone else saw a news blip on the same intranet about a female SVP that has resigned. She was gone yesterday afternoon to take her daughter to the doctor and is supposed to be in the office today and then gone for awhile. We have no idea if this is true or not. Talk about hard concentrating on work after that. Yes, she can be a raving and is not a skill builder at all; however, I do believe that she would try to save as many jobs as she can during this time of integration. If she is gone, we've lost an ally. I niavely believed that it would take a while before stuff started happening. We'll see.

In spite of the news, I did not run to the vending machine. Nor did I eat a bunch of food at dinner. I had a church meeting last night, so DH made me a Lean Cuisine and cottage cheese for dinner. Then, I bundled up like Sasquatch when I got home so I could walk the dork dog. It was cold but it felt great.

I did make a doctor's appointment for next week. I need to have my BP checked and to talk to her about the weight gain/plateau and just stress in general. I need to find a way to calm the stress because I am getting concerned about the physical toll this is taking on my body. i'm thinking I'll drag out the yoga video.

Valerie - BRRRR! WV does not sound like fun. Did you whine or walk?! You're doing great with making habit changes on the road - very inspiring! I bought my sister a food book for her birthday. It is loaded with nutritional information about all kinds of foods. She wanted something with the charts so she could find out what contribution to good health a food could provide. I believe it had the GI as well. I can't remember the name except that I went to Borders and looked in the nutrition section - its a very thick book and about $25. But worth it for all the info.

Friski - Welcome to the group! I've done a lot of reading about the GI type of diet. I truly believe in the South Beach diet because of its design to reduce the bad starches and focus on the good starches which is essentially high glycemic vs. low glycemic foods. DH is diabetic so watching the bad carbs is something we have to do. Good luck!

Lilion - Drink lots of water and flush those two pounds out! It is frustrating! Maybe some walking during the day could help too. Bundle up! I like Scarlett mode!

2Cute - I like your idea of not weighing. I think I need to do that too for awhile and really focus on getting my calories down and exercise up. Keep smiling and keep OP!

Thin - That sucks about the Ebay store. Geez, you'd think they would give you an opportunity to remove them and admit that you didn't realize it was against the rule. Was this their product that you had purchased and tried to resell? I've seen that online before. WW is very protective of them making a buck which is why I had soured on paying them a weekly fee. Love the program, hate the fees. Take care of that wrist.

Barb.G - Good deal on all that paperwork. Blech. Now get back to the gym! And get that Christmas tree down!

Ruth - Hope you're more productive today. I'm proud of you for letting the cookies be a one-time slip before getting back OP. See, all those weeks, you kept saying you couldn't stay OP, you CAN and ARE! Keep working it and don't let a bunch of cookies keep you from your goal!

I must get up and get going. Its cold out and I'd rather stay home with a blankie and a fire. But I must go see what drama that day holds.

Have a good OP!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #4  
Hang In There

Hey Thin, i just gooled Point Finders and it lead meet to Ebay. I c ounted at least 7 of them on sale there. Why aren't t hey shut down too?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Ok, this is soooooo off topic. Skip it if you want.....

Hi girls!

I'm back to working hard today so this will be a quickie. I know, big surprise!

On the subject of eBay, Yes, there are Point Finders up there all the time. The only ones they pull are the ones that WW tells them to pull. From what I understand, eBay does not police what you sell. They rely on other sellers or the "right's owners", in this case WW, to rat you out.

My justification in all this is that if WW would make the Point Finders available online to their members, then I wouldn't need to sell them, and I did sell alot of them. After all, people like an extra one for their purse when they're grocery shopping, or for goodness sakes, they're only cardboard, they do get tattered. Anyway, I told Honey that if I got contacted by the WW legal department that my excuse (not that it would make it any better) was that I wasn't selling to people who have access to local WW offices. The cities I was getting purchases from were like Podunk, Iowa (my apologies to anyone who might be reading this and lives in Podunk )

Oh well, I have now had to sign an affidavit, under penalty of pergery no less, that I will Never Ever sell them again. They are now reviewing my case. My fingers are crossed that I'll get my account back. I had a great feedback score, I would hate to lose it.

It's in their hands now. So we'll see.

Love ya bunches. See ya later.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

Good morning friends. No time to do replies today but I am going to share my victories last night.

Last night we celebrated my granddaughters 4th birthday. The food was the norm for 4 year olds... PIZZA and CAKE. LOL
Well.. I filled my plate with LOTS of salad... and ate the toppings off of 2 slices of pizza and left the the thick crust. And I TOTALLY passed on the cake. And let me tell you .... it had LOTS OF THICK FROSTING ... my favorite part. LOL Well let me reword that... my "FORMER" favorite part. LOL

Okay ladies... I am on the run.
Oh.. let me say really quick.... Friski.... you can get started exercising while sitting in a chair. I bought several tapes for exercising while sitting. There are many people in wheel chairs, using walkers, balance problems, old, and obese .... that cant do "normal" exercising. But our hearts need to be strenghtened too. You can google to find them. I don't have time today to list them for you. I know Richard Simmons has one. Some I like better than others... but you really do get your heart going and can make are arms and legs and stomach stronger. Also... just walk around your house... when you reach the point you want to sit down... walk the next room before you do. We all have to start someplace... and where you are is a great place to start.

Don't compare yourself to others.... compare yourself to what you did the week before and progress from there.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #7  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

HA! I KNEW I hadn't gained weight! I drank 90+ oz of water over the day yesterday and today the scale said 247.6! (Insert "smug" smilie here...they really need to get that one back!) I am victorious!

Of course, since yesterday was the "official" WI day, I will leave my sliders where they are....But I know the TRUTH!

2Cute: Good NSV! You have achieved moral superiority over cake! Good for you! Pizza, and social occasions in general, are my downfall! I love me some party food!

Thin: SHAME ON YOU! My faith in human nature is shattered! (Didn't you know, it's only illegal if you get caught! But you didn't hear that from me! )

Terri: Some stress relief tips - Aromatherapy, Yoga, Meditation, Vodka! Seriously...the rumor mill is one of the reasons I lock myself in my office and tend to STAY THERE ALL DAY! I'm SO out of the loop! I hope it turns out to be a big rumor and not true at all...hate to think the rats are starting to abandon the ship already! You are to be commended for your NSV over the stress! It's so easy when things get rough to say - WTF - and go out for a big, comforting dinner!

Friskipixie: I agree with 2Cute completely. You need to start slow and do what you can! There is a woman named Catherine on the other thread - she just got married so she's been MIA for a few - but she started out at 599! I remember a post by her where she talked about how she got started...she was practically bedridden...one day she sat up in bed to reach for something and realized she'd just done a sit-up. So she started doing that over and over. She walked. First just inside, then around the house, then around the block! You need to start small and build. Don't worry if you can't do aerobics - if all you can do is walk around your house...do it! Slowly you'll be able to do more! Before you know it, you'll be walking away the pounds!

Ruth: Hope you got a good rest last night and are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed today!

Valerie: You have my sympathies - I hate the cold! Of course, I also hate the heat! I'm a temperate kinda gal...55 to 75 - good temp range for me! I'm hoping I'll be able to take the heat better this summer with some of the weight gone.

Wanted to say, I checked out that mendosa website. Had some interesting materials. I sent it to my diabetic friend...hopefully she'll get inspired to actually start watching her weight!

It appears I have about 5 minutes to my next hearing and the stupid man came in person! We do about 90% of our hearings by telephone conference call - SO much better! But, that's why they pay me the big bucks! HA! (Missouri state employees are the lowest paid IN THE NATION!) Gotta run!

Onward and Downward Ladies!

Last edited by Lilion; 02-09-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Lilion: consider it edited. No one will know but you and me and the computer screens. Well, maybe 2cute, if she read it while she was here.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #9  

Smile

And me, but I am not talking!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #10  

And me but I didnt know what I was looking at anyway so it went right over my head (kidding) didnt see a thing!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

You guys are cracking me up.

And Friski: Is that pixie holding himself??? Must be my dirty mind, but he sure doesn't look inocent!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #12  
determined to lose

I have to confess: I ate a commercial packaged cinnamon roll from walmart last night. I did enough exercise to cover the calories but it is off of SB and I am trying to get back on South Beach Phase 1.

The exercise videos that I do always say to hold in your ab mucles. Do any of you have trouble with that??? I do, I cant breath as deeply and it doesnt feel natural. I guess I have let my belly hang down so long I have to find my abs and retrain them. Seems like it is going to be a battle.

My posture is bad too so I have to fix that up too. This losing weight and getting in shape stuff is not for wussies.

I hope all is well with all of you. About to go out for a birthday dinner to a favorite mexican food place...I will have fish so that is okay.

Pixie - I am 285 (from 305) and I use the Walk Away The Pounds videos by Leslie Sansone. You just do as much as you can and eventually build up to doing the 1 mile in 18 minutes. Walking in front of the tv and doing small moves like side steps and little kicks and such but all you have to do is walk in place until you can work up to the othe stuff. It is very low impact! So you start with 5 minutes and then work up to 10 minutes and so on until you do the whole video. I did 2 miles today with hand weights and yesterday I did a regular 4 mile video. I have heel spurs and a bunion and back problems too but I have been able to do these videos. Maybe one of them would work for you. I know we are all different, but if you get a chair video and are ready to move up from that, I suggest these Walk Away The Pounds. Read the back of them because some of them use weights but most of them do not. lesliesansone.com is her website and you can ask questions there and check out a demo and everything.

I hope you find an exercise program that you can do, definitely walking around the house or the store (even holding onto the cart) is a beginning. I remember when I could not do that when I was 345 and I had to go to physical therapy to be able to walk again for any distance. I had to go to the ER with my back and everything. So I understand where you are coming from. But there is hope, just keep pushing yourself thru baby step by baby step and next thing you know you will be doing great.

You might want to see about getting some water therapy, that is what I had to do when I couldnt walk. It worked wonders!

Take care everyone
Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #13  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

GASPING! - THIN! Tells us where your mind is! I was gonna say to Friski that I loved that little blue guy, but NOW??? Oh heck, he's still really cute!!

Speaking of cute, 2CUTE - Hooray! for the cake domination! Great NSV! I liked that tag line, too!

Thin-thin-Lilion, "I" would show up in person, but then, who would ever think that you could go to "virtual" court or do it by phone?? WHOOP! WHOOP!! on that return to REAL weight! I just knowed that scale was a-lyin'!

Terri, I think it's fantastic how you're dealing with this stressful situation and not bingeing!! Life tests us, but you're Aceing it! *** I just saw an article on a horsewoman who lost 180 pounds and is now riding the horses she used to just watch. I just kept thinking "That's ME! That's ME!!" *** I walked instead of whining! I did my 40 minutes cuz I couldn't bare to not live up to the commitment I made on the exercise thread. I started out dragging myself up the 19 steps there, and by the end I was singing Rocky! Yeah! the little fat girl does the stairs!! A year ago I'd have had to stop and rest on the way up... maybe twice! And I'd have done anything to avoid going up them, rather than climbing them repeatedly faster. To top it off, we got home unexpectedly tonight and I went to Curves with a girlfriend who'd have copped out if I didn't. I am gonna be SO buff... hey, maybe I should change my screen name: GonnaBeBuff?.... nah.

Ruth, Barb, all y'all, have a great OP day. I gotta go clean out my stuff in the basement. I moved it in when we got married 6-7 years ago and there it sits. If we DO get this house, I'll need all that stuff yard saled or something but GONE in any case. Bill is finishing the remodeling in our bathroom (that started 8 years ago) as I type. Kind of needs to be done to sell the place. FINALLY!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #14  
Dancing those pounds away

Another NSV to share. (that stands for Non Scale Victory)
I found a single M&M on my night stand today while cleaning.
Everyone knows... a "single" M&M doesn't count as a cheat. LOL
WELL... I did NOT eat that sucker. At first I just left it alone and finished what I was working on. BUT then when I came back to it... my mind started "justifing" so I fed it to my dog. I know dogs are not suppose to eat chocolate... but better him than me.

I also went out to eat where they serve the BEST homemade Rootbeer.
I have always treated myself to their Rootbeer no matter what food plan I am on. Well tonight... I ordered WATER !!!! I substituted a small side salad for the fries that came with the meal ...and only used half the salad dressing.

Give me a N.... give me a S ... give me a V ...
put them all together and what do you have....
VICTORY !!! VICTORY!!!! VICTORY !!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #15  

Talking

Thinthinker: He does seem to be taking great delight in his 'personal home entertainment centre'. Oh well, after all he is a FRISKPIXIE

Thanks everyone for the tips on the exercise. I will take it one day at a time phew!

I have been doing a little light housework (thats enough of that) and we have two boxer dogs so every other day I try and walk them around the block but it gets a bit crowded in the kitchen and I have to let them outside eventually.

2cute: Talking of puppies. Woodie (the male dog) has taken to eating the garden fence. I was wondering how many calories (strike that) I mean - I wonder why he has taken to doing that but then after a day of crispbreads and tuna I may have some idea why, and what it might actually taste like.

:

Last edited by Friskipixie; 02-10-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Closed Thread