3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300+ And Ready to Try Again...#815 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/74312-300-ready-try-again-815-a.html)

AmmiUK 01-26-2006 07:39 PM

300+ And Ready to Try Again...#815

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!

mechell81 01-26-2006 07:48 PM

Hello everyone...I hope everyone had a good day!

Sorry I have not been able to respond to you guys individually. My computer is running so slow its hard to see who wrote what. But I thank you guys so much for sharing your situations and tips. You guys are an inspiration! On a good note though...I am pretty sure I have lost a good amount of weight..at least 10-20 pounds. My face looks different and my stomach. And my DH out of the blue yesterday say.."babe you have a lost a good bit of weight." So I am anxious for our scale to get here..its on its way with the rest of our stuff that we moved. But strange thing is...none of my clothes fit different. Have any of you had this happen? They say the clothes are the first thing you notice. Well I hope you all have a good night!

michelle

AmmiUK 01-26-2006 08:21 PM

Hi Michelle - I know all too well how you can lose weight but not really see it in your clothes. I lost 22 lbs before Christmas, and although I did get into some smaller undies that I bought months ago, my ordinary clothes still fit like normal. I think not SEEING the results of my dieting is one of the reasons I failed at it and gained all that weight back. But I am back on track now and this time whether I see a loss or not I am sticking on this diet.

I am thrilled that your hubby and even yourself can see a big difference in how you look, forgetting the clothes fitting the same. That must be a huge buzz. I can't wait til your scales arrive and you can find out just what you have lost.

Have a great day,

Hugs,

Ammi :grouphug:

kayleystar 01-26-2006 08:33 PM

Hi Michelle...Weight loss is different for everyone. Usually, you'll see a difference in the clothes AND on the scales, but sometimes, you lose inches before pounds. Congratulations!

princesspuffypants 01-26-2006 09:21 PM

Kayley *hugs* i hope you are doing better

kayleystar 01-26-2006 09:41 PM

Thanks, Luan. I'm feeling a tiny bit better, yet I can't shake the depression.

garnetfairy 01-26-2006 10:01 PM

Michelle - I dont know about you but most of my clothes have elastic wastebands and they were very stretched out at my highest weight. Now that I am losing weight they still fit but they are less stretched out. In fact, they fit better now.

Kayley - I wish there were magical words to type to make you feel better!

For thankful thursday I am thankful for this site and you people, I am thankful I woke up and decided to lose the weight that has been dragging me down for years, I am thankful that you all introduced me to WATP, and I am thankful we have all survived our hardships are surviving any remaining ones and will live longer because we lose weight. We are all beautiful!

kayleystar 01-26-2006 10:13 PM

Hope you ladies have a good night. I'm off to bed to try and shake this feeling.

Night

NotTheCheat 01-26-2006 11:37 PM

Well, I made it through my first workout in a gym! I got there a little early and got a locker, paid for my sessions, etc. I then did 5 minutes on the elliptical and 5 minutes on the treadmill before working with my new trainer. He is in his forties or fifties and seems pretty normal – he is not really pumped up or anything, just into fitness. I think my favorite was working with the exercise ball – those are so cool! My one piece of advice would be to get the larger one (65cm vs 55) and deflate it a bit even if you are short. The larger one definitely fit better from the bum width perspective. :D We also did a bunch of stuff with resistance bands plus generally movement stuff. It wasn’t earth shattering or anything, but I think the most important thing for me was the message to myself that I am worth it – I am making this investment of time and money in myself and this person is here working for me to help me get to my goal. After I finished my half hour session with the trainer I did another 17 minutes on the treadmill – getting to a half mile. The elliptical was pretty tough for me – I will have to work on that one. I am pretty sore now – I hope I didn’t overdo it.

Ammi - I think you posted about it on the exercise thread, but that was very cool you walked instead of taking a taxi. With the money you save on the fares, maybe you could add that to a new wardrobe account of something.

Michelle – For me, I don’t expect to see a huge difference in my clothes because I have never worn clothes that are very fitted. In fact, I have been wearing some of the same clothes for the last 100 lbs (from the point I was about 250 to 350). Of course they fit differently, and somewhere around 300 - 325 I had to move from 3x to 4x for a lot of items. One of the big things I am looking forward to is being able to shop for clothes at Target again. Getting out of the 3x range really sucked. You might want to actually measure yourself – I just got a tape measure recently. I actually had to special order it from a quilters company because most tape measures only go up to 60” and my hips are bigger than that – although hopefully not for long. :)

Christine – That is totally amazing that being of Singulair would cause such a large amount of water retention. It really makes me wonder about all of the things that actually effect that and the rest of our bodies. I am glad you were able to get more.

GarnetFairy – Happy Birthday!!! You made me chuckle with the number of tapes you bought. That is great! You will definitely never be bored.

Honiangel – Never worry about sharing. I am amazed at how strong you are – taking care of your nieces, working and trying to get healthy at the same time. Hopefully you will have some time left to yourself once and awhile to take care of you.

Zelma – you look gorgeous in your pics. Be as vain as you want to be – you have definitely earned it!

Kayley – hope you feel better when you wake up tomorrow. Some days there isn’t much else you can do but let sleep clear your mind.

Luan, Julee, Sarah and anyone else I missed – Hooray on your losses. Hopefully it is my turn tomorrow – my weigh in day is Friday.

garnetfairy 01-27-2006 12:29 AM

Way to go Nancy!! The first day at the gym is always the hardest but having an appointment with a trainer makes you accountable and that helps a lot! I think I am finally over my cough so I can go back to working out too. I bought loads more tapes than the ones I listed I spent about $50 on ebay. Those were just the Leslie Sansone tapes I got. I got some Richard Simmons and Tae Bo and a couple of belly dancing ones and some I never heard of and Kathy Austin (I think). One auction was for a lot of 17 tapes another was for a lot of 6 and on like that. Now to figure out a place to put all of them. ha ha ha

Really proud of you starting at the gym, that is a big step!! The elliptical takes some getting used to. I had to just try to increas minute by minute at first and then 5 minutes by 5 minutes. The club had a TV I could watch and when I did that I could go farther because I was distracted. It really works your heart. Be sure to drink plenty of water, about every 15 minutes or so while you are sweating it out, that is really important! But your trainer will go over all that with you. I'm just so happy for you for taking this step, it is totally cool!

kayleystar 01-27-2006 12:55 AM

Well, Andrew came over, and completely made my mood do a 360. Now I can go to bed in peace.

honiangel 01-27-2006 01:02 AM

sarahdafiregal--I can't be on WW because I can't afford it *shrugs* just the way things are right now.

garnetfairy--Thank you. And yes the youngest is much better now.

christineu--I'm glad to know someone has done the RS program. I'll see what I can find on the diebetic exchanges. Thank you.

Ammi--Anja, my youngest neice, had bronchitis or bronchialitis...they never did tell us which, I just know that when we took her in she couldn't breath. You could see the muscles in her stomach and chest just fighting to take a breath. After spending the night under the oxygen tent the oxygen levels in her blood were only 83, and they never did get to 100 but they went ahead and released her with meds. She had broncialitis last year when she a month old and it damaged her lungs but they had said they were healed now. So I'm glad we got her in the hospital before it could damage them again.

And "Amer" is how she says my name...Amber, it's actually how most children say my name. For some reason the b is hard to say in the middle.

And, yeah...I have no love for my sister-in-law. But that whole story would be another whole thread :) . She pretty much doesn't have time for children in between parties, and the oldest one is only with us because my brother pays daycare and she doesn't have to hire a babysitter. She goes, or has gone, months at a time without seeing either of them. And since the Anja was 3 months old (when she moved in with me) her mother has seen her a total of four times only once for more than 24 hours. grrrrrrrrr...okay hard to type with my claws out so...

ZedAus--Thank you. You look terriffic in the pics btw.

Nancy--Thank you, and I try to time for myself...doesn't always work out :) but I do try.

Okay it's late and I have to try to get my 2 miles in today. There was an emergency room trip tonight so I didn't get home until just a bit ago so no 4 miles today. But I should, should still be over my goal by the end of the week. And the emergency room trip was my uncle,but my father wanted me to go to be there for my aunt and cousins. We are a pretty close family, and they had found my uncle unresponsive at home and had to call an ambulance to take him in to the hospital. When he got to the hospital, he was talking and awake, but they say he isn't getting enough oxygen so they are doing a battery of tests. The theory was that his being unresponsive was an insulin reaction mixing with his prescribed medication for an URI. I don't know if that will be the final verdict, but that was the initial theory. So if you can just say a prayer or cross your fingers for him. Thank you.

I hope that everyone has an absolutely wonderful day tomorrow.

princesspuffypants 01-27-2006 03:28 AM

nancy - you are in my thoughts! good luck on your weigh in tomorrow!! and congrats on getting to the gym and getting a trainer.

Kayley - im glad you are better!

i just got back from 2 hours at the gym. the more i go, the more i like it. i dont have a trainer, but i do at least 30 min on the treadmill, 15 min on the elliptical, and do the circut - its the machines that 24 hour fitness has chosen that work the most muscle groups. you are supposed to do 2 min on each machine, but i do about 50 reps. 2 min just doesnt seem like it would do much. i also do the abductor machines that work your inner and outer thigh. well. its time to hit the showers and watch Monsters Inc that i recorded. horray for DVR :)

Night all. Stay Losers!!

NoLifeWithoutHorses 01-27-2006 04:41 AM

Hi Ladies! As usually I'm popping in while I can - From L.A. this time.... Lower Alabama, that is. :D

Michelle, I know what you mean about the fit of your clothes not changing at first. I had to lose about 35 pounds before I could start fitting in one size smaller, but the toning and exercise I'm doing now seem to make a bigger difference. This size is getting loose already. DH keeps saying "Isn't that the pair of pants you said were tight? They're baggy!" He must want something to keep talking that way... and he just might get it. :o

Kayley, so glad to see that Andrew cheered you up. I hope the sun shines on you today, and when you take a really deep breath, that you can feel how good it is just to be alive! :hug:

Princess, WTG :carrot: on all that time at the gym! I just hope you can walk tomorrow!! ... I LOVE Monsters Inc - My girlfriend even got me the blue monster that talks. I just love the way he goes "Grrrrrr....:s: How was that?" It sounds a little, um, dirty... in a really cute way of course. Cracks me up! :rofl:

Honiangel, Your SIL sound even worse than my DH's ex. He got custody because she was so lousy, and she never did anything for my step-daughter until I came along. Then she got so jealous she's played the girl ever since. Sadly I think the child is turning out JUST like her. I wish I'd been there for my SD lots sooner. I'm so glad your 2 angels have you, so they have love in their lives. Babies need kisses!

Hi Garnetfairy, Good deal on all the tapes. :dancer: I've never tried an elliptical yet, but it sounds like a real workout! Glad your cough is about gone!

NotTheCheat, WOW! Sounds like an incredible workout. I go to Curves BECAUSE there aren't men, but the one I go to is owned my a man & wife. Mike is the one who's always there when I go, and if you'd told me before that I'd actually let a MAN coach me on the machines & stretches, come near me with a measuring tape, and look at the scale every month, I'd have told you that you were flat out crazy! But Mike is a fantastic coach and cheerleader. It was a little embarrassing the day he asked why I was holding my arms like I was, and I told him :o to keep my hooters from flopping cuz it hurt, but other than that he's cool.

Ammi, please add my :cp: :cheer: on walking instead of taking a cab! That's the sort of thing that changes your life!

I still have bunches of catching up to do with prior posts. Please forgive me for missing so many of you. We've been hustling around the continent & I've been pretty good with both diet and exercise, although I'm sure I could be better on both. Tomorrow we head from Southern Alabama over to Columbus, Georgia, then on up to Hartford, Connecticut on Saturday, and hopefully home in Ohio by Sat. night, or Sunday morning. I'm dying to get home, head for the barn & see my boys. I'm actually kind of looking forward to weigh in next week, too. I wish I'd done a little better, but I'm headed the right way. Just because it's not coming off as fast as I'd like (does it ever?) doesn't mean I'm not changing my life for the better every day, and making my WOL more permanant every day.

And Zelma, I haven't seen those pics everyone's talking about yet, but I'll find 'em. One of your posts just hit home a bit ago, too: The hardest part of exercising is getting started sometimes. So, inspired by that, I'm going to go walk around my truck. Just once. But I know that that one trip will turn into many more & then I can be proud of myself... instead of sitting here on the 'puter with dumb excuses like :cry: "it's cold outside" (it's 43, which is 40 degrees higher than I was in 3 days ago) or :stress: "It's 3:30 in the morning" (I have to stay up & on duty anyway, AND it's safe here... I think there are armed guards just over yonder... in the dark:eek: ) or the ever popular "I don't Feeeeeel like it!":mad: Sissy talk! I'm outa here.

Tashabella 01-27-2006 08:48 AM

Garnet and Julee ~ I’m sorry for what happened to you. My sister was raped by her boyfriend and then she stayed with him for like a year or two and they got engaged (we didn’t find out about it until several years after they broke up and it was through a friend of his ~ she has never spoken about it).

I think the whole thing really screwed up her head because she’s been in abusive relationships ever since and definitely does not see when someone is treating her in a way they shouldn’t. I also had friends who went through that. To me, it seems to do serious damage that follows the women the rest of their life (whether they are aware of it or not). I wish my sister would get some help for it, but she’s become an expert at denial in every area of her life (even turning her back while people have abused her children). It’s affects everyone down the line.

I don’t pity either of you. It makes me angry and I feel sad because I know how deep it cuts. No one has a right to do that to you. I think the look you are describing might be the “that could have been me” look. As women, we all know we are equally vulnerable.

Christine ~ I have been to a dietician. They give you the standard nutrition information, but don’t do anything when it doesn’t work (again, they think you’re not following the plan they gave you/that you’re eating stuff and not telling them ~ it’s even more stressful for someone to insinuate that you are lying).

I’ve been doing some research and found that low GI diets are good for people with PCOS. I went to the bookstore and got some books last night and I’m going to start that tomorrow. (For anyone who is interested, I did do the Insulin-Resistance Diet for like a year and it didn’t work for me either. It also is recommended for people with PCOS and you balance carbs with proteins, etc.)

All I can do is keep trying until I find the thing that sticks. So that’s what I’m doing. It just gets frustrating though. Sometimes it is depressing for me to come here and see where people say they lost several pounds without trying. There’s no way on this planet that I will ever be able to say that. But you guys also give me hope so I keep coming back. I am doing the things that count and I am committed to trying to prevent the heart disease so that’s enough for me. I can’t do any more than that.

Mazarin 01-27-2006 08:50 AM

Hello everyone, I've not been around much, been studying, working, cleaning, sleeping, studying! bla bla bla....

My weight, well no loss this week, but 15lbs down since the new year, I gained a 1lb this week!

I need to try harder! I am or have been not eating that well this week... I need something to motivate me to get back on my tracks

ZedAus 01-27-2006 09:15 AM

Hi Everyone!

First of all I want to point out the link to my picture page that I’ve added below my tracker. I have added some pictures, including some ‘before’ pics. I know that I always like seeing before and after pics, so thought some of you may be interested, although I have posted one of them before. It is funny that people always ask whether I have ‘before’ pics and they find it interesting when I tell them that when you get to be as big as I did, you do NOT like people taking photos of you. So I don’t actually have many clear pics of me. I’ve had to crop them out of other pics.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It made my head swell even more! Just what I needed.:D

Michelle – When I was bigger (300 to 350lbs) I didn’t really notice that great a difference in my clothes fitting when I lost weight. Things started to show a LOT more as I got closer to 200lbs. I get a lot more comments now, when people haven’t seen me for just a few months. Things start toning up I think. I actually found a WAIST towards the end of last year. That was a novelty as I don’t think I’ve ever had a waist. Too skinny as a kid and too big as an adult. Don’t worry if the clothes aren’t loose now. It WILL happen. It is lovely of your DH to comment about it.

Kayley – I was SO happy to read that Andrew came over and you felt so much better. It is great to have a ‘tonic’ like that. I'm sorry that you had another bad day after that though. My period returned with the weight loss, once I went off the contraceptive needle. Not much fun huh? I hope things settle for you soon.

Nancy – Well done on your gym visit! I am most impressed! It sounds as though you got a really good workout. You will have to let us know if you find some aching muscles you never knew existed tomorrow.

Amber – I will keep your uncle in my thoughts and I hope to hear positive news on his progress soon. I dread ever getting calls about loved ones being seriously sick. I don’t handle things like that well at all. It sounds as though you are the strong one in your family. They are lucky to have you. Well done on getting some exercise in even after all of that!

Valerie – It I so great that you still manage to live a healthy lifestyle even when you are away from home. Many people use that as an excuse to fall off the wagon, so well done! I hope that you have positive readings from the weigh in when you get home, but at least you feel so much better about your new lifestyle, so that should count for something. I’m glad that something I said triggered an ‘exercise’ thought for you. I used to be the queen of excuses for not exercising and now I just get off my butt and get moving because I know it has to be done, no ‘ifs’ or ‘buts’. I’ve heard so many times that you need to find an exercise you enjoy. HAH! I’m not sure I’ll ever ‘enjoy’ exercising, but I don’t mind the treadmill and the exercise bike, so I’ll just be happy about that. How many laps of the truck are you up to now?

Ammi - Sorry, but I just had to have a chuckle at your 'cabbage' moment. That REALLY sounds like something I would do. I write so many things down and then forget to look at the notes anyway, so I'm not sure why I bother. At least you got a good walk in and could see the positive side of things.

We didn't do anything thrilling for Australia Day. Hubby and I went to the zoo and gave our visitors some quiet time as they were due to fly out very late that evening. We never go to the fireworks in the city because we are not keen on crowds and couldn't be bothered driving home through all the other traffic. I would love to be able to get a hotel room overlooking the river one Australia Day, so we can watch the fireworks from the peace of the room. I think you have to book WAY ahead for that though. Did you make the pavlova? I don't actually think that they are too bad for you - well, the meringue part anyway - as my dietician friend has said I can have a meringue if I want one. Mind you, all that added cream could make them a little dangerous.

Tasha - You are the only other person I have heard say that they were a skinny kid and started gaining weight when they started menstruating. That is exactly what happened to me. I've never checked whether I have PCOS, but perhaps I should. Just thought it was interesting - I don't know what effect hormones have on weight exactly, but I'm sure it's something.

Lilion - I have to ask - because I am SO nosey! - what exactly do you do with the law? Are you a lawyer, judge? Hope you don't mind me asking. You've probably said it a hundred times, but I don't think I've caught it. Not that this should surprise anyone.

Heather - I don't have children, but I hope you can find a way to help your daughter without alienating her. I know when my mother kept offering me 'diet' ideas I just resented her. Mind you, I was an adult and SHE was overweight, so I kind of figured that this was the pot calling the kettle black, as they say. I can only suggest that you lead by example, which is what it seems you are already doing. Hopefully some of your good habits will eventually rub off and she will soon see the benefits. Oh... I don't suppose giving her father a good kick in the pants would help huh? Good luck!

Felicia - I LOVE how positive you are! Keep it up!

Christine - It is wonderful to see you enjoying your exercising so much. I may have to go and look for some Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I hear so much about them, so want to give them a go for a little variety.

Garnetfairy - Thank you for the comment. I still need to lose some weight to get to a 'healthy' weight, which has always been my goal. Not far to go though. I am still 170lbs, which surprises a lot of people when they hear that. I must hide it well.

Sarah - Congrats on the weight loss! I have heard that it is OK to eat at an Italian restaurant as long as you stick to lots of vegies and tomato-based sauces, not creamy ones. Hope that helps. Oh... and you probably should pass on any breads, especially the garlic bread.
If I’ve missed anyone, please forgive me. I may have missed some posts as we had a VERY late night taking our visitors to the airport around midnight. I’m NOT a night person, so I’m not exactly functioning on all cylinders at the moment.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and find many things to be thankful for.

Take care,

Zelma

going to lose 200 01-27-2006 09:38 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

I don't have much time. We found out last night that hubby's grandfather passed away and he lives 4 hours away. We havent decided whether or not we are going to go to the funeral or not. I am not pushing him and it is totally his decision. Personally I think he should go but he hasn't seen him in 3 years now (at his 80th birthday party)and maybe it is best to remember him like he was on that day.

I do want to share a victory with you all. Although the scales seem to be broken (jk) or at the best... stuck, I actually have good news! I went shopping for a posture bra ( ugly!) last night on the advice of my physiotherapist. Well, I didn't find one there that fit but I walked by the most beautiful top! Steve's sister is getting married in July and it was quite sheer and airy which I knew would be perfect. So I grab the normal 5x and go try it on... way too big... I asked the lady to get me the 4x. Figured I would buy the 3x and MAKE sure it fit in July. Well guess what.... I had to buy the 2x! and it FIT! Mind you, it will fit a lot better by the time the wedding gets here but it FIT! *L*:D

Stayed home from the pool to comfort hubby last night. And my shoulder has been moocho sore! I did order a new bra online last night and is to be delivered next week. Crossing my fingers that it works! I want to be able to buy a universal gym!

Sorry I don't have time for indiv responses. Hubby is out of the shower now and on his way downstairs!

Have a great losing day!
Brenda :wave:

Sheri~C 01-27-2006 11:03 AM

Zelma,

I loved looking at your pictures this morning, you are just lovely! I keep looking in the mirror and wondering what I am going to look like once I lose as much as you have. It is strange to not have any idea what kind of body I have! I don't know what to expect, it is a bit like unwrapping a package and finding another wrapped package inside that one and so on.

Brenda: Sorry about your GFIL passing away, I lost my Grandmother in September and I hadn't seen her in a couple of years. It was hard to say goodbye. Wonderful that you are getting into 2X I am looking forward to that too, or better yet just out of the x's altogether! Let me know about the bra, I have been trying to find a good one, I am getting so tired of the way they roll up at the back, I imagine a lot of us have this problem.

Has anyone else found a good supportive bra that doesn't roll up?

Have a great day everyone, I am off to walk the dog and then get to the gym for my circuit training, I will think of you all as I sweat more of these pounds off!

sarahdafiregal 01-27-2006 11:03 AM

Good Morning and Happy Friday Everyone! Here's to another great week gone by and to another week coming up. You are all awesome in my books!:hug:

Brenda – Please accept my condolences to your DH and his family on the death of his Grandfather. I know words won’t ease the pain but know that I am here for you and thinking and praying for you too. On a happier note hurrah :cheer: on the victory of getting a 2x shirt. How wonderful that made you feel. Who knows, when you try in on in July you’ll have to get a 1x!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Zelma – You’re pictures are so amazing! You have come a long way and you deserve all the happiness life has to offer. You are beautiful and your pictures show it.

Valerie – Oh Boy! I have the same problem you do with exercise excuses. It’s too cold out. It’s too dark out. It’s too cold in the basement. My knees hurt. I’m tired (I tend to use that one way too much!). We’ll have to start thinking of excuses to exercise. I feel better afterwards. It’ll get easier with time. I’ll get fit and lose weight quicker. We can do it girl!:tread:

Luan – You deserve a pat on the back for going to the gym for two hours! I am still too embarrassed of my body to go to a place like that for a minute let alone two hours. You are awesome girl!

Honiangel – I understand about the money issue and WW. I will also keep your Uncle in my prayers. Keep your chin up. You’re awesome!

Nancy – That is so cool that your trainer isn’t a buff sort of guy. Whenever I think of personal trainers I think of the buff guys who are over tanned and covered in oil who like to watch themselves workout in mirrors. :lol3: Glad you got a guy who seems normal and just loves fitness. I’m anxious to hear how your weigh in went. Let us know!!

As for me, I threw the idea to DH about making me a birthday meal out of a WW book. He had a look of horror on his face. :fr: Actually, money is tight right now and I know he’d choose something elaborate for me. So he suggested that we go to Applebee’s so I can stick to my program and still have something good to eat. The last time we went my meal was disgusting and our waitress was less than pleasant. I complained and ended up getting a coupon for a free entrée and a non-alcoholic drink (OK with me since my DH is in recovery). So that’s where we’re going tomorrow. I might save points to try the WW cheesecake. MMMM!

Hope everyone has a fun filled weekend.

Hugs to you all!:grouphug:

Tashabella 01-27-2006 11:45 AM

Zelma ~ My doctor who diagnosed the PCOS told me the hormone imbalance causes the weight gain and having the excess weight keeps the hormones imbalanced (it's a continuous cycle). He basically told me to "deal with it" (but he was an old-school guy so I'm going to keep searching for answers, and that was 11 years ago ~ things change in the medical community every day).

Fat cells are full of estrogen, by the way, so they add estrogen to the amount your body naturally carries, which can keep your hormones and your periods all out of whack (even for those who don't have PCOS).

I read the other day that most people who have PCOS are overweight, however the few that are not have to fight to keep from gaining (and work very, very hard at it). Doctors and scientists have not been able to determine why some people with PCOS can stay at a normal weight (something like 10 percent or less) and the others cannot (all the rest). (I hope they will figure it out soon! LOL)

To answer your question ~ yes, hormones can have a profound effect on your weight.

Brenda ~ I am so happy for you with that 2X shirt! Way to go!!! :carrot:

JuleeCeeS 01-27-2006 12:03 PM

Kayley: I have been in the Pill since I was 17 (and I am 32 now) and when I strated to lose weight my period started doing all sorts of weird things...namely showing up early with a vengeance. Your body is experiencing some hormonal fluctuations and losing weight can really kick them off. Be patient but look at it as a sign that you're doing something good. Obviously if you keep having problems, see your doctor..but keep going!!

Luan: Your candy bar analogy is something we talk about in WW all the time. You figure that if you've already made a little slip up then why not go whole hog and just blow everything. We tell ourselves that it has to be perfection or nothing and we are so quick to call ourselves failures. it's like someone who on a Tuesday knows that she will be doing a lot of eating over the weekend and decides to kick off the weekend on Wednesday. Being able to identify it as a pattern is a great first step but it's something we have to be so careful of.

Ammi: I actually don't see a shrink. Jason and I keep talking about going to therapy (individual not couples) but it hasn't happened yet. I was worried at one point because a long time ago he said that he couldn't move forward with our relationship in terms of engagement, moving in together or marriage until he had started therapy. Time went by and he was no closer to therapy than he was the first time he mentioned it...but he got past it. he still wants to go but thank goodness he got past it.

Nancy: I was always a Target shopper...on the Plus sized side. Now I am able to buy everything on the women's/junior's side which is so exciting and saves money as well. I love having the larger selection of clothing and saving $3-$4 per item for something comparable from the other side.

I think that's all for now. I have an appointment with a florist at 10am and errands to run all day and a dinner to go to with my HS youth group kids tonight. It's at someone's house and I know they are serving pasta...so I have to be sure to run past Whole Foods and get myself a nice piece of salmon. Thankfully it's also a potluck and there are lots of people bringing salads and fruit..so I will be in good shape. Fortunately also I do not like alfredo sauce...it upsets my tummy.

Happy Friday!!!

kayleystar 01-27-2006 12:04 PM

NotTheCheat - Good job getting to that gym! I'm glad your trainer isn't all pompous and whatnot.

Luan - You too, on hitting the gym! DVR rocks...hehe...I'm saving up for an external burner for my computer, since I download lots of things from LimeWire...uh oh! :o

Valerie - So glad to see you post!:hug: It's great how you keep up with your diet and exercise while on the road all the time. You're very committed. It's great when your hubby/the one you love can tell you've lost, as they see you everyday, and don't notice as quickly as someone that hasn't seen you in a couple of months! You're doing great!

Zelma - Your pics look fabulous! Such a change! And I think you look GREAT in the stripes! I stay away from them for REASON! lol...Haha...yeah, I'm not really enjoying the period now...I never minded not having one, even though I knew it wasn't good for my health...and because I only got one once or twice a year, it was EXTREMELY heavy...like insanely...which is NO FUN!

Brenda - Sorry to hear about your loss :( Luckily, you are there for your hubby. :hug: That's fantastic about getting into the 2x!!!! I can get into 2X as long as it's a cotton t-shirt (men's). Women's shirts are always smaller...and they cut them so SHORT. I don't WANT my pudge showing, thanks very much! lol

Sheri - Good luck at the gym! PUMP IT! :D

Sara - Haha about your DH...that's about how Andrew (my b/f) would react...or he'd say, "as long as I can cook it in the microwave". I finally, after over a year of dating, got him to COOK ON THE STOVE! He can now cook eggs...lol.

Well, I'm going to be going to get my paycheck, and do a little bit of shopping today with a friend I haven't seen in a month. She saw me when I lost my first 5 pounds, but she has no idea that I've lost another 25 since then! :) Then, later on, Andrew and I are going to go to Meijer, and get the "dance away the inches" dvd. Won't start using it until TOM goes away...but I wanna have it for when it's done! My mom got fired from her job last week...which was completely RIDICULOUS. She's been out since July due to colon cancer, and has been having chemotherapy treatment up until last week. She was planning on going back to work within the next couple of weeks, once her doctor gave her the ok. But they said that she didn't have proper documentation saying that she was getting treatment! HELLO...the INSURANCE HAS BEEN PAYING FOR IT ALL ALONG! She's going to talk to her Union President today, so I'm hoping they say that they messed up, and let her keep the job! Cuz it would be completely WRONG if they fired her for getting cancer. And she could sue. Although, she probably wouldn't *sigh*. I'm in a really good mood today! I downloaded a bunch of dancey music, and have been dancing away (when no one's looking of course!) I went to the school's library the other night, and they had a book all about bellydancing, and how to...maybe when I drop another 60 pounds or so, I'll try it. That'd be fun! And good toning of the stomach muscles! Well, I hope you all have a great day! I'm OUT! :)

kayleystar 01-27-2006 12:16 PM

Tashabella - When I went to the gyno for the first time, about 8 months ago, when I told her I didn't get periods, she automatically just told me that I had PCOS, and didn't do any tests or anything! She just put me on pills, that were for women going through menopause! Talk about ridiculous! I'm 19 years old! Oi.

Julee - I'm definately not giving up this time! I refuse to be fat for the rest of my life! I'm at the perfect time in my life to lose it, before I get any medical problems. Hope you have a nice dinner...glad you are going to be able to stay on plan! :)

Tashabella 01-27-2006 12:43 PM

Kayley ~ It usually takes years for an accurate diagnosis (I presented with symptoms 13 years before they diagnosed mine). My doctor did a vaginal ultrasound when I was 26 and could see the cysts rupturing (that were causing me pain). It was a miracle that it was happening at just the right time so he could see it. Most people don't get that lucky.

Maybe your doctor is really good and has good experience to know what she's talking about. But who knows? Next time you go, ask her what expertise she has on PCOS. She might surprise you.

I'd be a little skeptical too. It's like how they label everyone with some pain as having fibromyalgia or kids that are overly active as having ADHD. Sometimes they like to put quick and easy labels on things.

I will say to you though that I also was on those hormones (the kind for menopause) at about the same age. She could be right. Get a second opinion if you don't believe her.

Frankly, at your age, I wouldn't worry if I didn't have a period (unless you're trying to get pregnant or something). That's not a bad thing (as long as they have done the appropriate tests to determine that nothing else is wrong). (You may require more hormones if you get your period and it doesn't stop, however.) Try to learn as much about it as you can so you will know more than they do!

kayleystar 01-27-2006 12:54 PM

It was really messed up. I didn't actually SEE the gyno. It was her assistant, and I never actually met the gyno that the office was for, nor ever talked to her. That doctor or assistant...whatever, was on my step-dad's insurance, which ran out in Dec. 2005, since I'll be 20 this year. So as of right now, I don't have any doctors of any kind. I was going to go and get on birth control, and just regulate it myself, but if it keeps coming on it's own, then probably not, even though Andrew wants me to get on it, to be extra safe, I guess. Although, I don't wanna gain the weight that usually comes with birth control. Not when I'm doing so good. I think that's another reason that I'm waiting for the depression medication. Although, at the momen, no insurance...yeah, that'll be my excuse. I'm hoping that the more weight I lose, the less depression I will have. So I'm going to wait it out for a little bit. And I'm definately not trying to get pregnant! lol...Andrew and I both don't want children.

voodoo1 01-27-2006 12:55 PM

Just a quickie, Kayley, glad you are not feeling down anymore, do you think it was to do with TOM, I ALWAYS get down or ratty a day or two before it starts. Good for you dancing, mucic always lifts your spirits, even marilyn manson cheers me up when I put a cd of his on!!!! I bet your friend is going to go crazy when she sees you, it will make your day, I bet.
Brenda, well done with the top, you will wow them at the wedding!!! Sorry for your hubby's loss.
Garnet and Nancy, good for you both exercising, wish I could get a trainer and child care, too expensive, but like you, Garnet, I get the vids and dvds out to exercise to.
Gotta go, the boy's dinner is done,
xxsharon

Lilion 01-27-2006 01:23 PM

Hey Chicks!

Well, I tried to read everyone's posts and thought I might make some responses, but I doubt I'll get more than one or two out. Forgive me! :^:

I was very OP yesterday, I think. I had a Pampered Chef party last night and they made the most wonderful soup! It was called chicken vegetable alfredo soup. I think it wasn't too terribly fattinging. I only had a small bowl. I'll post the recipe in the recipe section if anyone wants. I'm off tonight to buy lowfat alfredo sauce so I can make it myself! They also had the usual incredibly fattening cake - but I only had a tiny piece of it. I cut it and then looked at it and thought, "that's not enough" but I went ahead and put it on my plate and didn't get any more. I was proud of me! I asked the consultant if she knew of any lowfat recipes for the stoneware bundt pan because I've been on WW so long...She proceeded to show me one of their cookbooks and when I looked I saw she had the point values written in at the bottom of all of the recipes! Turned out she was on WW for a while herself! So, I bought the cookbook, of course. The recipes looked really simple and yummy!

I had 7.5 pts left when I went to the party, so I think I was okay. I had beef stirfry for dinner with egg rolls. I have to tell you about these eggrolls - they are Van's Eggrolls and they sell them at Wal-Mart. The also have a website if you do a search you'll find it. They are really, really good and lowfat if you bake them to heat them. They run like 2 WW points each for full-sized eggrolls.

Zelma: I am an attorney, but I work as an administrative hearing officer for a division of the Dept. of Social Services. Basically, if the Division does or tries to do something and one of the people affected asks for a hearing, I am the Judge for that hearing.

That being said...please, no one ask me for legal advice! I've done this so long it's the only field I have any knowledge remaining in and the law differs so much from state to state I'd do more harm than good! :)

Brenda: My sympathies to your DH and family. I did want to say, Great NSV though! It's exciting to move down a size (or 3!)

kayleystar: I just wanted to say, in my Medieval group there are a number of women at or close to our size that bellydance. Scary. But I do applaud them for getting out there!

I feel really, really good about my weight loss today. I actually came out and told two men in my office that now that I've lost 79 lbs I really feel like I can lose the rest and actually weigh what "the charts" say I should weigh....(One commented I was just going to disapear - a bit of an exageration, but I said I liked that idea. I'd get a paycheck and no one would bother me because they wouldn't notice I was here.)... I've never, ever been a "normal" weight. I would have to get to 170, which is another 80 pounds, but I'm 1/2 way there and, although I know it will get more difficult, I think I can keep losing. I truely feel like this is it - I won't gain back this time. :) I just feel really positive today!

AmmiUK 01-27-2006 01:50 PM

Hello All,

I am late posting today. I have loads of posts to catch up on, but first let me tell you that I chose to walk to the dentist again today, so yay, another 30 minutes to add to the exercise thread :carrot: Going to the dentist although on the right day was a waste of time though. I was supposed to have an impression done for a cap that I am having made for a broken tooth. I haven't been having any pain from it, and the filling in it is rock solid. So my dentist decided I needn't have anything done at all, and to wait til the filling falls out!! So there you go, not a case of prevention is better than a cure, it's a case of do the job when it absolutely can't wait any longer. Anyway.............

Kayley - I am glad to hear that a visit from Andrew made you feel much better before going to sleep. Had you had a falling out with him or something? I find on days when depression is really getting me down I just sleep sleep sleep. I wake to eat, and then I sleep again. Having had depression for 4 years it's no wonder I have got as big as I am. No exercise and just waking to eat. Anyway I am glad you are feeling much better today and that you are having fun with all the dancing :hug:

I was sorry to hear about your mum, and I hope the union rep can sort it out. How on earth can her employers say she hasn't got proper documentation about the treatment she has been having when like you say, the insurance people have been paying for it all along and that will all be documented!! It's crazy. I am sorry that your mum had colon cancer, and I hope the treatment has done it's job. Did she have to have a temporary colostomy? I know a few people who had them because of bowel cancer and are happy to be rid of them. I didn't have bowel cancer, I just had Ulcerative Colitis and yet my ostomy is permanent. Funny how things work out. I do hope your mum will keep her job and be enjoying good health again soon.

Garnetfairy - I loved reading all that you are thankful for. I feel much the same about everything you said, this site and the people on it are amazing.

Were you well enough to work out today, I read in your post to Nancy that your cough has gone, so that's great news. I had a cold in November which turned into a cough and it took until a week or two ago for me to shift it totally.

Nancy - I was happy to hear that your first session in the gym with your personal trainer was such a success. Sounds to me like you have a really great trainer and that you are going to enjoy working off those lbs. Enjoying the exercise you choose is I think a vital part of actually being motivated to do it. How often will you work out?

Oh yes you are very right, I could put the money I save on taxis towards something for me. What a good idea. Something in a smaller size. I am really desperate for a new bathrobe, and although I can find some in my size I would much rather buy one when I can get a one size fits all one that will actually fit me lol. So there you go, my walking incentive is a nice new bathrobe :D

Amber - what a beautiful name, is it short for Amberly? Daren has another daughter called Amberly. She lives with her mum and her mum has moved away and not given us any contact details because she doesn't want to see Caleigh who is living with us, and in turn doesn't want Daren seeing Amberly. It's a sad affair isn't it when kids get so involved or hurt by parents splitting up.

How is your Uncle, is he still in hospital. I should imagine you are fed up of seeing those hospital walls. First with Anja, and now with your Uncle. I am so sorry that Anja was so unwell, it must have been so terrible watching her struggle for breath. I am glad she recovered fairly quickly though and can be at home where it's always the best place to get over an illness. I hope your Uncle will be home soon too.

Do you know anybody who does WW there. Or could you sign up for ONE of their classes? If you go to one class you can get all the info you need about how many points you can have etc, and get the points calculator, or just get the freebie card calculator, and with that in your hot little hand you could do the WW diet. That's what I do. I went to WW years ago, got the info, went to a couple of classes and then stopped. But every time I diet I use all the stuff I had before. It's worth paying for just that one class to find out all you need to know. I think you could even order some stuff from Ebay like the points calculator, works out much cheaper. If you really would like to WW it's worth looking into. I find it's the best diet for me, I just need to stick to it long term :D

Luan - did you enjoy watching Monsters Inc? I love that film, and like Valerie, I too have a blue monster that talks. Daren bought him for me as a present when I got out of hospital in 2002. I love what he says too, he's adorable.

Sounds like you are really getting a good work out in the gym. I think I will definitely have to join one sooner rather than later. There is a council one run that I could join for $20 a month because I am on a low income. I think I will set the wheels in motion and get the application forms. Daren could join too $40 a month is much less than the private gym was going to cost us!

Valerie - great to see your post and to hear you are doing well. I think you are amazing even attempting to stay on track with your diet and exercise when you are on your travels, so I say :bravo: to you for doing as well as you are.

Thanks for the :cheer: for me walking instead of taking a taxi. I did used to walk a lot before I had my Ulcerative Colitis. Then I had to be within seconds of a toilet or there would be accidents, so even going out was kept to an absolute minimum, and no way could I walk anywhere. I am glad to be able to walk places again now, and am going to make a point of doing it more often.

Tasha - I hope that the new GI diet you have found will work for you. I think you are doing the best job you can in trying different diets and hoping one will work for you. I mean if the docs or a nutritionist aren't going to do anything to help you, it has to fall onto your own shoulders to work something out for yourself. I am not a fast loser when it comes to losing the lbs, so I know that it can be a little disheartening when you can lose 4 lbs in a month and others lose that in a week. We all lose weight at different speeds, and I think we just need to focus on the fact that no matter how slowly it is coming off, or even if it stays the same, it's much better than gaining.

I was sorry to read about your sister. I can understand how frustrating it must be to see her going from one abusive relationship to another. Let's hope that one day a decent man will come along and sweep her off her feet. He can show her what a real loving relationship is meant to be like.

Alison - nice to see you posting, and I think you are doing brilliantly losing 15 lbs already this month. I am sorry that you are a bit lacking in motivation. All I can say is to keep looking forward, keep picturing yourself doing all that you can't do because of your size, and hopefully that, and reading all the inspirational posts here will help you to find the motivation again.

Zelma - WOW, I knew you looked pretty darn good in the most recent photos, but it's like you are looking at a different person when you look at the before and after pictures. I showed them to my hubby, and he said, that's not the same lady is it. I bet people walk past you on the street now and have no idea it's you. You have done such a wonderful job to lose so much weight, you amaze and inspire me :cheer:

You said that Tasha is the only other person you know who was skinny until they got their period, well you can add me to that list. I was stick thin, then the onset of puberty came and so did the fat and the stretch marks. Oh and the pimples!! I never had trouble conceiving though, so I guess that means I wouldn't have PCOS.

I am glad you at least had a day out on Australia Day, funnily enough I never really celebrated it when I was there, but I think more of it now that I am here. No I didn't make the Pav, I was going to do it on the weekend, but I think I will resist. I know I wouldn't be able to stop at one piece, so I will wait until an occasion when I will let myself have a bit of an indulgence. I know the meringue is very low fat, half a point per shell, but a pav, ah well that's a whole different ball game :lol:

I am glad you had a chuckle at my cabbage moment, I can laugh about it now too. And the receptionist didn't even mention it today when I was there, so that's good. I have two diaries and I can even get times and dates mixed up between writing in the one upstairs and then the one downstairs :dizzy:

Brenda - my condolonces to your hubby and yourself on the loss of his grandad. I know he was a good age, but it's never easy to lose a loved one no matter how old. My ex's granny died at 98 years old and he was as heart broken then as he would have been had she been 58. I hope if your hubby does decide he wants to go to the funeral that it isn't too awful. I hate funerals. I just hope I 'go' before Daren, I don't think I could face that :(

Onto a lighter note. :bravo: :cheer: :carrot: :cheers: that is an absolutely fantastic NSV. Imagine thinking you would need that new top in a 5x only to have to buy it in a 2x and have it fit. I bet you felt like dancing around the dressing room. Well done :hug:

I am sorry that you couldn't get the bra you wanted though, and I hope the one you ordered from the Internet will be just as good.

Sheri - brilliant question about the bra. If anybody answers and can say where to get a good support one without the thing rolling up at the back, then I want to order 10. Preferably without an underwire, they kill. I get bras from my local 'big' ladies store, but I have never found one that is comfortable.

I hope your walk with the dog was a good one and that your circuit training went well. I definitely need to join a gym :D

Sarah - sounds like you will still have a great night and not too expensive either with the free starter and non alcoholic drink. I hope you get better service and nicer food than the last time though, and that you will try some of the WW cheesecake. Will you buy one or make one from scratch?

Julee - oh sorry, don't know how I misunderstood about you seeing a shrink. Not that there is any stigma attached to it these days. In fact if you haven't seen one, aren't seeing one, or wouldn't like to see one you are the odd one out these days lol. I am so glad that Jason didn't decide to hold out on getting engaged until he saw a therapist, and he better not go backing out of it now. All of us here will be after him lol and what a site that would be :lol: Seriously I am so happy things are working out for you both with or without a therapist.

What flowers do you think you will have in your bouquet and in the church, did you get any ideas at the florists today?

Lilion - :cheer: well done on making some great food choices at the party, you have much more willpower than me. I would have been tucking into anything and just calling it my treat day. You did so well, I am proud of you.

It's lovely that you are feeling really good about your weight loss today, and so you should. You have worked hard to get to the size you are now, and I am sure you will get the rest off too. You will be just like Zemla, nobody will recognise you. Keep up the excellent work and keep that feeling of pride, you earned it :hug:

Well I do believe I have caught up now, hi to Lori, Wyllen, Jill, Shadie, all the Brendas, Katie, kAtie, Felicia and anybody else I have missed. Hope you are all doing well and have a great weekend. Bye for now,

Hugs,

jillybean720 01-27-2006 02:25 PM

Hi everyone! I'm having a really hard time keeping up with the threads when I don't log on every single day--and the fact that we jump to a new thread every 30-or-so posts makes it even harder for me to keep up! So I apologize for not having individual responses, but I do have a few things to add to some ongoing conversations...

About BC pills and hormones and all that good girly junk--I (similar to Julee) have been on "the pill" since about a week after I turned 16. My doctor told me that the pill he put me on shouldn't cause any weight gain. I DID gain weight, but I don't blame the pills--I blame the fact that I'd had surgery and couldn't move much for 3 months :dizzy: In any case, I think the pills are great for regulating my cycles (before them, I was NEVER even remotely regular) and for loessening my cramps. I've heard about estrogen in fat before, too. When some women get extremely overweight, their cycles can actually stop completely due to the imbalance. Losing weight starts evening out that balance, but of course, not all at once. Even while on the pill, I was spotting when I wasn't supposed to be for a few months, and I noticed that those few months happened to be when I was at my recent lowest weight (about 269). I have since gained at least 10 pounds back and did not have that spotting this month. Hmm...

As for clothing sizes vs. pounds, I had lost 40 pounds and still was the same size. Because of this, I REALLY believe that exercise is even more important (and not just cardio, but also strength training). I feel this way because during that 40-pound loss, I wasn't doing much exercise at all, and NONE of it was strength training. In the past, however, I had dropped a pant size without hardly dropping any weight at all, though I was exercising nearly every day and doing weights 4 days a week. I wish I didn't HAVE to do the exercising (I HATE sweating, hate lifting weights, hate getting out of breath, hate having to shower afterwards...), but I know that it is a necessary evil. So, sometimes the scale will move, and sometimes the clothes will loosen up, but not always at the same time, and not usually at the same rate. I ave actually seen people ask, "How many pounds do I have to lose to go down a size?" and I hate it because that is an impossible question to answer :dizzy:

NotTheCheat 01-27-2006 05:52 PM

Well – this morning the scale showed me at 337, which is one pound down from last week. I would love to say that I am entirely thrilled, and though mostly I am, of course there is a little voice back there going – “but I wanted more!” However, I am not going to let that little voice ruin the fact that 1) I lost something at all 2) During a week I was sick and on antibiotics, 3) When I have been working out and probably building muscle and 4) When I know I am retaining water (my legs were quite puffy this morning – a sure sign). I feel like my body is changing, although sometimes I wonder if that is my imagination from wishful thinking. This morning while dropping me off at work my boyfriend said he could definitely notice a change. I will measure myself tomorrow with the measuring tape and see. Regardless of either thing, I feel better and have more energy. Maybe one of the reasons I have given up in the past is that it just takes my body a bit longer to adjust to the process, or I just lose more slowly than the average. When I was depriving myself and not seeing results it was very to stick to a diet. Since I’m not doing that, I have all the time in the world.

About the workout – I am definitely feeling it today! I was going to go back to do the treadmill today after work, but silly me left my bag with my workout clothes in the car this morning and didn’t remember until after I was up to my office and my boyfriend was long gone with the car. :(

GarnetFairy – The club I am going to has TV’s but only for the treadmills, which leaves you on your own for distractions on the bikes and ellipticals. It is a fairly small place – they don’t have room to have a TV for each one. I am so close to getting an MP3 player – I take a long time to make purchase decisions like that. I think both for that and for walking it would be great.

Kayley – Glad your Andrew made you feel better.

Amber – I hope your uncle is OK. That is really rough. My father went through a period where he started passing out because his blood pressure was dropping too low. He got a pacemaker and he is OK now, but in the beginning it was really scary because we didn’t know what exactly was wrong.

Luan – 2 hours at the gym? That’s amazing.

Valerie – I got a sports bra (which I have never owned before) and wow does that thing hold me in! It was a little uncomfortable at first because it was a bit stiff, but I didn’t have to worry about things flying everywhere!

Tashabella – That must be so frustrating that you need to work so hard because of PCOS. I hope the GI diet helps.

Mazarin – 15 pounds since the New Year sounds pretty good to me. Keep up the good work!

Zelma – Thanks for sharing your before pics – you look so different – it is really amazing. I have plenty of before pics – even ones of me in a bathing suit on the beach. I’ll just have to wait to have some after pics.

Brenda – that is fantastic you were able to fit a 2x – congratulations! Sorry to hear about your husband’s grandfather. It is always tough to lose a loved one.

Sherri – I like the Just My Size bras, but it seems to be so personal – everyone’s bodies are shaped so differently. The sports bra that I just got was a Glamorise one through the Just My Size site. So far so good, but I have just worn it once so far and haven’t washed it yet.

Sarah – Happy birthday! The Applebees WW menu is pretty good – I had the Confetti Chicken there recently and really liked it. The one thing that bothered me was that they list the calories and info on the menu, but the information is not on their website. This shouldn’t be a problem for you if you are on WW, but I count calories and so I had to go by memory. Next time I will remember and jot down the info.

Lillion – Thanks for the tip on those egg rolls. I love Chinese food. I am going to try my first outing while calorie counting to dim sum tomorrow, although I am a bit worried. It has been quite a tradition for me, but some of those items can be dangerous. If I stick with the steamed stuff, get the boc choy and be conscious of quantities, it should be OK. I haven’t had any luck finding calorie info though, so I will have to piece everything together.

Ammi – I think I will try to go to the gym 4 days a week. I will also try to do a little something the other 3 days – even if it is just 10 minutes. I have always focused on food before and it just hasn’t worked for me. This time I am really trying to work on exercise (although watching the food too).

Felicia – Have you ever considered a career in event planning? You are totally amazing!

AmmiUK 01-27-2006 06:26 PM

Jill - it was very interesting to read what you said about pounds verses sizes. I remember you saying that at 40 lbs lost you really didn't look any different. Now you have proven what a difference exercise makes. I knew it before, but it's good to have it reiterated.

Felicia - Nancy is right, you should be an events planner, I can just see you planning weddings, or a politician's day!! Your blog is brilliant too, so maybe you could be a web site designer.

That is absolutely fantastic that you have lost another 3 lbs :carrot: taking your total for this month to 28 lbs. That is a brilliant amount for just one month. Over here we talk in lbs and stones, and you have lost 2 stone in a month, amazing :cheer: :cheer: :bravo: All that working out definitely is paying off!!

Nancy - I guess it's not surprising that you are aching today after such a good work out yesterday. You did good.

Well done on that 1 lb lost as well :carrot: I am glad you aren't letting yourself be dissapointed about it. I know we all want to see more than that, but as long as the weight still is going down that's the main thing. Well done :cheer:

I think you are going to see a big difference in your measurements if not always the lbs now that you are going to work out 4 days at the gym and 10 minutes at home on the days you don't go. I really am getting keen on joining one myself. The one I fancy, isn't just one, you can use a gym in any one of 5 Leisure Centres, plus you can use any of the pools and join in any of the fitness classes. It is definitely value for money.

UK gals - are any of you watching Celeb Big Brother? I really didn't want Chantelle to win, I mean she may be a celeb now, but she wasn't one, so really shouldn't have been there. Oh well, there you go, the public have spoken.

Ok see you all later,

Hugs,

princesspuffypants 01-27-2006 06:47 PM

Brenda- Congrats on getting the 2x!!! im sure you will be beautiful for your family event. :)

sarahdafiregal - i used to be, but there are a lot of heavy people at the gym, and seriously, most people are just as consious that people are staring at them. just get a headset and get on the treadmill. the time will fly and you will never even think about it. also, i know a few chicks here are doing water aerobics. a good way to get great excersize but not be seen. once you go a few times you wont even think about it. i think thats part of the reason i go so long too. because if im having a self consious day today i can justify it with - well i went 2 hours yesterday, i can skip today :)

Julee - we havent covered that yet, but it just makes sence. we sabotage ourselves, then beat ourselves up about messing up. it just doesnt seem fair :)

ammi- i LOVE monsters inc. its probabally my favorite disney movie. as for the gym, i say go for it. first off, if you are paying for it, you will use it. you are worth it!

Kayley - you should talk to Planned Parenthood in your area. they can put you on a low progesterone pill. i know several people that use it to regulate thier cycle, and as a bonus not get pregnant (which isnt failsafe anyway - all 4 of my neices and nephews are pill kids). they should have some information on helping you not gain weight.

Nancy - i just love it. i feel great afterwards. when im not there, all i think about is - i should go to the gym... lol

ok i think i covered everyone. im off to see a TV show taping. the show is Crumbs. if you get the show its on ABC on thursdays at 9pm. its a good show. watch it so it doesnt get cancelled. Fred Savage is in it. :)

garnetfairy 01-27-2006 08:23 PM

Kayley - Check out the local MHMR facility in your town. I get my treatment free as a low-income person and was gettin my meds free until I got Medicare part D insurance, now I have a copay. Also, planned parenthood, as mentioned, is a great place to go for help when you dont have insurance

gotta go veggies are ready

honiangel 01-28-2006 02:50 AM

Valerie--Yeah my SIL is a piece of work alright. Sounds like your DH's is too. I just don't understand some people...

ZedAus, Nancy--My uncle is doing okay, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. He has Atypical Pnemonia (which I don't think I can spell). I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it can't be good along with his diabetes and high blood pressure. He is in the hospital and stable.

sarahdafiregal--Thank you, very much.

Ammi-- :) I'm kind of attached to my name...and no it's not short for anything, I'm just Amber. I was named for a book "Forever Amber". (I've never read it, I should see if I can find a copy.) I like Amberly too though, it's very pretty. And yes it's absolutely brutal what break-ups can do to children. I'm so sorry that both Caleigh and Amberly have to go through that.
My uncle is still in the hospital but stable. And omg I am so tired of hospitals :) . I thought (once again), but...guess not. I pretty much grew up in them, so at least I talk the language :) so I can feel right at home.
I'll have to look into that about WW. I've looked on ebay and the copmlete sets are running kind of high. But I would like to see if I can get one of the point calculators. I'll just have to keep a close watch on ebay. My grandmother had much success with WW a few years ago (before the points program) but she only wanted to lose 15 lbs I think. But everyone I have heard talk about it raves.

FS72--Well I have just started my attempt, but I do a weekly plan and goals and post them on the fridge. There is a checklist for water, exercise and journaling and my mini goal and long term goal are on it too. I need to redo it, but I just laminated it and write (in sharpie) the weekly goals on it and check it off every night and then erase it and do the next week. That helps me.

As for my day...oh I was soooo bad today. We had a staff meeting that I missed last night (because of my emergency room adventure) and it was catered by Olive Garden. Well there were leftovers and our lunchlady, the angel that she is (no sarcasm there at all) Saved me a plate of lasagna, salad and a piece of raspberry cheese cake. I ate the salad. I took one tiny tiny bite of the lasagna and had a friend throw it away in her room :) . But the cheescake...ahhhh the cheesecake. That was my lunch. I didn't eat it all. But I did eat most of it. And the rest of the day was strictly fruits, veggies and a little grilled chicken. So, I compensated, but, doesn't make me any happier with myself.
I also went grocery shopping shopping tonight, just for me. I didn't consider what anyone else was eating but myself. I'll do the family shopping next weekend probably, but today was veggies, fruits, chicken breast, cottage cheese, fat free cold cuts, wraps...healthy stuff. I have to take my lunch to work, and take snacks to eat through out the day. Right now I'm trying to decide what kind of marinades to make for the chicken. I'll divide them up and marinade them and food saver them tomorrow.
Anyway...I need to go and do my 2 miles and get to bed, it's late here. I hope everyone had a wonderful day!

kayleystar 01-28-2006 06:44 AM

Sharon - Actually, my friend didn't even seem to notice that I had lost the weight, even when I told her about a non-scale victory that I had yesterday...all she said was "that's cool"....psh. I don't think it was TOM that got me down...I just always get like that.

Lilion - Ooooh! Chicken vegetable alfredo soup? That sounds YUMMY! New cookbooks are great. It's nice to get new stuff to try while dieting, so it doesn't get old. Wow about the bellydancing! I applaud them for getting up there and doing their thing! I would DEFINATELY be too embaressed/self conscious/scared! You are doing so great! You are definately going to get to your goal! A year from now, I have no doubts that you will be about where you wanna be! Just keep it up!

Ammi - Great idea walking to the dentist! I live in such a small town, where there is NOTHING in it, so to go ANYWHERE is at least 10-20 miles away...so no walking to the stores or anything for me! Thanks for your concern about me...actually him and I DID have a bit of a falling out. Nothing TOO serious, but it still really got to me...but things are very much better now. My Mom went to see the president of the union where she works, and he said that as long as she gets a note stating that she was under the doctor's care since July (when she was diagnosed), that she'll be fine. So they are going to let her keep the job! I was so happy to hear that! As of right now, the docs say that the cancer is gone. She's on a test panel for new meds that are associated with the chemo, so she'll be under close supervision for the next 6 months, and then she'll have checkups every 6 months for the next 5 years. Although, she'll be able to go back to work while she's on the meds. My mom is a trooper, and I'm so proud of her. 10 years ago, when I was 9, she was diagnosed with stomach cancer (which runs in my family), and they were able to remove the cyst before it ruptured, so she didn't require chemo or anything. Although, they gave her a hysterectomy as well...although she said she didn't mind, since I'm her only child, and she didn't want another one. She's a very strong woman.

Jill - Thanks for the info on the birth control. When I go to the health department, I'll ask them about something that won't make me gain weight. I'm not great with the exercising either, but I know it has to be done! Although, I LOVE how I feel afterwards!

Felicia - Fantastic job! 28 pounds in a month is really great! You must be so proud!!! Looks like you've definately got a plan down! I really can't make a plan, as I don't know where I'm going to be most of the time! lol...between work, school, and everything else, I try to fit in working out when I can, even if it's just little intervals. Since I get up so early in the morning, I don't wanna be in the living room with the workout dvds on, since it'll wake up my mom, but once she goes back to work, I should be able to do the 10 minute workout in the morning. I don't exercise all that much, so I'm going to start S..L..O..W! I know you will be able to achieve all the goals you set for yourself!

Nancy - One pound is still good! Every pound is just one step closer to being thin! Although, I definately relate. If the scale shows me at a 1 pound loss, I just feel like...blech! hehe...but on the other hand, if it shows 2 pounds, I'm alright.

Luan - The only Planned Parenthood around here is in Indiana, and unfortunately, they won't help you if you live in Michigan! Bull! So I'm going to go to the health department. That's where my friend goes, and they charge you based on your income. Since I only work FOUR :( days a month, I definately make too little to pay much, if anything at all.

Well, today is one of the days I work. They only have me scheduled every other weekend, so needless to say, I don't get much money! Yesterday, I had two non-scale victories! I was looking through a box with some of the clothes that were too small for me when I started the diet. I found a beautiful purple and gray mohair sweater from Fashion Bug. Size 22/24. It definately didn't fit a month ago, and now it does! I think it'll look better when I lose about 10 more pounds, but it FITS! I was so excited. Also, when we went to Walmart last night, they had this really pretty black fleece zip-up sweater on clearance. Usually, at Walmart, I have to get their size 30/32, which is so hard to find...but I picked up the size 26/28, and it fit! I was really happy with myself. I picked up the "Dance off the inches: Calorie Blasting Party" dvd at Meijer yesterday as well. It has a warm up, cool down, and then 5, 10 minute dances! I figure 15 minutes a day, or at least every other day to start would be good. AND I'll learn how to dance! I'm also fitting into my 4X scrub top! It's so pretty with all the hearts on it. My residents will love it! Well, I'm off to shower, and get ready for work. Hope you chicks all have a great day!

ZedAus 01-28-2006 07:44 AM

Thank you all for your beautiful comments. It is so wonderful to be able to share my progress with people who actually understand what I have done and am still doing. People here are thrilled for me and many don’t recognize me anymore, but they don’t fully understand just how much I have had to change to get to where I am today. Except for hubby of course, who has patiently taken each step with me. I know that you all understand the trials and tribulations we face every day and I feel so at ease talking to you about it. Thank you again, from the depths of my heart.

Brenda – Sorry to hear about the death in the family. I’m sure hubby will make the right decision for him about attending. It is a very personal thing, to decide whether to go to a funeral or not. I’m not good at funerals, so have to weigh up the pros and cons of my attending.

Congratulations on fitting into the smaller sized top! That is always a thrill for me. When I got my first size 12 (8 – 10 U.S) tops the other day I actually stuck the tag on the fridge!! Sounds silly, but it was the first size 12 I can ever remember buying. I would love to see pics from the wedding. I love looking at photos.

Sheri – Thank you for the lovely comments. I am constantly surprised at how I look. I still haven’t totally come to grips with this new body. I never get enough of looking at myself in the mirror or reflections as I simply can’t believe that it is me. The whole journey is just SO exciting and I know you will enjoy your own “wow” moments along the way.

Sarah – Happy Birthday!!! It is the 28th here, so I can wish you a Happy Birthday on time. I hope you have a wonderful day and a lovely meal out. I also hope that the service is better than last time.

Tasha – Thank you for the information about PCOS. I had always suspected that hormones affected my weight, but had never thought to ask the doctor about it. I may ask if I can be tested, just to check either way.

Julee – You mentioned that the pasta sauce upsets your tummy. Has that always been a problem, or just something that has happened since you have been eating better? I have found that since I have mostly been eating unprocessed foods for the last two years, many sauces and processed foods upset my stomach. It certainly makes it easier when eating out, as the temptation may be there, but I don’t want to suffer the consequences.

Kayley – Thank you for the lovely comments – especially about the stripes! I was SO thrilled to be able to wear that. I have spent many years looking upon horizontal stripes as the enemy. I wouldn’t even give a second glance at something with horizontal stripes. When I saw this dress, I kinda just tried in on as a whim. I was so happy that it didn’t make me look like the side of a barn. I hope your periods settle down. Mine are playing games with me I think. Two in a row, then thought next one was coming early, but just a little bit… now it is late. Haven’t been doing anything, so know it can’t be late for the obvious reasons. Kinda frustrating.

I hope you have a wonderful day with your friend. It is lovely being able to surprise people with weight loss.

I am SO sorry about what your mom is going through. As if she hasn’t suffered enough, now they want to take her job away too. It must make you SO mad! It certainly sounds as though she has a case for unfair dismissal, so hopefully she will either get her job back or a HEAP of compensation. Please let us know how things go with her.

It sounds as though you were feeling SO much better in your last post. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to fit into clothes that just a little while ago were too tight. It is like going shopping, but not having to spend any money. Have fun with the dancing!

Lilion – Thank you for telling me about your work. I shouldn’t be bothering you for advice – fingers crossed – as things seem pretty good this end. You must come across some very interesting, and probably frustrating, cases.

You are sounding SO positive about your weight loss, which is fantastic. You sound like I was, and still am, throughout my change of lifestyle. For some reason I just knew, and still know that this is it – I can’t see me ever going back to my self-damaging eating ways and lack of exercise. It is great that you are getting such positive comments from work, as the support always helps.

Ammi – Well done on making it to the dentist on the right day. (Sorry, but I had to get that in first) What a pain that you didn’t really need to go at all. I wish my dentist would tell me that I don’t need any work done. It just seems as though he finds more things each time, and my purse just keeps getting emptier.

You are certainly SO right about people not recognizing me. Hubby says that his main purpose in life now is so that people know who I am. So many people walk past me and then look at hubby, look back at me, look at hubby again… then either scream, hug me, or are simply lost for words. It is quite funny seeing all of the different reactions. I am loving it!

It is interesting that you mention being thin before hormonal changes too. I wonder how many people this affects. That may be something else I have to research. I am interested in Nutrition at the moment and am doing a lot of reading to find out how food and my body work. Now I may want to read up to find out how hormones and my body work. Keeps me out of trouble.

Jill – You are right about periods stopping when you are extremely overweight. I went for years with no period, then when I went on the pill they were VERY light. I have no idea what a regular cycle would be like, but I have a feeling I am going to find out in the coming years.

Felicia – I love your idea of planning out your month. I may try that as well. I don’t really have any problems keeping on track, but it may be interesting to actually have it all in writing, as much for the record, to see if I actually deviate from the ‘plan’ without realizing it. Thank you for that idea.

Nancy – I am SO glad that you are positive about how you are going, even if the scales only show a small drop. I am really trying to stay positive even when the scales don’t move at all. I have had people say that it looks as though I have lost lots more weight, so something must be happening – my scales just haven’t caught up yet.

You may have to keep a set of workout clothes at work with you, in case you forget again. I have decided that I am going to keep a pair of sneakers at school with me, so that when I send the kids to do laps of the oval for Daily Fitness I can join them and not use my good shoes as an excuse. At least that is my plan… not sure how it will go yet, but we start school again this coming week, so I will see.

You are VERY good to have before pictures, especially in a bathing suit! I can’t remember the last time I wore a bathing suit. Probably when I was in my early teens. It is sad really, as we live 5 minutes from the Indian Ocean, and have some beautiful beaches. I’m not sure if I’ll even get into a bathing suit once I am at my target weight as I have some loose skin to try and tighten before I want to show the world my new body.

Luan – You have mentioned being in movies and watching tapings. Do you work full time in the film industry, or just as a side job? I wish I had found this site before we went to the US for our holiday last Sept/Oct. We could have met. We started our trip in LA and spent a lovely day doing a tour of Universal Studios. We were staying at the Sheraton right near by, so we just walked there. The first day in the US though, we caught the train into Hollywood, which was a great experience.

Honiangel – I noticed that you are a preschool teacher. I am a teacher too. I usually teach grade 4, but this year I have been moved to grade 2 and I am NOT happy. I taught grade 2 years ago, for a long time, and I really needed the change to 4. A couple of years ago I threw out all my grade 2 materials, so I have to start from scratch again. I am really not looking forward to this coming year. The teachers start back on Monday and the kids come on Wednesday. I hope I can find some way to at least APPEAR to be enjoying my job by then. I don’t want too many disappointed kids on my hands. Do you have any favourite Early Elementary sites that you could recommend I visit? I definitely need as many ideas as I can get at the moment.

Well, I think I have covered most people. I’m trying to get on here every evening to respond, so I don’t get too lost with all the posts.

I’m just off to try and work out what I am going to teach my new class this coming week. I am actually worried that I may be getting a little depressed about the grade change, and I am trying to get my head around it, but it isn’t working. I just don’t want to work with this grade level again. I know that the kids will be adorable, but the subject content just doesn’t interest me anymore. I don’t even want to get my classroom together, but I’m forcing myself to go in tomorrow and do a few things.

Take care all and have a wonderful weekend,

Zelma

princesspuffypants 01-28-2006 10:30 AM

Zelma - LOL thats kinda a funny story. technically, i work in the industry. i do lots of different things tho. i am currently producing an independant film, i do extra background work in TV and Film and i am going to makeup school to do film and print makeup. Universal was where i was today. i used to be a studio page on several sitcoms and one of my favorites had its last taping tonight. next time you come to the states we will have to get together :) or if i ever make it out your way :)

BeingMe 01-28-2006 02:20 PM

Zelma, you look so different in your after pictures. I agree with Sheri! I also wonder what I would look like when I at least hit 200.

Tashabella, I also have PCOS. I am trying to go the natural way. I am taking Vitex now and will resume my progesterone cream. I ordered some B complex, calcium, evening primrose and chromium which I hope to get in less than 2 weeks. Honestly, I don't like reading about it anymore because I get really depressed thinking about it. And I already have too many stress. But I plan to go to another doctor and have tests done after some months. I just hope I will continually drop the weight. In the country I live in rice is a staple food. A meal just doesn't seem to be fulfilling and complete without it. I am a carb addict but I had been able to stay away from rice for 2 weeks now! Although I let myself to eat 2 slices of bread everyday because I know it is unrealistic for me to cut it.

Brenda, way to go with the dress size! Isn't it a nice suprise? :D Eventhough I lost almost 20lbs it doesn't really show. My brother told me he cannot see the difference *LOL*. I am not fretting about it. I have so much weight to lose and I think when I hit 260 lbs it will be noticeable. By the way, I am able to wear my size 24 jeans again. I am so happy. It's really so hard to find clothes that fit me in here. It will be better though when I am size 20 already but that's a long way.

Kayley, I am sorry to hear about your mom's situation. That's terrible! I hope they'll sort it out.

I am feeling depressed again. My close friend is going to settle abroad for good and I won't be able to see her again anymore :-(. I really feel bad about it. I also blame my weight for not being able to see her that much. She lives in another city and since I don't have a car I'll have to commute in public transport. Well, you know how it is... people are mean and tell you that you need to pay for 2 people, they gawk at you like you are a freak, etc. There were even instances when they don't even let me ride! This is one of the reasons I want to lose weight.

On the plus side, I reached my January goal already! I am going to add weight training on my exercise soon. I can't wait for the end of February :lol:.