3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   Question..??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/74267-question.html)

maegdaeien 01-30-2006 09:17 AM

I think it's absolute crap that a doctor would try to coerce you into a surgery that is not only dangerous, but that will not help you out in the long run. The father of a friend of mine died a few days after his surgery because the doctor had accidentally knicked a vein, and they didn't figure that out until it was too late. Not only that, but as several others have been saying, it certianly doesn't reinforce the importance of healthy food intake and exercise! He probably just is used to people who aren't willing to work for it, and honey, it sounds like he totally misjudged you and I'm proud of you for that.

Oh, and wyllenn-- I LOVE YOUR PUGS.

LAnneCarrington 01-30-2006 02:41 PM

Contrary to many a belief, weight loss surgery is NOT a cure-all nor a permanent solution to weight loss. This is a procedure that requires some serious lifestyle changes for the rest of the lives of patients that get these types of surgeries. It is a MAJOR operation, and one of the pre-op requirements is a psychiatric evaluation, to make sure the patient understands what this involves as well as has realistic expectations of said surgery.

And like any other surgery, it has its risks and complications, including infections and death, which my own surgeon was able to calculate at about 2 percent of risks happening, but they are indeed possible nevertheless.

Weight loss surgery is also meant for those that are 'morbidly obese' to have done when other options and weight loss plans have failed. This isn't something that should be recommended on a routine basis for the reasons I stated earlier.

I am suprised any doctor is pushing for their patients to have surgery when it is obvious the patient has no interest in it. Many 300+ people haven't had surgery and done well on healthy weight-loss plans on their own, and I have great respect for them, because I don't always have that kind of restraint! Good for them, I say.

I have lost 70 pounds on my own, but it took almost two years to do it and I am a candidate for lap band surgery; which is now being in the process of getting things together and get a date eventually. I was to have gastric bypass done, but a rare condition was discovered prior to surgery in the hospital and obviously, they couldn't do the Roux-n-Y bypass and referred me for the lap band instead. But in my case, surgery options were agreed upon by both my PCP and myself.

thinthinker 01-30-2006 04:07 PM

Lori: I'm surprised with your terrific progress (70 pounds) that you or your Dr. are still considering surgery. I would think you should be so happy and proud of your accomplishments thus far.

dolfingirl2000 01-31-2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAnneCarrington
Contrary to many a belief, weight loss surgery is NOT a cure-all nor a permanent solution to weight loss. This is a procedure that requires some serious lifestyle changes for the rest of the lives of patients that get these types of surgeries. It is a MAJOR operation, and one of the pre-op requirements is a psychiatric evaluation, to make sure the patient understands what this involves as well as has realistic expectations of said surgery.

And like any other surgery, it has its risks and complications, including infections and death, which my own surgeon was able to calculate at about 2 percent of risks happening, but they are indeed possible nevertheless.

Weight loss surgery is also meant for those that are 'morbidly obese' to have done when other options and weight loss plans have failed. This isn't something that should be recommended on a routine basis for the reasons I stated earlier.

I am suprised any doctor is pushing for their patients to have surgery when it is obvious the patient has no interest in it. Many 300+ people haven't had surgery and done well on healthy weight-loss plans on their own, and I have great respect for them, because I don't always have that kind of restraint! Good for them, I say.

I have lost 70 pounds on my own, but it took almost two years to do it and I am a candidate for lap band surgery; which is now being in the process of getting things together and get a date eventually. I was to have gastric bypass done, but a rare condition was discovered prior to surgery in the hospital and obviously, they couldn't do the Roux-n-Y bypass and referred me for the lap band instead. But in my case, surgery options were agreed upon by both my PCP and myself.

You're the kind of girl who will do great with this surgery--not because it'll be easy, but because you have already started making the lifestyle changes that are necessary to take the weight off and keep it off. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone having it--I just have a problem with the people who have it when they haven't been trying to lose weight through diet or exercise. The people who I know who've had it used it for a "quick" weight loss but they didn't really change their diets so they're gaining the weight back. :( I don't care how much psychiatric evaluations they want you to have--I'm thinking that almost anyone can listen to what has to be done and say they understand and that they'll do it--meaning watching their food and actually exercising--and then when it's time to actually walk the walk, :^: they just can't do it. Most people aren't morbidly obese because they eat too much due to hunger--let's face it--most of the time that we're eating it's because we're

bored
unhappy
angry
depressed
lonely

and I'm sure that we can all add more to that list. Those are the issues that should be dealt with before any kind of WLS is performed. If a person can start to make the eating changes necessary it will show. If a person can make exercise and integral part of their life--it too will show.

Good luck with the lap band surgery.:hug: It's got to be scary to make a decision like that, but we're here for you. Let us know what happens.

Vicki

CruisingForALosing 02-06-2006 09:29 AM

Hi Christina,

I'm new here and I did think about doing WLS for a few years but decided against it after losing my mom to an unrelated surgery. Truth be told, even though I've tried many diets in the past to lose weight, I've never seriously tried to change my lifestyle over the long haul; just quick fixes. Since I don't enjoy pain nor do I relish the idea of being cut open (and the fact that heart disease and diabetes runs on both sides of the family), I have decided to make some serious lifestyle changes.

I've only had a few doctors suggest WLS to me, most of my current doctors haven't mentioned WLS nor anything about my weight, unless I bring up something about it first, not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Surgery may be an option for some, but not for me.

Zelma, I would be interesting in getting more info on how you lost your weight. Looks like we started out as the same weight and you would be a great inspiration for me.

Thank You,
Michelle