Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #16  

My mom had the surgery 2 years ago February. She has lost 60 pounds of the around 200 she needed to to be at her goal weight. For 2 years she hasn't had a single bubbly drink (not a soda of any kind, no champagne for toasts, not a single beer...etc)...she has been dealing with vomiting after meals because it just comes back up, heartburn, you name it.

She has been trying to talk me into the surgery. But, I look at her, and say to myself "why?". I will be the first to say that I have thought about it. I am even in the "process" with my Dr. See, in order to have the surgery, you have to see a Dr and a dietician for at least 6 months, and also a shrink. If you still feel you need it after 6 months and they all agree its a go, then you can have it. My Dr for one put me on the program, but assured me that in NO way do I have to actually go through with it, and he would rather I didnt.

Now, about my mom. I know from watching her that the reason she isnt losing more is because she hasnt changed the way she eats (aside from soda) she just eats less of it. She eats more junk food than all my kids and me put together, she piles on carbs and fats....so, until she changes her choices and lifestyle, she wont lose any more weight, surgery or not.

As far as I am concerned right now, 60 pounds in 2 years is easy with right choices...maybe even 2 or 3 times that much! Exercise and food choices will win in the end. And without the surgery, I can still have that beer, or soda, or whatever I feel like, I will still be able to eat a "normal" size meal any time I chose, and I will be able to have another child some day should I chose to. With the surgery, I wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents. I thought surgery was the way to go, being over 350 pounds, but learning HOW to make better choices and HOW to exercise for my size, have really opened my eyes to what I have to do if I am serious about losing my weight
Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #17  

I've never had a doctor suggest weight loss surgery for me, but its probably because my stomach disorder (gastroparesis) would disqualify me so its a mute point. I do read & post in the WLS forum here because it causes some of the same issues people have post-WLS such as only being able to eat a small amount at time and worrying about getting balanced nutrition (I still use my feeding tube for some of my nutritional support). I do think some of the people, like Heather's Mom, probably develop gastroparesis as a result of WLS; though it is rarely labeled as such in WLS patients.

I do think WLS has become too common place here in the US- it is like there is something wrong with you if you are obese and haven't had the surgery or aren't planning too. Kind of like years ago when you got married, it was expected that you would have children- as if no other options existed. We are obese- morbidly obese at 300+- and therefor we must need WLS to fix us, because there is no way we can do it on our own

Weight loss surgery is a wonderful tool, but it is nothing more then that- a tool...just like WW, counting calories and/or carbs, pilates, WATP, joining the gym, etc. No one can lose weight without using a variety of tools and no one set of tools works for everyone. WLS happens to be a much more powerful & potentially dangerous tool that needs to be considered carefully. For some people, it is the only solution- I know some people are very successful after having it and it does save lives. But just like any other powerful tool, it has a lot of risk and shouldn't be used unless it truly is the last resort. Sure it might take longer to lose the weight the old fashioned way, with our basic 'tools', but if we fail we can always decide to have the surgery. Once you have the surgery, there is no changing your mind- no going back to normal. I like the idea Heather's doctor has about the 6 month weight and all the steps to prove you are really committed to weight loss, not just weight loss surgery. Unfortunately WLS is also a big money maker, so there are always other surgeons who are willing to bend the rules and perform the surgery with little or no evaluation that it is right for the individual. What scares me is it seems like people are having it done at much lower weights and that they are doing it on younger & younger people. We really don't know what is going to happen long term- what happens as you age and your body changes? Can you met your nutritional needs with a compromised GI system when you're 70 or 80?

Jillybean- your comment about your doctor not even noticing you'd lost 30 pounds gets me. I've had it happen all too many times and heard it from too many friends. If you'd gained 30 pounds in the past year, I bet you would have heard about- right? Don't these doctors know how much we dread those lectures? That we sometimes avoid going to the doctors because we've either gained weight or not lost weight? Yet they can't make a simple statement to acknowledge we've lost weight...a small gesture that might help encourage us to continue to lose weight? Guess they forgot about psychology 101 somewhere along the way and that positive reinforcement is a more powerful then negative reinforcement & punishment. I think its wonderful that you've lost 30 pounds- that's almost 10% of your starting body weight, which is suppose to make a big difference in your overall healthy & health risk. on your success!
Old 01-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #18  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I had a doctor, a new doctor, tell me I should have the surgery. He didn't even know me yet. I found a new doctor pronto. If anyone has a doctor hassling them to have the surgery and they don't want it, have them call me. I will explain in words even a Harvard educated MD can understand that it can be done naturally.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #19  

I also believe that WLS is beginning to be way overused. It gives great results fast, but you still have to watch your diet and exercise. I've finally come to the realization, after several attempts to follow this diet or that diet, that weightloss won't happen until I can successfully change my lifestyle. No amount of dieting or surgery will work if you don't change yourself.

Instead of medical insurance providers paying the extreme cost of WLS and any complications that result from it, seems that a lot of people wind up back in the hospital for complications, why not cover a healthier alternative. It would be cheaper to cover the cost of a dietician or a proven weightloss program like WW etc., and allow for a personal trainer and/or gym membership. It's just so much easier to go for the "quick fix".
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 333/293/175

Height: 5' 2"

Hi,
I am new here BUT not new to being a fat chick BUT really don't know where to start however yes the DRS have tried the surgery stuff with me also and I am NOT doing it.

Too old to be young and to young to be old but so tired of hurting. Hoping I am posting this right.

Surgery is simply not an option for me either.
~No More Hurt
Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildViolet
I also believe that WLS is beginning to be way overused. It gives great results fast, but you still have to watch your diet and exercise. I've finally come to the realization, after several attempts to follow this diet or that diet, that weightloss won't happen until I can successfully change my lifestyle. No amount of dieting or surgery will work if you don't change yourself.

Instead of medical insurance providers paying the extreme cost of WLS and any complications that result from it, seems that a lot of people wind up back in the hospital for complications, why not cover a healthier alternative. It would be cheaper to cover the cost of a dietician or a proven weightloss program like WW etc., and allow for a personal trainer and/or gym membership. It's just so much easier to go for the "quick fix".
You can't get a dietician covered through insurance? I haven't had insurance in 5 years, so I don't know. You do have a good idea though, WildViolet. It would be SO much cheaper if they came up with alternate solutions. Isn't WLS over $15,000 in most cases? Extreme. I'm actually SAVING money through my new diet/exercise program.

BTW, welcome to the boards. (You too NoMoreHurt) Everyone is very supportive and encouraging. Don't be afraid to post your introductions!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Heather - It's stories like you said about your mom that made me NOT want to get it done.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #23  
Finding Me

Wow Thanks for all the GREAT advice and comments! I personally know 5people that have had WLS of thoes 5 people only 3 of them have lived, and while 2 of thoes 3 lost a drastic amount of weight in short time period, they both are currently gaining it back. The 5th person....was force feeding herself Mcdonalds 3 months after the surgery. I just want to thank all of you for being so supportive and encouraging, it really helps a lot!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #24  

And just think! When you DO lose all your weight, you'll be able to have the bragging rights, because you EARNED it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #25  

Hi everyone... I'm pretty new here to this site... have been reading a lot (even THAT'S been helpful) but haven't really connected with a group. I know you all seem to know each other really well... but you also seem so welcoming, I'm hoping one more might be ok. I'm doing the Weight Watchers thing on my own (not the meetings), but I have a partner doing it with me, and since we live together we can plan together and give each other help. It just seems, though, that having such a wide network of people doing this can also be such a great support for all. I have a significant amount to lose--I'd like to lose 120 (you know.. I've never admitted that to anyone!). I started on Jan 6, and have lost 10.5 as of my last weigh in on THursday, so I'm feeling pretty good. I know that there are good weeks and bad weeks, but I'm determined to stay with it THIS TIME.

The only time I've had success in the past has been with WW (well...if we don't count once due to a really bad relationship break up.. heh heh...) but never stuck with it for the long term. Long term--here I come!

I'm pretty new to any type of forum, so I don't really know much about threads and posts and all those cool things you put on...but I figure learning that can be fun, too. I also discovered fitday thanks to this site and am keeping everything logged there as well.

Well, enough for a newbie..... hope to connect!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #26  

Maybe this was the wrong thread.. (see? I'm new!) becasue this was specific to a question.... I'm happy to take suggestions!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #27  

Hello and You may want to join the Hens, or 300+ forum! You are certainly welcome in either! I hope you find all the encouragement you need to achieve your goal. No one judges you here, so you DONT have to worry!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #28  

Thanks kayleystar... will look around some--may see you again!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #29  

Hello ZedAus
I'm fairly new here. Your post and pictures are inspiring. You have every right and reason to be proud. You offered to make your journey notes available. I'd like very much to read them. I've got to lose 145 lbs, plus I have physical limitations, and am over fifty.
BF
Old 01-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just to echo a hello to the new ones -- feel free to join us in the ongoing numbered threads. And if you are looking to make exercise a habit, join us in the exercise thread -- We'll start a newe one for Feb in a couple of days!!
Closed Thread