Old 08-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#751

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Basal Metabolic Rate

Hi All,

I had some advice on another part of the forums about the BMR. I looked up an online calculator and it said my BMR is 2215. Does that mean I have to eat that many calories every day in order for my metabolism to keep working. It sounds like a lot. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #3  

Question

Hi,
I need to lose 100 pounds and lost 136 put gained 100 back and i feel so depresed and I cant get back on track start out good and then blow it. I just dont know what to do anymore. I have posted here before but I always quit posting cause I am eating bad anyways. I just dont know what to do I really wantto lose weight and I know what I need to do to lose but it is so hard. What do you all do to get it off for good?
Please help.
blondiewyandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #4  

Hi Blondie,

I am only new to this site, but not new to being on various web sites for support and then stopping posting because you fall off the wagon. I think that is an error we shouldn't let happen again. If we get off track I think this is the best place to come to help get the motivation to forgive ourselves and get back on track again.

You have lost so much weight in the past, so you know you can do it. I have lost about 28 lbs loads of times over the years and keep putting it back on, so I am not one to ask for advice on how to keep the weight off. I am hoping that with the support of people here I will be able to do it this time. I am done with losing weight just to gain it back again.

Good luck, I am sure you will get on track, stay on track, and maintain the weight. Let's both think positive!!

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/288/175

Hello All,

I am new to the community. My journey of weightloss will be a long one as I have about 125lbs to lose. All I can say is that take it one day at a time. Plan your meals. This helps me a lot. Especially on weekends when I am running errands. I will take a bag of almonds or a cheese sticks, or sliced apple with me so to that I don't end up at a fastfood drive-thru. I plan my meals for the week a head and then prepare them the night before, so that I stay on track. Of course there are times when I fall off, but then I get right back on again. If I am craving something I will eat 1 bite (this took a while for me to do) Then I will pour water over the rest, so that I don't go back and eat the rest of it. I carry water on me, so that I am sipping it throughout the day. I, also, carry in my purse a motivation quote as well as a prayer, I dig this out, and say them twice before I pull out money for the chips or whatever I want to buy - this helps. 9/10 times it will deter me from buying the fastfood or junk food. These are some tips that have helped me.Temptation is so easy to give into (I know, I have done it many times), resisting is very hard.

Good luck to you!
AllieNVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

AmmiUK--those calculators you find online are extremely generic. They are a VERY basic guideline. Also, many of them say different things, even though they all seem to come from reliable sources. I have had calculators tell me that my BMR is anywhere from 1850-3300 calories a day I know if I ate 3300 calories a day, I would certainly NOT be maintaining my weight! These calculators don't take into account so many things, including how much muscle you have, hormones, genetics, and so many other things than can affect your prsonal metabolism. I think these calculators actually do more harm than good, since they clearly confuse a lot of people I ignore them--I know what I have to do to lose weight (and eating 3000 calories a day certainly isn't it!). Did you keep a journal of what you were eating before changing your diet to lose weight? This is the best place to start--find out how many calories you were consuming normally and cut that by about 500 a day. Continue cutting calories gradually (every other week or so) until you find what level seems to work best for you. For most people, it is certainly fewer than 2000 a day (anywhere from 1200-1800 is what I usually see around here). Good luck!

blondie--if we knew how to lose it and keep it off, then we wouldn't bee here! There's no magic tricks. You just have to WANT it more than you want the food. You need to WANT to be thin, STRIVE to be healthy, and DESIRE to be strong. It takes time (as I'm sure you well know, having done it once already). I know that ice cream tastes good now, but it won't look as good on your hips tomorrow! For me, planning is definitely key. I have purged my whole house of junk food--nothing bad for me in the cabinets, refrigerator, desk drawers, coffee tables--NO JUNK! That way, even if I binge, it's only on fruit, low-fat cheese, low-fat graham crackers, or something like that. Much better than the old Jill who used to eat a whole cheesecake herself in one sitting I also find that coming here helps--when I feel a bad food time approaching, I come here and read some inspirational stories (in the Success Stories ir Maintainers forums). I also joined TOPS to keep me accountable on a weekly basis (www.tops.org if you're interested in a chapter near you)--MUCH cheaper than WW, LAWL, JC, or any of the other numerous weight loss groups out there. You know what works for you--how did you do so well the first time you lost the weight?

Allie--I hused to work with a woman who did something similar. When she went out to a restaurant, she would eat half of her meal and then pour salt all over the rest of it so she wouldn't eat it Whatever works!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #7  

Allie - thanks for sharing some of your tips for dieting, I particularly liked the one about pouring water on the food. I am fairly new here too, and I have a LONG weight loss journey ahead, but one day at a time is the best motto for us.

Jill - I guess I was a bit concerned about how those calculators worked, and you just confirmed it for me. I know ww points work for me, so I think I will just stick to them. Thanks for the heads up.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #8  

Smile

Greetings Chicks!

It's been some time since I posted here, but I try to keep up with other peoples posts. Boy there are lots of newcomers...Welcome! I've found these forums to be the BEST support!

Well, to catch anyone up who may be wondering...AF finally arrived, no baby here - which is really a good thing and I had been quite concerned. Too old for more kids - besides, right now DH and I have DS outnumbered! Anyway AF came and went and took a pound with her, making me 60 lbs gone, FINALLY. I hate plateaus. Even little three week ones like I had.

Catherine: I'm so excited about you and your gentleman! I look forward to updates in your posts. I actually know two people who met their husbands on-line and another thru a personal ad, so I do know it happens! My fingers are crossed for you.

BigGirl: Last I remember, you were thinking maybe baby too. Did I miss something?

Jilly: I can never get over how hard you work! You make me tired just reading about it. Your post was quite inspirational and food for thought.

Well, must run. Later ladies. Onward and Downward!!!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #9  

Hi Lilion,

nice to meet you. I haven't met Catherine yet I don't think, but I am gathering she has met a nice guy on the Internet. I met my husband on the Internet, so I can definitely vouch for it as a great way to meet guys.

Hope to get to know you both better.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #10  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Well, the hurricane went south of me, and now we are waiting to see how far west it will end up before turning north. If it goes far enough into the Gulf, it won't hurt us as it passes. All we got so far was a lot of rain, and some wind. It is a bit like the world's largest ociliating fan, first calm, and then like 40 mph. The roof must have spung a leak because the plaster fell over my tub at 2am. Try getting a plumber to come out on a Friday during a hurricane watch. It looks like sponge baths until at least Monday. Who had the bright idea that flat roofs were a good idea in Florida?

My beau is frantic with worry. It's actually kind of cute. I've been taking care of myself for so long that the idea of someone worrying about me is quite new. I could be naughty and take the phone outside during the next squall. They sound so much worse than they are. I wouldn't do that to him, but I have a streak of leprechaun in me that likes to come out now and again.

I hit another plateau, so I am going to try that 3 1/2 day diet where you eat a bunch more calories for half the week, to try to rev up the metabolism, and then back down to regular for the other half. I saw a guy on tv who had to do that because he kept hitting plateaus. I'll let you know if it works.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #11  

I had to share this bit of good news. Twice this week something has happened to upset me, that's not the good bit, lol. The good thing is that normally at those times I would have pigged out. But I started back OP on Monday and although I did automatically think of comfort eating, I stopped myself. I just hope this will power will last, after all, I am only on day 5 of being back OP!!

I think with the support of all the wonderful people here I have a good chance of lasting on this diet, make it a lifestyle change, and for the first time ever keep the weight off. Thank you all for being here for me.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #12  

It's a bit quiet on this thread lately, where is everybody? I hope it doesn't matter that I keep posting anyway lol.

I just wanted to say that I am now on day 6 of being back OP and today is the first day that I really feel like smiling about it all. I have barely felt hungry all week, and as I said above, even when I have been tempted to comfort eat, I didn't. If I was brave I would get on the scales. But I'm not, so I will just keep feeling happy that I am back in control and hopefully losing weight.

Hope everybody has a great weekend,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Hi Ammi,

Thanks for posting your good news! You are doing great! Nothing new here - just bored out of my mind as I can't walk - the knee is getting better everyday so I thank God for that!

Keep up the good work!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone~~

Hope that you're all doing well. I've been doing really good with my eating plan and I've now lost 27 lbs. all together. YAY! I've NEVER lost 27 lbs. before so this is so wonderful for me.

I can honestly say that for the first time I actually BELIEVE that I can do this. Before--even though I wanted so badly to lose weight--I don't think that I really believed that I could do it. When people would say, "It's your mindset." I used to get mad because I knew that I wanted to lose weight and I didn't understand why I couldn't. And then of course when I would fail at it, I would get more depressed and "stuff" my feelings down even more and gain even more weight. Talk about a vicious circle. I just came to the realization that the "mindset" people were talking about was the belief in yourself and that you can do anything that you set your mind to. It's a really powerful feeling knowing that everything that happens to me is my choice (for the most part, of course .)

I haven't been to the gym this week but I've been able to lose weight because of my diet. We are building a deck and the workmen were here all week. I couldn't leave my dogs alone on the porch because they would have gone crazy with all of these strangers around. It's been fun though. Some of our friends came by so it was a talk fest and a pretty good time in spite of all the noise. I'm going back to the gym on Monday--if the guys aren't going to come to finish the fence, that is. My boyfriend goes back to work on Monday so I want to be home with him Monday night to make him dinner and to take a nap before I have to go to work.

Ammi~~ good for you on not letting your emotions get the best of you! I know how hard it is not to eat the wrong stuff when you're upset. I'm an emotional eater too.

Hippie~~(I love your icon, by the way) You are making me laugh with your "evil" ways. Teasing the poor man. Keep it up. How's the 3 day diet going? Good luck.

I just noticed the time! I have to go because I'm going out with my sister and some friends tonight to celebrate one's birthday. I really don't want to go, but...*sigh* I hope you all have a great weekend. Talk to you soon.

Vicki~~
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #15  

Hi,

Lori, I am guessing that is your name from you picture at the end of your post. Thanks for your kind words. How did you hurt your knee?

Vicki, thanks for your applause I know exactly how you feel about actually having the right mindset now. I feel like that now, this time, some how, it just feels differently. I am sure you and I can both get to goal this time, and most importantly KEEP the weight off.

I am loving this diet/lifestyle change NOW.

Hugs to all,

Ammi