Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose - vol 1

Come Join me!

I'm starting this thread and new group as a sub-set of the 300+ thread. It isn't to cause a split in the group but rather to create a second place for old friends to get together and new friends to join us and to regain that family feeling. The 300+ group has provided so much support and camaraderie for so many ladies but it gets to feeling too impersonal when we have so many because we can't be as personal. This will give new folks more of opportunity to find support as well as our old friends to feel they are getting support too.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of losing weight and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #2  

I am missing posting on 3FC too much and want to create a smaller group of friends. I need to get back to posting about weight loss efforts.

Tonight I am planning on rejoining WW for at least 10 weeks to try to get another 15 pounds off.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Terri: Glad to see this finally happening. Thanks. I was very surprised yesterday when I jumped on the scale at NOON yesterday, after having been out to breakfast and running some, to find it read DOWN a couple of pounds. It certainly gave me the motivation to eat better the rest of the day.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #4  

Smile

Hmmmm, Old Hens. Not sure I like fitting into that description.

But I think it might be interesting to see how the other "old ladies" of the group are doing. I tend to forget that I'm not one of the 20-somethings. (Or 30-somethings, for that matter!) I barely have any friends my age... I guess I've been over 40 like I've been fat. Most of the time I just never thought about it.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say on this thread.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #5  
DoxieMomx2

Well, as bad as I hate to admit it, I most definitely fall into this bracket! Although I'm not an "oldie" on the threads, I would love to join this one if you'll have me! I find too many times that I feel "ignored" (for a better word) on the bigger thread.

For my two cents, I can honestly say that I have been on the up/down roller coaster for many years, and now that I'm over the 40 mark and trying again, my body and I are NOT seeing eye-to-eye. The weight is definitely not coming off the way it did before 40. Excercise is not as easy on the bones and joints, but I will continue to keep plugging on, as I am determine to get it off and keep it off this time.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies:

My name is Pat and I would like to join your thread. However I've never done this before so someone will need to instruct me. I am 60years old, a little over 300 lbs for most of my life and I think I need to see a head doctor for my eating problems. But since I can't afford a head doctor I'm thinking that you ladies will do better.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #7  

Smile Oldest hen reporting!

Hello all, I am so glad you started this thread Terri, things had gotten overwhelming on the other thread. I finally just gave up trying to keep up. I still read all of the post, but can't seem to jump in with my two cents worth. Terri, I should think about doing WW again myself. I lost over 100 lbs on that some years ago. (now what does that say for my self control??)

Thin, Good for you! I haven't lost anything in weeks, and of course I know why. I haven't been on program and can't seem to get there again. I start every morning and before the day is over I have crashed. Shame on me! Today I just might make it. If I can ever get through the first day, it is a go!

Lillion, I guess it is better to be an old hen than a dead bird??

DoxieMom, I know exactly what you mean about the weight not coming off like it did when you were younger. I need TNT to move mine these days. I can sure gain it faster than I can lose it. Just take a deep breath around the food...zap there goes 5 pounds on each hip.

Gorda, Pat, Welcome! age....well, I have you beat in the age department. Now everyone is sitting there saying "how old is she"? I will never tell! Losing weight just gets harder each year I age, and my best advice to anyone would be do it while you are younger. It really does do some terrible things to your body, as I am finding out.

Hope to see more of the old gang on here. Iwillbe...Ruth
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #8  

Wink

I wonder....could I be the youngest hen in the house? That would be unique. I shall have to investigate. Some of us don't put our birthdays on our profiles I see!

Lilion
Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #9  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I am only 43, but I think that means I still qualify, although lately I have felt more like a teenager. My losing weight has restarted my body, and I'm actually going through the equivalent of a second puberty. Gosh I hope I get through it before I hit menopause for real this time, not just a fat induced menopause. I hadn't had to go down "that aisle" in years at the store. Didn't even know they made so many different things now. Anyway, I'm a joiner, so I'll play with you guys if you'll have me.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi,

Just stopping in to "cackle" hello.

Great idea ladies!

I need to recomit (sp?) and spend more time with my 3FC friends. I promise I'll be back later.

Judy
Old 07-19-2005, 06:32 PM   #11  

Hi ladies!!

Great to see everyone coming out of the woodwork!

I wish I could take credit for the idea but an "old hen" herself, 2Cute, had mentioned it awhile back as the thread was beginning to boom with new ladies. As 2Cute has been taking much needed time for herself and as several of us have posted in the MIA thread with very similiar feelings, I decided it was time to get this going. Thanks 2Cute for the idea!!

Well, I'm inspired and committed and off to rejoin WW. I just told DH that I'm focusing only on 10 weeks and in that time I AM going to get off 15 pounds.

Later chicks! I'll update my sig lines to a new weight since I will now be weighing in in the evening plus I know I've gained a handful back.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #12  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, I'm 43 and am having a lot of trouble losing weight. I eat right and exercise and the pounds just stay where they are. I guess that's better than gaining. So I'd like to join your group. I roughly count calories and stay at about 1400 calories on the average. I swim and I hike 4-5 times a week so I'm pretty active. If anyone has a way to help jump start this old hen's metabolism, I'd sure appreciate any input.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #13  
Leanne

Default beware long post ahead

Thanks Terri for starting this thread ... I noticed 2Cute had mentioned it a while back but thought I would have to wait until the northern hemisphere winter to join in again!

My weightloss efforts have been terrible up until the last few weeks. I got caught up in the winter blues, not being able to go to the pool, and my knee/back were just awful. But about 3 weeks ago I got back on the exercise bike for a huge 5 minutes a day and have been working my way up since then. I'm up to 14/15 minutes a day now, and I have got back on track (mostly) with my eating as well. I haven't weighed for 4 weeks and can't see the dietician until next Tuesday, so I don't know if it will be up or down from last time, but either way it will be a starting point I guess. Last time I was weighed, I was up 1 kg or so from the lowest point I've been all year, so hopefully there won't be too much damage from that point.

I got some sad news this morning. I woke up to the news that my 14 year old cat Sweetypie had been hit by a car and died. I feel totally devastated. It brought up a whole heap of feelings. I don't even have a shovel so I had to ring my pastor and ask him if I could borrow one. He came over and buried her for me just after the kids went to school and I just sobbed all over his shoulder.
The thing is, mixed in with my grief at losing her, and sadness that I haven't had as much time to just pat her over the last year or so because I have been so busy, was this huge anger. Surprisingly enough, against my ex-husband. Instead of just shoving it down, I went in my room and cried and just let myself feel it. And realised that I am still enormously angry with him, for putting me in the position of having 100% responsibility for four kids, for having to do all the "strong" things, for never getting any 'time off' (I have the kids 365 days a year), for spreading lies about me around the time of the breakup which effectively cut me off from the people in my church who I considered my family, for me being in this position where I feel alone 95% of the time and have no way out of it.
A uni counsellor asked me about 2 years ago if I thought I was holding any anger, and stuffing it down with food and being a workaholic, and I said no way. Because I'm not an angry person. But now I realise that yeah, I am, just on the inside, and that this probably is one of the things that has made it hard for me to lose - I deal with the anger by pushing it down.
I just don't know how to get rid of it. I asked my pastor when will it start getting easier - all this responsibility, and he said "it probably won't". I really appreciate his honesty, but I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now. I'm trying not to head to the fridge/pantry to bury my feelings.

Anyway, didn't want to depress anyone - just letting you know what's going on with me. I think this new thread is really good and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the old names that haven't been around lately coming back (hopefully!)

Leanne
Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! I figured this was just as good a time as any to jump in here. As much as I've been trying to keep up with the other thread, I haven't found the need or desire to post there, but I love seeing all the old faces returning along with some new.

We've been in a constant up and down motion here at the house. (ok, get your minds out of the gutter ) #1 Son has been looking at houses. I really thought I was going to lose him there for a little bit, but I think he's decided that a few more months at home (and more $$$ for a down payment) is a better idea.

Honey had been up for a promotion (which he didn't get ) after 2.5 months in the "interim" position. Now he is in negotiations for more money because during his "temporary" status he found a salary sheet and discovered that he makes $10,000 less + a bonus plan than one of the other managers and a bonus plan less than the other manager. Both of whom are his equal in the food chain. Didn't make him very happy to say the least.

The "baby" is very happy in his job as a valadation engineer for an automotive supplier but he thinks he's got a job change (his doing) in his future. But it does mean that he will finally have to graduate and get his degree, something that he has been procrastinating on for the past year and a half.

I've really been working hard the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it feels good and sometimes not, being so busy. I've been trying to take jobs in multiples so that I can do some route work. For instance, today I did 7 sub shops. Paid for dinner AND made a few bucks a pop as well.

Honey and I did shows this weekend and saw Wedding Crashers. It's rather risque but funny as heck. If you don't mind the R rating, it is very entertaining!

Lilion: I don't know if you ever saw it, but I posted on the other thread quite some time ago that I have a really neat romance paperback that is set in a ren fair and if you're into reading that kind of stuff I'd be happy to loan it to you. It was about how they all set up in tents and practiced jousting, etc. Very cute.

Kim: I'm at the point where I have to get real with my issues. It's not that my weight WON'T come off, it's that I'm not doing much to MAKE it come off. I need to get MUCH BETTER at that.

Pat: Welcome to the boards! I'm not sure we'll do BETTER than a head doctor, but I promise we'll be here for you.

Ruth: I'm with you. I think I'm going to get out my old WW books and just start counting those dang points again. It worked for 85 pounds before, it can work again. Let's do it!!!

Catherine: Sure you can play too! Boy, I'm not sure I'd want puberty back again. I'm having enough trouble trying to deal with Mother Nature deciding if she's coming or going these days. sheesh! I would just as soon she GOES and takes her backache and sore boobs with her!!! I've always been like clockwork all through weight gains and losses so I've not experienced the type of swings you're talking about. Isn't it FUN being a woman????

Judy: Glad this thread got you to come out of hiding. Are you doing much in the dog shows this summer? I can't wait to hear how things are going with you in New York.

Marie: The only suggestion I have for jump-starting the metabolism is to do something DIFFERENT. If you're that active, I'm sorry to say but you'll have to kick it up a notch. Don't hike more....swim, or ride a bike, or do some exercise videos. Anything to trick your body and keep it off balance. It's gotten comfortable.

Leanne: Oh honey, [[[hugs]]]. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. That's soooo sad. My Max is 11 and I don't know what I'd do without his little smiling face meeting me at the door when I come home and sitting on the couch with me at night. I'm glad you let all the tears, anguish and disappointments of the past couple of years flood out of you. Maybe now you'll be able to REALLY move past all of that where before you just denied it all existed. I can't imagine raising 4 kids on my own, but you're doing a spectacular job. Just remember that you NEED to find some time for yourself as well. I know it's hard, but get lost in a good book, a walk in the park, or even that swim in the pool that you so enjoy.

Terri: It's nice to see some old faces mixing with the new. I feel like my old self, posting replies again and getting involved. Thanks again for taking the time to start this up. BTW, do we get to see Sarg all the time now????

Well, my lovelies, it's almost 1:30 AM here. So much for my 'bed by midnight' rule that I haven't been doing a very good job with lately. I'm off now though. Love ya bunches!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies,

I bit the bullet and rejoined. The weigh-in was not bad. On my own, I had gotten down to 242 which is a morning weigh-in with no clothes. Last night it was 249.6 so I'd say I'm up about 4 pounds this summer. Which really is not bad considering how we've fallen completely off program with menu planning and meals. And I have not been getting up and doing exercise in the morning. I guess all my other activity has saved my butt.

Thin - Great to see your wonderful posts again.

Leanne - I'm very sorry about your beloved kitty. I had one that I lost years ago and I cried and cried. Darn pets get into our hearts like kids. It is good that you had the release and that you can recognize it for what it was. Sometimes just recognizing that the emotion is there allows you to choose to let it go. I've read of using visualization of doing something with the emotion, like you putting it in a box, helps to get rid of it. If you're acknowledging and releasing it - you're not stuffing it down!! Keep coming back and talking about things.

MMarie - Welcome to the group. At our age, the doc says an hour of exercise a day is what we need. Damn doc! Sometimes, you have to eat more. I'm not sure what your weight is but WW allows for more points (calories) at higher weights because the body needs more intake or else it thinks its starving. Try mixing things up too. More calories one day, less the next. Good luck! [duh, I saw your ticker after I wrote this. ]

Judy - Great to see you popping back in too! Are you still going to WW? How's the doggies?

Catherine - Yep, you can play. I personally am going through a mid-life crisis. While its not a "crisis" its a mid-life, I am going to do things I've never done before kind of thing. And I am loving it and feeling great about myself. So, you go girl!

Lilion - I'm 45. I'm discovering that I like women my own age now. Must be moving into a new phase of life.

Ruth - Great to see you back too. Let's all work on getting refocused together. We can do this!

Kim - You are of course welcome here. Thanks for the PM; it got me to thinking about how much I missed posting and that feeling of friendship from the group.

My challenge for the day will be to make a grocery list, plan a few meals ahead, and work on getting back to regular exercise. My problem with exercise this summer has been that I have been so busy from the time I get out of bed until I crash at night. I do a lot of physical work with the horses but it isn't muscle building or cardio. It burns calories though. I've also discovered that I am liking more gentle exercises like pilates or the stability ball these days.

Off to work! Let's make this a great OP day!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 07-20-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Closed Thread