3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300+ And Ready To Try Again.. #726 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/59322-300-ready-try-again-726-a.html)

brandnewme 06-08-2005 06:54 PM

300+ And Ready To Try Again.. #726

WELCOME !!!
We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
The challenges start every other Monday. There will be a sign-up started by someone on the thread and then you report in 2 weeks later with your losses!
Once the one challenge ends, a new one begins the same day.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.
(NOTE: We DID IT, We DID IT....and it's only the end of May!!!)

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!

hippygoddess 06-08-2005 07:49 PM

Hi all,
I've been catching up on the reading - isn't that Virtual Model site interesting? About a year back I put the big me and smaller me printouts up on the fridge to try and motivate myself, but I guess I didn't really believe that I would ever look like the 'thin me' so it didn't help much.

This week I have been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in my spine, which has been causing a lot of the pain down my leg that I have been experiencing. The diagnosis sent me into a bit of a tailspin, because there is nothing that can be done, apart from losing weight, and it makes it harder for me to exercise, which makes it harder to lose, yadda yadda, circle circle.
I guess I've just been ignoring the diagnosis, and throwing myself into work (pretty easy to do when I have exams and end of semester assignments to mark!). But I have to do SOMETHING to start shifting this weight again, and get off this plateau. I'm starting to feel desperate again.

I'm glad to hear about all the losses on this thread - all you 'newbies' seem to be powering on!

Leanne

shadiepurple 06-08-2005 09:55 PM

I had such a wonderful day today! :gift: !!!! I have a best friend , :flow1: and she has 6 children. I was her labor coach for 3 of them. I love her kids. Well, they are having children now :o . One of the girls had a terrible heart problem before she was born :stress: . It was just me, my friend, and the drs. when this girl was born. It was quite a bonding cituation for me with the baby girl :flow2: . Well, today this baby girl is 18 yrs old and she had her first baby today. :angel: I am very close to the family and have been for ever. I was expecting the call that the baby was here, but instead I got the call that she wanted me to be there with her and my friend :love: . I beat feet to the hospital and like always there was a ton of family there. As things moved on she wanted me and her mom to help her. Her husband let out of town just last night for work. He works for my friends husband and with my husband. All 3 men couldnt get much work done today waiting to hear any news about the new baby. Well, it ended up she wanted me and her mom to help her :cp: . It was dajavuu for me. It was me, my friend and her baby again, only the baby was having a baby. She worked so hard and did such a fantasic job. I was so proud of her, like she was my own. I've been a labor coach for 15 differnt babies over the years. But this one was the most special. She had ME cut the cord, while the daddy was on the speaker phone with us. I told him i was doing it for him. It was all so serreal. Anyway, I just had such an awsome day I thought I'd share it with you guys. :hat:

Enjoy your lives everybody. :joker: Life goes flying by when your not looking. Hang on to the good stuff. :woo:

DoxieMom 06-08-2005 10:17 PM

I am SO glad to back! You ladies are my "Queens in Shining Armour" against the food demons!! I honestly don't know what I would do without you all. It makes it so much easier knowing all of you are here and going through the exact same journey I am going through. Thanks you all so much. :thanks:

Shadie - Your story is so sweet and touching. ;) I got teary eyed reading it! I think it absolutely wonderful that you got to be there when your "baby" had her baby! My younger sister was with me and the hubby when my son was born, and I was with her and her hubby when her daughter was born. Childbirth is such a phenomenal miracle! Someone told me they didn't understand what I was going on about, that it wasn't like I hadn't went through it myself, but as I told them, I was on the other hand with my sister. When you watch that little thing come into the world for the first time, it is such an amazing experience. I was crying like a baby when my niece was born. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day!

Dogpal - I just love you, girl! You are always so encouraging to everyone and have such a great outlook. I hope your 'bout with the flu is on the down hill slide.

Catherine - My inspiration "goddess!" Thanks for the tip on the pizza. I usually do have the Lean Cuisine, but limit it because it is so high in sodium. I can't wait to try the english muffin pizzas.

Sorry, I can't respond to everyone - we are getting a major thunderstorm and they have just come across the news and suggested turning off your computers!

Everyone take care and stay safe.

thinthinker 06-08-2005 10:40 PM

Just moving Dogpal's post over here so you won't miss it.

Dogpal posted this on the other thread. I didn't want anyone to miss it so I brought it over here.

:wave: Hi Everyone. I am finally getting a bit over my flu bug. I have been reading the posts and really missing you all.

Hippievanlady: I read your post about feeling like you just have to sleep. Have you been tested for potassium level? :dz: I was so low in January I felt exactly like you are describing and my husband had to drive me to the Dr. I got put in the hospital overnight for my potassium being sooooo low it was almost non existant in my body. Now I have to take potassium pills. It couldn't hurt to have it checked out. Thank you for the websites and the ideas on pizza. You are so wonderful. :hat:

Suemarie: How is your yard coming along? I hope your sunburn is much better too. :flame:

Angie B: Welcome. Just keep trying different exercises until you find one that you enjoy enough to keep doing it. :tread: I don't really mind the exercises but the walking really hurts my hip. I am not supposed to do it until I loose more weight according to my Dr. You will find something. Just keep trying.

Lilion: Congrats on your -3.5!!! :cheer: That is so wonderful. Keep up the good work.

Jillybean: I can relate to you about six flags. My husband was thinking that I just didn't want to go with him until finally I sat him down and said to him, "look, I know you love me and don't see me this way but I am too big to fit in the rides". I can't wait for the day that I can plan a surprise trip for us and go on every single ride with him :bike: that he wants to go on. Hang in there Jilly, we will get there.

Thinthinker: Thank you :thanks: for mentioning the virtual me site. I have been having fun with it and I have been so fat for so long that It was nice to recall what I once looked like at 5'10 and 160. I have something to really look forward to again.

Biggirl: Yea! Good job on thinking positive thoughts of yourself. You are such a sweetie pie. :queen: It is hard when we have ideas in our heads to shake them out and put fresh ones in. If you ever need a pep talk, eme a personal one!

JuleeCee: Don't work too hard on all of your projects. Have a good time at dinner with your folks :hun: and your BF's folks. How nice of your BF's mom to ask what she can fix. I have never had anyone ask me what I can eat. That is nice.

Shadiepurpel: Congrats on your -2 pounds. You go Girl. :sunny:

Brandnewme: Welcome back. Good job getting "back on the wagon" :cp:

Tashabella: I know what you mean about the "am I so big that 50 pounds doesn't make a difference" thing. It does girl. I tell you what someone here on this site a while back suggested pounds in butter lost. I always visualize that now. Whomever suggested that created a monster in me because I am so big at 497 to start that when lose weight you really can't tell that much so I say to myself ok, 22 pounds lost is equal to 22 boxes of butter. 22 boxes of butter have 88 cubes of butter in it. Therefor, I have lost an equivalant to 88 cubes of butter. Man that is a lot of butter. Think how much more cubes I will shed. You are doing well. Keep your head up. :love:

Detroitlady: Good job staying op. It is a great victory to comit to staying with it no matter how long it takes. :snail:

Doxiemom: I'm so glad that you are back on track. Shake the dust off your shoes and keep on walking. You can do it no matter what the scale says, it will fall away eventually. :goodscale Hang in there and keep on keepin on.

Solus: Congrats on loosing :bravo: 20 pounds!! That is so wonderful. Keep up the good work.

Well, If I didn't mention everyone it isn't because I'm not thinking about you. Hugs :goodvibes to everyone.
Blessings,
Dogpal

dogpal 06-08-2005 11:54 PM

Thank you Thinthinker. I will try harder to watch the numbers from now on. Sorry about that.

Blessings,
Dogpal

brandnewme 06-09-2005 12:01 AM

Good evening ladies!

Shadie - that's such a special experience. I'm glad you were able to be such an active part of it!

Hippygoddess - Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Just remember that you *can* lose weight, even if sometimes it seems like the circle doesn't want to end. My thoughts will be with you, and know that I'm mentally cheering you on!

Dogpal - Glad you're getting over your flu! That can really knock the life out of a person. I may only be sick one or two days, but it always takes twice as long to recover!

Congrats to everyone who's lost! Congrats to everyone who is sticking with it, period - it's not an easy road to travel and you all have my utmost respect for hanging in there.

I had a fairly good day. Work was steady but not busy, I got my three meals in (though two were late.. oops), I got my exercise in (Yay! I actually enjoyed it for the first time in a long time!), and I'm working on the water situation. I am finally feeling like I'm doing something right, and that's making a world of difference. I have a whole new outlook due to some of the stuff that has gone on in the last couple months. It's like finally waking up from a dream that's just not right.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to go to the YMCA and get on the treadmill and then go swimming afterwards. I haven't been swimming since before my car accident, and I really miss it! I bought a new bathing suit to celebrate going down a size, so I better start putting it to use!

JuleeCeeS 06-09-2005 02:52 AM

Ooh goodness what a day...

Minor drama at work..but I let it go.

LOST 3.7 LBS!!!! Even with TOM hanging around...wow!! Whcih brings me to an offficial los of 49.4 lbs since February 1. I had hoped to be down 50 lbs by this weekend when I see my folks...but for .6 lbs...I'm close enough and am thrilled.

Then...I fit into a size 20 skirt at Old Navy..mind you a Old Navy 20 is not the same as an LB 20...a plus size 20 is a little fuller cut..but its a gorgeous rich brown prairie style skirt with a drawsting waist. It is a tad snug but not binding and it really looks nice on..so I am thrilled beyond belief. I tried on also 2 other skirts and 4 pairs of pants...with not much success..but something fit and I am ecstatic!!!

English Muffins..if you have Trader Joes..they carry a brand called CarbSafe...which when toasted are yummy and are 1 point for the whole muffin. They are low fat (or maybe fat-free I forget which) and have a decent amount of fiber so they are great. I also LOVE La Tortilla factory brand tortillas...whole wheat or garlic and herb flavor. I do all sorts of stuff with those..I toast em, butter em (fake spray of course), fill em..whatever..but they have a good texture and are filling.

My BF's mom is very sensitive to my food needs mainly because she is diabetic and a member of HOW (Compulsive eaters Anonymous). She has her own food demons and has had a lot of trouble lately staying on track..so when she sees her son and I doing so well...it gives her hope...so she makes suer that she is supporting our efforts..which I truly appreciate. On top of all this, my step-mom is allergic to all artificial sweeteners...so dinner will be interesting. I am supposed to bring a dessert..and was going to make my fake-cheesecake (SF/FF puding + FF sour cream) but I may just bring fruit salad instead. Tomorrow night Jason and I are meting my uncle and family for dinner which will be fun...I don't see them much since they live in Boston and they haven't met Jason yet. I am totally psyched to see my folks on Saturday. I have lost 20 more lbs since I saw them in April for the wedding.

Here is an activity for you to try:

Write yourself a postcard (give it to someone you trust to mail it to you right before Labor Day) with the following information:
1) What is your goal (weight-wise) for Labor Day?
2) What are the steps you are going to take to get there? What behaviors do you need to focus un, improve, add, etc?

I said that my goal is another 20 lbs...so a total los of 70 lbs by Labor Day and that I was going to make sure that while I am on vacation for a month that I do something active at least 5 times a week, that I do not sit in front of the TV all day and sit and eat, that I will focus on portion control and drinking water, and that I will explore the Farmers Markets and get fabulous fruits and veggies.

Our WW leader keeps telling us that all we need to do is exercise 15 minutes a day..that's what her doctor told her. We often think that we need to be doing a hour or more...which is why it never gets done, because we see that as too much and beyond our capabilities. She said that she plans to do 15 and ends up doing 30-45 instead...just because it happens that way. So that is my goal..when I am on vacation..when I wake up in the morning, I will get out of bed, put on my sneakers, and go walking. Even if I only walk to Starbucks to get a latte and back...that's still something...and I can start small and build from there.

Anyways..I have to be up early tomorrow for my nail appointment...good night fabulous chickies!!!

dogpal 06-09-2005 03:16 AM

Julee. I am so happy for you to only be a tiny tiny bit away from the goal you set for yourself. I wish I coudl give you such a big hug. That is wonderful I'm sure you will make your next goal with no problem. You go girl.

Blessings,
dogpal

Tashabella 06-09-2005 07:52 AM

Hello

Hi, everyone.

Hippygoddess ~ I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have a pinched nerve in my spine and arthritis too. I know the circle of which you speak. :spin: It never ends. But you can make progress though -- it's just in baby steps. Just try to stay focused.

I had a baby step this week and I still say I owe all of my progress to you guys. I went out two days ago and went crazy at McDonald's after a bad day at work. I ate up like 2300 calories for the whole day by the time I was through. Instead of throwing in the towel, like I have done time and time again, this time I have been reducing calories on other days to make up for it. By tomorrow, it should even out and I should still see a loss. As I understand it, this is what "normal" people do. LOL. It worked though.

It has taken me YEARS to get to this point. You can too, Hippygoddess. Just keep coming here. Someone here will strike the right chord with you and you will start to break a stride.

Everyone ~ I have to say that I visited some other sections of this site and I agree with whoever said it that this is one of the most positive groups around. This is a great place to be.

Dogpal ~ My mother does the sticks of butter thing too -- and she also does bags of sugar ("You lost two bags of sugar!"). :lol: Our moms must have both gone to WW in the '70s because I think that's where my mom got that from.

Shadie ~ That is so cool about the baby and your friend's family. I know that was a very rewarding experience for you.

Everyone, have a good day and try to focus on you today!!!

CatherineM 06-09-2005 08:17 AM

Good morning ladies, I thought I'd drop in quick before I hit the sewing machine. I'm making a baptismal blanket for the grandchild of my water aerobics instructor. It is due anyday now, and I want it to be ready for the birth incase they have to baptize in the nursery. Both parents are CF carriers, and didn't find out until after they were pregnant. They chose to not have an amnio so they wouldn't be faced with that decision. I know that they have much better prognosis now for CF babies, but any child born with a serious disease is often baptised at birth just in case. You know we crazy Catholics have lots of silly little things we do. My dad used to call it Catholic voodoo.

Hippygoddess-I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee on my 30th birthday. That led to a really enormous birthday meal. The pain from the arthritis in my back was so bad at one point that I could not stand up straight or walk more than a few feet. Using a wheelchair helped with the pain, but allowed me to slide into complete "paralysis."
I am a testament to the fact that losing weight does help. It does more than just take weight off the injury, it helps lessen the inflamation in your body. I still have pain, but the more weight I lose, and the more I move, the easier it is to deal with.

Dogpal-I just had a complete blood work up a couple of weeks ago, and everything is fine. I was on the middle peg of everything but cholesterol which is always too low. My potasium level has to be monitored because I take nitro which is potasium based. They don't want it to get too high. I have been "going" as hard as I can for as long as I can lately. Pushing myself in a way that I never have before. Not all physically, I'm not overdoing to the point of injuring myself, but I am trying to retrain my body and mind to be active. I haven't held a full time job in 13 years now. Just setting a schedule to get up and get to the pool on time has been a new experience. I vaguely remember getting up every morning for work, fighting the traffic, doing errands on my lunch hour. I'm just out of practice. It's like a separate set of muscles that I have to also get back in to shape before I can start having a normal life again. I'm having to relearn how to talk to strangers again, deal with people getting physically closer to me. I was used to people keeping at least 10 feet from me. When someone sits down on the bench next to me in the locker room, I just about jump to the ceiling. I'm not used to people in a store smiling at me. All of these things are like lifting weights in the gym. I come home exhausted from the stimulation. I saw a segment on the Early Show yesterday about two women who had lost over a 100 pounds after bypass. They talked about how hard the adjustment was because the weight came off so fast. I think, health aside, this is the main problem with gastric bypass. Taking the weight off slow is allowing me the time to make small adjustments along the way. If I had lost my entire goal of 430 pounds in less than a year, I would have been overwhelmed. Just learning to walk again has been an effort, not just physically. I catch myself watching my feet as I walk to make sure I am "doing it right." Pick up your feet, don't shuffle, don't under pronate, don't favor or limp, these things run through my head with each step. The act of putting my shoes on in the locker room after swimming takes thought. All those years the only place I put my shoes on was with one leg up on my bed so I could reach my foot. I actually have to remind myself that I can lean over now to tie my shoe. There are a 1000 things a day that I have to remind myself to do a new way. I'm embarrassed that I allowed myself to become almost bed ridden and so unproductive, but I can't allow myself the chastisment. That's in the past, and I can't change it. What I can do is climb one inch a day out of the hole I made for myself, relearn everything I have forgotten, except the old bad behaviors that put me in the hole in the first place. I am also having to learn many things that I didn't learn the first time through. So, I get tired easily. It is nice to sleep because I actually need it, and not because I am bored or depressed. And it is very nice to be able to finally recognize the difference.

Lilion 06-09-2005 09:39 AM

Good Morning Dear Ladies!

Been too busy to get any posting done to speak of the last couple of days, but I've read every post! Tomorrow we leave for our trip. I ended up with no hearings scheduled tomorrow and they let me have Friday off too...so hopefully by about noon we'll be ready to go!

I have to say hopefully, because we still have so much to do! We still need to go to the store and buy a few items. We have to finish putting grommets in the tent and shade fly I've been working on. (If I never have to maneuver a 9 ft. x 20 ft. piece of canvas though a sewing machine again it'll be too soon! What a chore!) We still have to get all the tent poles ready and organized so we can strap them on the luggage racks of the cars. I can't believe how much stuff we have to take with us! Turns out to be a pretty good thing we have to take both of our SUV's. Just packing is going to take several hours I have a feeling.

And it's supposed to rain pretty much all week. Well, I suppose soggy medieval camping is still vacation. :dunno: Stinks to wear ankle-length dresses in wet grass though.

We sat down and planned our meals - and while they aren't necessarily OP, we've done our best to come up with low-cal alternatives. We bought extra-lean hamburger patties and fat free hot dogs and chicken breasts, etc.

On the topic of bread, we LOVE Sara-Lee. They have their "deliteful" brand of breads and they are all low-fat, high fiber, low cals. Their multi-grain bread is 1 pt for 2 slices! They also have english muffins and bagels. We have found that low-carb tortillas are lower in points than low-fat tortillas. Wal-Mart sells a Momma "somebody" brand...Just terrific and only 1 pt per tortilla.

I know I'm not responding to individuals much these days...Just no time. I need to run now as a matter of fact. Congrats on the nice loss Julee and everyone else who has shown a loss! Leanne: So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. You're in my thoughts.

I'll be back Monday! Keep up the good work ladies! Onward and Downward! :D

jillybean720 06-09-2005 12:20 PM

Good news to report--I am down 2 pounds since my last weigh-in (2 weeks ago). I am now at 295.5...good lord it is coming off SLOW (been at this since February), but it's better than piling more on, so I'll take it! I have also set a new goal for myself. Through work, I am part of something called Workers Advantage that gives discounts on a lot of things. Well, they sent an email about their discount theme park tickets for Paramount parks. The price for the tickets was $26.99 each (normally $44.99 at the gate), so I thought about it for a minute, then plunged--I bought 2 tickets. My goal is to be able to use those 2 tickets and go to Paramount's Kings Dominion by Halloween. I'm not going to tell Jeff--hopefully, it'll be a surprise when I suggest we go in October (since I told him I can't go to Six Flags this month for fear of not fitting on the roller coasters!). That's my most immediate goal--plus I'm financially vested in it ($60 is a lot when you're working 2 jobs to pay the bills!). Thinking of my sister's wedding in April 2006 is some motivation, but it seems so far off--theme park season is much more tangible for me right now. Here I come, Volcano (hyraulic coaster at Kings Dominion)!!

Well, hope everyone else is doing well. I wish everyone luck with their aches, pains, and ailments--I've been sick/injured enough times to know how frustrating it is to have pain and know there's little you can do about it. The best to do is keep your spirits up, however difficult that may be. Chin up, everyone! And congrats to everyone else who's posting losses!

waterbaby 06-09-2005 01:55 PM

I'd like to slide in here with everyone, if that's okay.

I have discovered in the course of the last year that people treat us differently and sometimes not terribly well.

I can't ride rides at amusement parks, which used to be one of my favorite things to do.

My quality of life is going downhill in a hurry and I'm making lifestyle changes to stop that.

I count calories and don't eat carbs with protein. I'm feeling a little better every day. My biggest demon is sugar. It has been a form of emotional medication for many, many years and I'm finally rid of it, I think.

Sorry this post seems morose. Just thought I'd join in and at least feel more comfortable with others who share the burden of this much excess weight -- and are doing something about it!!

Your posts are very inspirational and have given me hope (I've been reading the archives, too). And I actually have a pretty wild sense of humor.... :lol:

Hope to post often, and thanks so much for these threads. I am off now to read the threads posted here about (gasp) exercise!

Oh, yes -- my screen name is waterbaby, but please call me Claire.

dogpal 06-09-2005 06:30 PM

:D Hi Everyone. I am feeling so much better. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts. I appreciate it.

Tashabella: Good job getting back on track after McD's. Yes, my mom did go to ww in the 70's along with every other thing that was available to her. The butter thing I heard here though. For me it is the only way I can get a visual right now because my loss doesn't show up very much. I know it will in time but for now butter works. :p

Hippygoddess: I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too was diagnosed with arthritus in my left hip. It is a circle because I can't walk for exercise until I take some weight off and the weight would come off better if I could walk. UGH! :dizzy: Hang in there. Perhaps you can swim for a while. It has sure helped my hip.

Shadie: Congrats on the new baby and getting to be there. How wonderful. :love:

Hippievanlady: I am glad you know all of your blood work stuff. I agree about loosing slowly because there are so many things that I will have to get used to. Like being able to feel comfortable going out of my home. It is weird how isolated I have allowed myself to get. I really feel like coming to this site is a good step in the right direction because I would have no fear at all to meet any of you ladies. :grouphug:

Lilion: Have fun on your trip and stay dry. :rain:

Jillybean: My husband and I are in a Christian Motorcycle Ministry and buying your tickets before you could use them is such a big step in faith. Good for you. We do lots of faith things and it is so wonderful and that much more fun when you get to do them. What a great secret :goodluck: and surprise for you Boyfriend.

Claire: A great big welcome to you. I think you will truly love this site. I feel so happy and blessed to have found it here. These ladies are so inspirational and uplifting. We are all here for you to listen :listen: and share :comp: .

Blessings,
Dogpal