Old 05-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#711

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hello everyone. I was not feeling very good this morning and noticed that I started to think about what I could eat that will help me feel better. So, I decided to come read the boards before I give in. Thank you all for sharing. I know that I won't just eat to be eating today thanks to your posts.

Tashabella: Good luck to you on your step towards the 200's. I myself am stepping towards the 300's which I haven't seen in many years. Someday I know that I will be where you are and I can't wait. I know it will be so amazing and wonderful when you see less than 300 on your scale as it will be for me to see less than 400 on mine!

Lillion: Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! "Weigh to go" I am so happy for your loss!

Julie: Good luck in the Revlon Run/Walk. You will do well. Just that you are going to tackle something like that is so inspirational for me. Brave ladies.

MissMelliss: I know how it feels to be working your butt off and following a diet plan thinking that you are really loosing based on how well you have been doing it and then you weigh and the scale doesn't change. Hang in there. I don't know if this is true or not but a weight loss person once told me that if you plateau sometimes it is because you were at that weight for a while on your way up and your body feels comfy or familiar there. Either way. You will break through and just don't give up. Keep on going. We are all here cheering you on.

Audrey: So sorry about your ulcer. Don't you just love it when Dr.'s tell you lovely things like that. I mean, I know they are donig their job and all but they could put things in a different way. What did it help for you to hear that you have one of the largest stomach's he has ever seen. He could have just said, Your stomach is large or something. Try not to get too discouraged. I know when you are sick it is so easy to get down and depressed. Hang in there. I will be praying for you to get better soon.

To everyone else, keep your heads up. We will achieve our dreams and goals if we just don't give up. I love all of you here so much and I thank God for this board where I finally don't feel alone. I could never before feel any good feelings about myself. I was very caught in a downhill spiral of thinking I would just die this way. Not anymore. I will not die this way. I will continue to work hard and take this weight off. AT someone's suggestion I changed my 1st goal from 497 to 180 to a shorter goal 1st. Thank you for that suggestion. It feels less scarry.

Blessings to all of you,
Dogpal,
Andrea

short goal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #3  

Good afternoon everyone

It has been kind of a crazy morning but I still wanted to get on really quick to post.

Julee- I live in Vista, Ca.....about 30 minutes north of San Diego.

Catherine wrote
Quote:
Give yourself some slack, and try to be gentle with yourself. Then view your decisions as if you were making the choice for your child and not for yourself. We will often give into ourselves about something that we would never allow our own children to do. I think that's how I was finally able to start telling myself no.
This really struck a chord with me...it's so true. I am a master of making up excuses for myself and why I should be able to do things, that I know I shouldn't and I'll get into patterns where I give in a little bit, then a bit more until I realize I've just done a complete 180 from where I wanted to be. I also find that I am a lot harder on myself than I would be on someone else or than I know other people would be on me.

WI this morning and I'm down 3 pounds from where I started last week.
I had an appointment with my rheumatologist this morning and am due for another follow up in two months. I've been trying to decide on a good short term goal, so I think I am going to aim for being under 310 by our next appointment on July 8th.

Anyway, it's time to get back to work, but have a wonderful evening.
KecharaEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! Just checking in briefly. I was off and working early this morning. I had a couple of small jobs to finish up for the week and then had to be a "showgirl" for a little bit. Just some trailer checks. I debated whether to stay and see something, but decided I would be better served by coming on home.

Honey's company is putting on a Millionaire's Party tomorrow night. I need a dye job terribly. I might even try to do my nails. I'm not terribly excited about the event. Even though I'm a very social creature, the idea of my size embarassing Honey just hurts my heart. He will/would never say anything about it. As a matter of fact, when asked, he said "Honey, it's just you." I thought that was pretty sweet.

Lots of good talk going on on the last thread. Keep up the good work everyone. Don't forget the 2x2 Challenge ends on Monday with WI (not Wisconsin). Keep focussed this weekend so that there will be some good losses to report on Monday morning. Any of you new gals that want to join in, you are welcome. We run 2 pounds in 2 weeks challenges throughout the year to keep us focussed on baby steps. The one we are in ends Monday and a new one will begin on Monday as well.

That's all at this end. I'll talk to you all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #5  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi all! It was a nice relaxing day..emergency nail appt, then work for a couple of hours to tie up some loose ends then I got to meet a friend for lunch who because of her schedule is seldom seen in daylight...we're walking together tomorrow though, but lunch with her was a true treat.

Lilion...I have never had a green thumb, in fact I'm just not good at keeping other living things...living. Maybe some day when I have a house and a yard I can think about planting something. In the meanwhile I will just envy your veggie patch from afar.

Dogpal: Thanks so much for your kids words...I read your comment too about starting with smaller goals (which I might have said). We all need to think of weight loss as a physiccal activity that we want to become very skilled at...like ice skating. Nobody does a triple axel their first day on the ice. You have to know how to lace up your skates properly before you can even attempt to skate, so why would anyone think that on day one they can achieve instant excellence? Our weight loss journeys are the same way. Before we can work on slimming down our bodies, we have to make sure that we are prepared with the right equipment..both tangible and mental. MY WW leader talks about the body being the symptom and the head being the cause.

Which leads me to what Shadiepurple said...about training myself to think before I eat. When we have a "fat mentality" there is no concept of restraint prior to eating. Eating is automatic, thought comes later if at all...and if it comes later it's usually much later. Getting to the moment when you realize that you really truly need and want to lose takes time. Most of us just mosied on along doing the same thing until one day we realized that nothing fit...or that we had to have a seatbelt extender on a plane...or we couldn't go on a ride at a theme park any more...or fit into a booth or a chair at a restaurant..whatever it was that did it. It's not quite the same as realizing that you are out of milk...either you have it or you don't...it's pretty black and white. This is different.

So we need to make sure that we have the tools before we try to tackle the job. Just as it takes a baby several (many) attempts before he actually walks...it will require us setting small goals and getting there to give us the momentum that we need to go the distance. We may fall a few times and stumble. But the resolve to get up again and keep trying is very powerful.

Ok..enough rambling for one afternoon...dinner out tonight with BF and friends. We are attempting Mongolian BBQ. I called the place and it turns outt hat they do not use any additional oil on the grill to cook. So if I do not use oils to flavor the food and only use sauces and spices I'll be able to stay OP and just not eat the rice and wontons (they make lousy wontons anyways).

Wish me luck for tomorrow...
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #6  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Audrey-I've always had trouble with my stomach on diets too. I have these horrible hiccup attacks when I am hungry. They literally feel like my stomach muscles are going to rip in two. I've had neighbors on another floor complain. I knew this time that I would have to find some way of shrinking my stomach, or I wouldn't be successful. I started by making a large pot of turkey chilli or spagetti every day, and only ate one coffee cup full every hour. I was still getting the same large amount of calories that my 600 pound body was used to, so I wasn't hungry. I started with large coffee cups, and after 6 weeks of doing this, I was down to regular size coffee cups every 3-4 hours. I tricked my body into shrinking my stomach down. Once it was smaller, I was able to start my diet. I haven't had a single hiccup episode this time. That's a first for a diet.

I was at GNC today. Needed a refill on my vitamins. There was a woman in line in front of me that broke my heart. She was buying GNC's whole lineup of weight loss stuff. I think it is called total lean. Anyway, the ladies that work there were trying to calm her down. I'm not an expert on sizes, but if I had to guess, I'd say she was around 250. Her husband was going to divorce her if she didn't lose weight. He said she was getting disgusting. The clerk knows me from church, and she say, "look at her, she has lost a bunch of weight. You can too." Nothing like being put on the spot. She wanted to know if I used the total lean stuff. I said I was using a lot of different supplements, but anything you try can work if you follow the diet and exercise plan that comes with it. I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to admit that I didn't believe in weight loss drugs of any kind. My mom put me on speed and Atkins when I was 13 to lose weight, but that's another story. I didn't want to mess up my friend's sale. After the lady left, my friend said if I lost much more weight, they were going to put before and after shots of me behind the register. And here I am trying to get smaller to stop being a spectacle.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #7  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Catherine - in response to your GNC story. . .

My God, there must be nothing worse than having your so-called loved one call you "disgusting" and threaten to divorce you if you don't lose weight. Sigh. That is just wrong.

My best friend and I were just talking about the difficulties of being a plus-size woman in a thin-crazy world today, as we often do. One of our co-workers is an extremely nice person that happens to have a gorgeous figure, yet she still has the self-esteem issue that does not discriminate. I guess she's proof that one cannot find complete happiness in their size alone.

This girl has never had an issue with her weight, and is actually shocked to hear what my friend and I have to face on a daily basis. What we all have to face here, actually. The struggle to find flattering clothes, the dirty looks people give you, being afraid to go out and enjoy life because no one seems to think you deserve it, including yourself. I brought up the story of the lady that wrote "Fat Like Me" and how shocked she was over the constant discrimination of how people automatically assuming you're lazy and that you do nothing but sit on your butt and eat all day. I also mentioned how my best friend from high school had gastric bypass and was astonished by even the way her family changed their attitude of her with her new figure. She told me that it made her sad; she's still the same old person inside, isn't she?
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #8  

Default newbie

Hello

This is my first post here

Wow! All of your posts are so inspiring! It is nice to know that others are going through the same struggles as I am.

I am 31 years old and weigh 277 pounds (my all time high was 315) I have been trying to be practical and just eat less and move more. I have been eating around 1500 calories a day (although today I was off work and I confess I ate more like 1900, lol)

My biggest struggle is portion control. Once I start eating, I just want to eat everything in sight I have been trying to keep track of the foods that seem to start my binges. For me the trigger foods are pot roast, hot dogs, pizza, ice cream and chocolate. When I start to eat any of those it is really hard to stop.

I'm gonna do my best to stay on plan and keep looking forward to the day when I can't buy clothes at Lane Bryant anymore

Beth
justonestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #9  

Default A Little About Me

Hi Again,
I just thought I should share a little about myself so you can all know where I stand with my weight situation.
Well, I never thought I would be over 400 and I was wrong. Last week I rejoined Weight Watchers. I had gone about 2 years ago..for about 3 months and then I quit because I was babysitting a 1 year old and it was too much on me to carry the baby around with me and try to do all these things I wanted to do. I had lost 25 lbs in the three months I had been there. I really liked it but physically couldnt do it any longer.
I decided to give up babysitting because I didnt feel I could give the child the quality daycare he could have..such as being active and being able to play with him once he got older. So, I still didnt return to Weight Watchers because I was so frustrated with myself over the entire situation. I guess I was subconsciously punishing myself by not returning to Weight Watchers. Sounds crazy huh? But true.
I work in healthcare and the only reason that I can do my job there is because I can sit down frequently. If not, I could not do it.
Still, I see that I cannot provide the quality care for these individuals either. I cannot do alot of things and I am to the point now that I just cannot deal with being this heavy anymore...and I dont see the numbers getting lower on the scale!
I really love Weight Watchers. I am not sure what it is that works for me but it does and thats what I am willing to go with
I rejoined Weight Watchers last week. My weigh in was 424. I wanted to throw up right there at the stress of how much I need to lose and how long it would take me to do it. Then, I realized...I can just eat and stress over it and add more ..or I could do something about it. There is nothing to stress over if I am doing this now...it can only get better!
My friend, Shadiepurple, is nice enough to share my frustrations and counsil me on the spot, lol. (Thank God for cell phones) lol. She is the only one who really, truly understands how it feels to feel this way and to live this way, out of all my friends.
She has came to a turning point in her life as well. As she has, she has found all of you and the wonderful support you all share here and wanted me to have the same experience, as she knows how much it is needed.
I am excited to join and I am glad you all welcomed me so nicely. Thank you.
I do have a question..is there a certain day that you all weigh in..I weigh in on Mondays at Weight Watchers..so, do I just post like I did here or is there a spot to put our wiegh in at each week?
Thanks again for listening...and letting me write a book! haha
Talk to you all soon! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
TwinkledPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:12 AM   #10  
Determined to Lose!!!

O Catherine, I'm so sorry that happened to you at GNC! Why is it that people think they can just lift an overweight person up as a spectacle and highlight a personal problem in public spaces???? I don't know but I am sick and tired of it! We work so hard not to treat say disabled people like this, but somehow 'fat' just seems to translate to 'blame'.

Maybe when you lose your weight you can tell your GNC friend just what you said here, 'You're losing weight not to be a spectacle!'

Justone: Welcome!

Twinkle: I'm a bit confused about weigh in day as well... but there is a board for that... will go and read it and try to figure it out lol I think the 2x2 challenges are a weigh in every other Monday with the actual challenge being to lose 2 lbs!
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! Just a quickie as I've had color on my hair for 1/2 an hour and I think it's (my hair) ready to fall out by now.

Justonestep: Welcome. Glad you're joining us.

Ok, girls, here's the scoop. There are several threads in this area including a Weekly Weigh In, Exercise Today and Calorie Counts. You are all more than welcome to post in any of them, whatever makes you feel more accountable.

Some of us, myself included, have busy lives and do not have time to read in all of the threads and stick more to just reading this one so if you would like to post weights, exercise and calories or that you followed your program today, you can do that here as well or instead of all the other little threads. YOUR choice.

The 2X2 Challenge is run every two weeks. The goal is to lose 2 pounds in 2 weeks rather than focussing on the large numbers that we all have as a long-term goal. Terri (determinedtosucceed) is the one who is keeping track of the numbers. The group is trying to lose 300 pounds this year and we're very close to that already so we may have a need to change up that goal soon.

This Monday, May 9th is the end of the current 2x2 and the beginning of the next one. Once Monday rolls around you will see that someone will start the sign up for the next 2x2. At that point you can join the next challenge by copying the list of those who've signed up and adding your name to the bottom of the list. At the same time you should be PMing the results of this current 2x2 to Terri.

I hope this made sense to everyone. If you have any other questions, just holler.

Gotta run and get this color off my head while I still have some hair. Our big shindig is tonight so I'll be gone until tomorrow. Love ya bunches.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 333/220/185

Height: 5'10

Hey Ladies,
how is everyone? I'm feeling a little better. started some new meds, my ulcer is bleeding so I hope this helps to heal it.
I made up my mind that know matter what Iam going to suceed this time, so I'm going to stay o/p know matter what! and I've learned that eating all that" junk food" might have stopped the pain for a min. but in the long run caused a larged problem and much, much more pain.

Hipplevanlady; thank-you for the idea! I,m going to make big pot of soup and eat that every hr.

Twinklepink; welcome! you've come to the right place! we're all here for each other and that is the differents in success and failure!!!!!!

HAPPY MOMS DAY LADIES, just think how good you're going to feel, cause you stayed o/p Audrey
detroitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #13  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

I FINISHED THE REVLON RUN/WALK!!! And it felt great...although not being able to find the car and getting lost on the USC parking lot aftrewards was not so much fun but we endured. Then the group decided they were going to go for pizza afterwards, so I had them drop me at my car instead. I got a little POed because after it was over, they had snack boxes..that were a bag of chips, a candy bar and a fruit cup. No fresh fruit anywhere and no protein. I nibbled at the fruit and drank lots of water. I hadn't had time to eat a proper breakfast before we left this morning (overslept) but I had an apple so that was something.

In any case...it was great and I feel awesome...except for the raw spot on the back of my ankle where my shoe rubbed against it for 3 miles.

THANKS SCOOTER FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! And thanks to everyone else for your well wishes and kindness!!!

Re: 2x2 WIs...I WI at WW on Wednesdays so I figure out where I fit in to the schedule...but it works.

HAPPY DAY!!!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #14  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Hey chicks
I havent posted in a few days due to the fact i am working my butt off, lol! I am happy to report a 3lb wt loss from the last time i weighed. I was doing so well last fall, getting dwn to 216, but i gained about 15lbs back snce then. I have been doing well with my food and excersise this week.
Welcome to all the new posters You will find much information and encouragement here. I hope everyone has a great mother's day.
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #15  

Greetings Ladies!

It's been a busy day for me and I'm sure all of you as well. I've done okay for food today. Going out to dinner to Red Lobster tonight. MMMMmmm - cheddar bay biscuts. I'm limiting myself to 2 and grilled/broiled something.

Yesterday we were "bad" and had bratwurst for dinner. But I counted every point and didn't go over. So all's well I suppose.

Dogpal: A smart idea to change your goal to something do-able. WW suggests 10% of your total weight. I think that's great. You'll see that mine is 19 lbs. That's what I needed to get a total of 50 when I started it. I like the shorter goals. Seems way better to say "I need to lose 25 lbs" 6 times in a row, than to say "I need to lose 150 lbs."

KecharaEQ: on the loss.

Justonestep: Welcome! I'm sure you'll find lots of support here!

Twinkledpink: I thnk you have to come to a turning point in your life to make any major change. I know that my whole attitude toward losing weight has been different this time and I'm sure I can do this long-term. I'm so glad you and Shadypurple are in this together. It'll make it much easier. My husband and I are doing this together.

Julee: CONGRATULATIONS! What a great accomplishment!

I weigh in on Fridays and I just use that total number for my Monday 2x2 challenge. Doesn't matter when you weigh.

Gotta run, Later ladies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote