Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good evening ladies,

Dogpal - Regarding calling attention to myself with special food, I just said it was for me and I'd share if others wanted it and if they didn't, no big deal. I told them that I need to eat healthier than hot dogs and chips. If folks didn't want that kind of food, then they didn't have to eat what I brought. If anyone says anything, I just say, this is how I eat now. So there! You can do it too. Just hold your head high about your improved eating habits because YOU are the one doing the right eating!

Regarding insurance companies - I work for one and I am responsible for the health trust for our employee benefits. I see both sides. Recently, one of the spouses of an employee, ended up in the hospital. It ended up costing the company over $400,000 and it was all weight related. He had gotten up to over 500 pounds but he had gained and lost several hundred pounds at a time until it finally took a huge toll on his body. It was the way he went about it and the speed that he did it at that caused the damage. Companies are offering now more educational services such as smoking cessation, reduced WW fees, and online health classes in order to help people learn to live healthier behaviors. People often forget that insurance companies are in business to make a profit and that insurance is to indemify you for a loss - not preventive measures. It becomes more and more of a double-edged sword as the nation becomes fatter and more unhealthy. Please take this as friendly, general discussion; not as an insult to anyone's comments!

Welcome home, Judy! You'll have to fill us in on the fun!

Sorry ladies for not doing other replies. I'm tired from the evening and need to get to bed. The alarm clock goes off early.

Good night!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #17  

Red face

Hi gang...

Well, I exercised 2 days in a row. That's something. And I've moved my counter to account for the weight I've regained. Not too bad--I've basically maintained since the start of the year, which isn't where I'd like to be, but not the end of the world either.

Thin--Sounds like a work fest for you. Glad #1 son could come along for some of it. Thanks for the hugs. I need em. The inquest determined that it was suicide. Not much doubt--he took an entire bottle of prescription sleeping pills, plus a bottle of over-the-counter sleeping pills. It's sad, sad stuff. I haven't looked back to see what I wrote before, but the first couple of weeks were busy busy--I took over one of his classes, his family flew in and wanted to talk to friends, we had a memorial service, etc. Last week his crazy almost-ex-wife came in (drunk) and caused a scene in front of students and had to be removed by security. The busy-ness is bad, cause nothing else gets done and life is crazy, but it's also good cause it keeps me distracted. When it gets quiet is when I realize I've still got a lot of emotional work to do. I'm sorry for him, and sad, and angry, and I wish I had done a million things differently, and I know I'm not responsible, and I miss him like crazy. Anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't run on about this, since it's really off-topic, but that's the short version of what's been going on--thanks for asking. Venting seems to be the main thing I'm capable of these days. (In fact, venting here encouraged me to find another way to vent in writing... visit http://goodbye-mts.blogspot.com/ if you really want more of this morbid stuff.)

Terri--Hope you got a good night's sleep.

Hope everyone else is well.

Last edited by Angela_aka_Alice; 05-03-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 AM   #18  

Good morning chickies, I don't have a thing to talk about, but I wanted to check in. I am not without words very often, but this morning I am a total blank! I will back when my brain is fuctioning! Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good morning ladies. Thank you for the input on hotdogs and keeping my head held high. I do have trouble with that. Besides the Dr and swimming I haven't been out of my house for 4 months. I am taking medicaiton for this panic disorder/agoraphobia thing. I really feel better since coming here and talking to all of you. There have just been so many things that I'm sure some of you can relate to that are so embarassing and hurtful. My self esteem is growing and I thank you for the encouraging words.

Hippyvanlady, I could totaly picture myself hanging like a horse to be weighed. It really made me laugh. , not at you but at the image of myself doing it. Sometimes I watch football with my husband and I hear the announcers saying " oh number 68 is such a big guy weighing in at 260 pounds" I think to myself gosh, I would be so happy right now if I weighed 260 pounds. Now, instead of just thinking about it, I am doing something about it.

I will check back in later. I hope you all have a blessed and fruitful day.
Dogpal

Last edited by dogpal; 05-03-2005 at 09:44 AM.
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #20  
Dancing those pounds away

Good morning ladies. I don't have anything to talk about either... but wanted to check in too. I still have not unpacked my suitcase so you can see what I have planned for today. I have been home several days... but had company every day too.
Today is my first day home alone.

Yesterday was my first day back on program and it went well.
Need to drink more water today.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #21  

Good Morning- Just a quick little update. I am still managing to stay OP and have gotten past April successfully. I always seem to lose my motivation and inspiration to get healthy this time of year. This year has been different and I really think that this site and all of you have a great deal to do with my current success. I hadn't been exercising much and I really saw the effects when I was only losing a pound a week. But I am stepping it up now and did a good 30-45 minutes of exercise last night (20 on the elliptical and the rest in the yard). I am borrowing a book called Punk Rock Aerobics and a friend of mine is thinking of starting a class for it at the Gay/Lesbian Comm. Center he works at. I think it will be great...I keep having to hit the mute button and turn on my own tunes anyways...so I might as well have fun with it.
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #22  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies

It is a lovely day in Mid-MO. A little cool, at about 50 degrees, but that just means I don't perspire! The sun is shining and work is shaping up okay (knock on wood).

Too cute: I also need to drink more water. It's really amazing to me how much that helps with the weight loss. It's also really sad that that is the first thing to slip with me, especially if I'm out and about. I just refuse to pay for water, so I end up buying soda. Stupid huh?

Dogpal: I don't know if I welcomed you personally, but Welcome! We're happy to have you here. I find it helpful to break up your first goal into mini-goals, like 10-30 lbs at a time by a certian date. It was one of the first suggestions I got here and it was a really good one.

Angela: Venting is a good thing and you know we don't mind! I hope things get easier.

Terri: No offense taken. I can only see what our HMO's do and don't pay for. It just seems to me that paying for some prevention would be smarter than paying for later treatment. I suppose I got that attitude when I was a smoker and my Dr. had to sneak in Zyban in a generic and say I needed an anti-depressant in order to get help stopping smoking. To be perfectly honest, I never filled the prescription, I hate taking pills and have a fear of "mood-altering" type drugs. I know they are wonderful things for those who need them, I just can't imagine taking them myself. DH ended up doing that to help him quit though and it just bugs me that he has a medical record that says he needed anti-depressants when what he was being treated for was smoking, not depression. Doesn't cancer treatment cost more than the patch? Ah well, I'm not in the insurance industry. I'm sure there's a lot of child support laws that don't make sense to most folks, but make perfect sense to me.

I was pretty good yesterday food-wise, right up until about 8 p.m. I'd only had 26 points and ended up with some pretzels and peanut butter as a snack and racked up another 7 pts there...total of 33. I suppose that's still okay, now that I've done the math, I thought it was higher last night. Only drank one bottle of water yesterday though. I really need to work on that.

I had my oatmeal this morning and have stew and the best cantalope for lunch. The best thing about summer is fresh produce! I'm still trying to get some vegetables planted. I have this wonderful, 17' long trellis that I plan on putting green beans, cucumbers, snow peas and cantalope on and then I have space for some more veggies too, I'm thinking lettuce, tomato, peppers and maybe a zucchini or two. I know it's getting way too late for lettuce and peas, but I'll give them a try. Any other gardeners here? It's so much easier to diet when there's fresh veggies available.

Well, I've spent entirely too long on the computor and need to get back on track at work...so bye for now. I'll check in on my favorite ladies later!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #23  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Good afternoon chicks Hope everyone is doing good. Today is a beautiful, sunny breezy day, not to hot or cold. I am working, unfortunately, lol.
Dogpal: congratulations on taking the steps to reclaiming your health. I have personally been in the same situation as you describe, not wanting to leave the house, worried about calling attention to myself, etc. You can do this, just take each day one day at a time, and remember, you have everyone here to cheer you on I am doing well with food and excersise, and i am going to make myself weigh this week. i have this thing about not weighing to frequently, the ups and downs depress me. my clothes are getting looser, so hopefully i have lost.
Well, everyone have a great day
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 333/220/185

Height: 5'10

Hello ALL!
Just wanted to run in and see how everyone is doing and get my dose of motivation! things are going as well as to be expected. being o/p is a habit now. and sometimes when I'm thinking about a little "something" I quicky remind my self that this is for survival, and that brings me back to realitity!
Audrey
detroitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #25  
Dancing those pounds away

Taking a break from cleaning, washing and unpacking.

Lilion... Quote: Too cute: I also need to drink more water. It's really amazing to me how much that helps with the weight loss. It's also really sad that that is the first thing to slip with me, especially if I'm out and about. I just refuse to pay for water, so I end up buying soda. Stupid huh?

How well I remember having that same way of thinking about "Paying for water".
I finally started using it as a way of saving money. When I go to restaurants I order water instead of pop. FREE. Even at fast food restaurants is you order a glass of water (not a bottle) it is usually free then too. A few places charge you a dime for the cup... but not many. I buy a few bottles of water but then I refill them at home so I can carry them around with me in the car.
I think WATER is one of the BEST weight loss tools around. I too am amazed what a difference it makes.
Those few bottles of water I buy.... I had to white knuckle in the beginning.... but now I just accept it as a fact. No negoiating... DRINK WATER ... even if I have to pay.

Andrey.... quote: being o/p is a habit now. ... sometimes when I'm thinking about a little "something" I quicky remind my self that this is for survival, and that brings me back to realitity!

I like that feeling too. When it comes natural is great... but when it doesn't... reminding yourself it is for survival. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Okay... gotta run. Lots more to do around here.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #26  
Shadiepurple

Greetings beautiful people! I have no idea how to make these entries, but I am very happy to be here. This is the first time I've tried anything like this. I am inspired by the support you give each other here. I haven't started any plan or program at this time, but this is far from my first attepmt to minimize myself. I am planning lap band surgery in the future and would love to hear some input from anyone that would like to share. I am 41 yrs old, stay at home 425lb mom that needs to get well. I have a wild sense of humor so anyone replying...beware!! LOL. Thanks for your time.
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #27  

Hello all,
I've been looking for a good support group, and after reading your forums I'm hoping I will find it here. Let me tell you a bit about myself. I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember and have been on diets many times with varying amounts of success. My last attempt was about 5 years ago. I started at 273 lbs and was able to get down to 225 lbs and stayed in the 225 range for about 3 months. I became frustated because it seemed that, no matter what I did, I could not break the 220 mark and eventually gave up. It started slowly, first I told myself that I already knew what I should be eating, so I stopped counting calories. Then the one soda, as an occasional treat, became one daily then went to two etc. (My two greatest problem areas are sugar and caffiene.)
I'm 34 years old and heavier than I have ever been at 327 pounds. I've found that I get tired easily and that it has become increasing difficult for me to do even normal activities. Over the past few months I've also found out that I am developing rheumatoid arthritis, which is a big factor in why I have decided that I need to lose weight...I'm afraid that if I keep going the direction I am now, I will get to the point that I won't be able to do even normal activities.
As for what I'm doing, I've decided to begin with counting calories again...it's time consuming but it was working for me before and I feel like I seem to cheat less when I have a menu plan to follow. I am working it around 1800 calories and more than anything trying to keep it balanced. I am also working on replacing soda with water and being sure to drink enough water each day.
Anyway, that's me...I'm looking forward to talking to you all soon.
KecharaEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #28  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Lilion-I also object to buying water. I am a skinflint to the core. Besides, our local water system draws from the same spring that Perrier draws its Zephyrhills spring water from. That said, I live in an old building, and don't like the way the water tastes out of the faucet. I use sugarfree koolaid. The Walmart brand is cheaper than soda, and it gets me to drink much more water. Sugar-free Tang actually makes me thirsty, and I drink a bunch more.

I do love stirring things up. My HMO pays for YMCA membership, but no weight loss drugs or smoking secessation. I think for the most part, insurance companies are playing catchup. This obesity thing snuck up on them. Plus, everything costs so much more. In 1978, I had the ligaments reconstructed in my ankle. It was a pretty new surgery at the time. The entire bill including hospital stay and rehab was under $600. Today, $25,000 minimum for the whole deal. My water aerobics instructor said her personal health insurance went up last month from $500 to over $800. She said her pay did not go up by the same amount. I suspect our entire health care system is fixin' to go through some serious changes.

Since this is Tuesday, here are some tips for cultivating a positive attitude.

1. Take reponsibility for your attitude. Refuse to let your feelings or circumstances rule you.

2. Laugh at your mistakes and accept your shortcomings. Take your responsibilities seriously, but don't take yourself seriously. Acknowledge disappointments and move on.

3. Keep a happy journal. Write down one thing that happens each day that makes you smile. Relish in the simple pleasures you find daily.

4. Nourish your body. Avoid chronic crankiness by getting enough sleep on a consistent basis. Do something active that you enjoy to get your blood pumping.

5. Look to the future expectantly. Make plans to reach your dreams and desires, and set realistic goals for yourself. Embrace new ideas and experiences and stop yourself when you begin to worry.

Remember anger and unhappiness raises your level of cortisol, which in turn will make it harder to lose weight. Encase yourself in one of Catherine's "bubbles of calm" today. Don't let anyone who's negative peirce your bubble. Having an optimistic personality is one of the main characteristics of people who live to be 100 years old, and I hope to celebrate my 100th birthday in only 57 more years.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #29  

I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't drink water at all! I'm just cheap!

9 times out of 10 if I'm out at a sit-down meal, I ask for a large glass of water and don't even bother with tea or soda. I must admit, I never thought of it at fast-food places, because they usually charge for anything but the small cups. I also fill bottles with water at home, usually left-over sports drink or water bottles that I've bought for my son. I carry those to work with me. I have a liter-size one I especially like. I drink it at home too, also in refilled bottles. DH and I are people who just always have to have something to drink at hand. Used to be diet coke, but now it's often water or caffine free diet coke. We actually started the refilling because DS has suffered from chronic constipation since he was a baby and getting enough water in him is the only thing that helps and he likes the bottles. So I've spent 9 years yelling at him to drink water and buying bottles of water instead of soft drinks for him when we're in the car and on the road. I've actually made drinking water one of his daily chores! He won't drink ANYTHING unless you make him. There's actually been days when I've asked him at dinner at 6:00 at night if he'd had anything to drink that day and had him tell me NO. Not a drop. Not even a drink from a water fountain. Weird kid.

But I digress...the real reason that I end up not drinking enough water is on days when I run a dozen errands and end up buying soda's all day to drink in the car, or this weekend, when we went to the friend's for BBQ. We took our own soda, but I never even thought about a glass of water at their house. And I'm not even sure my son had anything to drink at thier house now that I think about it - Bad Mommy! So it slips my mind if I'm not prepared with bottles of my own or sitting down in a restaurant. And basically it's cheapness. I hate paying $1.00 to $2.00 a bottle for something that comes free (well, except for the bill once a month) from my kitchen tap. Which is stupid when I'm not above buying water for my son!

I just LOVE diet coke. Thankfully, I've gotten used to caffine free, so it isn't so bad for me. When I was pregnant, diet coke was the only thing I craved and I was SO GLAD when my Dr. told me I could have some! It's a total addiction, but at least it is diet. People found it amusing when a 300 lb woman would order a banana split and a diet coke, but I haven't drank anything but diet soda since I was 15 and I just can't stand regular. Thank heaven. My friend with diabetes is slowly going insane without her soda pop fix!

Did you all drink your water today? (I'm only 1/2 way there!)

Last edited by Lilion; 05-03-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #30  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Ahhh water. I was raised on tap and still drink tap and really don't notice the taste..but I do get bored and sometimes I want something with some flavor (outside of lemon). So I actually pay for fancy flavored water...my favorite is Propel and I know that it's on the Core program. I also love the Crystal Light on the Go, which are smaller envelopes of the powder. I have a 32 oz water bottle that is my constant companion and I know that it takes 2 envelopes for the bottle. The Raspberry Ice flavor is really yummy..I haven't found it to have a funky aftertaste and it makes the water thing more palatable some days. I know that on weekends when my days are not as structured I have a hard time getting in all of my water. Sometimes I will resort to hot tea...which, as my enlightened (and uber-picky) boyfriend put it, is "dirty water." Having the water bottle with me with the measurements on it has really helped me. I know that I have to empty it twice before the day is out. It's just another part of my day. Not to be crass, but the other way I remember to drink is that I drink till I pee clear...then I know I've had enough.

My first week on WW, with all the water, I think I peed close to 9 times a day...no exaggeration. However it also did not take long for me to see results from just this part of the program. My ankles had always been very puffy and edemic. I hated that and the type of pain that most socks would put me in. After about 2 weeks I realized that I had ankles again...which was pretty darn exciting.

Good luck with the water...and everything else!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote