Old 12-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #1  
Hang In There

Default What was your most unusual Christmas Gift?

I got really unusual gift from my Son#1/DIL/GS and it prompted me to start this thread. Did anyone else get any out of the ordinary gifts that you would like to share. It can be a gift you love, or a gift you hate, or one that brought no emotion at all.

I loved mine, let me tell you about it. The tag said:

inno"SCENT"
Creation
Scenter Wax dipped
bears and critters
The Cuter Air Freshner
Yeph, it was a teddy bear dipped in scented wax!!! It is really cute and the scent is "SHOWER FRESH" You just sit it out on a counter etc and it makes the whole house smell fresher. The instructions go on to say that when the scent dies out, just "refresh" your bear by using a blow dryer for a minute. If I cant get my act together I'll try to post a picture of it la
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

No weird, strange or funny gifts here. But I did get the first season of Survivor on DVD. It's the only one we didn't see. The "baby" thought it would be fun to watch and see how people behaved before they got the hang of outwitting, outplaying and outlasting everyone else.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #3  

My mother in law (DH and I got married in June) got me a $25 Walmart gift certificate. Not really strange or unusual, but a little impersonal for your daughter in laws first chrismtas gift??? AND....I HATE WALMART! I am a target girl. hehehehehe
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #4  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Does a Christmas stocking full of pennies count in the odd category? My dad usually includes a note or something so we can figure out the significance of his gifts, but this one didn't come with an explanation. I'll ask him as soon as I am well enough to venture out.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #5  
BELIEVE!

How about a silver dolphin bottle opener? Not sure I understand that one - especially since I am not frequently opening bottles that require an opener.

I fully believe the saying, "It's the thought that counts", but sometimes I wonder what people are thinking. We got some odd things this year.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #6  

Default I hear you

and boy do I agree.

My husband's family was together before christmas asking what each other wanted....next thing you know they are just telling each other what stores to get a gift cert.

That was almost all they exchanged this year.

I had said to DH, at this point it's like putting cash in a card, I don't get it. I had suggested they do like my family did the last two years....no gifts.

It made things so much nicer. Less stress, as well as some of us are having a harder time money wise so no one has to feel bad. We had set a rule that only maybe homemade gifts would be ok as some of us are crafty and just enjoy making stuff, or like I did this year, I went to Boscovs and got just a little bit of the "GOOD" chocolates for Mom and Sis, their favorites, then a pound of fudge for the "HOUSE".

This way we just spend the time with each other and enjoy the day.
SEARCHING4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:44 AM   #7  

PS. I was a good girl and didn't have any fudge!!! Nothing! : lol:

Hey look!!! I finally got the tracker done right!!

Oh, and the odd gift? At the time I thought it ok, My sister in law gave me (wrapped as a gift) the magazine that they sell at the clothing stores, the one that has a couple little "articles" but is mostly a thick advertisement for Catherines and Fashion bug and Lane Bryant? Well, I went today with my mom and sister to Fashion bug, and went to cut out the coupon for there and ta da!! It was already cut out!

This is SOOOOO her. Hey, I wouldn't mind it if she gave it to me saying, she bought it for the Fashion bug coupon and thought I might like the other coupons and hey, the last article was really good and she thought I would like to read it...or even she was going to throw it away anyhow, so enjoy, but no, that was just tacky.

I did say to my sister that maybe, just maybe, the store messed up and gave away one that a customer had already used the coupon out of but I do find that Highly unlikely. Sad to say this does truely seem like something she would do. And definitaly not feel wrong about. what a goof ball!

Last edited by SEARCHING4ME; 12-29-2004 at 01:15 AM.
SEARCHING4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:57 AM   #8  
Determined

Nothing too too wierd here I mostly got what I "Asked" for. A small dumbbell set, wrist/ankle weights, and a digital camera. My brother and sisinlaw bought me an adorable bunny with bubble bath which is wierd since I don't have a bathtub but not really. My mother also made me a bag of "when you get poor" full of goodies like toilet paper, q-tips, shaving cream, etc. Which was kindve silly since I have Tons of those things - and almost no food ;p

Nothing else really strange though My mom is bringing my grandmothers presents back home after their vacation - so maybe something wierd then.. .but then again I asked for turpentine for oil painting that is.
cdtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #9  

Evilyn - My daughter got a similar gift for her bday once, it was an obviously already read magazine of the Tiger Beat variety. At least the kid that gave it to her took the time to wrap it.

The most unusual gift I got -my SIL got one also- was from a second sister-in-law who was a makeup hound that made Tammy Faye Baker look like a natural woman. It was a basket full of the free samples that you get when you buy pricey makeup in a department store. I didn't know how to take this, she had obviously been buying cosmetics for herself all year and throwing the freebies in these baskets for us. Did she think we were unattractive, or was it a cheap solution to a gifting problem? Or maybe she was cleaning out her makeup suitcase.... Anyway, she is no longer married to Hubby's brother, so I can't reciprocate with giving her my used diet books. -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote