Old 12-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#610

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

All right ladies and gentleman: We are going to try this one more time. The previous two threads have been deleted with approval from the powers that be.

I will continue to delete anything off-topic, nonsupportive or argumentative. Those things are not what this site was intended for. They are not what any of us are here for. If you can't be nice, then don't be here!!!!

Now let's get on with some holiday spirit.

Andria: Would you please start us in song once again?
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #3  

Smile

I guess I shouldn't be posting this either - but since I have already started,
Skit, the Bears may have won but the Vikings LOOK better!!!

I won't ever mention football again.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #4  
Leanne

Unhappy Struggling

To be honest I haven't really wanted to post on here while all the angst was going on - I have strong opinions on both of the things that have come up, but I don't really want to cause ripples, and besides I have enough angst/stress in my own life right now without getting into arguments with people I know online!

I have also been struggling with one of the four parts of the christmas challenge - the staying on plan part. The other three I have done every day - even went for a long walk on Saturday which is my day off from the pool usually (they have kids swimming lessons there all day), and did an extra day in the pool so I had 7 days exercising last week. But ...... I have been stressed about this thesis, and I find I tend to 'pick' while I'm writing ... write a bit, wander around the house thinking, wander into the kitchen, eat something without thinking about the food, wander back, write some more, repeat. As a result I've been just a little over my target calories each day - which is a real bummer when I'm doing well with everything else on the 'nice' side.
So yesterday I went and bought a lot of fresh fruit and vegies - stone fruits have just come into season here and I bought some apricots, peaches and nectarines, as well as a couple of ya pears and some bananas. Yesterday I 'picked' at apricots and managed to stay within my target calories - yay - first day I've managed four out of four!!!!

Now for the bad news - I went to drive out to the pool this morning, and my car started misbehaving - so I turned around and came home - missed out on the pool AND my dietician appointment
The car needs some big repairs, but if I do them now, I will be using up all of my moving money, and that means I will be stuck here for some time while I try to save up to move. If it can last until I move, I will be in a better-paying job and will be able to afford the repairs. Arrgghh life is never simple, is it! I want to get this thesis done, and get on with life-after-uni but the more I stress, the harder it is to write.

Anyway, enough moaning from me - I hope everyone is having a more successful christmas challenge than I am!

Leanne
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #5  
BELIEVE!

Hey Gang!

I missed the last thread so I honestly don't know what to say, but the vibe is just not good right now and I hope it's short term.

Leanne - You are doing so well with your exercise and it sounds like you are really making a great effort with your food choices. I know exactly what you mean about the difficulty staying on plan. That has been my struggle lately as well. We can do it!

I'm happy to report that this morning when I got up the first thing I did was hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then I spent most of the day shopping and running around, then baked a couple pans of lasagna. I am taking dinner over to one of our neighbors this week.

Now I am going to relax with my sweetie for the rest of the evening.

Oh, and the EAGLES kicked some Green Bay Butt! WOO HOO!!!

Talk to you later.
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:34 PM   #6  
I'm on my way!

Yeah Barb...so did the PATRIOTS! I would love to see the patriots and eagles go to the superbowl together this year! They came so close in I think 2001...but of course the Eagles....chooooked!!
MichelleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Lucky, ummm.... Vikings look better? Have you seen those Capitol One commercials? HAH!!, Bears are cuddlier.

And yes the Eagles kicked some Packer butt. I may live in Wisconsin, but I am not a head.

Now, what did I do today. I washed so much clothes today and packed away all summer clothes and non-fitting clothes. My goal is to be able to fit into all of the clothes by this summer. My hunny and I went looking through some stores for things we will need for the house so I got plenty of exercise today. I have not eaten well today though. I had icecream because I have a bit of a sore throat and well that is a bad excuse. I have journaled some today and I rode my bike 5.5 miles yesterday. All in all, not too bad considering.

Leanne, Stuff happens at the worse times doesn't it. I hope that your car can make it until you move. Good Luck. My Christmas Challenge isn't going that good either right now.

Well, I think I've said enough today. So see ya on motivational Monday. I have to go find something Motivational.

Skitt
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #8  
a work in progress...

Default What's your favorite holiday song?

The radio stations around here are playing Christmas music 24/7...there is no escaping the fact that the Christmas season is upon us! I wouldn't listen to the holiday stations before, trying to keep the season at bay, but today while I was driving all over the place, doing errands, something happened.....

Maybe it was the heady scent of the Christmas wreaths in the back of the car, or the sight of the bright pointsettias on the floor, next to me...every other car that I passed had a Christmas tree tied to it's roof. As the sun went down, and the houses all over town were lit up with their holiday finery, I thought..."Yep, it's really here! Time to switch over..."

SO...off went the classic rock station, on went the holiday tunes! The first song I heard is one of my absolute favorites, "Happy Christmas/War is Over" by John and Yoko.

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun.

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The road is so long

And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Without any fear
War is over over
If you want it
War is over
Now

So...what's YOUR favorite Christmas song?

Last edited by katrinabgood; 12-05-2004 at 11:10 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:32 PM   #9  
Inchworm

Default Thanks thin

New beginings are good!
Even in our weight loss journey, it is great that each day is a new beginning! I'm failing miserably already with the Xmas challenge!
and talk about Xmas spirit!! KAT! I just came from the 'Community Choir Christmas Musical'! WOW!
It was AWESOME! and ended with a very Joyful JOy To the World. so for the moment that is my favorite Xmas song. When we walked out side to leave, the snow was falling really a lot! and continued to fall and is only getting heavier, it was such fun to drive home on snow covered roads, that noone had been on yet, since the snow began. (Can you tell I am new tothis snow business?)
Tomorrow morning will be a different story when I have to drive myself to Physical therapy

Last edited by gmalil; 12-06-2004 at 12:55 AM.
gmalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:40 AM   #10  
a work in progress...

And when you have to shovel the pretty white stuff!

Is this your first snow, Joyce? Where are you from, originally? A snow-free place? I love snow! (Even shoveling it!) That would really clinch it for me in the Christmas department!

One year ago this weekend, we had a HUGE snowstorm...very unusual for this time of year...around here, anyway.

Anyway, have fun!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:50 AM   #11  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Ack! I just woke up and decided to pop in for a really quick read before work. Could someone else start up the Sing Along? Please, please?! I mean, I love you all, but doing a longer post would mean not getting a shower!

I'll catch up again tomorrow afternoon. I work tonight and go straight from work to therapy in the morning.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #12  
Inchworm

Default A Calif native!

KAT..We just moved to Idaho this summer.
We truly are loving this snow...it is amazing to watch the different sized flakes falling! I'm a kid again at 63!
gmalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #13  
Dancing those pounds away

Smile Christmas Cheer !!!

I am cheerful I was out of town and have NO IDEA what went on while I was gone.... nor do I want to. LOL

Leanne... CONGRATULATIONS on your first "4 NICE".
That was a great plan to go fill up the house with healthy legal snacks.
Those darn exercise "naughtey's" are kicking my butt.
I made a commitment to all of you in the Christmas Challenge Thread to PROMISE to earn all 4 Monday.

In fact ... that can be my Monday Motivation.
I am going to exercise !!! If I can ... anyone can. I am soooooo bad at that one... and it is one of the most important for me.

I too am having car problems. I took in for a quick look by a mechanic and he doesn't know how much it will cost or how long to fix. Geeze... that helps a lot. What I heard was.... "It will take forever and cost you an arm and a leg"

BarbPA... I am going to be baking several pans of lasgana next weekend. I am having a housefull of company here for my sister's birthday. Lasagna is always good for large groups. If I do say so myself... I like my lasagna. I am making a FULL FAT FULL FLAVOR for some... and a HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE for the rest of us. LOL Looks like I will be earning my bonus for the week by modifying a recipe.

Skittles... WOW !!! Riding 5.5 miles. Way to go !!!!
You are going to be soooo happy when you unpack all of those clothes next summer and they are TOO BIG !!! Well they will be as long as you don't get too many sore throats this winter. LOL
I got a huge smile on my face while reading about your cure.
What is so funny is... I could relate. LOL

JOYce ... your description of driving home on fresh snow sounded soooo BEAUTIFUL !!
Last year when we had our first snow before Christmas (unusual for OKLA) I got in my car and drove around looking at house lights and decorations and it was just so awesome. There is nothing prettier than a snow covered field with the sun glistening on the snow.

Kat... Your description of today sounded like a Rockwell painting. Ahhh !!
You ask what our favorite Christmas song is... well ... tonight it sounds like the least favorite song is....
"He's making a list... checking it twice... gonna find out ... who's naughty and nice "

OKAY ladies... It is time to GET SERIOUS ABOUT OUR WEIGHT LOSS !!! COMMITMENT AND DISCIPLINE !!
I am probably the worst on the challenge so far.
BUT THAT IS CHANGING AS OF TODAY !!!
We CAN do this. We CAN drink water with our meals. We CAN follow our healthy food plans. We CAN !!! We CAN !!! We CAN !!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING !!!
THINK POSITIVE !!!! TALK POSITIVE !!! DO POSITIVE !!!

CD.. a short brisk walk can do wonders for your alertness while studying.
Barb... follow Leanne to the fruit section and find you some healthy snacks.
Skittles... buy some sugar free throat lozenges.
Joyce... you and Kat keep singing joyfully because you can't eat and sing at the same time.

That's a good idea for all of us. Everytime we want to eat off program... start singing !!!
Joy to the World.... I Wish You a Merry Christmas.... Jingle Bells... whatever.
Make a commitment to yourself... or better yet... to your fellow challengers in here ... to sing a Christmas song before you can cheat. Sing it JOYFULLY !!! Sing it with a smile.
Anyone willing to sing along with me ????

"Joy ... to the world....
All... the boys and girls....
"

OOPPSS ... that's not a Christmas song.

Let's try again... " Jingle Bells... Jingle Bells ... Jingle all the way ....."

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 12-06-2004 at 02:41 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #14  
I'm on my way!

Default Andria I will take the liberty....

ON THE FIRST DAY OF CHRISTMAS
MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME

A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #15  
I'm on my way!

Oh 2cute...sorry....I didn't notice you started singing jingle bells! Darn...I guess I should have read slower all the way through! I was in a hurry this morning to get Andrew ready before his bus came to pick him up!

I just finished my breakfast of 1/2 c oatmeal w/1 c water, 2 pkts of equal and 1 T of peanut butter yum yum, you just have to make sure you put in enough sweetner to your liking! Did you all know that Tropicana makes a "light" orange juice? Instead of 1/2 c for 1 pt you get a whole cup! And you can't tell the difference in taste, John doesn't realize he is drinking a lower calorie OJ!

Well today is my LAST DAY OF FREEDOM...or should I say boredom!?? I start my new job tomorrow morning...YIKES...gotta get myself up at 5 am now to get me showered and ready and then the boy and John, we will all be out the door at the same time every morning...'cept friday! I won't have to be at work till 8:30 on Friday! And we get out at 12:00 and right around the corner is a 12:30 WW meeting...how convienent for me is that? Now I can stay at my meetings. That always was the clincher for me losing weight and I never figured out why? Whenever I stayed for the meetings I would consistently lose!

Gail - good for you going back to WW meetings. Its the way to go! Especially during this time of the year...it really keeps us from gaining extraordinary amounts of weight. If we do have a gain it will be smaller because we are more accountable having to answer to the scale each week! I lost during all the holidays when I lost the 97 lbs! Every single week I had a loss whether large or small...a loss is a loss!

Joyce where did you move from that you didn't have snow?? I just moved again to get away from the snow!

Andria...2Cute and I both started songs...maybe we will have a duet of two different songs going at the same time!!

Kat that is one of my favorite songs too! I also love the Christmas Shoes song but I have had to turn it off each time I hear it this year because I start balling my eyes out! If I was going home that would be fine but both times I was on my way somewhere and didn't want people to see my red eyes and nose!!

Skitt wanna come to my house and pack away my clothes too? I did all the laundry yesterday but have a few bins of clothes to go through and pack away others. I just wish someone would say they were coming to visit so I would be motivated to get this house finished up!

Lucky you can talk football!! We all know we are joking about our favorite teams being the best! May the best team win!! GO PATRIOTS! LOL

Leanne - you are so good about your exercise...I just wish I could get where you are with it! I know I will eventually once I get a routine down!

BarbPa - GO PATRIOTS and second place to the Eagles! I wish we could have gotten together before I left. I had so much fun meeting with you at the park and also with Kat at Peddler's Village.

Alrighty then, I better get off of here so I can get some housework done, I have to pick Andrew up at school at 10 am, he has a vision and hearing test scheduled today. So you all come out and post now...I want something to read when I get back home!

TTFN Love you guys! Michelle