Old 12-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#607

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #2  
Christine

S/C/G: 340/328/150

Height: 5'4"

Talking Hiya

Thanks Tony, Andria and Kat!! I'll go check them out.

eddies_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:02 PM   #3  
a work in progress...

...hello? Anybody home?

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm off to get a l o n g overdue haircut and color. I just had a GREAT workout, that I won't count, running around here, literally running, tidying up, shifting laundry, doing dishes, making it look like I did something around here today instead of sleep!

I'm hoping to get my 30 minutes of exercise in when I get back...Tae Bo maybe, then a shower and off to work. Everything else is good...food water, journalling. Gotta keep this momentum high!

See you later!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi All! I don't know what I do wrong, but I can't get pictures to post in anything but a thumbnail shot and I tried to steal the Happy Holidays too but it said the file was too big.

Barbg: CONGRATULATIONS on winning the Thanksgiving Challenge!!!! Cool beans, lady!!!

Michelle: CONGRATULATIONS on the new job! I think they were getting a bargain in you for an employee and that's why they were able to bend a little bit. Good for you!!!

Skittles: CONGRATULATIONS on the new house! I'm sure you just can't wait. This will be so much fun!!!

Gail: CONGRATULATIONS on getting day 1 of the Challenge under your belt. Good job!

Sandy: Glad Evan is doing some better. Also glad that you've stopped eating through it and decided to buckle down.

Kerri: Sounds like you've had the week from he!! with the sewer and the auditors. YIKES! Hope things are running more smoothly for you now.

Terri: How are the girls? Has it been too cold to ride?

Chris: That's the pitts that you're stuck in one place because of custody issues. As much as I will probably never again move from Michigan, I think I'd like it to be MY decision, not dictated by someone else.

CD: Sounds like you're prepared. Good luck with all the studying and finals.

Tony: Welcome aboard. We really are a fun bunch!!!

Lucky: Hope you're feeling better. I've had a nasty cold for more than a week. Dayquil by day and Nyquil by not is the only thing that will keep me snotfree! Hope that wasn't TMI!

Joyce: Ahhhh, you already had snow. I'm waiting for our first snow. I can't do any Christmas shopping until it snows at least once. Some years the boys have been very worried that they wouldn't get anything!

Andria: Thanks for the nice story about you and your honey. It sounds like you have a very special relationship! I'm going to say no to the "do we have to lose the last gain to call the 2X2 loss?" question. But then, I'm not the one who makes the rules!

Katrina: Bet you can't wait for those 3 days off. And on a weekend too!! WooHoo!!!

2cute: No need to apologize for how you feel. I'm sure it's that "mother hen" state of mind that kicked in. [[[hugs]]]

Lisa: What happened to you?

Susie: Still budgeting?

Jen: Getting ready for another German Christmas?

Went to the Dr. today. Yes, it was routine for blood work. She was very happy with me that I've lost 7 pounds since last I saw her. I told her I was working on it, but it's slow going. She patted me on the shoulder and told me she knew it was hard but that I should just keep plugging. Now, that's the kind of Dr. I like. Not judgemental, just encouraging. We'll see what the blood work looks like.

My car is in the shop. They say $2300 in damage and it might be done next Wednesday. I told them they could have til Friday for no extra charge since we'll be in Vegas.

Somebody asked about movies. We saw After the Sunset and it was very entertaining. "The baby" saw National Treasure and he said it was very good.

I'm working all day tomorrow and I'll haved to see if I can find time to get in here to visit. Gotta run. SURVIVOR nite!!!! Love ya bunches.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #5  
Leanne

ROLL CALL (2x2)
Thin
Joyce
Terri
Barbg
Kat
2Cute
Michelle
Gail
Andria
Leanne

Sorry that I've been quiet - I simply don't have time to read everything and reply right now (head down, tail up in my thesis). I have been filling out my Christmas Challenge ... 3 out of 4 stars for each day so far + one bonus for parking my car at the far end of the carpark last night when I went shopping! I just love exercising in the pool and its been no problem to do that or the journalling, but the water is something I've done for both days so far (and will again today) which is already a change since I started.
At the moment I just want to run away - I am asking myself why on earth I took on this honours year with everything else that is on my proverbial plate. But I guess hindsight is always 20/20!
Anyway I hope everyone is well and happy and not too stressed over the silly season
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Thin and anyone else who is trying unsucessfully to post graphics and pitctures. The first thing you must do is to go to the UserCP (the 2nd item on the purple toolbar) once you are in your control panel look on the left side and find the words edit options Once that is displayed scroll down to the third options Thread display options and check all three boxes. After that you should be able to add any graphic that you have hosted on a web hosting site by merely checking the image icon (the yellow square with the mountian and stamp on it) If you do not have a web hosting site and are trying to upload the pic as an attatchment you can only do that as the thumbnail view that you were talking about. That was not always the case, but but since all the bandwith ballyho that is what happens.

I started off the first day of the challange with a perfect score, and heading that way today, if I can just may myself journal before I go to bed.

They are starting a new exercise class at the healthclub. It's not in the water, but it is a Pilates class that uses the Preformer, or Reformer, or whatever it's called. It is a group session, but can only have 6 participants in each class because that's all the machines they have. They are going to charge 20.00 a session for it, but for the month of December it's going to be free. I'm signed up for the very first session!!! The instructor said that if I could do it a couple of times a week, I'd see drasticchanges in my body in a very short time. (It's be worth the 20.00 a session if it workes) also I have to get a clearance from my doc, but I don't think this will be too bad on my joings, as there is no pounding and no getting on the floor (both things I'm forbidden to do!) Cross your fingers for me.

Well I've rambled enough for a while and besides I need a potty break!!!

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #7  

Smile

I am jumping in with Kat's remark:
Quote:
I'll jump right into the current controversy with two feet: Hey, why not a male perspective? If Tony doesn't mind "listening" when we talk about PMS or hot flashes, I don't mind!

And agree with 2cute on:
Quote:
I hope we can all put this behind us and move on together.
Hmmm the whole thing sounds like a family to me - disagree & then make up!!!

I have read all the posts but now I can't remember what kind of doctor Tony wants to be? I will blame it on being tired!!!! Anyway, I kept thinking while reading it how I have't gone to the doctor since I gained weight.

I know it's my issue but I feel they would be judging me immediately.

So far the challange is going good. I wish the Christmas Challange included a mandatory sleep time of 10 hours a day but I don't suppose that kind of a requirement can be expected from 2Cute, The All Night Owl.

Thanks, Gail but I know I can add 4 pounds in a day too so I am being cautiously happy!!!

Yippee!!! almost Friday!!!
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #8  

Good evening everyone!!

I'm so glad to be here tonight!! And for Thankful Thursday--I am thankful for a 100X better day at work today!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!! Maybe I should knock on wood or something and hope for it to be the same tomorrow before I jinx it!?

I ate well.... got some reduced fat pepper jack cheese and put a serving sized slab of it on an english muffin for bkfst, had a grilled chicken sandwich and small fry for lunch and made a great supper.... rotisserie marinated turkey breast that I grilled up with snap peas, minute rice and some grilled yellow squash!

Good news is the family isn't even missing the beef in this house... they are just glad for a hot meal every night regardless of what it is... there's a few things they won't eat--hubby won't touch squash, zucchini, eggplant, or eggs... the kiddo won't touch cheese and would rather have 3rds of veggies than to dig in too deep to any kind of meat... she's on a grilled onion kick and I'm usually happy to oblige unless her request is after all the cooking's been done. Have a stove top griddle that lays over two burners and I grill away... love that thing!

Hit Curves for a 35-40 min workout and drank all of my water, plus about 20 oz! Funny I don't even miss my Dr. Pepper at ALL. I had a sip of hubby's the other day and it just tasted horrible to me. Wierd isn't it? I'm glad glad glad that I'm craving the water.

Kat- Betcha can't wait for the new 'do! I love getting a new look, makes you feel so feminine!

Thin- Things are Soooo much better around here!! Hate it when a hard to come by 3 or 4 day weekend has a cruddy ending!! Also sounds like you have a great doc on your hands there! Hard to come by... by the way, what's the 2x2 challenge??

I've done my food, water, exercise AND journal for today!! Woohoo!!
~Kerri~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #9  
Dancing those pounds away

Barbg... I just LOVE you pics... thank you so much for posting them. I am green with envy.
Thanks for the instructions to help us post ours too. I just don't know I will make the time to go find them. Besides.. it is so much fun anticipating yours.
Congratulations on the perfect "NICE" you have going for you. I made a clarification in the Christmas Thread about "journaling" ... but the bottom line is... everyone can decide for themselves. LOL
Good luck on your new exercise class. It sounds very promising. I just don't think I could pay $20 per session. Seems like a lot. But it is GREAT that you get it for free in December. That way you can decide from experience if it is worth it or not.

Lucky... I just may add getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night as a BONUS in next month's challenge. Believe it or not.. I went to bed at 10:30 Wed night and slept until 5:45. I would have slept longer but my bladder just can't last long enough. Grrrr
Tonight I am forcing myself to be in bed by midnight. I am working on improving all of me. I think my lack of sleep has played havoc on me lately. I stayed up ALL NIGHT two nights in a row. NOT GOOD. ( well.. I got 3-4 hours total in 2 nights)

Leanne... I hope you always post about your swimming everyday. Between you and Barbg I just may get back into the pool again. I definitely plan to go in January.
Dec is such a busy month... but I know I need it NOW. Congrats on your first bonus. That is a hard on for me.

Thin... I appreciate you and Kat recognizing my "mother hen" syndrome coming out... but I think I was more like a "mother Tiger". I am TOO protective sometimes. Even moms makes mistakes sometimes.

Chris... I really like that smilie too.

Well ladies and gentlemen... I am very down-hearted tonight.
My grandson had his 8th grade band Christmas program tonight and I did not get to watch him. I am soooooooo frustrated with myself. I was too fat to be able to stand for an hour until his group played. We got there on time... but every seat was taken. It was standing room only. There were a couple of seats at the TOP of the bleachers but there was NO WAY I could climb to the top. My knees are in such BAD SHAPE !!! The pain in my legs are sometimes just soooo overwhelming. I looked for a bench or chair... but there were none. I had to leave before he even played. I caused all of this to myself.

As a fat person you like to think you are only hurting yourself. BUT I have always known I am harming many others because of my weaknesses ... my FAT.

When I was younger I could be fat and still be mobile. Heck... I was ACTIVE.
But now .... age is really making a HUGE difference. I am no longer active.. no longer mobile. And the worst part is... the less mobile you get... the fatter you get.
You don't have to eat more to gain weight. You just sit more... and GAIN !!!

EXERCISE is soooooo important. PLEASE PLEASE make time for your exercise.
Don't repeat the mistakes I have made. GET IT OFF NOW... don't wait another minute... another day... another year. Time keeps ticking by. Take advantage of your youth NOW.

Whether you are 20 something.. or 30 something or 40 or 50. The older you get... the slower you metablism gets... and the less you are able to do. Add being 300+ and OLD and it is not a good combination. Train your body now and keep it up so your body stays active.

I know you all know all of this already. You don't need me to tell you. I just know how TERRIBLE I feel when I let my family down AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.
I pray to God that they can forgive me too. I seem to need a lot of forgiveness lately.
-----------------------------------------
kerri... i am soooo glad you were posting while I was.
It did my heart good to read your post.
You put a smile on my face.
I LOVE to read about people in recovery... they are always sooo positive and that is just what the doctor ordered. THANKS.
--------------------------

I had to edit one more time. We are missing some family members.
BARB PA where are you ???
How about Jennifer, DGrizzle, ljd1223, Skittles, and our new Memoe. ??
I am sure I missing someone. Please come and post again.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 12-03-2004 at 12:34 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:08 AM   #10  
Hang In There

2Cute. wanna use this little guy as your Santa's Helper

Let me repeat what 2Cute said:
Quote:
EXERCISE is soooooo important. PLEASE PLEASE make time for your exercise.
Don't repeat the mistakes I have made. GET IT OFF NOW... don't wait another minute... another day... another year. Time keeps ticking by. Take advantage of your youth NOW.
Those of you who are newer than I am, might or might know that my DH has WLS (gastric Bypass surgery) in April of 2004 This was not a choice for him, it was a necessity. We have always been involved in exercise, but as we got older, it was harder and harder to make ourselves actually do it. The less we did, the harder it was to get motivated. We re-joined a health club and were going to get serious again, but ole Alvin was in such bad physical shape that he couldn't get up the stairs to use the equipment, so he dropped out and I stayed. Before his surgery he was so out of shape and so obese that he could not even stand long enough to shower. He would have to get in the shower and get wet, then sit down to "soap up" then finally get up and rinse off. He would go from the bedroom to the den, have to set down and rest, then get up and walk to the car and rest before he could leave for work. Needless to say our social live was non-existant.

After his surgery and all the complications involved with that he was finally able to exercise again. By that time I had changed health clubs, so he joined that and for over two years now, we both go every weekday morning. To us the expense it well worth it, but I realize that some of you, expecially you younger ones with kids at home are not as fortunate as we are, and some of you live in area where you do not have access to the many gyms, health clubs and/or Y's that we do here in Dallas, but find a way to get into the exercise habit! It can literally be a life or death matter.

Okay 2cute you got me up on my soapbox, but I feel your pain, I hate to see you get to the point Alvin was in.

Well that took up all my time, so I'll end now.

Have a great day everyone, and remember today is Fun Friday!

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #11  

Smile

Good Morning,

This is quick as my car is warming up and it's time for WORK!!!!! Hmmm, I work at home too so maybe I should say, 'I'ts time to go to the place thay pays me money to work!!'

So far so good on the challange - I do want to work on doing pilates. I don't know how the ones that do it - do it. I find them very hard - no stomach muscles. BUT I WILL try again. (Kat, did I sound like Scarlett???)

Okay - time for my to be filled for my drive to work.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #12  
a work in progress...

Lucky, you have to raise your fist to the sky and say out loud, (and with a slight Southeren drawl) "AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, I WILL TRY AGAIN!"

Then you will sound like Scarlett!

Great post, BarbG, thank you for sharing! I'll bet that all those trips to the health club is exactly where you left all those lost inches! I KNEW that despite all those times you bemoaned a single lb lost, or no loss at all, that you must be losing inches! Hooray for you! And for ol' Alvin! Maybe you could get him to come and post too!! And congrats on winning the Turkey Day challenge!

Gotta run, back later~
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

ok, first off let me get this out of the way,

ROLL CALL (2x2)
Thin
Joyce
Terri
Barbg

Kat
2Cute
Michelle
Gail
Andria
Leanne
Skittles

Next, I say Welcome Tony, glad to have ya. I hope you realize that since you admitted to studying to be a doctor, that now means your opinion will be asked on many ailments. And since you are a man, well, your opinion will be asked on many of their ailments as well And you will learn that I am just a smarty pants and enjoy being a silly goose.

2cute, don't feel bad, I say state your feelings because feelings can change and it also helps us to understand each other more, even if there was a misunderstanding. Bravo for being who you are.

Quote:
When I was younger I could be fat and still be mobile. Heck... I was ACTIVE.
But now .... age is really making a HUGE difference. I am no longer active.. no longer mobile. And the worst part is... the less mobile you get... the fatter you get.
You don't have to eat more to gain weight. You just sit more... and GAIN !!!
I have to say I agree with this. As I have gotten older, the less I have been able to do. I haven't really had time to exercise this week, but I am packing and cleaning and moving stuff around and packing some more. I think that I am getting a pretty good workout. Not the standard kind but a good workout none the less. However, I need to make some time during the day to do at least 20 minutes of bike riding or something to make sure I am getting some cardio. Thanks for the reminder.

Ok, now, on to something really important, Survivor! Chris is still there. Go Chris!!!! I've been rooting for him since the beginning. Him and Twilla, so if one of them wins, I will be sooo happy. I am really hoping for Chris though. However, maybe Eliza will come through. Or maybe something crazy will happen and it will be Scout. Maybe she's as healthy as a horse, and is just faking the weak old lady thing to be non threatening and pull out the physical stuff in the end.

Ok, I'm late for work.

Love ya all bunches. Only 3 more Saturday's until Christmas. Woo Hoo! and I am almost done with my shopping.

Skitt

Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #14  
Tilting at windmills

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sitting in class, bored out of my mind, watching the doc present slides of rashes and ulcers (doing a Dermatology section in clinical medicine right now). Some of these things are really nasty! However, there are some rashes that have the preferred treatment as "active nonintervention" or "skillful neglect". Basically just tell the patient it'll go away in time

Skittles: Questions are more than welcome, I'll help as much as I can. I'm near the end of the "book learning" phase of my education (the last two years of medical school are clinical rounds), so I should be able to comment (or at least know where to look) about nearly anything...in theory, at least If it's something I don't know about, it's probably something I should go back and study, huh...so it all works out

As far as the being male thing, I may be much less help there. I'm not entirely sure the reasoning behind most of the irrational things attributed to my gender
fierum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Hey to all my Favorite Gals! (and now Guy! )

I am de-lurking to say hello! Thanks 2cute for pulling me out of hiding. This week has been a crazy one. Jeff went to work on Monday and was told he had to go to Boston that night for work - he is still there and will coming home tonight. Work has been nuts for me and I haven't been getting home until about 7pm each night and spending the evenings decorating, cleaning and exercising! I miss you all and wish I had more time to get in here and read and post! I will make a better effort, just won't necessarily have time for the all the replies that I like to do.

Bad food habits have been creeping back into my life and I have been fighting with them. I know I need to get back to documenting all my intake and calories. I used to do it diligently with an excel file every day. Once I see what is going in it will surely wake me up! That's it - I'm doing it!

As most of you know, in addition to my struggles with weight loss, DH and I are dealing with infertility issues and desperately hoping and praying to start a family. DH is having surgery again 2 weeks from today to have sperm extracted via a testicular biopsy. I am started to get very anxious and nervous about starting things back up. Assuming his procedure goes well, I will start on the injections for IVF at the end of January.

When I last saw my Dr. in August my goal was to have lost 20 pounds by January and here I sit weighing nearly the exact same as when I last saw him. I feel so disappointed in myself right now!

Ok - I guess I am just getting it all out in this "me post". Sorry!

I do feel a little better getting all of that out and letting you all know why I have been lurking in and out lately. I am on a continuous roller coaster of emotions.

On the up side I am getting my hair cut and highlighted this afternoon and then I will get to see my darling hubby tonight! I've been sleeping great with the bed to myself, but I miss him dearly!

Michelle - Congrats on the new job!

Thin - Sorry about the car. What a pain!

Andria - So happy to hear that you are up and around and getting more active. Take good care of yourself and don't over do it --- I know that you already know that!

Lucky - Have you tried the Pilates for Dummies tape? I love that one. Yep - it's tough on the abs, but I love that burn feeling the next day that tells me I really worked hard.

Lisa --- ??? How are you???

Kat - I am thankful that wind stopped too. Gosh - it was awful. I lost 2 wreaths off my house and they are no where in sight. I'm agree with the no elevator and stairs only at work --- I have to get back to that - I've found myself using the elevator too much lately. Enough of that!

2Cute - Love the Christmas Challenge! Everyone was talking about theirs and I was sad mine hadn't come, but I got it a day or two later and was so happy!

Barbg - Not sure if I every congratulated you on the Turkey Challenge! GOOD JOB!!!!

To the rest of my friends - Kerri, Skit, CD, Chris, Sandy, Leanne, Tony, and anyone else I missed (please forgive me) -- HELLO and BIG HUGS!!! You know I love each and everyone of you! Have a Happy Friday!

xoxoxoxo

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote