Old 10-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#577

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! I did something squirrely to my my back on Friday and I've been suffering with it ever since. The biggest problem is that I know sleeping in bed when I feel like that is the WORST thing I can do for it so what did I do??? Slept in bed, of course. Now tonight, I will be brighter and sleep in the recliner. Hopefully that will take care of it and I will be good to go.

Here's the challenge participants so far:
Terri
Kat
Andria
Thin
Lucky
Barbg
2cute
Tammy
Christine
CD

If you're joining us, add your name to the list.

Lucky: OMG! Your furnace is running already??? YIKES! 30 degrees is too dang cold. I do have to say I'm enjoying these mid 60's kind of temperatures during the day though. Ahhhh, sweater weather. Love it!!! Your guess is as good as mine on the dragonfly (teehee, now I got to use it too!) But then I'm not really sure about the flowers or mouse either. I'm glad your sister is doing some better. As for your friend, try to put yourself in her shoes and say the things to her that you would want to hear. I guess I would be just laying it out for her and telling her you just don't know what to say and can she lead you in whatever she needs: talk, get distracted, whatever. [[[hugs]]] It's going to be a rough time....for both of you.

Barbg: Yup, 2 pounds, 2 weeks. We CAN do this!!!

2cute: Now, just cuz you'll be on vacation when this challenge ends doesn't mean you're off the hook for reporting in. I KNOW there'll be a computer where you're going!!! You better let me know what you're not allowed to have so I CAN keep an eye on your plate. You know I only know WW and we can have anything....within reason.

CD: Boy, I would hate to be the one to discourage too much exercise, but please don't risk falling victim to heatstroke. Make sure you're getting in plenty of water. *As far as a scale goes, if that's not in your near future, take your measurements. I think you'll be surprised what a great sign they can be of your continued efforts in the exercise department. *I'm really not sure about the show Big Losers. I watch so much other stuff that this one is coming pretty late in the season to be added. Yeah, I know, the new season just started, but there are already shows on Tuesday that I won't be missing like NCIS, Judging Amy, and NYPD Blue. At least I think the commercial said it was coming on Tuesday. If it's some other night, I have a list for then too.

Tammy: I'm not sure what the problem is with your smilies. As Lucky aluded to, are you using them where you just click on them while your writing your replies or are you typing them in manually? I went to the smilie page long ago and printed it out so now I just manually type them in and I never have any trouble. I'll try just clicking on a couple for this post and see what happens. As far as the challenge, consider yourself added. * Thanks for posting your Bio. I also added your birthday to our birthday thread....which I just updated.

Terri: You must have decided to go to the horses or the boat after church because I haven't seen you back here yet. I'll catch up with you later.

Christine: WooHoo on your first 10 pounds! Doesn't it feel GREAT!!! *Sorry you're not doing well with the meds switching. Hopefully once it's completed you'll feel much better.

Andria: Sure hope you're able to get more rest today. I don't know how you function on 2 hours sleep.

Judy: You haven't been back since the dog show last weekend. How are you doing?

Joanne: You checked in recently and checked back out again. Are you lurking.

Mary: Haven't heard from you in awhile either.

Jen: Do I have to send another card to get you out of hiding?

Skittles: What are you up to?

Scooter: You've been AWOL for a bit too. Where are you?

Syn: Are you still alive and well?

BarbPA: Are you working too hard? How's the Dr. going? Any updates?

Now that I did that I'll probably be sorry because no doubt I forgot someone. I'm sorry. I did it off the top of my head. Should have made notes. I didn't exclude anyone on purpose.

Well, girls, I've been sitting here far too long. The back is stiffening back up again, need to hit the recliner. I cleaned up the Bio Thread today. I had left all the posts of people who haven't been here in months just unviewable, but it was depressing seeing everyone who came and went, so I got that all cleaned up now. Hope the rest of your evening goes well. I can't wait for the premiere of Desperate Housewives, I think it's going to be a real hoot!!!

I'm going to run. Love ya bunches.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Tammy: Smilies worked for me both ways. Please be more specific about how you're trying to do them and I'll see if I can help you out.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #4  
Dancing those pounds away

HI Guys !!! I am home from the family reunion.
My husband wants me to cook dinner for him now.. but I told him he had to wait until I checked in. LOL I read everyone's posts but forgot to take notes.
I am not going to go back and reread later. I will just start from there.

ANyway..... I STAYED ON PROGRAM
I never got the time to make those healthy choices so I just got KFC when we got there. Everyone just puts everything out on the picnic tables and shares.
Well.. of course almost ALL of it was delicious fattening foods. I ate what few healthy things were there... and I did not even look at the desserts.
I made the choice of losing weight over eating desserts.

Okay... gotta go feed DH ... just had to share the good news.
I'll be back later.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I wish I could say that today has been a great day. It should have been. The weather was gorgeous. We went to church and joined a Sunday school class for the first time. DH is not enthused about Sunday school but I have asked him to give it a try so that we might meet other couples around our median age. Its hard since he's 57 and I'm 44. We need to make more effort to actually know people in the church. Today was also the day we had decided to officially join this church. We had become dissatisfied with things at our other church and had been going here since February - it was time. Great!

I had wanted to go to lunch and then wanted to go ride later this afternoon. I would have been okay with going by myself. I would have loved to have the relaxful time with the girls. But NO. DH insisted that we go to the horses so I could ride and then we'd go to lunch. I didn't argue. We took a small TV so DH could watch football at the barn. Should have been okay.

Nope, DH acted like a complete horse's a$$ because I didn't do everything he suggests. He has this bad habit of telling me what to do. I'm the one doing all the work and he has to tell me how to do it. Tanyah was acting like a wild child and that wasn't helping. He was a bigger A$$ than she was. I was completely upset by the time I got her saddled and even rode off while he was mouthing off. My parting comment was about how great it was that he let the devil win today on this special day of joining the church. I was hurt. I was furious. I was thinking about single-life. As I said Tanyah was acting like an A$$ too so the ride wasn't all that pleasant. I had wanted to ride over in the park but that didn't happen. I cut it short because I knew with his diabetes he would be getting hungry, weak and in need of food.

Now was he mad because I defied him? Probably not. He was snippy all weekend. I suspect its because his back and hips are hurting him terribly and he blames it all on the neuropathy. I also blame it on the weight he's carrying in his stomach. He's put on 40 pounds since he quit smoking and its all right there in his gut. Which I know has to be making his back hurt. Plus his legs aren't working very well. Its really become evident of how its deteriorated and I wonder how much longer he will be able to work. That just rips my heart out.

He hates the airdyne stationary bike so we went looking for something recumbant yesterday. I was thinking bike and he was thinking of the stepper he used in cardio rehab. We tried a couple of the bikes but he can't easily get his feet up to the pedals from the seated position. That make him so frustrated. And no one has anything like the stepper that is $4,000. And he won't go to a gym.

So I'm rationalizing his horrible behavior this afternoon on his anger, frustration, and disappointment in his body. Geez, just wish it wouldn't be directed at me. But its all past now.

And to top it off, when we got home this afternoon, the electricity was out for a few hours. Sure was quiet around here! Thank goodness it wasn't August.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 10:19 PM   #6  

Smile

You made good choices, 2Cute.

You had an emotional time with hubby, Terri. I can't think of a darn thing to say to make it better, so I will just

Night,
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #7  

Oh Terri... Just as we can all relate with each other to our weight issues... we can also relate to relationship issues.
Marriage can sometimes be the greatest ....
and other times it can suck.

Just remember this truth I learned years ago... This too shall pass
Hopefully the number of good days outnumber the bad.
Just know you are not alone. All of our husbands can drive us NUTS.

Lucky... thanks.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 10-04-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:18 AM   #8  
a work in progress...

Default Ummm, Thin?

Yeah, you forgot someone...I'll give you a few seconds to think of who....
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #9  
a work in progress...

Default Good Morning!

Another lovely day here...We had a busy weekend but I still managed to exercise each day. Feeling good about that.

Terri...I can relate to the hubby blues. I call mine the "micro-manager."
It must be so frustrating for him, with the neuropathy, but you shouldn't have to be the recipient of that frustration. Unfortunately, you're there. I see that with my parents sometimes...I don't know how she doesn't clock him sometimes!

I had wanted to do replies, but I'm told that we have to go search for yesterday's paper, specifically the stock pages, for a homework assignment we've had weeks to work on.

see you all later...have a great day!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

Today is a new day. Motivation Monday! I'm not finding any at the moment but I will before the day it out. My allergies have gone nuts so all I want to do is lie about in bed. But I must go to work.

Thanks for the kind words about DH and I. Fortunately, things get back to normal right away and it doesn't go on for days.

Have a great day and make it OP!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Hi all, Just a quickie, I have been gone all weekend. A little spur of the moment trip. I will write about it later. I am on my way to work. I am working early and late this week so I can leave early on Friday to go see Michael Moore. Anyhoo, You all were talking about what the dragonfly means. I thought you all might find this interesting.

"Illusion, the Power of Light"

"Dragonfly is the power of light.
The dragonfly inhabits two realms: air and water
and the influence of both these elements will be felt by Dragonfly people.
They will be emotional and passionate
during their early years (the influence of water)
and more balanced with greater mental clarity
and control in as they mature (the influence of air).

Dragonfly is the essence of the winds of change,
the messages of wisdom and enlightenment; and the communication from the elemental world.
Dragonfly medicine beckons you to seek out the parts of your habits which need changing.
Call on Dragonfly to guide you through the mists of illusion to the pathway of transformation.
The number 2 is important to Dragonfly,
so think in terms of two year periods when you begin a change.
Dragonfly brings the light and color of transformation into your life."

I think that this is very much about what we are doing here. We are seeking out the parts of our habits that need changing and if we think in 2's, well our 2 week challenges. We are all also the power of light for each other. We are in essence dragonflies to one another. And I love things with wings, fairies, butterflies, birds, and well dragonflies.

As far as flowers go, we all like to get flowers every once in a while.

Terri
Kat
Andria
Thin
Lucky
Barbg
2cute
Tammy
Christine
CD
Skittles

Bye all, off to work, I will tell ya about my exciting weekend later, along with replies.

Let's Get Moving, and Let's get each other moving.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:40 AM   #12  
Lisa

Umm, Thin, forgot someone else . . .

Terri
Kat
Andria
Thin
Lucky
Barbg
2cute
Tammy
Christine
CD
Skittles
Lisa
ljs1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #13  
Lisa

Talking

Happy Monday beautiful ladies! It’s cold and sunny here today. I just came in from hanging some blankets & towels out on the line. They’ll freeze for now, but it should warm up fast as the sun gets higher in the sky. I love fall in MN!

We had such a busy weekend - as you all know. Got to the talent agency and all went well. My daughter did fabulous. She’s such a talented young lady (of course I’m partial). They had her do her “thing” and then we were to call back on Sunday. Soooo, I called back on Sunday like I was supposed to and talked to one of the scouts. He said “your daughter is very talented and has that ‘spark’ that we need. Congratulations! We want her to come back in for a second audition - today. We want her to be a part of our 30 week course of training and auditions. By the way, your initial investment will be $2,900.00. Most parents pay by credit card.” I DON’T FREAKING THINK SO!!!! So that was the end of that for now. I talked to my girlfriend after that and she said that agency is no good. Apparently one of her clients had daughters who were "taken" by them or something like that. Good thing I didn't go for it!! I now have the name of a legit agency is Manda really wants to pursue this.

Yesterday we worked outside all day long. Got my garden cleaned out, weeded some of the strawberries and the raspberries. DH got it all tilled up and now it looks so bare! Felt good to be outside - and it was so gorgeous! I think we’re going to have a big bonfire this upcoming weekend - weather permitting. We got some really cute pictures of Isaac in the pumpkins too. I planted one plant that makes the monster pumpkins, well we got three of them that must weigh 60 lbs! Took both of us to load them on the trailer and move them - they were so big and bulky! They'll make fun jack-o-lanterns. Once I get the film developed I'll try posting (again) on the picture thread.

Lucky - I know that when my dad was sick (he had Leukemia) people said all kinds of stupid things to him. My advice would be just to let her know that you are there for her no matter what she needs, & just let her know that you don’t know what to say. She’ll understand.

Skittles - how are you???? You have such a gift with words - your posts are always so inspiring!

CD - you BE CAREFUL - like Thin said, you don’t need to be getting heat stroke! Exercise is good, just take it a little easy in that heat and humidity.

Thin - I’m having the same troubles as Tammy. I can’t change the font/color/size either. I wonder if it has something to do with the security setting on our computers . . .

2Cute - wtg on staying on program and on task! Wish I could say the same for this past weekend . . . We had a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream while at MOA and then after that we went out for Pizza at a Pizzeria that I grew up eating at in South Minneapolis. Was way fun!

Terri - Don’t know what to tell you about your dh - just that my prayers are with you both. Hopefully your Monday will be better.

Kat - Hey chickie . . .

"hi" to everyone else as well!
ljs1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #14  
Hang In There

Motivational Monday

I am Motivated today, I have just figured out that if we keep up the 2week/2pounds challeges, that by this time next year I will be down by 50 pounds!!! The by the next year I will almost be at my goal!!! But wait That's two whole years away SO...Two years ago I was at this same weight saying the same things and doing the same things, Talking about loosing weight, but not taking any action, so this two years will be productive. I CAN loose 2 pounds every 2 weeks, that is doable...And look at all the people I have around me to keep me honest!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:19 PM   #15  

HI guys... where is everyone this afternoon. ???
I decided this afternoon to try the pool and see how cold it would be.
It was 75 outside ....how cold would the water be ?
Well... the water was a chilly 72 !!!
Trust me... 72 air temperture and 72 water temp are NOT the same.

I got in.... Brrrrr .... I just did some water walking because I did not have the courage to go all the way in. Finally I said "GO FOR IT !!!" and I went.
Yep... it was cold !! I said I would work hard and warm myself up.
I did work hard.. but I didn't warm up much. LOL
But before I knew it... 20 minutes were gone... then I aimed for 30 minutes.
I made it. It actually was stimulating.

Okay... I don't have time to do replies.
Hang in there ladies. Don't give up. Keep on keeping on.

Today my spirits were not very high. I am doing fine on my food... but kept focusing on the longggg journey instead of today. JUST FOR TODAY .
That is one reason why I decided to go swimming. To lift my spirits.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 10-04-2004 at 05:21 PM.