Old 04-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #1  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Red face Health Concerns

I decided we needed a thread just for health concerns!!! I know there are threads like this throughout 3fc, but I thought it would be nicer to discuss these issues among people we've already grown to "know" and therefore feel more comfortable talking to.

So post your questions, pleas for advice, or comments on any health related issues that may (or may not) be a result of being overweight.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #2  
working off those pounds

Well, I might a well christen the new "Health Conerns" thread by asking my question. This is regarding menstruation, so if that bothers you don't read further

I've always had irregular periods, and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've read that being overweight can be a major factor in irregular and heavy bleeding. Not to be gross, but it feels like it takes over my life at times, and I would like to know that I'm not the only one. I've been on birth control for it before, and I got enormous relief...except I decided to stop for a while because I was afraid I was "hurting" my body somehow because of the intense pain I experienced whilst on the pill. I didn't want to ruin my reproductive system..LOL..I want kids!!!

Lately it's just been a lot worse and I'm thinking about going back on the pill...I was wondering if any of you would not recommend/recommend doing so..and if you have heard about being overwight contributing to heavy flow.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #3  

missmeliss
i also had irregular and heavy periods when younger. i am now past that. i spent the last 6 yrs. before menopause on the pill. it really helped me. i was also on the pill in my early years. i had 3 children. maybe you should discuss this with your ob/gyn?
pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #4  
BELIEVE!

Melissa -
This is definately something you should discuss with your OB/GYN. I have always had normal cycles and bleeding, but know how difficult fertility problems can be since I am living it right now! Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is fairly common - some signs are overweight, excess hair...I know there are more, but can't think of them. There is also a thread on here dedicated to it. It can definately cause problems with fertility. Everyone's body is different and it's hard to compare symtoms.
Good luck with this.
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #5  
Dancing those pounds away

I cannot be of any help here. I had the direct opposite problem... my weight caused me to stop having periods for the last 10 years.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #6  
working off those pounds

Oh god i'm jealous 2cute....nah not really...being overweight caused me to stop getting mine once before...I went 6 months without it when i was 19.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #7  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

I've found that it's cyclical with me....even when I wasn't gaining, sometimes it would be 30-35 day cycles, other times, I'd skip 2 months, and then have a heavy cycle...now, with the weight coming off, it's trying to regulate, but it still isn't the "set your watch by it" like I was in high school, even at a size 16-18 then. My doc wouldn't put be on the pill, because my blood pressure was right at the borderline level due to the excess weight.

Where do I sign up to give mine up for 10 years totally?
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #8  
working off those pounds

I remember freaking out my sophomore year in college - i worried about everything, i didn't know if i was pregnant and not showing (you know how they say there are supposedly women who have babies and not even know they're pregnant...now i realize that's gotta be serious denial). Then I read somewhere that if you go so many months without it you're in menopause..THEN i freaked out, lol...ahh how we panic...

I have feeling that it's changing a lot because of my weight loss. That's all I can think of, because I know people who change their diet experience different cyclic changes.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #9  

Don't be jealous of me not having periods. It is NOT NATURAL.
Women were meant to have cycles and not having them can cause cancerous build up of something on the uterus wall. I am not in menopause so I should be having periods to clean out the old. It sounds nice to be free of the mess... but it is not what is best for your health.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #10  
working off those pounds

2cute: I'm sorry, I was making light of the situation...I know it's not normal or healthy and there are numerous reasons/implications to amenorrhea. You are absolutely right - when I didnt have my period I cursed myself for all the times I wished I never had one, and was sooooooooo thankful when it finally came back.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #11  

LOL ... you don't owe me an apology... I love not having periods.. but I just wanted you to know it is not the perfect solutions. LOL