Old 03-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #16  
Hang In There

Still as busy a a beaver, but just wanted to stop in and say HI.

2Cute Did you ever stop to consider that instead of the stomach flu you could be having a reaction to too many antibotics. You've been on them how long now? Sometimes they really tear up your stomach.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. The 9:00 water aerobics class lost their regular instruction, and it not has the BEST and TOUGHEST wa Intructor of the whole facility. Today's workout was great. She started back at the basics. This is a Deep Water Class so our feet never touch the ground, and she explaned and had us conquer the different type of leg movements. Super class. Also I have done my Oxycise for 2 days in a row now, and already feel skinner! That's amazing. If any of you have the Oxycise tapes, but have never really tried it, you don't know what you're missing. It's an awsome workout and you feel so good afterwards,SO Why can't I do it regularly?Okay I heard some whisper "TOO LAZY"
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #17  
BELIEVE!

Hi Again Ladies!
I have a recommendation for everyone feeling sluggish and blob like -- GET UP AND GET MOVING!!! (except you - 2Cute --- you need to rest!) I have been feeling very blah and yucky all week due to that time of the month. Today I forced myself to the gym and feel so much more alive now. Got the blood pumping and the muscles moving!!! I always feel great after a workout, but I have such a short term memory that I forget when it comes time to exercise again.
We can all do it - 5, 10, 15, 30, 60 Minutes -- It doesn't matter, do whatever you can!!! Now I just need a nice hot shower to feel completely human again!!!

Barb.g --- I wish I could find a water aerobics class like you take. It sounds wonderful and I know I would love it! I'm thinking about checking out the Y again - it's a little further from my house but has more to offer than the current gym I attend.

Our plans for tonight have been cancelled so DH and I are going to stay at home and have a quiet evening. I may pull the plug on his computer until he gets all the bills and paperwork organized. He is very possesive over the finances because early in the marriage I bit@#$# about doing everything so he decided one of his contributions would be the finances. He drives me crazy with it - nothing is filed he has piles of junk all over his desk - he just throws everything in the drawers. I just started looking for a dentist bill on his desk and came across nearly $100 dollars in credit checks on his desk.
ARGH!

Phew - I feel better with that off my chest.

Ingrid - WELCOME to our little part of the world!! Please hop in here anytime you are ready! We love having new friends join us for support, encouragement, laughter and tears!!

I'm off again!
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #18  
I've got my eye on you!

I am sorry. I know I am not replying to the posts of other people as much as I should. I intended to, but while I was working on it I came across this quote. It does not pertain really to any weight situation here, but it does pertain to the attitude you carry around with you. I like to remind myself of what I feel makes up the pieces of a good person so that I can work towards my own little versions of their virtues. This quote struck me. I think I will put it on my wall. I especially liked that it was a Cherokee saying, my great grandmother was Cherokee. I am named Fawn after her. I never met her so when I come across things that are connected to her (even in this tinny way, she could very well have never even heard the saying), it makes me smile.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Cherokee Expression
BlueHairFawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #19  
I've got my eye on you!

Angry

Hey Joe-anne,

I saw your post. I wanted to give you this quote. I hope you do not mind. I love quotes because it shares the wisdom of people who have come before. It reminds me of how much good is out there, and how much I still have to learn. This one inspired me, I hope it inspires you too. I know getting back up on the wagon can be hard, but maybe thinking of this quote will remind you that if grass of all things has it’s own angelic cheering section, surely we do too! So when you’ve had a bad day and you’re about to fall off that wagon, stop and listen and you may just hear a holy cheer!

Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it
and whispers, 'Grow, grow.'

The Talmud

Sincerely,
blue
BlueHairFawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #20  
BELIEVE!

Yep! It's me again. Can you tell I am bored with work today and keep popping in here to check on my favorite gals!!

Thin - Hopefully your post will bring some more of our friends out of hiding. You got Joanne - Who's next???

Joanne - I am so happy to see you back. I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling lately. Don't forget to make yourself and your health a priority.

Blue - Please don't feel like you have to reply to everyone. It can be hard to keep up. There are no rules - come in a talk about anything you want - reply if you feel like it - to someone, everyone, no one - whatever you want. I'm just happy you are here and hope that the support system helps you. I am not usually in and out so much each day, but I work at home 2 days a week which allows me a little more time to pop in.

Off yet again.
Barb
Old 03-05-2004, 04:14 PM   #21  
BELIEVE!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I just spent 20 minutes doing a new bio and the posting goblins ate it up!! I'll try again soon!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #22  
Making myself proud.

S/C/G: 375/ticker/200

Height: 5'11"

Hi.

Am I posting in the wrong place? It looks like I should be posting here and not on my own thread?

Thanks!

Ingrid
Stinger766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:44 PM   #23  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Stinger766 wrote:

I'm new here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so glad to find all of you. I go to another board re: weight loss but there isn't anyone there who needs to lose more than 100 lbs or weighs anywhere near what I do. I love them but I wanted to find others my actual size and I'm thrilled you are all here.

How is everyone feeling about their weight loss? I started on 1/12/04 and lost 20.5 lbs in the first 6 weeks. Last week was my 7th and I stayed the same but I'm not giving up, like I normally do at the first sign that things haven't gone like I hope they will.

Like I posted in my bio, I'd like to lose 180 lbs total but 150 would be liveable. I'm doing low fat (30 grams or less at this point, but I'll drop that down lower later), no snacks that aren't fruit, veggies or yogurt and small portions. I've been significantly overweight since my early 20's and was about 20 lbs overweight my entire high school life. I weighed about 220 for several years (which isn't so bad at 5'11"), then 240 for several years, 280 etc, etc., I was 305 a week after my son was born in 5/02, which was the lowest I'd been in a few years. I only gained 15 lbs total during my pregnancy but somehow I gained 45 lbs over the last two years.

For once I'm feeling really positive about dieting. I don't feel like it's torture or that I'm hating every minute. I'm pumped to actually do it, for myself but more for my son's sake. I want him to have a mom growing up and I know if I stay this weight, having high blood pressure and highish cholesterol that he won't.

Thanks for listening.

Ingrid
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #24  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up calling all south beach diet veterens!!

I don't want to fail this diet, but this first week has been soooooo tough. I've already "cheated" a number of times, just because the idea of eating another peanut or piece of string cheese makes me want to yak. So today I had a McDonald's lowfat "special" sundae (without the sauce of course, so it was just plain vanilla in a cup).

The book says to be really strict, because you will "slip" and fall into your old habits. THough I don't see how anyone in their right mind can go two weeks on protein and vegetables. It's outlandish...I just want an orange!!

Did you all stick to the plan for the first two week?
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:27 PM   #25  

i thought i'd post the answer to my riddle "nothing"
chequitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:34 PM   #26  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! I did my thing at Curves and got my 3 jobs for today done and now I can come here for a minute and not feel guilty about posting.

Syn: Glad to see you posting, but you didn't share that awsome quote with us. Can't wait to hear how your week turned out.

BarbPA: Good thinking getting your workout done first thing. You're right, then there are NO excuses!

Audrey: I love that Paul Harvey piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Blue: "When I have a really bad desire for something sweet I will eat everything I can trying to fill that space. I will actually eat until I feel extremely uncomfortable." That is the problem with so many "dieters" because they try to completely avoid certain things and set themselves up for failure. If you have one of those type of cravings, indulge, but indulge in A BITE, not several, or several bowls, bars or bag fulls. There is a really wonderful book that discusses the inner workings of cravings. It's called Constant Cravings by Doreen Virtue. It is out of print, but I found it on Amazon.com. My WW leader touted it as a good read and it is. It gives insite into the CAUSE of the cravings, very interesting. * "I am sorry. I know I am not replying to the posts of other people as much as I should." We don't have any rules here. There is no need to be sorry about replies. Do them when you feel like it, don't when you don't have time. Also, don't feel like you have to say something to everyone all the time. Sometimes you may just want to reply to one or two people. It takes alot to hurt our feelings....trust me, you won't!!!

Duckie: Good to see you. I sure hope you end up with a job when all this is over. I'm sure you're really stressin' about now. Good luck! [[[hugs]]] Congrats on the nice loss!!!

JoeAnne: Well, it's good to see that you really are here even if it's just reading. Ya know, doing well is NOT a pre-requisite for posting here. We've all been friends for so long, we just want to know what's going on in your life and that you are well. * I'm sorry you've had this gain and that your sugar is running rampant again. Time to get serious! * Glad Riley's project is coming along. When is the whole thing finished? It's good to know that his wasn't the only journal that didn't get returned.

2cute: I'm so glad that you are feeling some better. You've got a busy weekend ahead of you with company coming once again. YIKES!! You need some time for yourself.

Barbg: That water aerobics class sounds wonderful! I love to swim, just haven't been in the water for years except for two summers ago in my friend's lake, but that was only once. I even took Swimming as my gym credit in college. It was a two hour class and the instructor would have a 15 minute break between the first and second hour. All the other students would get out of the pool and sit on the side. Not me. I'd go down in the deep end, float on my back with my hands behind my head and just relax. Everyone thought I was crazy. They weren't far off, were they????

Ingrid: I brought you over here, because this is where the "action" is. Welcome to our little corner of the world. Alot of us are here several times a day. So post often so we can get to know you, and you us.

Melissa: Sorry, I'm doing WW. No restrictions, just be accountable. I loved your statement: "I just want an orange!!" I think it was Katrina who said: "I would die for an apple." Sorry I can't help you out. I just found it amusing the way you put it.

Well, girls, I'm outta here. Honey just called and he's a few miles from home. That's my cue to leave and go out to the local church and get their fish fry dinners. I'll catch you guys later. Love ya bunches.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:44 PM   #27  
Making myself proud.

S/C/G: 375/ticker/200

Height: 5'11"

HI again.

I'm so glad to see this board is active! The other board I go to doesn't have nearly as much posting going on.

Well, we're headed into the weekend and that's the hardest for me. At work I'm fairly busy and there isn't food sitting around, begging me to eat it. lol. At home it's harder. Does anyone have a hard time not snacking at night besides me? When my son goes to bed at 8pm every night I seem to want to snack. Although I've had snacks that are healthy, I still think it's something I don't really need. I cut them out again all but last night, when I had about 1/2 cup of lowfat cereal so hopefully I can completely cut it out next week. I figured what I do consume doesn't add up to much in one day and I never let it bring me much over my 30 grams of fat a day but if you calculate what it adds up to every night over the course of a year, that's a lot of lbs and grams that I don't really need, that I'm eating as comfort food. Does that make sense??

What kind of exercise is everyone doing? I'm afraid at the 329ish I am now (hopefully less after this week) that anything aerobic will be too hard on my joints. I don't have access to a swimming pool and I don't have any kind of exercise equipment at home. I'm thinking of buying a treadmill but again I'm concerned about the joint issue.

Thanks for you help,

Ingrid
Stinger766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #28  

Some went sent this to me in my e-mail, enjoy.

Here is a true story by Paul Harvey.
>
> Years ago, a hardworking man took his family from the state of New York to
> Australia to take advantage of a work opportunity there. Part of this
> man's family was a handsome young son who had aspirations of joining the
> circus as a trapeze artist or becoming an actor.
>
> This young fellow, biding his time until a circus job or even one as a
> stagehand came along, worked at the local shipyards, which bordered on the
> worse section of town.
>
> Walking home from work one evening this young man was attacked by five
> thugs who wanted to rob him. Instead of just giving up his money, the
> young fellow resisted. However, they bested him easily and proceeded to
> beat his body brutally with clubs, leaving him for dead. When the
> police happened to find him lying in the road, they assumed he was dead
> and called for the Morgue Wagon.
>
> On the way to the morgue, a police officer heard him gasp for air, and
> they immediately took him to the emergency unit at the hospital. When he
> was placed on a gurney, a nurse remarked, to her horror, that this young
> man no longer had a face. Each eye socket was smashed, his skull,
> legs, and arms fractured, his nose literally hanging from his face, all
> his teeth were gone, and his jaw was almost completely torn from his
> skull. Although his life was spared, he spent over a year in the hospital.
>
>
> When he finally left, his body may have healed but his face was disgusting
> to look at. He was no longer the handsome youth that everyone admired.
>
> When the young man started to look for work, everyone, just because of the
> way he looked, turned him down. One potential employer suggested to him
> that he join the freak show at the circus as "The Man Who Had No Face." He
> did this for a while. He was still rejected by everyone and no one wanted
> to be seen in his company. He had thoughts of suicide. This
> went on for five years.
>
> One day he passed a church and sought some solace there. Entering the
> church, he encountered a priest who had seen him sobbing while kneeling in
> a pew. The priest took pity on him and took him to the rectory where they
> talked at length. The priest was impressed with him to such a degree that
> he said that he would do everything possible for him that could be done to
> restore his dignity and life if the young man would promise to be the best
> Catholic he could be and trust in God's mercy to free him from his
> torturous life.
>
> The young man went to Mass and communion everyday and after thanking God
> for saving his life, asked only that God give him peace of mind and the
> grace to be the best man he could
> ever be in His eyes.
>
> The priest, through his personal contacts, was able to secure the services
> of the best plastic surgeon in Australia. There would be no cost to the
> young man because the doctor was the priest's best friend. The doctor too
> was so impressed by the young man, whose outlook now on life, even though
> he had experienced the worst, was filled with good humor and love. The
> surgery was a miraculous success. All the best dental work was also done
> for him. And the young man became everything he promised God he would be.
>
> He was also blessed with a wonderful, beautiful wife, many children, and
> success in an industry which would have been the farthest thing from his
> mind as a career-- if not for the goodness of God and the love of the
> people who cared for him. This he acknowledges publicly.
>
> The young man was Mel Gibson. His life was the inspiration for his
> production of the movie "The Man Without A Face." He is to be admired by
> all of us as a God-fearing man, a political conservative and an example to
> all of a true man of courage.
>
> Mel Gibson has produced the movie "The Passion of the Christ." This is
> his way of thanking God for his many blessings. And it's also his way of
> showing us how Christ truly suffered. He's gotten a lot of flack from
> Hollywood for producing this movie. Go see the movie when it's released on
> Feb. 25th. It will change your life forever!
>
> And Now You Know The Rest of the Story
>
> Live Well
> Laugh Often
> Love Much
>
Duckie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #29  
Syn
ONE BITE AT A TIME*Loser*

Hi Everyone,

I went to my WW meeting today and weighed in, I am down 1.6 pounds...not a good loss, but better than a gain. So I will take it!!

I don't have time to post much tonite, just know I am thinking of all of you and cheering you on in your attempts to stay on program (which ever one you are on!)

I liked this quote:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming -- WOW -- What A Ride!

I read it some place and can't remember the author, but I loved it!!
Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #30  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

I am so glad to be here tonight! Things are coming together in so many places in my life and falling apart further in others. But no matter what goes on in my world, I always have this group to count on. It is so wonderful to have a place to go to where everyone is real with each other. You are all such an amazing comfort and constant inspiration.

Thin, had to let you know, I made it to Curves 3 times this week. So glad you made it as well!

2cute, I'm glad you're feeling better again. Please stay away from everyone for a few days (I'd be happier if you could do it for a full week!) so your stressed out immune system has a chance to get back in gear.

Blue and Stinger, WELCOME! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

Syn, I love that quote! A fantastic life philosophy there.

Chicks, I want to do more replies, but I'm really wiped out. I just got off a long (almost 3 hours) and emotional phone call with my best friend, and there isn't much left of me. I have BMX races tomorrow morning, taxes in the afternoon and a wedding in the evening. There is a baby blessing to go to on Sunday, but the rest of the day is for relaxing! If I hope to get through any of it tomorrow though, I'd better be headed to bed tonight. Night!

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote