Old 03-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #61  
the muse of memory

Default African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Ingredients

Cooking spray
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2+ tablespoons chunky peanut butter (use reduced sugar or natural)
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 can black beans, 15-oz, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Flour tortillas

Toppings
Salsa
Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh cilantro
Fat free sour cream or yogurt, if you like

1. Chop raw sweet potatoes into chunks. Put in an oven-safe dish or roasting pan, spray with cooking spray and roast in a 415 degree oven until soft (about 30 to 45 minutes). I added 1/2 of a chunked onion on the bottom, and cooked them uncovered for 15 minutes, and covered for the rest of the cooking time. After about 40 minutes, I turned off the oven and left them in there for another 1/2 hour until I was ready to use them.

ALTERNATIVELY: you can simply use canned sweet potatoes. If your sweet potatoes are canned in syrup, drain and rinse them before using. They'll be about 30-40 calories more per cup than un-syruped potatoes.

2. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked (or if you are using canned), sautée the onion in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the garlic and sautée for another minute. Don't let the garlic burn.

3. Add black beans, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter to the skillet. Stir together and mash to the consistency you prefer. My sweet potatoes were well-cooked, so I ended up with a texture similar to that of refried beans.

4. Add cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat a few more minutes until heated through, stirring to ensure the mixture doesn't scorch.

5. Meanwhile, heat your favorite tortillas. Spoon a portion of the mixture into the center. Add salsa and whatever toppings you like (I think the cilantro is a must, but there is no need for cheese). Fold to enclose fillings and serve.

I get four servings at 220 calories/serving for the sweet potato and black bean mixture - varying by the size of the potatoes. Total calories per serving would depend on the tortillas you use and whether or not you add sour cream. Really interesting: great texture, unique flavor - I think the spicy/sweet combination. Easy to make, and easy on the budget and mad crazy healthy.

Last edited by mnemosyne; 03-14-2005 at 10:24 PM.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #62  
newchick

Default Quick Oriental Soup

Quick Oriental Soup
1 can reduced fat chicken broth
1 can water
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 green onions - chopped
1 can chunk chicken breast
fresh bok choy leaves - chopped (I use two or three)

mix in a bowl, microwave until boiling - serve!
can add whatever oriental style veggies you like, I like water chestnuts and bamboo
Delicious and fast and satisfying!

Last edited by newchick; 03-15-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: forgot a step
newchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #63  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Garlic Pita Pizzas

Ok, this isn't exactly brain surgery, but this particular combination of foods tasted SO GOOD, so I thought I'd share.

1 Pita Pocket (I choose Sahara whole wheat)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 fresh basil leaf
4-6 slices of tomato, depending on size
1 oz of mozarella cheese
2 Kraft 2% low fat singles

Preheat oven to 375
Open one pita pocket, and place rough side up on cookie sheet, bake for about 8 minutes.
Drizzle both pita pieces with olive oil and top with the garlic, tomato, cheese and then basil. Place back in oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the edges of the pockets are browned.

The combination of the fresh mozarella and kraft singles is super rich and creamy, it makes you feel like you're eating tons of mozarella. Plus, the garlic infuses into the oil and bread and it tastes like you're eating garlic bread...sooooo yummy.

Each pita pocket half has about 120 calories.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #64  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Here's a recipe that even passes the test of my boyfriend who hates anything vegetarian or "diety." He and my friends love them! You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy them, and it's a good way to cut down on your red meat. And the best part is that once I'm done making a batch, I pack them individually in the little zip-lock sandwhich bags and store them in the freezer. So whenever I want one, all I have to do open up a bag and throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Karen's Veggie Burritos

-One package of Soy Taco "meat" (Comes in a sausage-like tube in the refrigerated vegetarian section of the grocery stores)*
-One cup of wild rice
-One cup of chopped peppers (Any color will do, depending on your taste; I like to combine red, green, and yellow)
-One cup of chopped onions
-One cup of salsa
-One can of pinto beans or fat-free refried beans
-One cup of low fat or fat-free cheese (I've experimented with soy cheese as well)
-Two packages of burrito shells (I usually get the whole wheat or "low carb" ones)
-One taco seasoning packet (optional)

*If you cannot find the Soy Taco mix, you may substitute one package of "ground beef" style soy mix and add one package of taco seasoning

Cook the rice as directed on the package.

Add the taco "meat" and mix well over low heat.

Stir in the peppers, onions, and beans.

Taste a sample to see if you'd like it spicier. If so, add the taco seasoning packet to taste. I always used to automatically add it to compensate for the rice, but I've recently discovered it's also good without it.)

Stir in the cheese until it melts.

Stuff the mix you've just made into your warmed burrito shells.

Viola!

And you don't have to be exact with the portions of the ingredients, this is just a rough guideline. Get creative!

If you're not in the mood for burritos, this mix is also great for making stuffed peppers.
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

These are WW Core recipes from the WW Website.

1. Wild Mushroom Sauce
Perfect for turkey and ground sirloin meatballs.

2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 cups sliced shiitake and/or cremini mushrooms (or a combination of wild mushrooms)
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until they start to release juice. Add chicken broth and thyme and bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes, until sauce thickens (sauce should reduce to about 1 1/2 cups). Remove from heat, add parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Serves 4 (serving size: 1/3 cup)
POINTS® value per serving: 1

2. Sour Cream-Blue Cheese Dip
Superb dip for vegetables or topping for baked potatoes.

2/3 cup nonfat sour cream
1/3 cup nonfat blue cheese dressing
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Serves 4 (serving size: 1/4 cup)
POINTS value per serving: 1

3. Key West Marinade
Especially great with fish and shellfish.

3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp canola oil
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.

4. Cilantro-Soy Sauce with Scallions
Excellent dip for vegetables or marinade for chicken, turkey and pork tenderloin.

1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh scallions (green and white portions)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

POINTS value per serving: 0

5. Mandarin-Teriyaki Sauce
Spoon over skinless chicken and turkey, pork tenderloin, fish and shellfish or use as a marinade.

1/2 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
11 oz. can mandarin oranges in juice or water (not syrup), drained
2 tbsp diced red onion

6. Sweet and Hot Mustard Sauce
Great for fish and shellfish or as a dip for fresh vegetables.

1 cup nonfat sour cream
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Splenda sweetener (2 packets)
1 tsp hot sauce

7. Tangy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
A perfect sauce for chicken, turkey and fish.

2 cups chopped roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar, or freshly roasted without oil)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Serves 4 (serving size: 3 tablespoons)

8. Sundried Tomato Sauce
Excellent dip with fat-free cheese or as a topping for chicken, turkey, fish, and lean beef.

1 cup sundried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

9. Creamy Basil Pesto
Try this as a dip and sauce for chicken, fish, vegetables, and whole wheat pasta.

2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup nonfat sour cream
2 tbsp fat-free parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic, chopped

10. Mango Chutney
Perfect for pork tenderloin, chicken and turkey.

2 cups chopped fresh mango
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 teaspoons Splenda sweetener (2 packets)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan and set pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until mango breaks down and sauce thickens (sauce should reduce to about 1 cup).

Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #66  

Here are some recipes I really like

Orange Angel Food Cake Dessert

1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
1 package (0.3 ounce) sugar free orange jello
3/4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cold water
1 and 1/2 c. cold fat free milk
1 package (1 ounce) sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp. orange extract
1 carton light cool whip (8 ounces)
1 small naval orange, halved and sliced

Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Immediately invert tube pan; cool completely.
In a small bowl, dissolve jello in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside. Cut cake into 2 inch slices; arrange cake slices in an ungreased 13 x 9 dish. With a meat fork, poke holes about 2 inches apart in the cake. Slowly pour jello over cake: refrigerate.
In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Whisk in extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Garnish with orange slices and almonds. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Makes 15 servings.

(This tastes kind of like an orange creamsicle cake)

Serving Size: 1/15 of the recipe
Calories: 184
------------------------------------------------------------

Garlic Herb Bread

1 1/2 cups water
4 tsp margarine or softened butter
2 cloves crushed garlic
4 cups bread flour
2 tblsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry rosemary leaves
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dry thyme
1 3/4 tsp yeast

1. measure and add liquid ingredients to bread pan.
2. measure and add dry ingredients except yeast to bread pan Use your finger to form a well in the flour where you will pour the yeast. Yeast must NEVER come in contact with a liquid when you are adding ingredients. Measure the yeast carefully, and pour into the well.
4. Snap the breadpan into the breadmaker and close lid.
Bake at basic settings.
If you wish, you may put dough on the rise / dough setting, and take out and form the dough into Challa (braided) bread, or buns etc. I don't punch down the bread and remove all the air when I do this, then let it raise to at least double and bake in regular oven.
YUMMMMM!!!!!!

This recipe was shared with me by my Mother. I swear it is the very best bread I have ever eaten!!
I am quite happy to eat just the bread (it is so moist you do not really need butter) and a salad for a meal.

This recipe makes 2 braided loaves of bread.
Calories:
Serving size:
1/8 of the recipe (or 1/4 of a loaf of bread, that's a pretty big serving)

--------------------------------------------------------

Red Potatoes and Onion in Foil

One 4 oz. red potato, washed and sliced thinly (keep skin on)
1/4 c. thinly sliced onion
1 tsp light margarine
Aluminum foil
Cooking spray

Spray one side of a piece of foil with the nonstick spray. In the center of the foil, place the potatoes and onions. Dot the top with margarine and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Wrap up the foil around the potatoes so it makes a little packet (make sure the foil seam is up or the packet will leak!)
Place packet on a a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about an hour or until potatoes are tender. You can also cook these on a BBQ.

Serving Size: This makes 1 serving
Calories: 140
--------------------------------------------------------------

Cheesy Mexican Crockpot Chicken

6 (5 oz) Boneless Chicken breast
1 Can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Can Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 Can diced tomatoes with green chiles
8oz. Egg Noodles

Place chicken in crock pot. Mix soups with Rotel. Pour over chicken. Cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on High. In the last 30 minutes add the noodles.

Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
Calories: 450
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomato Sandwiches with Olive Mayonnaise

2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste

7 black olives, chopped
6 Tblsp. light mayonnaise
6 large lettuce leaves
12 slices sourdough bread, toasted

Place sliced tomatoes in a shallow dish. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the tomato slices and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the olives and mayonnaise. Spread 6 slices of toast with the mayonnaise mixture, arrange tomato slices on top, then drizzle any remaining dressing from the bowl over the top. Top each with a lettuce leaf and cover with remaining bread.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Calories: 244
justonestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #67  

Sugar Free Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Cook in large saucepan until thickened.

Stir in one .3 oz box sugar free strawberry jello and 10 packages of Splenda or Equal. (You need to use a wisk for this.)

Add 3 cups sliced strawberries.

Place in a cooked pie shell.

Top with Cool Whip Free.

(Prior to topping)
121 calories, 5 grams fat, 17 grams carbs (mostly from pie shell)
makes 8 servings

I know the carbs are pretty high. I used frozen pie crusts and got the nutrition information off the package. In one slice of pie the crust has 90 calories, five grams of fat and 11 grams of carbs. So as you can see, if you omit the crust, the darn stuff is almost free and if you find a lower calorie/carb pie crust you can dramatically lower the calories and carbs.

Last edited by Lilion; 05-07-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #68  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default This is from our old friend Syn!

Plate Licker Frozen Snickers Bars - 3 ww points

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desert

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 c fat-free ice cream -- Chocolate, softened
1 c Cool Whip Lite®

1 package sugar-free vanilla pudding and pie filling
1/4 c reduced-fat peanut butter

Mix together (with electric mixer). Put into 8x8 pan. Put in
freezer for 2 hours. Cut into 8 bars

Side note: I'm thinking of lining the pan with foil or plastic wrap so the thing is easier to pop out of the pan and then wrapping the individual bars so they can be used later without tying up the pan.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #69  

Smile Skillet Zucchini

UPDATE This recipe was submitted to (www) allrecipes.com and they accepted it! If you decide to make it - go there and post a review, ok??? One of my favorite recipes and it is Zucchini Season after all. It runs about 1 WW pt a cup I'd say. Leave out the water and bread crumbs if you want - it can be juicy enough with just the tomatoes. I just use a couple of tbsp of margarine.

¼ cup (or less) butter or margarine
6 medium zucchini
1 onion
2 tomatoes
4 slices pre-cooked bacon
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup water
1 T soy sauce
2 T bread crumbs (approx. and if desired)
grated cheddar cheese (fat free)
parmesan cheese

Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced zucchini and onion, chunked tomatoes and bacon, salt, pepper and water. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in soy sauce and bread crumbs. Top with cheddar cheese. Cover and cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle servings with parmesan cheese.

Last edited by Lilion; 11-03-2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: I'm on Allrecipes.com!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Beat the heat with the slow cooker

These are copied directly from the Weight Watcher's website:

Your slow cooker doesn't deserve to be shut in the attic for the warmer months. Break it out early this year for delicious, easy late-summer meals.

Summer Squash Soup
Combine 3 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced; 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced; 2 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white part only); 1 teaspoon rubbed (dry) sage; 1 teaspoon dried thyme; salt; and ground pepper to taste in a slow cooker. Stir in 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth. Cover and cook on high until tender, 4-6 hours. Puree in batches in a food processor or a large blender. Serve hot or cold. Makes 8 servings, 1 cup each.

Summery Ratatouille
Combine 6 large tomatoes, chopped; 4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced; 2 large onions, thinly sliced; 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 1 large eggplant, chopped; 2 teaspoons dried basil; 2 teaspoons dried oregano; salt; and ground pepper to taste in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until tender, 4-5 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.

Fresh Fruit Compote
Combine 3 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped; 2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and chopped; 2 medium nectarines, peeled, pitted, and chopped; and 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped in a slow cooker. Stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour in 1 cup apple juice. Cover and cook on high until the fruit is soft, about 4 hours. Makes 8 servings, ¾ cup each.
POINTS® value per serving: 2

Vegetable Soup
Core and shred 1 small head of green cabbage and place it in the slow cooker. Add 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced; 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped; 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped; and 1 medium onion, chopped. Stir in one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low until the cabbage is tender, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.

Fresh Tomato Rice Soup
Chop 32 Roma tomatoes or 15 beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 pounds) and place them in a slow cooker. Stir in 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth and 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice. Add 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced, and 1 medium onion, finely chopped. Stir in 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low until the rice is tender, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.
POINTS® value per serving: 2

Pineapple BBQ Flank Steak
Peel and shred 2 medium sweet potatoes and place them in the slow cooker. Lay a 1-pound flank steak, well trimmed, on top. In a large bowl, combine 1 small onion, finely chopped; one 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice; 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth; 1 teaspoon ground dry ginger; 1/4 cup reduced-sodium jarred barbecue sauce; 1 tablespoon honey; 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard; salt; and ground pepper to taste. Pour this mixture over the steak. Cover and cook on high until the steak is tender enough to shred, using two large forks, about 6-7 hours. Makes 4 servings, about 1 cup each.
POINTS® value per serving: 7

Baked Beans
Drain and rinse two 15-ounce cans pinto beans and place them in the slow cooker. Stir in one 14-ounce can diced tomatoes; 1 medium onion, finely chopped; 1/2 cup water; 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar; 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses; 1 tablespoon dry mustard; 2 teaspoons liquid smoke; 1 teaspoon celery seed; 1 teaspoon salt; and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Cover and cook on low until the flavors have melded, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 3/4 cup each.
POINTS® value per serving: 3

Spiced Apple Iced Tea
Thinly slice two Granny Smith apples and place them on the bottom of your slow cooker along with 2 cinnamon sticks and 4 whole cloves. Add 6 Red Zinger or other herbal tea bags and 3 quarts water. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Strain and discard the solids. Chill tea and serve over ice. Makes 6 servings, 2 cups each.
POINTS® value per serving: 0

Artichokes
Trim the stems off 4 large globe artichokes. Slice one inch off the top of each artichoke, then trim 1/2 inch off the top of each outer leaf. Halve each artichoke through the stem, then scoop out and discard the fuzzy centers. Place the halves in a slow cooker; add enough hot water to cover the artichokes and 1 lemon, thinly sliced. Cover the cooker and cook on high until tender, about 5 hours. Serve hot or cold. Makes 8 servings, ½ artichoke each.
POINTS® value per serving: 0

Corn on the Cob
Place 8 ears husked corn in a slow-cooker, cover with warm water, and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to low and allow the slow cooker to keep the corn warm until you're ready to eat. Makes 8 servings; one piece of corn per serving.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #71  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default One more for the crockpot.

Chicken Stroganoff

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

1 pound frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. carton fat free sour cream
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Put frozen chicken in bottom of crockpot. Mix soup, sour cream,
onion soup mix and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 7 hours.
Makes 6 servings. 4 WW points per serving.
(serve it over rice or noodles, but be sure to add those points)
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #72  
DoxieMomx2

Banana Cream Pie
POINTS® Value | 3
Servings | 8

Ingredients

1 Ready Crust 25% Less-Fat Graham Cracker Ready pie crust
4 oz Cool Whip Free Whipped Topping
1 large banana(s)
4 serving fat-free sugar-free instant banana pudding and pie filling mix
1 1/2 cup fat-free skim milk

Instructions

Mix dry pudding mixes with Skim Milk. Fold in one half 8 oz tub FF Cool Whip. Layer bottom of crust with banana. Pour pudding mixture over top, dollop each slice with FF Cool Whip.

Cheesy Crockpot Chicken

POINTS® Value | 6
Servings | 5

Ingredients

3 cup Campbell's (U.S.) Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cup Campbell's (U.S.) Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 pound cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast

Instructions
Add soups and garlic poweder in crockpot and stir until well blended. Layer chicken breasts on top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

You can add 1/2 c. cooked rice, but remember to add the points. I've also poured it over 2 slices of lo-cal toast.

Last edited by DoxieMom; 07-26-2005 at 04:27 PM.
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #73  
Inch by Inch, Its a Cinch

Default Adding a few of my favorites

These are a few of my favorites:

---------------------
Chai Rasin Oatmeal

(1 serving)

3/4 cup of 1 minute oatmeal
1/4 cup of chai instant mix
1/4 cup raisins
2 teaspoons Splenda
1 1/2 cups of skim milk
Combine all ingredants and mix well. Cook in microwave for 2 minutes or bring milk to a boil on stove top and add dry ingredients and cook for one minute while mixing.

-----------------------

Tomato & Cucumber Salad (from dwlz.com)
Makes 1 serving

Ingredients:
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large cucumber, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Garlic & salt (to taste)
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
Mix above together and refrigerate several hours to mix flavors. This recipe
has 0 points! Add 3/4 oz feta cheese (really good) and it's only 2 points!

----------------------

Hoisin Marinated Pork Chops (we had these at Christmas..yummy!)

1/4 C. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 C. hoisin sauce
1/4 C. honey
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 (4-oz.) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
Cooking spray

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add pork chops. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. Prepare grill. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done. Note: Store cooked pork in refrigerator for up to 2 days.

This can be cut down to serve 2,4, or 6; just change the number of chops but keep the marinade the same. You can also broil in the oven (which is what we did)

Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 pork chop
Calories: 188
Fat: 6.2g
Fiber: 0g
----------------------------

Individual Tiramisu-Style Cups (Diabetic Cooking March/April 2004)
Makes 2 servings (1/2 cup serving)

4 whole ladyfingers, torn into bite-size pieces
6 tbsp. cold strong coffee or
1/3 cup water and 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (mixed together until
dissolved)
2 packets Splenda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup fat-free whipped topping
1-1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. sliced almonds

Place half of the ladyfinger pieces in each of two 6 oz pyrex dishes.
Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine coffee, Splenda and vanilla. Stir until Splenda dissolves. Spoon 3 tbsps of coffee mixture over each serving of ladyfinger pieces.

Place whipped topping in a small bowl. Fold in cocoa until blended.
Spoon topping over each dessert. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile, place a small skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add
almonds and toast 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.

At time of serving, sprinkle almonds over each dessert.

Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch; 1 fat
Calories 148;Fat 5g;Carbs 22g;Protein 4g;Chol 80mg;Sodium 43mg;Fiber
1g
----------------------------

Kashi Good Friends Treats (kashi.com)
16 servings. I get 2 POINTS per serving

Ingredients

6 cups Kashi Good Friends cereal
1 7oz. jar Marshmallow cream
2 tbsp. peanut butter (I use reduced fat)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. Hershey's choc. syrup (optional-but I used)
Instructions

Mix together marshmallow cream, vanilla, peanut butter and syrup. Melt in
microwave on High for 30 seconds. Stir and continue microwaving at 15 second intervals til it can be stirred smooth. Add cereal and stir until well-blended.

Press into 8x8 pan coated with cooking spray. (I put baggies sprayed with cooking spray over my hands;works great to press!) Refrigerate until cool. If desired, drizzle with the Hershey's syrup. Cut into 16 squares.
-----------------------

Honey-Lime Chicken (kraft.com)

Serves 4

1/2 cup Honey Mustard
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. grated lime peel (optional)
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)

Mix mustard, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and lime peel until well blended. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mustard mixture for serving with cooked chicken.
Grill or broil chicken 15 minutes or until cooked through, turning and brushing occasionally with remaining mustard mixture. Serve with reserved 1/2 cup mustard mixture.
-----------------------

Macaroni and Cheese Salad

Serving: 8

1 16 oz package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1/2 cup fresh peas (I used shredded carrots; made it prettier and I HATE peas!)
1 cup reduced fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup low fat mayonnaise

Combine ingredients together in a bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve.

Calories: 160
Total Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 8 g
-------------------

Pepperoni Pizza Salad (this hits the spot when I crave the real stuff)

Servings: 6 (1-1/4 cup)

1 16 oz package rotini
3/4 cup Ragu or Prego Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
3/4 cup (4 oz) reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup (1-3/4 oz) turkey pepperoni, halved
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (fresh or canned)
1 cup Green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
1 tomato, chopped

Directions
Cook rotini to desired doneness as directed on package, omitting
salt. Drain; rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile, combine pasta sauce, oil and Italian seasoning in a large
bowl; blend well. Add cooked rotini and remaining ingredients to
pasta sauce mixture; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving
time.
--------------------

Raspberry Brulee Recipe

1 cup raspberries
2 cups nonfat milk
2 tablespoons nonfat powdered milk
3/4 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 teaspoons packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Gradually add powdered milk to liquid milk and mix until dissolved. Add egg substitute, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
Place raspberries evenly in the bottom of six, 6-8 ounce custard cups or desert bowls. Pour mixture over raspberries. Place custard cups in a baking dish filled with 1 inch of water for 30-40 minutes or until custard is set. Sprinkle 1-teaspoon brown sugar over each cup. Broil with tops 4-6 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes or until brown sugar is melted. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 Servings

Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 152
Total fat: 4 grams
Saturated fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 117 mg
Carbohydrate: 23 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Dietary fiber: 1 gram
--------------------

Zippy Cauliflower

Serves 6

3 cups cauliflower
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
1/2 teaspoon light margarine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Steam cauliflower just until tender; drain. Melt margarine in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. In a jar with a lid combine flour, red pepper, salt, pepper, and milk; shake until blended. Slowly add to margarine in saucepan, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in chiles. Arrange cauliflower in a 2 quart baking dish; pour sauce over cauliflower, then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbling.

52 Calories;1g Fat;5g Protein;7g Carbs;1g Fiber;3mg Chol;191mg Sodium
--------------

Enjoy!

Last edited by netekay; 08-01-2005 at 08:23 PM.
netekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #74  

Default Quick and Easy Goulash

1 lb sirloin, sliced thin
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes, crushed
1 1/2 cups rotini pasta

Brown sirloin in skillet. Add onion and pepper and cook for a few minutes. Add all other ingredients except pasta, stir well and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook, uncovered, until pasta is tender.

I'm afraid I don't know the nutrition info, but it makes 4 servings at 8 WW pts. each.

When I made this, I didn't have any green pepper and so I substituted it and the diced tomatos with a 10 oz. can of Rotel and a couple of ripe, fresh chopped tomatoes instead. Gave it a nice kick.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #75  

Default All Bran Banana (or apple) muffins

I just tried this one this morning, and it's good.

All Bran Banana Muffins

1 cup All-Bran cereal
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup sugar or Splenda (I found the muffins a tad too sweet so I will decrease the amount of sweetener with my next batch.)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1 cup mashed bananas (approx 2 bananas) (I plan to substitute diced apples with my next batch, and add some cinnamon.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree.
2. Combine dry ingredients and add egg, water, milk and banana.
3. Mix until well combined.
4. Spoon into muffin pan sprayed with Pam or lined with paper muffin thingees.
5. Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes or until cooked when tested.
6. Note- The time required for cooking may vary. You might want to check it at 30 minutes.

The original recipe said this makes 10 servings, but I made six muffins. This morning I ate one of the smaller muffins, about half the height of the larger one (I poured too much into one muffin tray and too little into another), and it was filling. I'll save the largest muffin for a day I'm particularly hungry.

Anyway, lots of good fiber in this one.

6 servings
Nutritional Info per serving: (For recipe using Sugar. Adjust accordingly if you substitute Splenda for sugar)
Calories: 194
Fat: 2 grams (2%)
Cholesterol: 32
Sodium: 199
Carbs: 45
Fiber: 6

Food Exchanges:
Starch/bread: 1
Other Carbo: 1
Fruit: 1/2

Note: Above nutritional info is for recipe using sugar and banana, as opposed to Splenda and apple.

Another thing to note is that I've found the whole muffin to be quite filling and have been eating a half muffin for breakfast, but as you can see from the above nutritional info, one sixth of this recipe is still pretty good.

Last edited by changes; 08-23-2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Adding nutritional info
changes is offline   Reply With Quote