Old 02-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default Yum!!!!

Gingered Chicken Breast
I got this off of the South Beach Recipes section of 3FC, and boy was it ever GOOD! Even if you aren't low-carbing it, this is a GREAT choice to make!!!
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Combine first four ingredients in a bowl. Place chicken in large bowl, and cover with mixture, making sure both sides are covered. Cover and refrigerate 30 mins-2 hours. Once refrigerated, cook chicken on medium-high until done. (Roughly 30-45 mins).
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #92  

This is from allrecipes.com - the BEST recipe site!

Chicken and Corn Chili

INGREDIENTS:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans

DIRECTIONS:
Place chicken and salsa in the slow cooker the night before you want to eat this chili. Season with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 6 to 8 hours on Low setting.
About 3 to 4 hours before you want to eat, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Return the meat to the pot, and continue cooking.
Stir the corn and the pinto beans into the slow cooker. Simmer until ready to serve.

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 206
Total Fat: 2.5g
Cholesterol: 41mg
Sodium: 948mg
Total Carbs: 25.7g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Protein: 21.2g
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #93  

Talking

I made Thin's potato soup last night, with a few alterations. It was yummy! I also got more points than what her recipe said...don't know how she got her's that low. Thought I'd post my version! It only took about 1/2 hour too...a good, quick meal!

Potato Soup

1 bag O’brien frozen hash browns
3 soup-size cans fat free chicken broth
1 envelope country gravy mix
2 crumbled pieces of pre-cooked bacon
spices to taste (I used Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder)

Put frozen potatoes, chicken broth and seasonings in a soup pot. Bring to a boil and let simmer until potatoes are thawed. Mix gravy mix in about a ½ cup water and whisk to get rid of most of the lumps. Add to soup. Simmer on low until the gravy mix thickens the broth a bit. Soup will thicken further as it stands.

Makes about 8 cups. 3 WW point per cup (same with or without the bacon)

Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #94  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

From my FAVORITE magazine, Cooking Light. These pancakes are DELICIOUS! Not at all heavy or extra dense - the combination of whole wheat flour, reg. flour and farina does the trick for lighter and flufflier whole wheat pancakes!!! :-) See nutritional info at bottom

Hearty Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup uncooked farina (such as Cream of Wheat)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup applesauce (I used a mashed banana instead)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1/2 cup golden raisins, divided
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, divided (I skipped this ingredient in order to lower the fat)
1/4 cup maple syrup

Lightly spoon the flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, farina, and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine milk, applesauce, and egg in a medium bowl, stirring until well blended. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Let batter stand 5 minutes. (This is an important step - I usually let it stand for at least 10).

Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto pan; sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons raisins and 2 teaspoons walnuts. Cook 1 minute or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over, and cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining batter, raisins, and walnuts. Serve with syrup.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes and 2 teaspoons maple syrup)

CALORIES 347(23% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 1g,mono 1.3g,poly 5.1g); PROTEIN 8.8g; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 142mg; SODIUM 537mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 4.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 61.1g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2004

Last edited by ThisGirlsLosing; 03-28-2006 at 02:26 PM.
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #95  
Working it out...

Also from Cooking Light. This could NOT be easier! I SWEAR! Again, see nutritional info at bottom.

This is more of a bean soup than a chili. To make it more of a chili without adding the cholesterol of ground beef or poultry, I've added Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™ (you can find it in the frozen food section, along with frozen veggies and such) which is a vegetarian version of ground beef. It's yummy to add to pasta sauces too! :-)

Jane's Vegetarian Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups water, divided (I use chicken stock for a more rubust flavor. Swanson's makes a delicious low sodium, non-fat, non-cholesterol one called "Natural Goodness™ Chicken Broth")
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder (i'm not much into chili powder. i used a pinch of ground ancho pepper instead - adds a nice earthy flavor and depthness)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (dont' skip this ingredient - it adds amazing flavor!)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.

Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup)

CALORIES 276(11% from fat); FAT 3.5g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.3g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 12.7g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 107mg; SODIUM 587mg; FIBER 14.7g; IRON 4.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49.7g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005
Old 04-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #96  
Working it out...

Quinoa Tabbouleh

A staple in the diet of the ancient Incas, quinoa (KEEN-wah) is well on its way to being dubbed supergrain of the millennium. High in fiber and a high-quality protein similar to that found in meat, this grain cooks up like rice and has a mild flavor similar to couscous. Quinoa can be found in health-food stores and many supermarkets.

1 3/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
1/4 cup raisins (I have never added this and don't miss it though I do add some currants once in a while to contrast the lemon juice)
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I usually use lime juice, cuz that's what i grew up with)
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 182(24% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 259mg; FIBER 5.3g; IRON 3.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.6g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 1999

Last edited by ThisGirlsLosing; 04-12-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #97  
Working it out...

Tofu, Asparagus, and Red Pepper Stir-Fry with Quinoa

Quinoa packs iron, fiber, and potassium into this meatless main dish.

Dressing:
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Dash of crushed red pepper

Stir-fry:
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups red bell pepper strips
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus (about 1 pound)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cubed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

To prepare dressing, combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.

To prepare stir-fry, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes; fluff with a fork.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, salt, and tofu; stir-fry 3 minutes. Stir in dressing. Serve over quinoa, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup stir-fry and 1/2 cup quinoa)

CALORIES 273(29% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 1.2g,mono 2.9g,poly 3.8g); PROTEIN 11.9g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 96mg; SODIUM 435mg; FIBER 8.2g; IRON 6.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.7g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2001
Old 05-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #98  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I absolutely love my mom's version of Swiss Steak. I thought I'd try to make a variation on that, and do Swiss Chicken. YUM! I made it tonight and it was an instant favorite with both me and hubby.

3 Lg Boneless/Skinless Chicken breasts, halved
1 can low sodium sliced, stewed tomatoes**
1 can regular sliced, stewed tomatoes**
2 medium white or yellow onions, sectioned
Olive oil to coat the pan

I generally cook the breasts for half an hour before adding the other ingredients. They're nearly done at that point, but won't lose their moistness. Then, I add the canned stewed tomatoes and the onion and set it on medium for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.***

This is excellent when served with lightly buttered or roasted potatoes, but I generally serve it with a large salad and cooked green beans.

** I generally use the canned tomatoes when I am short on time. You can use fresh tomatoes (and the flavor is typically better!) if you have time to stew them and let them cook down. Use 2 Roma tomatoes and 2-3 regular tomatoes for this method.

***Using a slow cooker is also an option for this recipe. 3-4 hours medium heat or 6+ hours for low heat, depending on your slow cooker.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Turkey Shepherds Pie (WW recipe)

Ingredients -

720 g (1 lb 10 oz) potatoes peeled and quartered.
450 g (1 lb) minced Turkey
1 Large Onion chopped finely
300 ml (1/2 pint) chicken or vegetable stock
6 Tablespoons of semi skimmed milk
1 Tablespoon of cornflour
Salt and Pepper

Method - Put the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, heat a non stick saucepan or frying pan and dry fry the minced turkey with the onion for about 3 minutes. Then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and mash well. Add the milk and seasoning, then beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until they are light and fluffy. Alternatively use a hand held electric beater to whisk the potatoes for a few moments.

Blend the cornflour with about 2 tablespoons of cold water and add to the minced turkey mixture, stirring to blend. Cook until thickened, then remove from the heat.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190c/375f.

Transfer the turkey mixture to an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until thoroughly heated and the surface is brown.

Serves 4 (340 calories per serving) 5 points per serving.
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #100  
Michigan Old-Timer

I snitched these from the Holiday Recipes page of 3FCs. Thought with the holidays approaching I would put them up here. The first one has Points, as well as nutrition values so it will be good for everyone. The second only has WW Points, sorry.

Pumpkin Pie
Recipe By : kemogo from WW forum
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups pumpkin
1 cup egg beaters® 99% egg substitute
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
16 packets equal® sweetener
pinch salt

Beat all ingredients together and pour into a 9" glass pie plate sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Serves 8. Per serving: 55.6 Cal, 0.1g Fat, 0.4g Fiber= 1 Point per serving.

Pumpkin Pie

1 15 oz can pumpkin
1/2 c egg beaters
1 1/2 c skim milk
1/2 t salt
3/4 c Splenda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Beat all till smooth. Pour into Pam-sprayed pie plate. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, then at 375 for 45 minutes.

Whole pie = 4 points
No, this isn't a typo! The whole pie is really 4 points
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #101  
Each step gets me closer

S/C/G: 307/289/150

Height: 5'10

TACO SOUP

Approx. 1 lb of ground turkey (or lean beef, pork, chicken, whatever)
onion, diced (as much as you want)
minced garlic (as much as you want)
mushrooms, fresh or canned (as much as you want)
1 paket of taco seasoning
1 can of tomato soup (low sodium)
1 can of water
1 can of beef broth (low sodium)
3 diced potatoes
whole kernal corn (as much as you want) - I used frozen
**all of the veggies are optional, you can add or subtract anything you'd like, I made it both with & without the potatoes & also with chili beans too

Brown & drain the meat
Add onions, garlic & mushrooms, cook til onions are getting translucent
Add the rest of the ingredients
Bring to a slow boil & cook til potatoes are tender (20-25 mins)

Serve as is or with a little cheese, sour cream & tortias. I like it plain! It also freezes beautifully.
nonamesleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #102  
colleen

S/C/G: 390/see ticker/200

Height: 5' 5''

Default easy strawberry cream pie

Half of a 12-oz. can frozen orange-strawberry-banana juice concentrate, th
awed
One 8-oz package fat free cream cheese
1 package (four 1/2-cup servings) sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cups light whipped topping
1 cup strawberries,chopped
one reduced-fat graham cracker crust

1.) In a blender or food processor, combine juice concentrate, cream cheese, and pudding mix; process until smooth.
2.) Transfer to large bowl; fold in whipped topping and strawberries.
3.) Transfer to pie crust; spread evenly. cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

makes 8 servings
per serving: 203 calories, 7g fat, 1g fiber (ww 4 pts.)
colneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #103  

Talking MMMmmm! Whole Wheat Banana Bread

Whole Wheat Banana Bread
POINTS® value per serving | 3
Servings | 12

I used applesauce sweetened with Splenda and also used one cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour. This was VERY good. A definate make over at my house.

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
2 large banana(s)
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup fat-free skim milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat applesauce, oil and honey together. Add egg beaters and mix well. Mash bananas and mix with vanilla. Combine with egg mixture. Separately, mix flour, cinnamon and salt. Add to banana mixture. Heat milk. Add baking soda to milk and stir well. Mix into the batter. Blend in nuts. Bake in loaf pan coated with cooking spray 55 to 60 minutes. Cool 15 minutes in pan on wire rack before removing
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #104  

Talking Buffalo Chicken Dip

Buffalo Chicken Dip
From the kitchen of LADYLILION
Servings | 16
Estimated POINTS® value per serving | 4
Course | Snacks

Ingredients

1 pound chicken breast, cooked, skinless
1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
16 oz light cream cheese (softened)
1 cup Reduced-Calorie Original Ranch Dressing
2 cup Finely Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese

Instructions

shred chicken (mine was just boiled for ease of cooking), heat in large skillet with hot sauce (I used Franks). add ranch and cream cheese and cook over med heat until melted and well blended. mix in as much cheddar cheese as you like. Put in 9 x 13 pan and cook in oven at 325 until bubbly. (1/2 hour?) melt remaining cheddar on top. (2% tends to harden when cooked on top, so mixing it in works better.) Serve with celery sticks.

Notes

You can adjust the hotness by using more or less of the hot sauce. I've seen it suggested that you use wing sauce instead of hot sauce, but I don't know the difference the calories/points are. Also I've heard of making it with Bleu Cheese, but I don't know how that would change it either. Makes a 9 x 13 pan so 16 BIG servings - maybe. You probably get a lot more than 16 servings. This was a BIG hit when I made it.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #105  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Some holiday treats from MSN Diet and Health

Litzer Cookies
This classic Austrian cookie is typically made with almonds and a raspberry jam, but a different nut or jam will work, too.

Makes: 2½ dozen

Per Cookie: 69 cal, 1 g pro, 12 g carb, 2 g fat, 0 g sat. fat, 7 mg chol, 0 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
2 WW points

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 10 to 12 minutes each batch

¼ c trans-free margarine or butter, softened
1 Tbsp canola oil
¾ c granulated sugar
Grated peel of l lemon (optional)
1 lg egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ c sliced almonds (optional)
1/3 c raspberry jam
Confectioners' sugar

1. Beat margarine, oil, granulated sugar and lemon peel, if using, until light. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until smooth.

2. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to sugar mixture, and stir by hand just until dough is soft. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate one hour, or until well chilled.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.

4. Between two pieces of wax paper, roll out one disk to ¼" thickness. Cut out cookies using a 1½"- to 2"-round cookie cutter or glass rim. Using a ½"-round or shaped cutter, cut centers out of half the cookies.

5. Place cookies 2" to 3" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cookies with centers cut out with almonds, if using, pressing gently to help them adhere.

6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden around edges. Transfer to rack to cool. Repeat with remaining disk, rerolling scraps once to get as many cookies as possible.

7. Spread solid cookies with jam, and sprinkle cut-out cookies lightly with confectioners' sugar. Top each solid cookie with a cut-out cookie.

Chocolava Cookies
This fudgy cookie, named for its cracked, lava-like appearance, is a chocolate lover's dream.

Makes: 2 Dozen

Per Cookie: 92 cal, 1 g pro, 18 g carb, 2 g fat, 0 g sat. fat, 0 mg chol, 1 g fiber, 71 mg sodium
2 WW points

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 12 to 14 minutes

1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 c granulated sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
½ c cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 lg egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for rolling

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar. Stir in margarine until mixture is well combined and crumbly. (This part can be done in a food processor.) Add egg whites and vanilla extract. Stir by hand just until dough comes together.

3. Place a few heaping spoonfuls of confectioners' sugar into shallow dish. Roll dough into 1½" balls, then roll balls in sugar to coat. Place 2" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until just set around edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to rack to cool.

Sweet Carrot Pumpkin Bars
A double whammy of pumpkin and carrots gives just one of these bars more than 100 percent of the daily value of vitamin A. The dried fruit and nuts add even more vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

Makes: 1 Dozen

Per Bar: 214 cal, 0 g pro, 34 g carb, 7 g fat, 1 g sat. fat, 18 mg chol, 2 g fiber, 152 mg sodium
4 WW points

Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes

1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 lg egg
1 lg egg white
1 c packed brown sugar
½ c canned pumpkin
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp trans-free margarine or butter, melted
Grated peel of 1 orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ c packed grated carrots
½ c raisins
1/3 c dried cranberries or chopped apricots
1/3 c chopped walnuts or pecans

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

3. In separate bowl, beat egg and egg white until foamy. Beat in sugar, pumpkin, oil, margarine, orange peel and vanilla extract until smooth.

4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir by hand until almost combined. Stir in carrots, raisins, cranberries and nuts just until blended.

5. Spread batter into 8"x 8" pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on rack.

Monster Cookies
These crisp, crunchy cookies contain no flour, which causes them to spread out on the pan when baked.

Per Cookie: 190 cal, 6 g pro, 28 g carb, 7 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 10 mg chol, 3 g fiber, 125 mg sodium
4 WW points

Cooking Time: 15 to 17 minutes

½ c reduced-fat peanut butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1 lg egg
1 lg egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 c rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ c chocolate chips
¼ c candy-coated mini-chocolate pieces

2. Combine margarine and peanut butter. Add sugar, egg, egg white and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.

3. Add oats, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and chocolate pieces. Mix well.

4. Drop spoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on baking sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until golden. Let cool a few minutes on sheet before removing to rack.

Hazelnut Cappaccino Biscotti
Biscotti means twice baked. Packed with hazelnuts and chocolate chips, these are perfect with coffee or a cappuccino.

Per Biscotti: 125 cal, 0 g pro, 21 g carb, 4 g fat, 1 g sat. fat, 10 mg chol, 1 g fiber, 87 mg sodium
3 WW points

Baking Time: 60 minutes

2 1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 c sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
½ tsp salt
¼ c strong coffee, cooled
1 Tbsp 1 percent milk
1 lg egg
1 lg egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ c hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
½ c chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate

2. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

3. In separate bowl, stir together coffee, milk, egg, egg white and vanilla extract. Add coffee mixture to flour mixture. Stir by hand just until dough is soft. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

4. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. With floured hands, shape into two 8" logs. Place logs 2" to 3" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray and flatten each into a rectangle about 3" wide.

5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and firm. Transfer logs to rack to cool 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F.

6. Place logs on cutting board, trim ends and cut each log diagonally into ½" to ¾" slices using a serrated knife. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet. Return to oven, and bake 20 minutes. Flip cookies over, and bake 20 minutes longer. Transfer to rack to cool.

Variation: For a shiny finish, brush the tops of the dough logs before baking with a glaze made with 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water.

Gingerbread People
If you want to hang these as ornaments, cut a small hole near the top with the end of a straw before baking. Once the cookies have cooled, thread a ribbon through the hole.

Makes: 3 Dozen

Per Cookie: 85 cal, 0 g pro, 17 g carb, 1 g fat, 0 g sat. fat, 0 mg chol, 2 g fiber, 86 mg sodium
1 WW points

Prep Time: 50 minutes
Baking Time: 10 to 15 minutes

½ c packed brown sugar
¾ c dark molasses
1/3 c cold water
3½ c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground clovesSmooth vanilla frosting (optional)

1. Beat margarine, sugar, molasses and water with electric mixer or by hand until smooth. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt and cloves.

2. Add flour mixture to molasses mixture, stirring by hand just until soft dough forms. Divide dough in half, shape each piece into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate two hours or overnight.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.

4. On lightly floured surface or between two pieces of wax paper, roll out one disk about 1/8" thick. Cut out cookies using 5" gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 1" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until set. (Bake a few minutes longer for crispier cookies.) Transfer to rack to cool. Repeat with remaining disk, rerolling scraps once to get as many cookies as possible. When cookies are completely cool, decorate with smooth vanilla frosting, if using.

NOTE: To make smooth vanilla frosting, combine 2½ cups confectioners' sugar, ¼ cup hot water, 1 teaspoon light corn syrup and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. This makes enough for 4 dozen cookies.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote