Old 09-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 370/

Height: 5'5"

Default My 600 lb life show

i am 363lbs ... I have been watching a show called my 600lb life , There is a "Dr. Now" on there that insists all his patients should lose a ton of weight on 1200 calories a day. Well it's baffling me.... Because I've been doing his 1200 calorie a day diet for 30 days and I've only lost 9 lbs. That's pretty slow going! I can't imagine going any lower in calories. Is it because I am so sedentary? I am so out of shape I have trouble walking more than a few feet at a time. Any idea how to kick start things? Dr. Now makes it sound like the weight will just fall off you at 1200 calories and like if 30 lbs a month doesnt fly off your hips you must be lying or cheating. But I am not cheating at all... so watching him scold his slow losing patients on the show now makes me feel pretty bad!
jiggleypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267 / 195 / 175

Height: 5'10"

9lb in 30 days sounds pretty good to me - well done! keep it up & that would be be 108lb in a year!
MrBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #3  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

9 pounds in a month is fantastic! Being able to stick to a 1200 calorie/day diet is awesome! Color me envious- this is definitely something I have yet to find a way to do.

I have seen that show and I thought Dr. Now also had some exercises for his patients. Additionally, a weight loss success story I read where the person started out really sedentary said the person started with seated workouts they found on-line.
Pipsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

jiggleypuffs I always thought Dr Now gives them too low of a calorie count really. It's hard for anyone to eat only 1200 calories day after day forever. What I have done is (and it's taken two years but I've done it) is to look up online how many calories I'd need to maintain my current weight. They have online calculators for that "calories needed to maintain weight calculators." I plugged in my age, weight, gender and sedentary and it will tell you how many calories you'd need to maintain this weight. At 264 pounds it said 2400 calories a day would maintain that so I ate less than that (maybe 2200). The weight came off. A pound or two a week, slowly but surely. When I lost enough that I quit losing with that many calories I reduced it. You can keep going back to the calculators for an idea. It still works for me now at 168. I am so close to being 100 pounds down. You can do it, it just takes daily counting those calories. I write each thing down I eat and the calories.
Here is the calculator I go to.
https://www.calculator.net/calorie-c...%20of%20Health.
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 370/

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the link and instructions thats very helpful
jiggleypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 309/309/210

Height: 5'6"

Smile

It may be that your body is adjusting to the 1,200 calories amount. Are you weighing and measuring your food? Are you drinking enough water? Are you also doing the exercises that Dr. Now recommends? And are you getting really good sleep?

I used to think the same things about the clients, that maybe they had an issue where they couldn't burn calories that well. Then Dr. Now would put them in the hospital on a restricted 1,200 calorie diet and they would lose weight.

Keep in mind that at 600+ lbs you need a higher total daily expenditure (TDE) of calories to maintain that level of body weight. So going from a much higher amount of calories to maintain weight to 1,200 calories would result in a significant amount of weight loss very fast.

MY TDE is around 2,000-2,400 calories per different calculators. I am hoping that by dropping down to 1,200 of 1,500 calories I can lose a significant mount of weight each month.

Don't give up. Keep with the 1,200 - 1,500 calories (in case 1,200 is too low and causes your body some stress), drink lots of water, take a good multivitamin. Do some exercises morning and night. Get good sleep to regenerate and recharge.

Losing 9lbs in a month is a healthy weight loss. You should aim for healthy long-term weight loss rather than losing too much at once and then gaining it back. Of course, I know I am being a hypocrite as I want to lose like 20lbs before earl December 2022.
LibraryChick is offline   Reply With Quote