Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #1  
This statement is false

S/C/G: 378/298/220

Height: 6'1"

Default Don thine swim fins and feel free to jump into the deep end of the pool with me...

/attempts for a graceful entrance/

Mutual support is a wonderful thing, especially when the race is more of a marathon than a sprint. Please feel free to join me here, no matter what stage of your journey you are on, or what program you are doing.

All welcome.
Jinxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #2  
This statement is false

I have an unhealthy relationship with food, as I am a stress eater and when I go off program I tend to run amok; feast or famine...quite literally.

Health issues as of late have contributed to bring me back up to the heaviest weight I ever had measured before: 6'1" and 378 pounds (July 8, 2019). Just writing that number is more than a little daunting. I was dieting off and on, but I failed time again to find sufficient motivation to sustain the losses. Still, as the fog of medications and their myriad of side effects slowly lifted, I was able to get myself down to 302.6 pounds (August 3, 2020) in a series of stuttering starts.

On July 15, 2020 I made a long term promise to my meat vehicle: one year commitment on Atkins 20 with a goal of getting in the neighbourhood of 220 pounds (leaving "obese" and just a tinge into "overweight"). The program I am using is The New Atkins For A New You. 20 carbs a day, a modest amount of fat, and enough protein for a person my size/age/sex.

Quite by accident, while researching nutritional ketosis, I stumbled onto the benefits of Intermittent Fasting (IF). Predominant was using fasting to prompt autophagy (2016 Nobel Prize in Medicine). Finding support while considering mixing protocols is rather formidable and rather unnerving, since I do not wish to hurt myself trying to help myself.

My reasons for wanting to take on Intermittent Fasting were many, but some of the biggest were an attempt to change my relationship with food and to have a long term "program", of sorts, to follow. To eat so much in a short period takes pacing, which is a good thing since I am notorious for the "eat now, taste later" sort of eating. I want to be hungry when I eat, so I understand what it feels like to eat to satiety. I realize that I do really well within the confines of a program, but the minute I'm off leash I run around like there are no consequences for my actions. Keeping within a program sounds perfect, and there's few programs simpler than a single meal a day, a single drink, single drink with the meal (outside of water), and only one hour to work with to feed. I'm hoping to stick with one meal a day for the rest of my time on this spinning ball of rock hurtling through the void.

"...since your body is in fat-burning state in the morning, eating carbs in the second half of the day is more beneficial for weight loss." [emphasis mine] (Source)

After some soul searching I finally steeled my resolve and took the plunge to add in Intermittent Fasting.

On August 1, 2020 I started to skip breakfast and split my morning meal between my lunch and dinner. My satiety by being in ketosis helped greatly here as I simply was not hungry, though I did feel a bit strange.

I was seeing benefits, especially in mental clarity (fie on the foul medication fog) and reduced inflammation, and really wanted to take the next step and jump to one meal a day, but I could not imagine foie gras-ing down that much food in one sitting. A lot of people doing OMAD (one meal a day) are only eating about 1200 calories and using that to lose weight, but I was not seeking to reduce my caloric intake, just give my body more time to repair itself before my next meal.

The task became how I could possibly eat all of my food for the day in one sitting. I am a reluctant carnivore so the idea of a protein powder was compelling to help me avoid eating eggs, beef, and chicken in the same meal. I searched far and wide for a whey protein powder isolate that didn't have alcohol sugars in it or any of a thousand other ingredients, and finally found two that had only one ingredient. That permitted me to do either 100g of beef or chicken, rather than both. I had a bit of a leg up in the fact that I already made soup out of my veggies, since there would be no possible way I could imagine eating that many veggies in one sitting, even if there was no other food on my plate.

On August 4, 2020 I switched to one meal a day, doing a 23 hour fast followed by a 1 hour feed.

Last edited by Jinxs; 08-08-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #4  
This statement is false

One of the upsides of juicing your vegetables is the silly amount of energy you get from them. My first day of one meal a day I woke up absolutely brimming with energy, annoyingly so (according to my estrogen unit).

I am finding in the middle of the day I hit a bit of a wall. It's even energy all day right up to that point and then I feel like I need to nap. Not sure if that's the lack of eating, behavioural, my med, or some other factor.

Been pushing only water outside of my mealtime.

No hunger all the way to 6:00pm, 23 hours the first day without an issue, though I did feel strange in a way that I cannot really explain, but something was going on which I think was Kuchisabishii.

I was looking forward to the meal though (Pavlov?).

I was at the passthrough with fork in hand right as the bell chimed and started chowing down. Protein powder suspended in water to wash down my med/vitamins, a spoonful of coconut oil, 4x sprays of medical marijuana, and doing well. Drinking my soup and gnawing on some chicken, I was focused only on the amount of food to imbibe, then I looked up at the clock and saw that I had tons of time, so I started getting cocky.

Bad move.

Then my little shrunken stomach started to protest such ill treatment. Slowed way down until the 30 minute point and started methodically working my way around, the rest of the chicken franks red hot with some ranch dressing.

Over the last 4 days I'm slowly getting the pacing down, which is making it easier and easier to get through the meal.

One year awaits!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/203/154

Height: 5'8

Maybe not a popular opinion but I believe in calories in/calories out, being gentle on myself, and moving my body more, daily. Consistency here and eventually the results will come through. Calories in/calories out, but with wholesome foods, not the way that sanctions loading up on greasy, salty foods if your numbers allow for it. I've figured out I go off the rails out of boredom, so finding things to keep my mind busy has been key. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and IBS and that makes the process much slower for me. Glad to have found this website.
NatashaCDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #6  
This statement is false

Hey there NatashaCDB, welcome to the boards. Nice to have fellow Canucks wandering about.

I echo what you're saying about being gentle on yourself.

If you need any help, or someone to join ya on your journey, just reach out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaCDB View Post
Maybe not a popular opinion but I believe in calories in/calories out
Dr. Fung has an interesting take on the calories in/out thing:

"A healthy body exists in a balance between feeding and fasting. Sometimes
we store food energy (the fed state) and sometimes we burn it (the fasted
state). It is hard to burn body fat, because it is naturally harder to gain access
to. When insulin is high, your body wants to store food energy, not to burn it.
Insulin blocks fat burning.

Simply put, high insulin tells us to make deposits into our ‘fat bank’. Low
insulin tells us to make withdrawals from our ‘fat bank’. If you want to lose
weight, you need to do two things. When making deposits, you want to make
smaller deposits (eat lower insulin foods). Second, you want to spend more
time making withdrawals (spend more time in the fasted state).

Insulin is one of the key hormonal regulators of body weight. Obesity is a
hormonal imbalance, not a caloric one. Simply put, insulin causes obesity,
so reducing insulin is the main stepping stone for weight loss. "

(https://idmprogram.com/wp-content/up...tart-Guide.pdf)

Last edited by Jinxs; 08-08-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #7  
This statement is false

Weight Tracking

299 this morning!

August 9: 299, medium

Last edited by Jinxs; 08-10-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #8  
This statement is false

Daily Meal Plan (Initial)
  • Cheese Slice x4 (4 carbs, 32 fat, 20 protein)
  • Eggs x3 (2 carbs, 15 fat, 18 protein)
  • Chicken Breast 100 grams (0 carbs, 3 fat, 27 protein) or Beef 100 grams (0 carbs, 20 fat, 26 protein)
  • Whey Protein Isolate (27 protein)
  • Sauces (2 carbs)
  • Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon (14 fat)
  • Soup - Homemade x3 (12 carbs, 0 fat, 9 protein)*
Total
  • Carbs 20 (80 calories)
  • Fat 84 (756 calories, plus additional for varied sauces)
  • Protein 100 (400 calories)
  • Total Calories from Food: 1236
* Ingredients: broccoli, kale, cauliflower, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, onion salt, garlic salt, Montreal Steak Spice, ground black pepper. I cook it until the veggies are soft, let it cool, and then blend it in my Ninja blender (love that thing) and drink it gazpacho soup style

Updated Daily Meal Plan (Changed August 11)
  • 2 scoops Whey Protein Isolate (0 carbs, 0 fat, 54 protein)
  • 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (0 carbs, 28 fat, 0 protein)
  • 2 Eggs (1 carbs, 11 fat, 13 protein)
  • 100g Beef or Chicken Breast (0/0 carbs, 20/3 fat, 26/27 protein)
  • 3 cups Soup - Homemade (15 carbs, 3 fat, 7.5 protein)*
  • 12 Macadamia Nuts (2 carbs, 24 fat, 2 protein)
  • 2 tbsp Sauces (2 carbs, 24 fat, 0 protein)
Total
  • Carbs 20g (80 calories)
  • Fat 110/93g (990/837 calories)
  • Protein 102.5/103.5g (410/414 calories)
  • Total Calories from Food: 1480 / 1331

450g cauliflower (8.1c, 2.2f, 8.1p)
450g broccoli (17.5c, 1.8f, 10.8p)
1 bunch kale (0.3c, 1.5f, 2.9p)
2 onion (19.5c, 0f, 1.8p)
1 bulbs garlic and garlic salt (8.7c, 0f, 1.5p)
45g vegetable broth (4.5c, 9f, 9p)
1 tbsp onion salt (5c, 0.1f, 0.7p)
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice (2.4c, 0.4f, 0.5p)
1 tbsp ground black pepper (4.4c, 0.2f, 0.7p)
Total: 70.4 carbs, 15.2 fat, 36 protein

14 Servings: 5 carbs, 1 fat, 2.5 protein

Last edited by Jinxs; 08-12-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #9  
This statement is false

I changed my diet above as I was inundated with concerns about raising my fat and protein intake, which has created a stall. The most extreme of which is a ratio of 4 fats to 1 protein, which is just like drinking bacon drippings or something. It appears they are chasing high ketone levels, when I'm chasing weight loss.

The best source of this is: Stephen Phinney on Macro Counts for Ketogenic Dieting, but really it just boils down to "eat fat for satiety so you understand what hunger really is".

Setting all that advice aside, I'm keeping carbs at 20, protein at ~100, and lowering my fat down again.

Daily Meal Plan (Changed August 14)
  • 3 cups Soup - Homemade (15 carbs, 3 fat, 7 protein)*
  • 100g Beef or Chicken Breast (0/0 carbs, 20/3 fat, 26/27 protein)
  • 2 Eggs (1 carbs, 11 fat, 13 protein)
  • 2 scoops Whey Protein Isolate (0 carbs, 0 fat, 54 protein)
  • 2 tbsp Sauces (2 carbs, 24 fat, 0 protein)
  • 2 tbsp Salsa (2 carbs, 0 fat, 0 protein)

Total
  • Carbs 20g (80 calories)
  • Fat 58g/41g (522/369 calories)
  • Protein 102.5/103.5g (410/414 calories) 100/101g (400/404 calories)
Total Calories from Food: 1002/853

450g cauliflower (8.1c, 2.2f, 8.1p)
450g broccoli (17.5c, 1.8f, 10.8p)
1 bunch kale (0.3c, 1.5f, 2.9p)
2 onion (19.5c, 0f, 1.8p)
1 bulbs garlic and garlic salt (8.7c, 0f, 1.5p)
45g vegetable broth (4.5c, 9f, 9p)
1 tbsp onion salt (5c, 0.1f, 0.7p)
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice (2.4c, 0.4f, 0.5p)
1 tbsp ground black pepper (4.4c, 0.2f, 0.7p)
Total: 70.4 carbs, 15.2 fat, 36 protein

14 Servings: 5 carbs, 1 fat, 2.5 protein
Old 08-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #10  
This statement is false

Safe journeys all.