Old 04-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Hi everyone just checking in to say I am having a rewarding week for both work and weight loss. I hope everyone is feeling better, stronger and healthier I have put another post on this forum asking for advice on weight loss medication, and so far I haven't received any responses, so I just thought I would ask here; has anyone had any experience in taking weight loss medication? My partner has just been put on Duramine (I think) and he thinks it is going to be a magic fix and make the 50 odd kilos he needs to lose simply vanish. I have tried really hard to get him up of a morning to go and exercise with me, and he eats the same meals as me, but the portions are way bigger than they should be, he has started drinking soft drink again and he snacks heaps. I want to help him but I am not sure how? I am also suspicious of this medication too.. Too many yucky side effects. Any advice would be really appreciated, even if the medication was different to the one given to my partner.
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. Rain is supposed to arrive later today and from the sky this morning, it won't be long in coming.

Cindy -- Below your signature weight is always such a wonderful feeling and is one of the reasons why I seldom change it if I go up. Helps to remind us of where we were just a few short weeks ago. Hope you can find some of the salad dressings you like. You might try finding them in the grocery first -- they are located with the diabetic foods in our grocery instead of the dressing aisle -- and then order them from netrition.com as they are much cheaper with ordering them. Meant to ask you how the fishing had gone -- sounds like ok if you want to go again.

Teena -- Sometimes the cravings just won't go away and it sounds like you came up with a great solution. Mission makes a high fiber/low carb tortilla that is actually pretty good. All the other stuff on tacos is pretty healthy. I also have a friend who just makes what she calls a sloppy taco -- just piles it on her plate with no tortilla.

Calda -- I don't have any experience with weight loss medications other than my doctor absolutely won't prescribe anything. First, I understand your concern for your partner both in terms of side effects and what I call the boomerang effect of thinking of the medication as magical thereby allowing for unfettered eating. But, this is your partner's battle and other than maybe doing some online research and providing the articles, it's going to probably be hard to be effective in changing another person's habits and behaviors. Good luck and keep providing the support.

I vacuumed for the 3rd time this week yesterday and used a product to wipe up all the floors -- 2200 square feet of wood floors are a royal pain to take care of. Today I'm baking a cheesecake as a congratulations gift for the young man who does my yard work and a spice cake for my BIL and nephew as they'll be here eating tomorrow. I need to vacuum downstairs and just do general household stuff today. The challenge, of course, will be to not eat this stuff including licking the bowls!

Time for coffee and the crossword and then the gym. Have a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #138  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Betsy— I don't have time for a proper posting right now, but I just wanted to say I'll be rooting for you not to lick those bowls & implements from the cake-making! Why don't you try that trick of chewing gum? And have your snack/lunch beforehand so you won't be hungry... =smile=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #139  

Thanks Betsy. I know it is going to be hard and I am trying really hard to be supportive. He has gained about 35kg or 77 pounds since we started dating. Its got nothing to do with how he physically looks, I am just scared for his health and my future with him if he gets diet related illnesses. I just wish I could help him.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #140  

So ready for the forecasted weather that is supposed to begin tomorrow to arrive. The kid who does the yard work is coming today so hope he doesn't get rained out!

Fi -- I chuckled over the gum suggestion. I now get Trident sugarless gum sent from Amazon on a monthly basis as I do use it to quell my never ending sweet tooth cravings. I will think of you every time I pop a piece. I managed to stay away from the beater and bowl lickings so miracles do occur!

Calda -- I totally understand your concern and if it's any help, pass along my long list of physical ailments/impairments from not addressing my weight issues when I should have 40 years ago. It's not something that will have immediate impact, but is a slow and constant damaging of the body. Let's see -- from being morbidly obese for 30 years I have: sleep apnea (requires sleeping with a C-pap machine), severe acid reflux (has resulted in Barrett's esophagus so I have to have testing done every 3 years to make sure it hasn't gone into esophogeal cancer), a fib (on lots of medication for that and you have a drastic decrease in your stamina levels), and arthritis in every joint which has severely limited my ability to just move around. And then there's always the embarrassment of having to go to facilities that have equipment that can handle someone who is as heavy as I am when medical procedures need to be done. Not trying to push the pity button for me, but hoping that knowing these things will happen can help you get the message across to him. And, yes, he may not get all of these, but a whole lot of them will crop up. Somehow I have avoided Type II diabetes which is a miracle since both my mother and grandmother had it. On a good day, I can get between 1-2 hours of work done before I have to stop for the day. It's a constant battle since I always have a list a mile long of things I want to do. Hopefully this time will be the time where I can get a significant amount of weight off. I go to the gym 5 times a week just to keep things moving, but the cardio is severely limited -- just no stamina for it.

And on that happy note, I need to get my act in gear and get ready for all the people who will be tromping through here today. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone

I need to get better about posting here more. I always feel so comforted when I'm here. I'm still working on getting my act in gear. Apparently this week wasn't the week for exercise. So far I've only gotten one day in, but DH and I are going to the park soon for a walk, then going to grill some burgers for lunch/dinner. I'll have mine wrapped in lettuce .

This week has been a bit hectic. Monday I had the situation with feeling feverish, Tuesday I did get my walk in, Wednesday DH had band practice, Thursday I got home late after going to see some clients and by the time I got home and made dinner it was just so late (lame excuse I know), and yesterday my friend was supposed to come between 6 and 7 to pick up some left over veggie plants that DH and I started but just don't have the need for them. I was cleaning house like a mad woman before she was to come over, so I guess that counts as some exercise? I was all over the place....6:00 gets here and I'm still cleaning...then 6:30...still cleaning but no call or text from said friend. 7:00 comes along and I get to wondering what the heck is going on, but she was coming after work so I guessed she was running late. DH and I ended up having dinner as we still waited on her. By the time we finished with dinner it was getting close to 8:00 and still nothing. I guess I should have reached out to her, but I have a pet peeve of if you say you're going to be here then be here, or at least let me know what's going on. I didn't feel like I should have to contact her for something she said she was going to do. DH and I finally get in our PJs and snuggle in the bed to watch some tv...I end up getting sleepy around 9:00 and still nothing...Then close to 9:30 as I'm about to fall asleep, she texts to ask if I'm home, then immediately calls me. I was so irritated I said screw it and didn't answer and turned my phone off. I get up this morning and she left me a message that she was "in my area so I wanted to pick up the plants, I know it's late". I kinda feel like I'm blowing this out of proportion, but what if I had something to do last night and I was waiting on her? This morning I sent her a message to let her know that I was already asleep. She said ok I'll stop by today...no given time, or anything. I have plans today so I told her I was going to be out most of the morning, then will be leaving around 3:00 to let me know when she plans to come. Well apparently she was taking her daughter to the beach today and didn't know when she'd be here. Ok, then why say you're coming by? I mean, please, tell me I'm taking this the wrong way? I don't want these plants to go to waste but by the time she decides to pick these things up they're going to be dead. They need to be transplanted from their peats. I told her I'd leave them on my stoop if she decides to come by then she can get them there if I'm not home. I just got back from my errands and she still hasn't come by. Oh well, I have another friend that wants some of them, and there's plenty to go around so I think I'm just going to call him and tell him he can come get them.

I went shopping for pants today. JCPenney was having a sale and with my JCP Card I could get more off. I was there for 2 hours trying on clothes ya'll. Mainly pants. I've decided that right now just isn't the time for me to have work style pants that button, but I need something that doesn't look like leggings. All of the pants I tried on that buttoned and fit just made my hanging stomach look like "front butt" or my muffin top was so squeezed in that when I would sit down (do you guys do the sit down test?) that it looked like a sausage roll trying to escape it's casing. Finally I searched the whole store and found a couple of stretchy style pants that didn't look like those ones that grandmas wear when they are nearing 90 years old. Tried on a pair that I thought would work, and they did but dang it they look like leggings once they're on...They were Liz Claiborne and with the discount it would have been close to $30...Sorry I'm not spending $30 on leggings that I can get at Wal-Mart for $8 LOL...The other ones I tried on worked great. The one pair however is long on my stubbs so I'm going to need them hemmed. Luckily my mom knows how to sew so I can have her do it. Unfortunately that was something that I never learned . The other pair of pants are those jogger style pants...I don't know if you know what I'm talking about. I didn't think they would look good on me, but they fit and felt comfortable and didn't look like I was wearing sleepwear so I bought it. Was trying on some shirts, found a few that I liked but dang it I am cheap and couldn't spend the money. I can always get shirts later. I did get me an awesome David Bowie shirt for $5.00 and DH a Fallout (it's a video game) shirt for $5 too...something I couldn't pass up! I got the two pairs of pants for $42 so I thought that wasn't bad either despite me never being able to find pants anywhere at a thrift store.

Tootsie Hope your trip is going ok. I'm sure DH and the kids are fine

Cindy Thanks for always being here. You guys definitely keep me going. Hope you have a great time fishing this weekend....and glad to see that things are going pretty well for you.

Teena You seem like an awesome mom for doing this with your daughter. For someone who has been obese for my entire lift, I could have only dreamed of having my mom do this with me, or someone close to me. As a kid I just kept getting bigger and bigger and my mother never did anything about it, except when we'd go to try on clothes I'd get "omg you're getting so big, I can't believe this won't fit you" deal. Don't let her get discouraged. Just tell her that you both have different metabolisms and that yours must just be a little faster. All you can do is be there for support, like you are us. She can do this, I'm cheering her on!

Betsy If you successfully made it without licking the bowls I commend you. Cheesecake is one of my faves so I don't know if I could do that. Hope you have a great time with the family this weekend

Cal The only thing I've ever taken as far as weight loss pills go is I was given phen phen back in the 90s...I was about 10 years old...My mom didn't know what phen phen was but saw that it helped me lose a little weight...She was mortified later when she found out that it was basically giving a child speed pills. It really didn't do much for me. Maybe there's something that they could give him on top of the medicine to help with curbing his appetite? Does he take any other medications? I know that I've taken meds before that increased my appetite. Hope it all works out.

Fi Hello dear friend I hope you are well and getting close to freedom again. Keep going, I know you can do this

Really missing Ubee. I hope she's doing ok. I know she decided to go on a hiatus, but I hope it isn't forever . Doesn't look like we've seen Terra for awhile either. Hope she's ok too. Missing my fam! But I better get going, gotta get ready for our walk and picnic. Be well friends!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Teena, sometimes you just have to give in to those cravings. Not all of them all the time (like I've been known to do) but smartly like you did. I'm glad you enjoyed the tacos.

Caldawg, I'm glad you've had a good week. As for diet pills I think I was taking something way back when I was a teenager but can't remember what it was. I googled Duramine and it sounds like it is an appetite suppressant so maybe it will help your partner. If it curbs his appetite maybe he will be less inclined to eat so much. The fact that he accepted the prescription may say something about his willingness to try to change.

Betsy, good job staying away from those beaters. As someone who loves to bake I know how hard that is to do. Enjoy your company this weekend.

Sam, I completely get where you're coming from with your friend. People who say they're coming and don't or people who drop by without letting me know in advance are two of my biggest pet peeves. I'm glad you were able to find some pants that fit. I miss Ubee too. I was thinking about her this morning. Terra has been gone a while too. And Larry who was doing so well on Atkins last year.

It was a gorgeous day here today and DH and I got to go fishing. I caught 3. He didn't catch anything. Usually it's the other way around so I don't feel bad lol. I got sunburned, but not badly. I forgot sunscreen. I'm not really used to needing it in April here. Tomorrow and Monday it's supposed to rain so I'm glad we got to get out and enjoy the beautiful day.

It's very late here and I'm tired. DH is having a restless night. He's sleeping but twitching a lot and keeps pushing me so I banished myself to the couch. I hate to wake him up because he has a hard time getting back to sleep once something wakes him up. I hope he settles down soon.

I have lost 4 pounds since Wednesday. I know my calories are very low but I like the results. And right now this is not hard for me to do. In the future, when I'm struggling to stay on plan and having a hard time, will one of you or all of you please remind me that I can do this? Thank you in advance.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #143  

Thanks to everyone who responded. Cindy, sorry you are struggling. You have listed basically every ailment that my mother in law has, including diabetes. He sees it from his own mother, and that is hard for me to see. She is a woman in her early 60s, is morbidly obese, uses a walking frame and is basically under the full time care of her husband who is just as sick, with similar weight related issues. It is frustrating. I have been giving him plenty of encouragement and praise and I am really proud of him for taking the prescription and being diligent about it. It takes a really strong person to admit they have a problem, and even more strength to put steps in place to try and rectify the problem. I know exactly how hard it is, because 13 weeks ago, I was in the same position, eating myself into an early grave, and feeling so scared, miserable and lost that I didn't know where to start. I love him more than anything, and it isn't a physical thing, I just don't know what I would do if he fell really ill or passed away suddenly from something that could have been so easily prevented.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

HI All

Teena - how old is your DD reading through the posts got me thinking about this - I know this seems weird but I take it the plan giving her enough calories/protein for her age & activity levels, as less calories/protein makes it harder to stick to it- younger people do need a little more I basically starved myself to morbidly Obese as a child from fat after being picked on or ignored only thing I can be thankful for not being bullied because of it- then when I started eating healthy I sort of stopped gaining weight as fast lost a bit but not enough to be happy .. its nice that she is comfortable enough to go out clubbing too! I used to be paranoid about it - I walked everywhere - ate a bit more got back to obese and been yo-yoing through it since.
Well done for working with her and encouraging not nagging and sticking to your plan - Tacos can be healthy when you make them just check ingredients salt etc when purchasing shells - found Taco boats here in NZ nice alternative to shells / soft wraps too

Sam: nice to see you back - with you on the I hate people who say they are doing something /coming over then don't let you know and just don't show - or arrange to meet you then don't bother to turn up on time - or really late in this age of cell phones no excuse any more
I don't mind people that just turn up unannounced on 2 conditions they don't have a problem with being shoed off If I am doing something /going out cause I am not about to change plans for them .. and 2 that I don't have anything for them to eat in the house

caldawg89 Good to hear he is taking his meds - hopefully the changes will sink in and he will follow his new lifestyle plan - in theory it should be easier to do if your doing it together but that is not always the case

Betsy nice self control not licking beaters/bowl - I have 2 self control helpers here if I bake on the weekend - its weekday baking that is my problem, now I work Tuesday to Friday not such an issue anymore

Cindy -nice results with your 4 pounds, just make sure you don't let the low cals sink you into starvation mode where the weight starts creeping back up with what you eat ...

tomorrow is weigh in .. hopefully will see another drop this week - blew all but one of my WW points tonight so 1 measly weekly point left that is it! on Positive sides - drank 1.5 litre of water did just over 10,000 steps - knees ache a bit today again (bloody injury arthritis plays up with change of weather) and a 20 minute gym workout .. went shopping today - couldn't be bothered trying on shoes, whole point of the mission new shoes for winter ended up buying my 2 girls shoes for the winter instead
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #145  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I've been swinging through dramatic ups & downs in my rehab, this past week:
• Monday: achieved goal of not needing the wheelchair in my house—walking slow & painful, but tolerable
• Tuesday: achieved even bigger goal of walking all the way from the parking garage, up one floor, then through a maze of corridors to the Mindfulness Center, where I meet with Mike; Mike said my walking looked "very smooth"; used wheelchair on the way back, but still, a big achievement, for which I had to walk about 10 times further than I had before—happy & excited!
• Wednesday: rested a lot because legs were very sore, but still able to go without wheelchair in the house
• Thursday: again walked all the way from parking garage to meeting w/ Mike, with much less pain in doing so—yay!
• Thursday night: while walking from living room to den to turn on the radio, suddenly something goes wrong inside my right knee—popping, grinding, very unstable, painful—like bones just slipping around in there
• Friday: right knee is so bad, I have to go back to using wheelchair in house; called Mike about it, and he said to take a day of rest—to stay off my feet as much as possible for 24 hours
• Saturday: even after day of rest, utterly dependent on wheelchair in the house; tried & tried to walk a little, but right knee so bad I couldn't walk at all, not even a few steps in the bathroom
• Sunday (today): because last night I went to bed after Bob (did hands-&–knees crawl up the stairs) I didn't have my wheelchair upstairs this morning; tried to walk the short distance (like 10 feet) from bed to bathroom, which I've done many times in recent months, and failed miserably; fell down halfway there & had to crawl the rest of the way; VERY discouraged!

I'm planning to experiment with using a cane, later on today when both of my legs are not so exquisitely painful. I'm getting more & more worried that I may need a knee replacement. I hate surgery!

Serious brain fog from the pain, so that's all I can write... Best wishes, y'all!

Last edited by Fiona W; 05-01-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #146  

STOP Go to new May thread!