Old 03-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Porthardygurl, awesome job on no longer being obese. That is quite an accomplishment. I hope you enjoy surfing.

Sam, it's hard when you have rude, inconsiderate neighbors. We speak to ours only to say hello. Their daughter is adorable and of course I don't expect a toddler to be quiet, but it would be nice if the adults tried to be a little quieter. Our landlord doesn't even like them, but has no basis to evict them. I'm glad your neighbor is not home often enough that you can get your workouts done at home.

Tootsieroll, tell your inner old lady to be kind to your inner child. She has been scolded enough. You can do this. You do know what to do. Take a deep breath and then eat something healthy. It's a start. You give such sage advice to the rest of us. Apply it to yourself. A slip, a binge, a gain - not the end of the world. Every day, every meal is another chance to get it right.

Fi, I'm glad I could help jog your memory. I just checked out that book on Amazon and do believe I am going to buy it. I think my view on this whole weight loss thing is actually rather simplistic, but if I look at it as a project (or process - per my quote in my signature) it seems to work for me. With mini=-goals I try to break it down into manageable segments, which reminds me that I need to set some new ones. I'm hoping your legs are working today after doing so much yesterday.

Raynestorm, welcome. Tootsieroll gave you some good advice. Start with some small manageable changes. Eat a healthy lunch or substitute a healthy snack for something you may be eating now that isn't so healthy. Track your food, set a daily calorie limit and stick to it for a day, then do it again. And stick with us. You will find lots of helpful tips and wonderful people here.

Today is the day, one year ago, that I started this weight loss journey. It makes me a little sad that as of last summer I had lost 45 pounds and now, because of a regain, I've only lost 25 pounds. But I know it could be a lot worse. In the past when I have regained I have regained everything and then some, and most likely would have given up trying by now. The good news is that I haven't given up and I'm not going to give up. So there lol.

I had a nice lunch yesterday with DH and did not overdo it. I ordered a cup of black bean soup and half a chicken Caesar salad, and when I was asked what kind of bread I wanted I said none. I had to actually repeat that a couple times because she didn't seem to comprehend "none". I felt good about my choices and I was satisfied, although I make a better black bean soup. DH says so too.

I didn't walk on the treadmill yesterday. By the time we got home after running all the errands it was practically dinnertime. Also, I developed a pain across the top of my left foot that only seems to hurt when I walk. I was hoping it would be gone by today but no such luck. If it feels better later I will try to do some walking.

I hope you all have a great day!
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #17  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Cind- Good for you for making better choices today. I know it can be hard when you have to look back at the end of another year of weight loss and feel like you havent gotten far but at least you are 25 lbs less then when you began. A loss is a loss is a loss. Count the small stuff. It has value too!

Rayne Many people have told me that weight loss is 90% diet and only 10% exercise. Just like... :you lose weight to look good. You exercise to stay fit. Point is: if you are struggling with your diet..dont worry about the exercise right now. It will come later. Focus on tightening up your food intake and choices. I like what Einstein once said, " The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results". If the way youve been doing things isnt woring for you..then try a different way and keep looking till you find the sweet spot

Sam I can commiserate with you on the neighbor issue. I grew up living next to a Jamaican guy who smoked pot constantly and let his kids destroy not only his yard but ours too. He was just downright rude and stoned at the same time. Ugh!! Sorry you are dealing with the rude neighbours..you shouldnt have to deal with that crap.

Tootsie Compassion is a hard thing to have for yourself when you struggle to love yourself but its so important. It was my aunt who taught me that. She said if nothing else, have compassion on yourself. Too many people are busy judging us anyway and we have spent so long being hard on ourselves. Its time to have compassion.

Fi I am so impressed and amazed with your ard work these days. You have really grabbed the bull by the horns. I knew there was strength in you! Awesome job! So happy to hear your feeling better.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #18  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Well good morning everyone,

Life just keeps on getting more and more exciting. I received my package in the mail for the counselling college that im applying to! I am recording more in the studio. Originally i was going to be on 2 songs for the guy who is making the album but he has deided now that he would like me to do harmonies for all of his songs. That means my voice will be on all his songs. I will be on a whole album!!!! Wahoo! And even better..a radio station! Im going to be going surfing in a couple weeks when my dh gets his cast off. Its the way i wanted to celebrate my 30th birthday.

Lots of positives that im looking forward to. In other news though..my friend is still dealing with her 3 kids. Thankfully her mom is here. But sadly she has decided not to go to Vancouver where her family is so we have no idea who will be taking care of the kids. Hopefully not me! I feel like ive warned her.

And you know the other thing. I feel used. I feel like people become my friend but only to use me. I feel taken advantage of. I have these 2 other friends who are now engaged. I havent seen them in a month and i see them for the first time yesterday and they say "hi hows it going" "oh thats good...yah so could you make us a gluten free dairy free wedding cake?". I wanted to scream because these so called friends have done nothing but ask me for favors and help and its like "what am i? Do i have a sign in my back that says "ask me!". Its getting really really frustrating. Like really!!! I just want to say "no i will not help you..do it yourself".

My rant for the day lol..Now i can go swim it out..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #19  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Port: Congrats on being a vocal on an album. I used to sing. I liked doing karaoke for fun. I'm a mezzo-soprano. I started as an alto, but I used to do vocal exercises every day. I sang in choirs through my high school years-two years in a choir that I had to audition to be in-most seniors didn't make it-I made it in my junior year. My junior year, about a quarter of the way through the year, my teacher made me do scales and found that I could hit a B flat, then he moved me to the sopranos. It was weird because I knew the alto part for the songs we were singing, so I had to relearn the songs. There were 75 people in my class. They were all watching me like, "What just happened?". It was rare for anyone to be moved. I miss that choir. We went to a national competition and got a first superior-a perfect score.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #20  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Crabby about my legs: just now I went to the bathroom and had to use handholds. I'm not supposed to need them anymore. Betsy, it's not really true that I have one good day followed by several bad ones. I had a 3-4 week depression earlier in the year, so it may have sounded like that, but these days I have a mix of good & bad moments most every day. All my life I'd had problems with mood slumps in the afternoon. It's afternoon right now, so this is when I tend to cheat on my diet by having extra muesli, and this is when I give in to feelings that I will never walk again. I should swear off posting here between 1 PM and 6 PM, but as you can see, I haven't done so yet.

I still think Mike and I collude with each other to act like I'm making more progress than I am. It's perfectly understandable: we like each other a great deal, we each have fascinating things to tell the other person, so it's a lot more fun to talk about everything under the sun and make my miniscule achievements sound like big ones. Yesterday toward the end of the session he got off on a tangent and went looking on his laptop for a list he'd found of the 1590 people who've registered to run for President, so he could read off some of their funny names, ranging from "This is a Fake" to "Donald Trump's Hairy Ballsack." It took him a long time to find the list, like five minutes, so I got bored. So I stood up behind him and started doing Qi Gong movements while standing up, which I haven't been able to do since the Big Disaster. He wasn't so focused on finding that dumb list that he didn't notice, so he looked over his shoulder, said "Great!" and gave me such a big, warm smile I just melted with pleasure on the inside.

But what did all that achieve, in terms of my rehab? Not much. I had gone in determined to talk about my failures at practice walking, but when I described them, Mike praised me lavishly for my force of WILL, comparing me to the tough guys at the V.A. Hospital where he teaches classes. Now all along, ever since I started this rehab in September of last year, I have been saying, "I'm not ever going to be one of those dudes who come across as rehab heroes. I'm not a rehab hero!" By that I meant that I wasn't going to be able to keep pushing forward through extreme pain, that I was going to need serious pain control, like opiates, to get through this. Well no one, not even my chronic pain doctor, has seen fit to give me anything that diminishes the pain, and yet I persist in trying to walk. I think that brands me as a masochist and/or a crazy person, not a rehab hero.

And no, unfortunately, I don't have access to medical marijuana. I live in Maryland, not DC. DC is supposed to have approved medical marijuana, but Bob says he heard the approval process got jammed up in red tape and opposition. Maryland does not have medical marijuana. I don't know if I could get it even if I found a DC doctor prescribing it, when my residence is in Maryland. =sigh= It makes me furious to think I can't get ahold of some marijuana, legally or otherwise, but it's not easy for a 61-year-old person to make that sort of connection, even if I could walk. I've hated this problem since before I got disabled, since I'm one of the minority of older people who get along very well with marijuana: it doesn't make me paranoid or make me freak out, and I smoked enough of it during my twenties and thirties that I know exactly how many hits to take (like two—that's all I need) to get a very light buzz that lasts for hours, doesn't interfere with my doing things, and in fact enhances my creative pursuits. So if it could help my legs, jeez, it's just all the more infuriating...

End of negative talk. I apologize, y'all. I am now officially swearing off posting in the afternoon!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

OK. I give up. Just typed for over an hour and it is again out in cyberville. So, just rest assured that I had some absolutely brilliant contributions to the thread that are lost and lots and lots of positive things to say about all of us. I'll try again tomorrow, but if this doesn't get fixed soon it may be adieu time.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Checking in. Too tired for anything else. Work was terrible, will fill you in later. Going to bed.
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:17 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Congrats Porthardygirl! My long term goal is to no longer be considered obese. I have been since I was a child!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #24  
rockin' my 60s!

Betsy— Arrrgggh! Please don't go away! Are you on the old version of the site? Are you able to make a copy of your posting before it gets lost? What kind of machine do you have, and what browser? How do you have your cookies set? Surely something can be done so at least you don't lose what you're writing! If you can post to say you lost your post, why can't you copy what you wrote, paste it in a new box, and try again, since obviously you can still post? I feel so bad about this it makes me want to say that if you're leaving, I'm leaving, but I won't say that, because it would be obnoxious. But remember one time you said you "needed your Fi fix"? Well, I need my Betsy fix! Thanks to you, I investigated the medical marijuana situation in Maryland, and it turns out my doctors were wrong. Good news: medical marijuana became law in Maryland in 2014, and it's just taking a really long time to set up approved growers, patient ID technology, approved dispensaries, etc. But the prediction is that it will all come together no later than June of this year. Yay!

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-03-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #25  

Second verse, same as the first. There's definitely something hinky going on with this site. I just typed in a post, was sure I was logged in, and still the post was lost. Right now I'm looking at the log in and it says that I am logged in and last visited at 7:40 this morning. OK, Fi, I give up. While it should be unnecessary, obviously I'm going to have to copy every post just to make sure that I don't end up constantly retyping them. I love this site -- particularly this thread -- and in fact I need it. But the lousy programming that was involved with the last maintenance plus the ad problem is ridiculous.

On that note, I'm not leaving, but evidently I am going to have to spend a lot of time making sure that I make copies of my posts.

Fi -- Glad to read that your research discovered that medical marijuana will be available soon. WA has had legalized pot for a few years now, and none of the dire predictions have come true. We have a much bigger problem with meth heads. Hope that it will help with the pain relief. I feel as though I owe you about 20 posts as you've been so helpful, kind, and supportive so please know that I'm not going anywhere and I appreciate you for you.

Porhardygurl -- Only with this group will you get a lot of atta girls for moving into the overweight category. That is a huge accomplishment and I hope you have time to have a little celebration. So much going on in your life!

Cindy -- You description of your food situation made me wonder if we're not related. I blame it on being raised by a mother who lived through the Depression; i.e., never pass up a sale. If it helps, I have a 5X8 pantry filled chock full, a smaller kitchen pantry filled chock full, a freezer......well you get the drift!

Donna -- You've been MIA for a few days. Hope everything is all right.

Sam -- So sorry for the horrible day at work. Hope that today is better.

I know I'm omitting a few of you and I'm sorry for that. Just running out of steam with trying to get a post accepted.

On my diet front, I've worked out a schedule that seems to allow me to get things done (which helps on the attitude front) and keeps me from going on an afternoon sugar binge. Breakfast at around 10 in the morning followed by the daily trip to the gym. When I get home, I do housework or chores and then have my snack at 2. I'm good until supper at 5:30 and then I'm done for the day. Not saying that I don't still have cravings because I do. And eating in the evenings had evidently become a BIG habit because it's really hard to resist it. But, it's easier knowing that I've gotten through the whole day on plan. Don't know that it would work for everyone, but thought I'd share.

OK, I'm going to make a copy of this and try to submit it again.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #26  

Doing a test to see what works. Sorry
Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hi everyone.

Porthardygurl, , your life does sound exciting, and now in a happier way than it has been lately. It really is ok to say no to people who ask you to do things you don't want to do. I think that helpful people are always perceived as people who never say no, but it is ok to say it.

Fi, if we lived closer I could get you marijuana of the illegal kind. I don't smoke it, not since my twenties, but I have grandchildren who do. I am glad that you discovered medical marijuana will be available in your state very soon.

Caldawg, I have always been obese too, but we're on the right road to change that.

Sam, I hope today is a better day for you.

Betsy, I am so glad you aren't leaving us, but also sorry you are having such a difficult time with posting. I hope your situation gets rectified soon. My parents lived through the depression as well and I seem to have inherited the food hoarding trait (if there is such a thing). I am glad that you found a diet plan that's working for you.

Well, today I am finally back to my ticker weight after my two-day binge last weekend. Two days to gain it - four to lose it. That just doesn't seem fair but that's how it goes. My foot is somewhat better today so I will walk later. Meanwhile I need to do some housework, and divide and freeze the meat I bought the other day.

I hope you all have a great day!
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #28  
rockin' my 60s!

Apologies to everyone else for the drama here....

Betsy— Thank you for reassuring me that you're not leaving! When you said that, it got me so upset, on a day when my legs are hurting bad, that when I hadn't gotten any better after an hour or more, I decided to cancel on Mike today. Bob has talked me out of doing that. Since September of last year, I have only cancelled on Mike during a bad bug Bob and I both went through in November, and once during my recent depression. It would be just plain stupid to cancel on Mike because I'm angry about you and about my legs. My volatility due to pain and stress is not your fault, of course, but I need to say what IS exasperating to me, about your own stance: (1) not copying your postings and saying that doing so would cost you "lots of time"—unless you're posting from a phone, which I don't think you are, copying your posts in case you lose them is a matter of seconds; (2) not considering a different browser—Cindy switched to Google Chrome with ad blocker, and much prefers it to Internet Explorer (IE)—if you're using IE or even Firefox, it's possible the new version of 3FC is flaky with your browser (IE is famous for being flaky, as surely you know); (3) not using the link at the bottom of the page to go to "Full Site," which is the old version, which seems to be more stable—at least you haven't said that you've tried that.

Please, my friend, copy your posts until you solve this problem, and consider the options I've been suggesting. Computer hassles from time to time are as much a part of life as bad weather, and I'm sure you know that. Take some deep breaths, and try to make this one go away.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #29  

Oh, Fi, I didn't mean to upset you. As an old IT person (old in so many meanings of the word!), not understanding what is causing this problem is just driving me crazy – or crazier depending on what day of the week it is. But I definitely didn't mean to upset you as you've got enough to deal with right now.

And, I am actually typing this in Word, will save and copy and then paste into 3FC. I'm also already using Google Chrome and have been using it for several years. I can't find the Full Site at the bottom of the page, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

In the meantime, I think I've figured out what is going on. Tootsie, if I'm off in left field please throw in your opinion or correct my thinking.

Background: I noticed that there seems to be no consistency in when I lose posts. I can be signed in and will lose a post. I can not have signed in, will start a post, and will get the whole thing typed, submit it and then get a message that I am not logged in. That makes sense but I also get the not logged in message even when I have logged in. There are two different logins. The “standard” one at the upper right side of the page and the Vbulletin one that appears when you've tried to post and “weren't logged in.” Additionally, when I would log back in sometime the post would be there and sometimes not. Additionally, it dawned on me that before the maintenance change that I could be logged in for days/weeks/eternity and never have to go through the login procedure. That definitely changed with the new version in that even if you don't log out, the system now automatically logs you out when you leave the system.

What I think is happening: When the maintenance was done, 3FC either went to a new service provider or else their current provider changed their pricing policy. I think what is now happening is that the site is being charged on a per user basis, and there are break points where if more users come online, there's more cost associated with that. In order to keep the per user cost down, the forced log off when you're leaving the site has been implemented. Additionally, I don't think they are charging for just browsing, but are counting users only when trying to post. And, a clocking mechanism seems to have been added so that if no activity is seen by a user within a set time frame – which appears to be between 15-20 minutes – then the person is logged off. Unfortunately, this occurs without telling them and thus when the submit button is pressed the post has been lost. Obviously this is only a problem for those of us who write really long posts – in our thread mainly Fi, Sam, and myself.

Solution: The ideal solution would be that 3FC would allow for longer posting time, but I understand the need to keep expenses down. So, I have Windows 10 installed which allows me to operate in split screen. Actually, Windows 7 and probably 8 allows this, too. So, I bring up the thread and put it on half my screen, open up Word on the other half. This allows me to read and respond to the posts at my own speed (and talk on the phone, get a refill on coffee, got to the bathroom and all the other things that seem to crop up). Then I save them and do a copy and paste in 3FC.

This will be my first test of this approach. Hopefully this will work!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #30  

Hello Ladies!!! ^_^

I feel like I should introduce myself. I am 31 years old no kids married for 9 years but been with my husband for 12 years. I work as a Customer Service Manager.

I have been over weight for all my life, and frankly im tired of it. lol

I love meeting and talking to new people!
RayneStorms387 is offline   Reply With Quote