300+ Getting Fit After 40 #319

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Tom showed up. No warning if his arrival. Maybe that is the jump on the scale!!
  • Deb, Yes, you can probably blame him. Me, I'm (apparently) in "peri-menopause." Have been for a couple of years. My cycle has stretched out and gotten more irregular (it was never completely regular). When TOM finally strolls in, he overstays his welcome. I'm told I might go on like this for more years. I can live with all that, but I'm still adjusting to what it does to the scales… they start inching up, no matter how good I am about water, and they stay up until TOM is gone or at least nearly gone--then, if I've been on track, I get a "whoosh." But it's hard not to feel like I'm "actually" gaining weight when the bump up lasts for 2-3 weeks. I don't even record that change on my ticker any more. The last few days the scale has been up several pounds. I'm just telling myself repeatedly: No matter what the scale does, stay the course.

Hope everyone's having a good day.

POP since Feb. 24 (21-day streak) -- WI on Feb. 24: 280
  • Angela- I am right there with you. My old cycle use to be 9 days. Now it can be anywhere from 3 days to 2 full weeks. I may try and stay off the scales. Big jumps mess with my head!!

I had a good day on Tuesday. Today is planned and I'm planning to skip cake at church tonight.
    I spent the evening pampering myself. I dyed my hair and gave myself a pedicure. I'm hoping to go get a real one soon but until I find time doing one myself really did help. My skin is so dry this winter, so much worse than normal.

How is everyone?
  • I'm having POP days again. That always feels good!

So glad I don't have to worry about TOM anymore. I was one of those lucky women who "thought" she was done only to have it arrive back after 10 months! Hot flashes were no fun. I still get them occasionally but they are now usually stress related. The thing I miss is the nesting urge I always got a day or two before that would send me into a cleaning frenzy. No more urges to put my nose to the grindstone and clean.

Angela - 21 days POP! You rock!
  • Thanks, Judy. I'm hoping keeping track will help me stay on track during this stretch when my scale is up through no fault of mine. Stay the course!

Glad you're having good days, too.

Deb, Great job with the planning! I'm headed out to dinner with a friend tonight and have my plan in place too.

POP since Feb. 24 (22-day streak) -- WI on Feb. 24: 280
  • Pleased to report a pop day!! I had a super small slice of angel food cake at church.
  • I had a pretty good six days this week. I weighed in a day late last week. I've decided I may be retaining a bit of fluid since I gained 0.2 of a lb. over those six days. It's either that or I wore heavier clothes than usual to WW.

I did have frozen Lean Cuisines yesterday and the day before which is not usual for me. I especially try to eat clean and fresh foods from Mon. on so I know I'm not retaining fluids before weigh in on Thursday.

Welcome SPRING!
  • I had another pop day! Hoping to continue thru the weekend . As of right now I have no major plans for the weekend. It will be nice to stay home and do some housework.
    I am loving the warmer weather we had the past few days. I walked around with the kids and saw all the stuff I need to do outside. I can't wait to get started outside.
  • WTG, Debbie and Judy!

The weather is great, isn't it? Yesterday I took a walk in the state park, no snow in sight. A moth (I guess) flew by me, but it sure looked like a butterfly. Orange and black stripes. It flew by me a few times then landed where I could get a good look at it. Felt great to be outside and not freezing.

I'm almost to the end of my 30-day experiment. I had a nice loss at the beginning, then started getting ready for TOM so the scale has been stalled. I'm afraid that at the end of the 30 days I'll still be in stall-land, so I won't be able to say decisively whether the experiment was a success or not. I guess once the 30 days are past, if TOM's still around, I'll have to wait until he's gone to really say what the 30 days eating at this level really achieved.

Sorry if I've been talking about TOM too much. I normally don't obsess over these things, but I'm really trying to prove to myself that I can still do this, and he / it is getting in my way big time.

POP since Feb. 24 (24-day streak) -- WI on Feb. 24: 280
  • So much for doing what I wanted this weekend! My daughter came home and I took the night shift yet again. The little guy is miserable from reflux. So hard to see a tiny baby struggling. I only got about 2 hours of sleep. I stayed awake all day because I was afraid I wouldn't sleep tonight. I don't do good without sleep.
    Food was really good on sat but not so today. I think I ate for energy today.

I did buy some pansies sat morning and got them potted up.
  • Awww, poor thing. And poor you, too, Debbie.

Things are fine here, but I wish the scale would go back down. I've almost finished my month experiment, which was looking good for the first two weeks of the month, but now the scale is back up near where it started. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm still not changing my ticker because I refuse to believe this is a "real" gain.

POP since Feb. 24 (26-day streak) -- WI on Feb. 24: 280
  • I worked yesterday and got one oft extra rooms back in order. It looks so nice and airy. I put a quilt in the bed and sheers at the windows. I love it and can't wait to have a spot for grandkids to sleep.
    I can tell I did lots of climbing and bending. My body is sore today.
    Scales are still up and tom is leaving. I have been op except for Sunday. I will give it another week before I go back to what has worked in the past.

Woke up to a dusting of snow today.
  • Fighting cravings here. Bad enough I'm having them but I'm giving in. Wish I could figure out why "No!!!" has been replaced with "go ahead!".
  • I had a bad day Sunday, too, Judy. Back on track the rest of the week.

So I blew my 30-day streak, but I was 29/30 for the month. Results are not satisfactory, because I'm still in PMS mode, so I'm down only one pound from where I started (though I was down much more than that two weeks ago). I guess the question is, where will I be when TOM leaves? Time to start pushing water.
  • Hubby went to the heart dr and all of his test turned out great ! She did fuss slit about his glucose level. So we are really going to try harder. She says 45 grams of carbs or less per meal. I'm sending hubby for a new tank for our grill and we will be grilling daily.
    My scales are still climbing and are at 270 this morning. I'm not sure what's going on but I know I haven't eaten that much!!

Exercise must start!!!