Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default So tired of being over 300 lbs.

Today I was shopping with my husband (TJ Maxx, Kohls, Target) and I was just SO STINKING TIRED OF WEIGHING OVER 300 LBS.

Jesus I JUST WANT TO BUY CLOTHES IN A STORE.

It's just frustrating going somewhere and being like: I can't buy clothes here. I'm a size 26/28 and need a 2x-3x shirt. I just want to get down to the 18-22 pant size range, so I can buy stuff off the rack and not feel so frumpy mcfrumperson all the time with my one pair of dress pants, scrub pants and slew of the track and yoga variety. Even my bras I order online cause it's hard to find reasonably priced 44DD in the store. I don't mind spending money on good quality items, it's just hard to justify $70 pants or a $50 bra when you are hoping in a short amount of time they'll be too big.

I mean I know what I have to do to alleviate this frustration, but it takes time, and I just wanted to be instantly 4 pant sizes smaller today. Don't we all? Maybe in 2 months! Yeah!
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #2  

I have been there and done that, I'm so sorry you had a day like that. Like we discussed in the other thread, you are doing awesome having a plan and you will get there. I understand your frustration and I felt that way for years without having a plan. Keep up the good work you have been doing!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I hear ya! I'm sick of it...Its hard going shopping..It would be nice to wear normal size clothes.. ive been stuck in a 3x shirt and a 22 size pant forever...and i dont know what its like in the states, but for me in Canada...thats big...not many people i know wearing my size. I used to be a 24 but i managed to get down to 22...now if i could just get down to an 18..or even a 14 would be nice...sigh...some day soon i hope! Takes me forever to go down a size!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #4  
Pink Leopard Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I have been there and done that, I'm so sorry you had a day like that. Like we discussed in the other thread, you are doing awesome having a plan and you will get there. I understand your frustration and I felt that way for years without having a plan. Keep up the good work you have been doing!
Thanks, you are a very sweet person and your replies have really cheered me up! I'm just having one of those days where I'm just overwhelmed about my body and all the work I have left to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
I hear ya! I'm sick of it...Its hard going shopping..It would be nice to wear normal size clothes.. ive been stuck in a 3x shirt and a 22 size pant forever...and i dont know what its like in the states, but for me in Canada...thats big...not many people i know wearing my size. I used to be a 24 but i managed to get down to 22...now if i could just get down to an 18..or even a 14 would be nice...sigh...some day soon i hope! Takes me forever to go down a size!
I'm sure the US has "roomier" options than other countries since we are notoriously bigger, but I couldn't say for sure. I think standard when I'm shopping, depending on where, it's not too hard to find a size 22, sometimes 24. I have never seen a 26 or 28 on the rack. I would love to be a 14 or a 16. I have lots of clothes in that range. If we keep it up, we'll get there. We will be sexy beasts.

Last edited by JollyGreenSteen19; 03-02-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hang in there! You will get there!! I know all about how hard it is to be patient.

If it is any consolation, when I weighed 306 pounds I wore a 4X blouse!! I am still a 0X or 1X.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSteen19 View Post

Jesus I JUST WANT TO BUY CLOTHES IN A STORE.
THIS!! Oh how I share your feelings! In my city there is ONE store that I can shop at. Everything is expensive. 90 bucks for jeans. 50 bucks for a shirt. It is un freaking real. I would love to be fashionable but it is so damn expensive I just can't spend that kind of money often. I just want to shop at a regular store. Old Navy. I can afford that stuff, but I don't fit in it (yet!!!!!!!!) I know I have a long time until I'll be shopping at Old Navy, but between now and then it's going to be a lot of sale shopping and trying to make every piece of clothing wearable for as long as possible.

Ugh.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I went to Macy's today and the big and tall section for men was the best I have ever seen. Good prices too. I haven't gone to a store to buy nice clothes for about a decade, so it was quite a treat.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #8  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I used to weigh 335 so I know how you feel. You will reach your goal, it just takes some time (which I know stinks). But look on the bright side....you are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! :-)

-Megan
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #9  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Like everyone else I definitely understand! I always felt so huge and round. I was so sick of having to spend so much more money on jeans, shirts, and other clothes. Packing was also the worst since all my clothes were so big and heavy to begin with.

I love Old Navy. I finally got into a "regular size shirt" there. (It was still an XL but a regular XL lol!) Only $6. I couldn't believe it. Takes time to lose the weight but the clothing changes make it sooooooooo worth it (at least when you love clothing).
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Let me tell you, I GET IT! When I was at my heaviest - 344 at 5'1" I couldn't shop in stores AT ALL! I work a very professional job - try finding nice suits and dresses for a professional office in size 34W!

Let me tell you, you will get there and when you do - the first time you buy clothes without an "X" in it - you will feel higher then any drug could take you!

Just bought some clothes this week - in an X - XS that is
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #11  
Pink Leopard Power

I've never shopped at macy's before! We don't have too many of those in the midwest where I live I suppose. It's good you can find things that will work for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan33 View Post
I used to weigh 335 so I know how you feel. You will reach your goal, it just takes some time (which I know stinks). But look on the bright side....you are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! :-)

-Megan
AWWW thanks that totally made my morning wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tziri View Post
Like everyone else I definitely understand! I always felt so huge and round. I was so sick of having to spend so much more money on jeans, shirts, and other clothes. Packing was also the worst since all my clothes were so big and heavy to begin with.

I love Old Navy. I finally got into a "regular size shirt" there. (It was still an XL but a regular XL lol!) Only $6. I couldn't believe it. Takes time to lose the weight but the clothing changes make it sooooooooo worth it (at least when you love clothing).
I'd love to be able to shop at a place like Old Navy - they have such great deals on such cute clothes. I would probably come dancing out of the dressing room if that happened to me. I dread the day if we ever move, because I have a TON of clothes in a million sizes and I refuse to get rid of anything, because if it's too small I want to see how it looks on me when it fits, and as of now... nothing is too big for me to pitch. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
Let me tell you, I GET IT! When I was at my heaviest - 344 at 5'1" I couldn't shop in stores AT ALL! I work a very professional job - try finding nice suits and dresses for a professional office in size 34W!

Let me tell you, you will get there and when you do - the first time you buy clothes without an "X" in it - you will feel higher then any drug could take you!

Just bought some clothes this week - in an X - XS that is
Wow an XS? I don't know if I'll ever be an XS I am sort of tall. LOL. That's incredble though. I'm fortunate I work in a job where I can wear my 3x scrub pants every day and those are reasonably easy to find online. But I can also wear business casual, and since I'd rather like to advance at my hospital, I sometimes would like to dress a bit nicer to imply that I'm management material in the years to come. And yes it is impossible to find professional clothes, I couldn't even find a blazer that fit for a job interview. I don't want to have to stress out over these things in the years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
THIS!! Oh how I share your feelings! In my city there is ONE store that I can shop at. Everything is expensive. 90 bucks for jeans. 50 bucks for a shirt. It is un freaking real. I would love to be fashionable but it is so damn expensive I just can't spend that kind of money often. I just want to shop at a regular store. Old Navy. I can afford that stuff, but I don't fit in it (yet!!!!!!!!) I know I have a long time until I'll be shopping at Old Navy, but between now and then it's going to be a lot of sale shopping and trying to make every piece of clothing wearable for as long as possible.

Ugh.
I completely agree. Around here, there's Lane Bryant. $$$$$$$$$$$$. I've spent a small fortune there over the years. I am not a rich person. I can't spend $60 on a blouse that I'm hoping will be a tent in 6 months anyways. I don't have to wear nice clothes that often anyhow. I can't wait to get to my goal weight and goal size, it'll be nice to buy clothes that I'm not going to have to worry about being a waste of money.

Last edited by JollyGreenSteen19; 03-03-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #12  
the muse of memory

I know exactly how you feel. I was able to shop pretty much only at Catherine's. Lane Bryant was too small for me. Or, I did not feel comfortable with clothes that were tight. That was last summer.

Now, I am wearing size 20, top and bottom. I still need to order bras (I am a G/H cup so am a bit envious of you being a DD!) online, but I can shop in any store that carries plus sizes of any sort, and it is lovely. Very freeing. I'm not even the highest plus size there.

It can be done, and you will see it happen!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Totally there. And compared to Canada, the US sizes are sooo small! I've been ordering online from down there, and while there is some variation, there's usually at least one size difference. I'm a 3X top up here. I'm a 5X in most of the places I've ordered from down there, so it must be super frustrating!

You're so close! You've worked so hard, you will get there! And I'm an H cup, so it could be worse
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'd survived on Walmart stretch pants for eons, which were very forgiving in my problem area (the waist). Nothing flattering about them though, lol. I'd grab a new pair every time my old ones would start getting the holes on the inner seams of the legs (I'm sure most of you guys know what I'm talking about), and most of them were very fake-looking denim "jeans." I'd either pick those up or get plain black for when I needed to "dress up." I mostly got away with wearing t-shirts, typically from the men's section (bigger sleeves, higher necks, more overall width and length). They were more forgiving than tailored blouses as I could stretch them out over my knees to temporarily prevent them from clinging to my midsection like sausage casing. Lane Bryant was typically out of my budget, Torrid and Catherine's were too far away (and also out of my budget) so I rarely bothered looking outside of Walmart.

On the left is one of my old typical outfits for work:

On top of it all I was living in Wisconsin at the time and couldn't find a coat big enough to zip up! And oh, I so didn't want that photo taken . . . so glad I have it now though.

One of my breaking points was browsing a mall shop with a friend (I think either at Fashion Bug or Deb) and watching her pull out all these jeans to try on from the plus size section. I pulled out what ended up being the biggest size they carried at the time and realized they had absolutely nothing that would fit me. I excused myself to find the restroom at one of the flagship stores and could not stop crying. I don't even know what size I got up to; what I do know was that it took a 40 pound loss to be able to fit into a real pair of 26/28 jeans (I was still well over 300 at that point).

My overall loss has been extremely slow. I'm not even sure what point of my journey I was at, but I do remember crying when I browsed Old Navy with the gift card my aunt had given me, and this was back when they still carried plus sizes in-store. I ended up splitting the card off to give to my nieces. It was yet another reminder of why I didn't bother looking outside of Walmart, and even Walmart had its limitations.

The photo on the right was from yesterday; I'm wearing an outfit I bought off the rack at Old Navy. I'm slowly, slowly opening up to shopping in "regular" stores, although I'm still on the edge of that, as basically being in-between plus sizes and regular sizes can actually make things a little wonky (not that I'm complaining, mind you). But I remember how frustrating it all was. I spent a lot of time pretending I didn't care for clothes because devoting any thought to it made me painfully bitter. And even when I found clothes that fit, the last thing I expected was looking halfway decent in them. I've gotten a few comments claiming that my taste in clothes has recently changed, but not really . . . I just have more options now.

Getting where I'm at now has been worth all the blood, sweat, tears, and self-doubt. You've got such a great start and a lot of determination behind it! You're bound to get under 300 before you know it, and you'll be able to shop in more stores soon. Once again, I remember what that was like. You can so do this!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
I'd grab a new pair every time my old ones would start getting the holes on the inner seams of the legs (I'm sure most of you guys know what I'm talking about).

The photo on the right was from yesterday; I'm wearing an outfit I bought off the rack at Old Navy. I'm slowly, slowly opening up to shopping in "regular" stores, although I'm still on the edge of that, as basically being in-between plus sizes and regular sizes can actually make things a little wonky (not that I'm complaining, mind you).
I love the honesty in the posts on 3FC, the "taboo" things I could never talk about in person with anyone. The pants I have on today were one of my favorites the last time I lost weight, they are 1x workout pants from Target. And I just ironed in 2 patches (1 on each leg) to cover up the holes you are talking about. I would die if anyone knew I essentially burned them out but what can I do? It is what it is. And I LOVE these pants, esp. since they are getting a bit too big now.

You look awesome in yesterday's picture!!! I saw those tops at Old Navy over the weekend and I was petrified to buy stripes to put on this body. You make me want to go back and get it now. Seriously, you look so cute. I have been shopping in "regular" stores too, such as the XLs in Macy's. I feel like I am an intruder and that people are looking at me like I don't belong. But then I try on things and they fit!! Granted, I can't wear every brand yet but most of them I can! I bought a petite XL sweater at Dress Barn the other day (I didn't want the regular length as it would have been at my knees), I smiled the whole way home. It's so humbling to me every single day.

Thank you for posting that message, it's people like you that keep me focused and on track every single day.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote