Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308 / See ticker / 200

Height: 5'4"

Question Back again! Also question..

Hi there everyone! I'm back again, I stopped coming because I was so busy with school and my diet kind of dropped off too until recently..

I had my yearly "Womanly checkup" from the doctor and after it I asked her questions about my weight since shes also my normal doctor. She told me basically to cut out -all- carbs, eat around 800 calories a day and try to workout daily. She also suggested I try the liquid diet the hospital offers.

Now I'm certainly not a doctor but I don't feel that most of that information is well..healthy? Maybe besides the working out daily..
Saracandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
cut out -all- carbs, eat around 800 calories a day
Um, no. That's ridiculous. They did not teach her that in medical school.

A board isn't the very best place to get diet advice but most folks seem to do well on either calorie restriction (based on BMI), carb restriction or similar. I would NEVER go to 800 calories a day unless a qualified nutritional therapist expert in that area advised it and monitored you closely.

I lost 99 lbs in 6 months doing very low carb, but I wouldn't advise it unless nothing else works. Whatever's least restrictive that you can lose on probably would be best in the long run. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you love it or at least can make your peace with it because this is a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet.

Last edited by DCHound; 09-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Personally, I wouldn't do it--1200 maybe with a strong focus on veggies and lean proteins--that's what works for me anyway--comPlex carbs in strict moderation are ok
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

That seems a bit extreme (800 calories!?). and probably unhealthy and unsafe if you are not being supervised by a nutritionist..
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When she suggested the liquid diet, did she tell you how much that will cost ?

Last edited by bargoo; 09-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

For someone your weight, that is too low. Trust me, you can lose quite well at 1800 calories a day for now, as I have been doing that for some time. Plus that will leave you lots of lee-way for down the road. Later on, you can lower that as you need to. I wouldn't go below 1500 right now, becuz you need so much just to fuel your body's daily needs.

The most important thing is to get started. Make out a plan that suits your likes & dislikes; add in some physical activity that you don't mind, and you are on your way.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have 2 questions for you.

1 - Is there a pressing medical issue that causes a demand for such a strict diet? If so, maybe you should get a second opinion from another doctor.

2 - Can you stick to that diet long term? I know that I couldn't!

I am a firm believer that the best diet is the one that you can live with. Of course, it needs to be one that causes weight loss, not weight gain.

PS - When I started, I was 300+ pounds, could not exercise, had thyroid issues and was in my 50s. I still lost steadily on 1800 calories. I had to lower the calorie count gradually as I lost weight.

Last edited by time2lose; 09-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I have 2 questions for you.

1 - Is there a pressing medical issue that causes a demand for such a strict diet? If so, maybe you should get a second opinion from another doctor.

2 - Can you stick to that diet long term? I know that I couldn't!

I am a firm believer that the best diet is the one that you can live with. Of course, it needs to be one that causes weight loss, not weight gain.

PS - When I started, I was 300+ pounds, could not exercise, had thyroid issues and was in my 50s. I still lost steadily on 1800 calories. I had to lower the calorie count gradually as I lost weight.
See that's the thing. I'm a 26 year old whos around 280 currently. I have -no- health issues or had any my entire life, I'm really freaking healthy. I workout 4 times a week on the elliptical now for 45 minutes and then do 15 mins of slow bike and free weights. I don't know why she suggested something so strict for me..

I don't think I could stick with something that terribly strict but so far it's been 2 months since she's told me to try that and I've been eating close to or less than 50G of carbs a day ( 100G if I workout ) and was 295 when she weighed me and this morning I'm 280. What I have going I can stick with I think I'm just worried down the line my body will get comfortable with the lack of carbs I have eating and I'll plateau again.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
When she suggested the liquid diet, did she tell you how much that will cost ?
No she didn't She said her daughter did it though and dropped a quick 50 pounds and then went on nutrisystem. I think I'll stick to trying my had at just cutting back carbs and eating 1300 calories a day.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Make sure you leave room to drop calories again later as you get smaller. When I was 370 doing very low carb I could eat over 2,000 calories a day (under 5 grams of carb) and lose weight fast. Now that I'm near 200 lbs I have to keep it at just over 1000 calories a day (and less than 5 grams of carb) to lose. I'm not going to be able to go much lower calorie than this and still be upright and walking around. Sigh.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Make sure you leave room to drop calories again later as you get smaller. When I was 370 doing very low carb I could eat over 2,000 calories a day (under 5 grams of carb) and lose weight fast. Now that I'm near 200 lbs I have to keep it at just over 1000 calories a day (and less than 5 grams of carb) to lose. I'm not going to be able to go much lower calorie than this and still be upright and walking around. Sigh.
5g of carbs? That's really really low! I was sticking to around 50 a day from this website.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz26aA1ruNp

Should I try to go under 5 ? Thats almost unbearable
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

I don't think anyone should do only 5 grams of carbs a day...Even Dr. Atkins had people eating at least 20 grams of carbs a day and that was on Induction which is the strictest phase!

I highly recommend going to the Atkins website and to get the newest book if you are considering a low-carb plan. Even if you only use it as a base there is a lot of really good information there. DCHound is right about making sure you are eating enough calories so that when you hit a plateau you will have enough calories to cut down to without starving yourself. You need to be careful and not cut calories and carbs too much--I remember reading about a plan called ******* a few years ago--it sounded like a great plan, but the people on it began having problems. I remember one of the ladies was losing her hair because she wasn't getting enough to eat which is why I said you shouldn't do only 5 grams of carbs a day.

Good luck. Listen to the ladies who get to post here regularly because they are AWESOME!
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

I guess I can't say the name of that plan from a few years ago--but it was not good.
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Quote:
Should I try to go under 5 ? Thats almost unbearable
Absolutely not. I have never and I would never advise anyone to do what I'm doing, unless they had to. I have to. I can't lose weight any other way. I can maintain on Atkins induction (20 grams carb) but I can't lose. Trust me, you don't want to do this. Eat as wide a variety as you can. Most people can have plenty of carbs and lose weight, I'm just one of the unlucky few.