Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 373/364/190

Height: 5'11

Default My feet hurt!!!

Its driving me totally nutso. Trying to work out, getting in plenty of cardio, but no matter what I do, my feet are killing me! Eliptical or treadmil, even in spin class, I've tried several pairs of shoes, even some pretty expensive ones but it never fails. It doesnt take long, maybe ten minutes or so, and my feet just start to ache. I'm hoping once I start to shed some of this excess 200 lbs or so, it will get better... does it? Has anyone else had this problem? Does it get better?
TPA sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Been there and slowly recovering from it. It has gotten better for me as I lost weight. Very frustrating when you're on a fitness path and you keep getting bumped off it!

What sort of foot pain are you experiencing? Is it localized anywhere? For me, I had plantar fasciitis and it takes time, Motrin, stretching and proper support for it to go away. I have to wear some foot braces at night too. (Annoying!)

For me, no cardio on my feet till this pain goes away. I am now using a rowing machine for my cardio, plus doing Pilates and weight training (both dumbbells and TRX). While cardio does burn more calories than not doing cardio, eating less is the most important factor in losing weight. Which is going to help my feet a lot!

I have been stretching out my toes, grabbing at the floor and pulling with my toes. Flexing and pointing my feet and toes. I roll the arches of my feet on a ball with bumps all over it (when my dog lets me have it) to massage the arches and stretch them out. I do this every day. When my feet are tired, I elevate them and ice them down, especially if I've been walking a lot.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

YES and YES and YES ... yes, it will get better; yes, I had this problem; and yes, it will get better as you lose some weight. I agree with the advice GEORGIA gave you. I also used a ROWING MACHINE, hand-weights, and toning exercises at first -- to burn cals, get stronger AND MORE fit. I also did short spurts of dancing (just 5-10 minutes) as well.

Even if you don't move around much, just move the rest of your body. Plus, don't forget chair aerobics; moving your arms burns calories too. You can do some light yoga, pilates, or even TAI CHI for beginners (which was my favorite; google that).

Plus, my doctor recommended putting my feet/legs up three times a day; and that helped a lot too. I started with 1 hour, then brought the time down; now I only put them up in the afternoon if needed and the evening if necessary. Some nights, I just go to bed a bit earlier; put my legs up and read. It all helped ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I used to have problems standing for more than a few minutes at a time, so yes, it definitely gets easier as you have less weight to carry. Hang in there!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Are your feet tight and swollen, even if you're not doing anything? If no, then your feet will strengthen and adapt quicker than you think. If they are swollen, getting the weight off is probably the best solution.

I had this issue, it was at its worst this summer when I travelled. Got to the point that I could barely walk getting out of bed. The only cure I found was weight loss. After the first 30lbs, which was probably retained fluid, I no longer had the soreness, the swelling was gone, and I can stand, even on cement, for longer periods with very little pain. The swelling was so severe I went from a 12 to a 10 shoe!

Get lots of water, and try dry brushing in the meantime to clear your system and help with the swelling.

Last edited by Radiojane; 11-04-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #6  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Just putting my twopennies worth in.
I have terrible biomechanics in my feet and knees. Partly beacause of my weight and partly because that's the way God made me!
My knees are heaps better now that I am losing weight but my feet need a good arch support and cushioning. A podiatrist may help advise you on approriate footwear, especially as you are keen to get moving!
Good luck, anad yep...it does get better!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 335 / ticker / 220

Height: 6'0

I was going through something like this a month ago. I started dieting again and exercising a whole lot (I hadn't pushed myself so much in nearly a year). I bought an exercise bike that to do 4 times a week and I played badminton for 3 hours per night for the remaining 3 days.

At first, I couldn't even get passed 10 minutes on my exercise bike because my feet, ankles and shins would start aching and when I would go to badminton, I wouldn't notice too much pain because I enjoyed myself but when I'd get home, I'd pretty much fall into a coma until the next day. I had horrible shin splits (ouch), my ankles and feet were killing me even on the next day. It was horrible to get up every morning and my wife just enjoyed my awkward walks.

Anyhow, I didn't let it slow me down and now I do 30 minutes of exercise bike at a higher level and I push myself harder in badminton. When I get home, I'm a little sore but it's very manageable and the next day, the pain is completely gone.

Assuming you have no physical issues with your feet, hang in there, it will get much better with time.

Cheers,
Pat
plangevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

My feet always hurt from exercise. I've just figured it's the extra weight, and the additional pounding my feet take when I'm exercising. Usually the hurt worst the next day, like they are bruised. On an elliptical trainer they go numb, though.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

See a podiatrist. My feet ached. I got orthotics because I found I needed them. Being overweight can effect your gait too which damages feet. My orthotics were such a life saver. Why suffer until you lose enough and you may still be in pain. Good luck
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #10  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Seeking the advice of a podiatrist is the best course of action— if you can afford it. I am slowly recovering from pain in my feet so severe that I couldn't bear to stand in one place for more than a minute or two and the pain first thing in the morning was worse. I found that over-the-counter orthotics provided cushioning and some relief. Also, recumbent exercise equipment (bike, cross-trainer) was a safe, effective way to get cardio exercise. I also discovered that resting my foot on a bag of crushed ice helped to relieve the swelling and pain. A warm water soak seemed like it would be soothing but actually made it worse. There's nothing like losing 30+ pounds though!
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #11  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Yes, check with your doc. Could just be usual pain, or could be you have a problem that can be corrected.

A few other thoughts: if your feet are puffy, make sure you're drinking enough water. I've also found that trying to elevate my feet whenever I'm sitting, even for a short time, helps keep them from getting puffy.

Finally, I had a lot of foot and knee pain that improved when I started taking fish oil--general reduction of inflammation, I guess.

As others have said, yes, yes, you can feel better as you lose weight.

Good luck.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 476/476/170

Height: 5'7''

Sheesh! My feet pretty much constantly hurt - regardless. At my current size, I can walk but not too far of a distance before I need a sit break.

Sick and tired of being in pain though!
AnaFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/199/135

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

Ouch this sounds painful, I'm sorry! I don't know if this is feasible for you (because I don't know if you have a local pool in your area or not) but you could try water aerobics or water running, water bootcamp, things along those lines? Water exercise is awesome cardio but is gentle on your joints and would put almost no pressure on your feet. (:
heartinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 373/364/190

Height: 5'11

Thanks everyone for all the support! That's why i love it here sooo much!

I do have plantar fascitis, but seems to be getting better with more frequent stretching. I do retain water, sometimes more than others, but make sure I drink enough. On the bike or eliptical my feet just go totally numb! Another mentioned the same thing, so I"m glad I'm not the only one. As a nursing student, I have to take care of my feet! 12 hour clinicals aren't doing me any favors either. But some of the drug store inserts are helping.

I don't think I would have gone to the dr over this complaint, figureing I would just hear ... LOSE WEIGHT! DUH! But once I'm able to again (unemployed and uninsured) I will see a podiatrist. My gym does have a pool with several classes, I'm going to start going to that but I hafta get some of those dorky water shoes first. 8lbs down so far, its only gonna get better from here!
TPA sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 349.8/229/165

Height: 5'9"

I agree with getting your feet checked by a doctor. It could be gout (my friend had this and could barely stand) or planters fieshitiuos (sp), which I got after starting to work out. It felt like I had bruised my feet. Hurt to get out of bed!!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote