Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Default This is 1 club I dont want to be in.

I am apart of this club. But I hope to leave it some time soon. I am just now starting out my weight loss journey and I know it's going to be a long and hard one. So any advice?

Those of you who were in the 300+ club and escaped
Those of you who are still here but been working at it for awhile.

I can use all the help I can get.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Im under 300 but hang out here because of the wonderful friends!! Warning you may come here and like and never leave!! Not because you didnt lose the weight but because its like home!! Good luck on your journey! Feel free to join us on a thread and in the lifeboat!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm below 300 and have been for some time. I stay because everyone here understands the struggles - whether still morbidly obese or not. Sometimes others are not so aware.

Welcome!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #4  

I consider myself still part of the the elite group of people who understand what being afraid of booths at restaurants means or being afraid of those horrid plastic chairs. These are the people who understand what it means not to have to ask for a seatbelt extender while flying or marveling that the tray table on the airplane can open all the way flat.

Don't despair! Best advice I've gotten is to do baby steps. Do things to increase health that you can live with without changing something drastically. Oh, and bad eating days happen. That doesn't mean it's a free-for-all and to quit - it means to stop as soon as possible and to start back to eating healthy.

Welcome and come post on our ongoing threads!! Positives, the Lifeboat, the monthly ones.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #5  
Stevia Nicks

S/C/G: HW334/SW314/CW304/GW170

Height: 5'11"

You CAN do it!!
You WILL feel better!!
Luceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I am barely under 300 and got to be by hanging out here. I will stay here as my weight goes down for the same reasons shared above. I think it helps to have support from people who know what is like to be 300 pounds or more having lived it.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #7  

Yes that's true. If you have never been in this club then people dont know what it's like. It's very hard!

But i"m sure with all of your support I can start making myself better! For ME! no one else! I've tired to do it for my parents and it never worked. But now I want to do it!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 369/307/182

Height: 5" 9

Hi i'm a member of the 300+ club but don't intend to be above 300 for too much longer!

I understand the trying to do it for your parents thing, i've started the journey several times but all because someone else wanted me to, now i'm doing it for me, because I want it!

dandelieon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #9  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

Height: 5'6"

^That's an awesome reason!

I'm with a lot of ya'll. I haven't been a member for very long and the 200s are only 7 lbs and some change away (I'm so excited!) - but I'll always come over here because these folks understand the 300+ lb struggles and the victories that someone who never weighed more than 180 can understand.

Sometimes I wish to forget that I ever weighed almost 400 lbs, but it is such a huge part of who I am - I don't think I could erase it no matter how hard I tried. Working on accepting that.
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Welcome. My advice is start out slow, don't overwhelm yourself, and stick to it. Just keep at it. One day at a time. You can do anything for one day, right?
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #11  

I started at 386.6 and now am at 329.1 as of this morning. I can totally relate to the post above about restaurant booths, plastic chairs and seat belt extenders. How about waiting rooms at dr's office and other places that only have "skinny" chairs w/arms so you wander around pretending to read the certificates on the wall? I want to go to a movie theater again - haven't been in several years -- or fly and not have to buy two seats - and how the heck do you even fit in an airplane bathroom at 300+? Anyway, I appreciate being with others not just for commiseration but also for support and encouragement!
dellastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #12  

Ugh.. Fast food is my downfall.. I cant resist stopping for some.. HOW do I stop!!! seriously even if I dont have the money i'm going to fast food..
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotperfect24 View Post
Ugh.. Fast food is my downfall.. I cant resist stopping for some.. HOW do I stop!!! seriously even if I dont have the money i'm going to fast food..
Sometimes the ritual of getting the fast food is as important as the fast food itself. It's like when I go to a coffee shop to get coffee. It's way cheaper and faster for me to make it at home, but I love going to the coffee shop to get my favorite latte (which has more calories). My solution was to chose something slightly lower calorie or choosing the smaller version of what I wanted.

Not sure if any of this applies to you. I can't tell you why the ritual is important. It was just something I noticed in me.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 304/207.2/150

Take it from someone that was a fast food/take out queen. It can be difficult but it can be done. I went from fast food/take out all most everyday to having it only two times in the past month. The fast food was in the smallest portion and the take out was grilled and with steamed veggies. I have learned not to completely deny myself of things I want but to be smarter about it and watch my portions.
Meka150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotperfect24 View Post
There's a couple of things: Firstly, you've got to really want to stop. And that's a hard one. Who doesn't love fast food? I would be lying if I said I didn't. But you've got to want to have a smaller body more than you want that fast food in order to give yourself that push and finally break the habit.

Secondly, sometimes all of the above does not apply. You may have been doing well for weeks or months and then one day, out of nowhere, decide that you want to go and have a fast food binge. When these moments come along it's best not to have choices. I am lucky in that regard. I don't have a car and I don't drive; the nearest fast food place is not within walking distance. I also spend all of my money (I'm a poor student) on healthy food for the week and so rarely is there any funds left for a fast food binge, even if I wanted one. Basically -- make it as hard for yourself as possible, using any methods necessary, to have an unplanned binge. Though cheat days are different, which brings me to my next point.

Please remember that you do not have to say goodbye forever. There's nothing wrong with enjoying fast food. It's how often you enjoy it that will dictate your success. Look at it this way: you might give yourself one day, once every two or so weeks, where you can go out and have all the things that you like. Once that day's over you get right back on plan and the damage is minimal. You don't have to forsake everything that you love in order to lose weight; you just have to reduce how often you are having it.

I allow myself a cheat day once every two weeks and I find it very helpful. I get to eat what I like (though next time I'm going to seriously think about what I eat before I eat it -- the last couple of cheat days I have become extremely ill after eating something my body is no longer used to) and I don't have to feel guilty. I also don't have to deprive myself of anything.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I know exactly what you're going through. I used to suffer from the uncontrollable compulsion to go out every day, without fail, and spend money that I didn't have on absolute junk from the supermarket. In fact, spending that money made me lose my apartment -- I should have been keeping up to date with my rent! Instead I was binging every day and I honestly, truly, felt helpless to stop, like I didn't have a chance in **** of ever breaking the cycle.

But you do. You just have to sit back and think about what you really want. What you're going to want and who you're going to be a year from now. Don't feel helpless and don't feel as if you're going to have to give up the things you love forever. You don't. All you need to do is sit down and come up with a plan.

Last edited by Amy23; 05-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote