Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 407/335.6/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing too Quickly

I just started Weight Watchers 6 weeks ago. I am not eatting all the points allowed but I am satisfied. I average 1400-1600 calories a day. I am concerned about the warnings of losing weight too quickly - is it related to my size? Does it seem excessive?

Loss by week:
Dthornby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #2  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Well, I wouldn't say it's worrisome if e-tools balks at you for losing too fast, because it is possible go faster than 2 lbs per week if you are at a higher weight and just starting out. Everyone is different obviously and I started out at a different weight but it took 8 months (and sluggish losses for October!) for my weekly average to finally drop to 2 lbs a week overall.

But you should probably aim for more points/calories especially since you are following a plan that wants you to. And make sure you are getting your good health guidelines in as much as possible. There are many easy ways to increase calories/points without adding a lot of bulk, such as nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy products and salad dressings. When I started with WW I had a hard time eating all of my points so I would do things like toss some walnuts over a salad or in my yogurt, or add 1-2 Tbsp of pb with my serving of fruit. One 2 Tbsp serving of most pbs is 5 pp right there! You don't have to look at the extra points like trying to fit another meal in, just try to throw a little extra in at meals/snacks and use low bulk high point items mentioned above.

Good luck!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

It doesn't seem excessive to me at your weight. However, I do ink you have room to up your calories to around 1700-1800. That way, you'll lose weight and have somewhere to go when your body starts to get used to it.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

What seems odd to me, is that I've heard of others who've gotten the WW warning online - and from what I've noticed, it seems that the warning is automatically generated for anyone who is losing more than 2 lbs per week consistently regardless of the person's weight.

That really doesn't make sense to me, because 2 lbs per week is very different when you have 20 lbs to lose, than when you have more than 100 lbs to lose.

Now maybe I haven't encountered enough people to know if that's really how the warning is determined.

That being said, some people do find that they can actually lose more, if they eat a little more. It seems counterintuitive if you believe all calories are equal. For myself, they're not. When I reduce carbohydrates I can eat more AND still lose more weight than on higher-carb. To lose about the same amount of weight, I can choose to eat 1800 calories or lower carb or 1500 calories of higher carb. I'm less hungry, have more energy, feel like doing more, and my normally low body temperature is closer to normal (making me think my metabolism is probably also a bit higher - because it takes energy to maintain a higher body temperature).

Eating more isn't the only reason I'm less hungry too, because I'm hungrier on 3000 calories of high-carb than on 1000 calories of very low carb.

I don't think your current loss is dangerous or worrisome, but I would encourage you to experiment with different point levels (and consider experimenting with different carb levels within your point alottment - if that's something you'd like to do and wouldn't find distracting or discouraging).

At the very least, I'd suggest experimenting with avoiding processed carbs. It was amazing to me how not only my weight loss, but also my health problems responded so well to reducing refined sugar and grains.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone. Last night I doubled my ice cream serving and had a sandwich - still had 5 points to go. So I think I am going to look at opportunities to boost some calories/points during meals and shoot for 1600 calories. Will continue to watch carbs as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I wish I knew where I heard it /read it but I always thought 1% body weight was an "okay" amount to lose. That said I can barely manage to keep off weight right now so I applaud you. I love my eating too much! I'm trying to get it back under control (yet again!)
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi! I'm on WW, too, and I did the program before, years ago. I had started at 245 and got to 165 in about 5 months. There were many weeks I lost five pounds. I had strictly followed my points, eaten healthfully, and exercised one hour a day. The heavier we are, the more we will lose on average until we get further into the 100s. I don't see your losses as anything to be concerned about right now.

One piece of advice, though, if I may: it is important to eat your points. I don't know what kinds of foods you're eating, but I am eating 41 a day and because I eat mainly healthful foods, I find it a bit difficult to get them all in. But, two things will happen: you will lose more quickly, and you will give your body the proper fuel it needs to function well and be healthy as you lose.

Good luck! You're doing great so far!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

People are high weights tend to lose quickly at first. It is completely normal. I have seen it time and time again.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #9  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

yep canadianwoman's right. That thing b*tches at me all the time. if you are at a higher weight, the first bit is going to come off quite quickly if you start slashing cals.
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Not too fast at all! I experienced losses weekly very similar to your own.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #11  

Default Losing Too Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Not too fast at all! I experienced losses weekly very similar to your own.
Good to know. Of course after posting this I had my first gain :-(
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #12  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

As everyone has said before, eating too few calories or not enough points(as you're on the WW plan), will cause you to actually slow down in weight loss. I've just experienced this. October was a healthy month for me, but I wasn't getting enough calories to allow my body to function, or to lose weight. I had plateau'ed but I was content as long as I didn't GAIN anything back. I figured out after having a few days where I ate a bit more slightly calorie meals than what I was, which I was trying to pull 1000 calorie day and think it was okay, that I was starting to lose again.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote