Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/332/180

Height: 5'7

Default "Fat Friendly" Doctors...Any Suggestions? :?

I need a new GP, one who won't blow off EVERY problem with the answer "lose weight"! I have had some pretty bad experiences this year with a Doctor refusing to do anything about what I consider to be a significant problem (Chest pains! Probably anxiety related, but not at all dealt with!), because I hadn't lost any weight between visits! I need someone who will see beyond the weight and treat the whole person. I live in the Northern Virginia area, and would love some suggestions if you've got them. Anyone else in the same boat? Maybe we can do some informal Dr referring?
Aromyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Whenever I meet a new doctor, I do my best to address the weight before they can. I tell them up front, "I know I need to lose weight, and I've been trying all my life - and I will continue to try (and if you have any questions or suggestions I'll be happy to discuss them), but in the mean time we need to treat the body I have now, not the body I may or may not have in the future."

I've had a lot fewer problems with doctors since I've began doing this. My current doctor is awesome, maybe because he's struggling with weight issues himself (not nearly as much weight as I am, by a long shot - maybe 20 to 30 lbs at most, but he knows what it's like to struggle and even fail at weight loss and health changes like exercise. So he's a lot more compassionate than most).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/133.4/123

Height: 5'3

You might want to look at this list
tigrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

I've had this problem a lot. Even when I was only mildly overweight, when I got pregnant with my first child, I had to hear at every visit that the doctor expected me to lose weight instead of gain.
I have found that older doctors tend to let it slide more and concentrate on what's wrong. I know it can be hard to find, but if you can find a doctor who is overweight, it helps.
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I like kaplods approach to a new doc. I've been very lucky in the docs I've seen throughout the years. I've only had a problem with one who had a problem with my weight and I only saw him to treat my endometriosis. The only other issue I had my weight was when I was pregnant with my second son and I was only told that should I get up to 350 or over I would have to transfer to a different hospital because at the time that was what their OR tables were rated for.

I have a wonderful doc now who listens to me, even tries holistic approaches if needed and I would be crushed should I have to find another one. I hope you can find one that fits you and your needs.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote