Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #1  
Started July 1, 2011

Height: 5'7

Default So upset with my body!!!!

I went to weigh-in and I gained 3.5 lbs since Friday!!!!! Really? Really? How does that happen? I've been following this stupid program, eating these vegetables and grilled/baked/crockpot meat, taking the pills they say to take, walking 15 minutes per day, and I GAIN weight. I honestly have not cheated -drinking 3-4 HNSs (Metabolic Research Center drinks) per day, investing my money and my body betrays me like this???!?!?!?!?!!!! Does anyone realize what I could have eaten to gain 3.5 lbs...ugh...I am so upset right now...why couldn't I get a maintain? 3.5 lbs, c'mon now...
luvs2read79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 317/297/150

Height: 5'5"

oh im sorry to hear that ive had the same problem before it ended up that i had eaten meat that was verry salty . could you of eaten something with too much sodium or bread does it to me as well. maybe your body is retaining water ? it could verry well be that TOM.
aidensmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Before you get all upset.... 3.5 lbs of WHAT?

Because you could stuff your pockets full of rocks and get on a scale and "show a gain" ... but it isn't fat tissue and it is NOT real gain.

Same with water retention -- water is 0 calories but weighs something whether in a pitcher or inside your cells. And you can retain water from exercise, or sodium or TOM... even extra fiber from the veggies causing a little bloat.

Take a deep breath, take a step back, and let your body adjust.

This level of wigginz since Friday? That's just over the long weekend. I swear more than half of this is maintaining the right attitude in your head while undergoing change. It's hard, but you don't need to make the process HARDER being this keyed up at each bump in the road. It's going to be bumpy, it's going to be a while on the journey.

Buckle up, and try to hang in there!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-26-2011 at 06:49 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 398/257/150

Height: 5'6"

It's really disheartening when this happens but think about it logically. In order to have gained 3.5 lbs you would have had to have taken in an extra 12,250 calories above what you burned in the past 3 days. That's quite a big feat to accomplish and I'm guessing that's not the case here so there must be another explanation as the above poster mentioned.

Our bodies have a mind of their own it seems from time to time so take it for what it is and move forward. Beating yourself up about a number is not worth the time or effort. Keep up the good work and the weight will come off !!
LeslieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #5  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

As everyone else has said, you didn't gain 3.5 pounds of fat.

One of the reasons I weigh daily is that it helps me get used to temporary swings. When TOM is on the way, I have on occasion retained as much as 6 pounds of water, which all comes off after TOM goes--although as I work harder on drinking enough water, this is happening less. But, as others have said, sodium will do it too. Lately I've even weighed myself before I get dressed and after (normally I weigh in my jammies) and found that my street clothes weigh about 2 pounds! (no shoes--just chino pants, socks, shirt)! Constipated? That'll put a couple pounds on for me, too. So many things can account for a couple of pounds that aren't actual weight gain.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/progress/life

One thing I've learned this past year is there are a lot of losses and gains on a journey to a healthier you. Not all of them are on the scale. Learning to take the good with the bad is what has allowed me to keep the big picture in mind. Keep on truckin', it'll happen.
Also agree with the undeserved (and not real) gains that come with being a woman. It's just part of life that we all get the joy of experiencing.
goodnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Everyone else has already said it.

Stick with it. It'll pay off given time.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #8  
Started July 1, 2011

Height: 5'7

Default Thanks

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I am really trying to put this undeserved gain in perspective. I wasn't hungry at any point and didn't have a real desire to eat off plan...I was just upset. I had my on program dinner and am drinking water. I still plan to get my walk in (even though I've already met my goal of 3 x per week) either by hitting the street with my sister and cousin or by doing the WATP DVD. TOM ended on Sunday so I thought weight gain related to that was gone...maybe it's sodium...it has to be something...there's no way I gained 3.5 lbs and REALLY hope it disappears by my Friday weigh-in.
luvs2read79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 239/159.6/130

Height: 5'2"

it could just be higher sodium level or something. idk. i just had the same problem and it was freaking me out even though logically i can see i havent really gained weight. but to make myself feel a lil better i just put in double time in my work out. maybe you can do the same and it'll go away =]
shelley3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #10  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, I can so relate. I struggle with this too... I just have to keep telling myself that if I make the right decisions the scale will have no choice but to go down eventually. Hang in there and don't give up!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #11  

Save yourself some pain and only weigh once a week. Same time, same day.

Weight can fluctuate a lot for a variety of reasons.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 365/341/160

In the last two weeks I have actually gained 1/4 of a pound. So not happy.
I feel ya.
Samantha1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #13  

I weigh daily but that doesn't work for everyone. I have been tracking my daily weights with fitday program and what I have found is that every time I gain a few pounds and have been OP, I will always have a big drop within 2-3 days. So now when I see the gain, I am actually more motivated because I know a loss is not far behind. Not sure why this happens, but maybe your body is doing the same to you. Stay strong and work through it an you can't help be successful.
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

I hate the scale. For me, it's demotivating, so I tossed mine out and I'm just going by clothes sizes. I am probably under 200 lbs now but I'm not going to get on the scale and find out because I truly do not need to know. Scale weight fluctuates based on anything and nothing. It's how you look and feel, how your clothes fit, staying on whatever plan you're on and getting the exercise you need to keep your metabolism firing that counts.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote