Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #16  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Wow, you know, I had to write and re-write my own response, but now having read what others have posted, I just have to share with the 3FC group: You guys are great and generous and I'm very proud to be associated with you. Clever may or may not realize how much emotional and mental effort went into all these responses, but I think I have a good guess.

Love you folks!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #17  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

People can change.

We can't change other people.

You have two roads to peace, either accept her the way she is and let her own her own ****. Be there if she asks for your help, but let her be the leader of her own recovery. Or, decide that the lifestyle you would adopt to spend time with her is not acceptable and walk away.

Nobody here likes choice 2 (frankly we hate your guts because you are clearly toying with choice 2) because so many of us have been hurt to the very core of our being by that same rejection.

In an ideal world, you accept her just as she is, she discovers her own path to health and your friendship blossoms and endures. It is the ultimate outcome. I am almost holding my breath wishing it for the both of you.

All the best,
Snap
Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

It is ok to desire to engage in more activities with your friend and desire good health for her but the fact that you are irritated (or "pissed" by your own words) by the parking situation, the fact that you cannot ride roller coasters with her, or go canoeing shows that you lack compassion and probably should not spend weeks at a time with her because you probably give off vibes (it is hard to hide when you are "pissed"). Perhaps a phone relationship is the extent of your friendship.
I am not sure why your potential friends have to be able to go on cruises to be friends with them. One of my friends recently had a baby and yes, our activities are more restricted because she has the baby and we rarely hang out without him present...but I did not get a parenting forum and post that I am angry because we cannot go to the movies anymore.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's possible this was only a troll, because he or she has not responded. If so, not a very artful troll.

I don't hate OP's guts, but I do pity him or her. To limit yourself to only friendships that are easy, to only people who share your level of ability and a limited list of specific interests, to friends who are never a burden it's just so sad. Not for OP's friend, for OP.

At my most limited, I thrived on the friends who could share with me in the telling what I could not experience in reality. And I shared with them, things they'd never experienced. And I never felt they or I were "slumming" because our abilities didn't match up. Nor did I feel anyone was bored to tears in my presence, because we found a lot of things to do, even when I was almost bed-ridden. Yes my friends have had to make adjustments like dropping me off at the door and then parking, and not parking so close to another car that I couldn't get out. But if it was tough for them once a week, they realized how tough it must be for me every day. I don't see that compassion, or that willingness to make small accomodations for a friend. Being overweight, even morbidly so is a relatively small consession. I learned what true inconvenience was when I met my FIL who was confined to a motorized cart from MS (his weight was barely above average, and he'd been at a healthy weight before his disability).

It made me realize how "handicapped accessible" is a joke. We went to restaurants and couldn't stay, because while they had handicapped parking and handicapped bathrooms, there was no way for FIL to move in the restaurant and no way to get to the handicapped accessible bathroom. What good is a handicapped bathroom (or parking lot for that matter) when the whole restaurant is inaccessible. The aisles were too narrow for the chair to get through (and it was one of the most streamlined chairs) and the tables were all so high that even if FIL had reached a table his eyebrows would be at the table height. How stupid!

When my husband asked why? The manager said "we did what the law required us to do," so the law was satisfied, but not the spirit of the law. The purpose of the law, to make public places accessible, was completely ignored. Iit wouldn't have taken a genius or an engineer to place a few tables at a normal height on the main floor, and to have a wider pathway (even just one) to the restrooms.

Empathy is always a bit of a challenge, because we only see with the eyes we have - but if we only choose friends who are our intellectual, physical, and emotional equals, it becomes impossible, because we never have a chance to experience or exercise true empathy. There's no opportunity for growth.

The world is a very boring and bland place, when we surround ourselves only with people just like us, and that's what it seems OP is trying to do. At any rate a lack of imagination comes through, because there are so many things to do besides the few that were listed. Whenever a person has limitations, they AND their friends learn to work around them, and no one "suffers" for it, unless they choose to.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-05-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think the poster has a lot of ideas to chew on here, so I'm going to go ahead and close it down.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The discussion continues here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-...revisited.html
Closed Thread