3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   Waist size inconsistency, others? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/223624-waist-size-inconsistency-others.html)

Thin Desire 01-25-2011 01:45 PM

Waist size inconsistency, others?

I was wondering if there were any supersize people who went down in weight who've had this phenomenon and what to do about it. At my highest weight of 448 lbs, my waist was anywhere between 64 and 72 inches around. Since I've been in the 280s region, it's averaged anywhere from 54 to 49 inches, and today it's at 48.8 or so, but that's admittedly pulling in a bit, loosely it could still be 52.

Today I am 263 lbs. I have a friend who is also obese and weighs about 295-303 or so, and HIS waist is 49 inches. I know when I lost weight before, my waist was more firmly in the 40s, so what gives. And one forum had a guy weighing 263 with a 38-inch waist (?!). He was a bodybuilder admittedly.

Does this mean that even when I get down to a normal weight, I'm still gonna have this huge waist that's 10 inches bigger than other people my height and weight? One of my biggest problems is finding clothing in a normal store. I can't get anything other than shorts at a normal store (Walmart, Target, etc.), At my current waist size I still have to go to a Big and Tall? I'm a guy, women have it easier in this regard for some reason, larger women can get pants and dresses at the mainstream stores, not an option for me. Shirts yes.

Will it EVER get to a normal size? I'm finding it sad and frustrating. It's like I'm still carrying the ghost of 400+ pounds. :(

beerab 01-25-2011 01:57 PM

Of course you will get to a smaller size waist! I'm not a "supersize" person but I've seen it done before- don't worry :)

kaw 01-25-2011 03:03 PM

Congrats on the weight loss!

Our proportions don't stay constant over time. It's quite common for women to move closer to a typical male-pattern fat distribution as they age, i.e., a lower proportion of fat around the hips and thighs and a higher proportion accumulating around the waist. The shift is tied to estrogen levels, so not surprisingly it becomes especially pronounced when women approach and go through menopause. But, the redistribution is happening throughout our lives, so regardless of your age this could be (partly) what's going on.

Or, it could just be One of Those Things. Waist measurements are really hard to take consistently, because it depends on whether you're inhaling or exhaling, sucking it in or staying completely relaxed (easier said than done), etc.

//b. strong,
Kim

Thin Desire 01-25-2011 10:15 PM

Aw thank you {{Hugs}}

Well I don't mean to embarrass you, but I am a guy, so it's probably good that my waist is following male-pattern, lol. Although I DO think I have hormonal issues because at my fattest, I had very wide hips, although stomach was still bigger, and was commonly mistaken for a woman, which is just an odd phenomenon of seeing very large person = woman, unless they are wearing a sporting cap and spitting tobacco or something. I got catcalled and ma'amed and wolf whistled more than you can realize, lol.

At any rate, what I'm saying is, for some reason my waist is about 5 to 10 inches larger than people who are my weight or outweigh me by 30 lbs, and it's really depressing. And, I'm just wondering if it's always gonna be big as a result when I get to a normal weight, because of extra skin or whatever.

debuneko 01-25-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thin Desire (Post 3675774)
At any rate, what I'm saying is, for some reason my waist is about 5 to 10 inches larger than people who are my weight or outweigh me by 30 lbs, and it's really depressing. And, I'm just wondering if it's always gonna be big as a result when I get to a normal weight, because of extra skin or whatever.

I think it may indeed be extra skin. It may take some time, but it will eventually shrink more. You may never be the same size as a person who never weighed your top weight, but it will probably come a bit closer to what you expect.

The skin on your body fully replaces itself once every seven years so it may take some time. Also, the elastic qualities of some areas are destroyed by too much stretching (I have the same issues in areas of my body), but it will get better.

reptogirl 01-26-2011 12:11 AM

i know what you mean, last year i lost weight and when i got to the weight i am right now i was able to fasten the seatbelt, well i continued losing a little more, and gained it all back but 9, but i can't fasten the seatbelt, although i could at this weight last year.

BeautifullyBroken 01-26-2011 06:26 PM

Thin, my husband is the same way. He weighs the same as his brother. But his brother has never been over 300 and my hubby has. He hubby wears a 44 and my BIL wears a 40. But litterly they are the same weight. But it has to do weight height as well.

princesspuffypants 01-27-2011 05:36 AM

it also probabally has to do with your core strength. yoga and pilates will help tighten your midsection

pnkrckpixikat 01-31-2011 01:38 PM

one thing i didnt notice anyone mention, everyones body both distributes weight differently as well as loses fat deposits differntly.

For example, my waist and hips are shedding inchs faster then my thighs and arms do so i will frequntly be small enough in the torso for the next clothes size down but i cant because of my arm or leg size.

It could be that your body is holding on to your stoach fat and shedding other places first.

I do also 2nd the person who advised working the core, it might not solve the issue immediately if your body is being stubborn, but it will help to have a smaller and more toned sape once your body does start losing from the torso and oncee you hit goal