Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #1  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Default Am I really not eating enough?

Okay, this has been a heated topic of discussion between myself and several well-meaning friends and family members.

My weight and height are displayed over there <-- if you need the info. I work a desk job, am a couch potato (yay for video games!), but faithfully work out 6 days a week (3x cardio, 3x strength). I log everything that goes into my mouth, and keep careful track of all nutrients through an awesome app on my iPhone.

The app claims my daily calorie goal should be around 2000, not counting what I burn while exercising. Other meters I have found all claim the same thing, that I shouldn't go under 2000, including eating more to make up for the exercise-calories.

My average is between 1400 and 1600 calories, not counting the ones I burn while exercising (which is quite a bit, since I do pretty intense cardio). But I'm not hungry! Ever! I eat healthy and pretty clean, and feel satisfied with the amounts I eat, but a few people who know my eating/exercise regimen worry that I'm not eating enough.

I can't say how weight loss is going lately, as my scale weighs me differently every time I get on it. It's driving me nuts, though, because I don't feel like I'm losing as much as I'm well able to.

My question is this: Am I eating too little? Should I up my calories and see how it goes?
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

IMO, as long as you're not going below the magical 1200 and are still loosing weight, keep doing what you're doing. It's nobody's business but yours how much you're eating.
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

Wow, you've lost 40 pounds that is awesome. I would say if you are not hungry and you are satisfied why eat more.
I finally come to the realization I struggle with not eating enough then I binge eat for a few days then not eat enough then binge eat, I don't do this intentionally but I know I need to eat more just cause I am hungry and my calories are below 900 on the low days. I also have a desk job and do an hour of high intensity cardio 5-6 days a week and 20 min strength training 3-4 days week but don't count the calories burned this may explain my cravings for carbs some days.
Your post inspires me so thank You!
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I think you are doing just great! Your calories sound fine, and even better, you are paying attention to your body which is the best thing to do. If you find you are hungry or start getting intense cravings, re-evaluate.

At 332, I was doing 1600-1800 calories and eating very clean and I felt/feel healthy and energetic all the time (I am down at 1300 calories now however).

PS What do you play? gamer here, too <3
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
I think you are doing just great! Your calories sound fine, and even better, you are paying attention to your body which is the best thing to do. If you find you are hungry or start getting intense cravings, re-evaluate.

At 332, I was doing 1600-1800 calories and eating very clean and I felt/feel healthy and energetic all the time (I am down at 1300 calories now however).

PS What do you play? gamer here, too <3
The part about being energetic is one thing that makes me think I should up a bit. I rarely have energy, and I usually have to take a nap before exercising so that I can really push myself.

Oh jeez, the list is a long one. Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Zelda, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, etc., etc.
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #6  
The Awesomest

S/C/G: 320/275/180

Height: 5'8

I was like that, with no energy. I was ready to go to bed by 7 every night and falling asleep on the couch at 8. I was just tired all the time. Then one night we ordered pizza and I went over my calories by about 1000 that day and after that I was fine. I went back to a lower level but I wasn't exhausted anymore, or falling asleep in the early evening.
lifeasme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #7  
The Awesomest

S/C/G: 320/275/180

Height: 5'8

I should add that my level isn't super low. I aim for about 1200 but I don't count everything. There are a couple of things that I don't bother to count but add up to 100-200 more calories a day. So my 1200 is really more like 1400. That seems to work fine for me. Less than 1200 and I start to feel really bad though.
lifeasme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #8  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I tend to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, even though most of those calculators recommend higher based on my current weight. However, I tend to go with the logic of listening to my body. If I'm feeling like I have a reasonable amount of energy and I'm not hungry, I see no reason to eat more. However, if I'm feeling lethargic or hungry, I add foods, and sometimes go up to about 1500-1800 calories. When I add foods, I only add on plan foods...typically fruits, veggies, lean proteins, nuts, or whole grains. This typically happens about once a week or so, and I do my best to make sure I never claim one of these days just because I feel like eating
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think there are too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate answer. There's really no way to find the calorie level or food plan best suited for you, except by experimentation. Many people find they actually lose more on say 1800 calories than 1200, or better on 2200 calories than 1800. There may be a lot of reasons, and the reasons don't really matter, you just have to experiment and see what works best.

Use your food journal and write down everything you eat, and everything you feel (even if you don't stick to plan, write it down anyway).

You do have to give each experment a few months, because even one month isn't enough to be sure you're seeing actual trends and not just coincidence or monthly hormonal cycles.

My food journals helped me discover that I lose more on 1800 calories of low-carb than on 1800 calories of high-carb. I'm also hungrier on 2,000 calories of high-carb than on 1,000 calories of low-carb. I've found other quirks that helped me find the plan that is best for my mental and physical health (wheat and sugar aggravate my rosacea and dermatitis, and high-carb in general results in more pain flares from my fibro and arthritis).

So to answer your question, only you can know, and the only way you can know is to experiment carefully and repeat the experiment several times (I must have reintroduced wheat a dozen times before I was truly convinced that it was truly causing or aggravating skin issues. The longer I went without wheat, the smaller amounts of wheat it took to see a reaction).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

having too low of a caloric intake, especially when you work out can put your body in starvation and you will lose the wrong kind of weight. it tends to eat away at muscle rather than fat. most calculators arent just random algorythms, they are based on medical information. and ones like daily plate have been researched by doctors. i know that everyones situation is different, but not all calories are the same too. eating a candy bar is not the same as eating a healthy salad, although they can have the same calories. if you are used to eating too few calories it may take a while for your body to snap out of starvation and realize it has the extra calories to use. but its definately worth adding a few hundred. your body needs the fuel. ive had a nutritionist for a long time. she keeps trying to get me to eat 1900 calories. i average 1500, and skate 8 hours a week, and dont lose anything. when i ear more i lose. yes everyone is different but body mechanics are still pretty similar
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote