Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/T/160

Height: 5'8

Unhappy First week....does it get any easier?

I have been very overweight my entire life....I am finally decided to do something about it. I'm tired of my weight effecting everything about my day/life. I started WW at work last Wednesday. I already KNEW a lot about the nutrition stuff, I just never really followed it. I figured "I'm already this fat, what's a little more?".

Now, for the past 6 days, I've followed the plan as closely as possible (pretty much just counting calories). I've definitely started eating better. Today was just NOT a good day though. I was hungry all day. One part of me thought "oh, just give up - you're not going to see this through anyway...you always fail at diets", but the other side was definitely fighting with it. I've stayed within the allotted calories, and am doing OKAY, just am not very happy about it at the moment. I want a dang cookie!

Also, I don't have a scale in my house because I never cared to look at it. Now, I really want to know if I have anything to show for it after such a short time. They tell me not to weigh myself other than during "weigh in" for weight watchers, but, that's hard when I need a little motivation.

I can tell a little bit already. This is pretty personal, but, I hadn't had my period in about 8 months. I started eating healthier, and few calories, and it started again two days ago. Being on my period isn't the happiest thing that's ever happened to me, but I know at least my body is starting to function correctly.

I know it will be a VERY long journey to get where I would ultimately want to be. I haven't weighed under 200 lbs since before I was 13 (yes, 13). I'm trying to do small steps, but, from all you experienced losers out there - does it get easier? When you want to quit and just eat that cookie or burrito, what do you do to keep motivated?

Thanks for anyone that read. Just typing this out helped me feel better. Good luck to everyone on their journey.
redumbrella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

It normally gets easier after the first month or at least that is my experience in the past. I will be starting my third week tomorrow, and many of my cravings are subsiding. When I have a sweet tooth, I give into watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, and sometimes I allow myself to have a little juice. To me, counting calories is easier for me (I did WW in the past). I haven't felt hungry at all since I've been counting calories. You may want to give WW a chance and if it doesn't work for you, switch to counting calories. Everyone is different, what may work for one person (diet wise), may not work for you.
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

Well... yes and no.

The more you lose, the more it takes to lose. So in a way, it gets harder.

HOWEVER, I personally find that once I start seeing results, it motivates me to stick to it. The thinner you get, the easier exercising gets. Also, when I cut junk out, especially sugar and starches, it gets REALLY bad for a short time, and I crave them like CRAZY, but then once they get out of my system, I still want them, but it's less of a crazed NEED for them, if that makes any sense?

I'm a binger, so I tend to do just fine all day and then go insane at night, so I try going to bed earlier, saving half my calories for a big dinner, mowing down on air popped popcorn and baby carrots, but my biggest thing is the stuff I put up. I put up things around my house, on my fridge, next to my scale. Things I print out from this site that resonate with me, lists of things I can't wait to do once I'm thin, quotes I find about sticking with it...

Sometimes when I REALLY want to binge, and my resolve is cracking, I come here and read threads and think, "Is it really going to be worth it? Do I want that more, or do I want to finally reach my goals?"

Usually it works. Sometimes it doesn't and I make a mistake. But the key is to GET BACK ON TRACK. Don't give up! I saw someone's signature that says, "Success is getting back up one more time than you fall down."

There's no magic potion. But just remember: There are a bunch of people on here that have the exact same demons as we do, and the same weaknesses, and they've SUCCEEDED. If they can do it, so can we! We just have to never give up! It's going to be REALLY HARD. But it's going to be worth it.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I hope you don't mind me dropping in, but I just want to say it DOES get easier. I remember my first week on WW and I wanted to die. I told people I felt like I was in jail, and I almost quit. It definitely got easier after the first week!

That's not to say you won't go through ups and downs on the rest of your journey.

But for sure, the very first week is always the hardest for me, when I make any type of food change.

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #5  
One Fluffy Wolf

Height: 5' 11"

If change was easy, it wouldn't be worth it. Hang in there. You can do it. I'm sure the next week will get better.
celestialwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Hang in there It's worth it.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #7  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Some days are easier than others. Sometimes, I can just be on plan, and things are great. Other times, like today, I'm starving and don't know if I can make it. I actually dropped into the site today for just that reason. I know it's hard, but you CAN do it!

And congrats on your TOM. Like you said, not the most fun, but still remarkable.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Right now you're doing something that's not "normal" for you. It's normal for you to be able to have that cookie or eat whatever junky food you want. You're trying to change your normal. Once you get used to your new normal it will be easier. The hard part is getting there, and it will take time. You just need to stay committed.

I think about it this way:

Do I want that cookie (or any other unhealthy food)? At this moment, I sure do. BUT... On weigh in day when I see the scale go down, am I going to be thinking about not eating that cookie? Nope. If I eat that cookie, and on weigh in day I am up, or I haven't lost, am I going to be thinking about it then? You betchya!

The point is, the cookie is going to give you pleasure THIS instant. You're going to feel good in the moment, but once that moment is up you're going to feel guilt. On weigh in day you're going to be upset you haven't lost. Staying on plan gives you so much goodness for so much longer. The feel good of staying on plan outweighs the feeling good of the cookie.

People always use the excuse of "I'll eat that cookie... but just this once. Then I'll be right back on plan." And it's never "just this once." DON'T put yourself in the situation, or even make it an option. The cookie is NOT an option, so before you even allow the prospect of eating it into your head... stop yourself and say "Nope, sorry, it's not an option."
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 326.2/316/160 Back 5-2013

Height: 5'7"

Welcome redumbrella1!
I am doing WW and have to say I was fairly obsessed with everything the first 4-6 weeks but it has definately gotten easier. I have also found it is really important for me to make sure I am eating protein regularly. It helps me to not feel hungry. I have also been pleasantly surprised at how an apple or two a day can help me feel full longer. The other thing I enjoy are the WW's desserts. They are a nice treat at night. Hang in there! It will get better.
tw326at41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

My two comments:

One thing I really liked about the WW plan was I could eat cookies, just had to balance it out with a lower points choice at another meal and had to learn to eat 2 cookies, not 20 for a "serving".

And definitely stay away from the scale. In the beginning, the effort to stick to any plan feels like you should be rewarded by big number drops on scale (shows like Biggest Loser don't help much with this perception). I found if I got on scale too much, I was kind of screwed either way - if the number was not as good as I expected, I thought "I may as well eat x", and if really good then thought was "maybe I can get away with eating x".

Last edited by caryesings; 08-24-2010 at 04:54 PM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

Once you get in the habit of not eating that cookie and eating a healthy snack the cravings will slowly start to disappear. You really have to have will power and the "want to" to lose weight. I want this so badly that no cake, soda, or cookie will keep me from getting there. You have to set your mind to it and you will see results. Another thing that I have noticed since starting (only 2 weeks ago might I add) is that if I keep busy or if I go walk or exercise I'm not as hungry as I would be sitting around watching television. I know it will be a long hard journey but it's worth it in the end. I'm not much of an inspiration but in a few weeks I have lost close to 10 lbs. If I can do it I know you can! Good Luck!
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/186.5/160

ABSOLUTELY IT GETS EASIER!! You took on this challenge and I know you can stick with it. I found it helpful to write myself notes on the fridge or on the cupboard doors. Letters to myself about my goals and the reason I chose this journey.
GOOD LUCK!!
toughchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/T/160

Thanks guys!!! Today was a MUCH better day. I know it's going to be struggle, and I'm prepared for that. I was just hoping it wasn't going to be SOOO difficult for the entire time. Today proved that it doesn't have to be. This site has to be the most motivational, supporting group around. You guys rock. Thanks!!!!!
redumbrella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

I don't know about easier exactly, but it does get better...much, much better. For the year, I'm 70 pounds down and compared to when I started..it's like night and day. I wouldn't trade the last 8 months for anything....this feeling is wonderful.

I hope you join our exercise thread...it's working wonders for me.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Faith
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #15  
PJK
pjk

S/C/G: 389.9/373.2/135

Height: 5.2

Yes Ma'am It Does Get Better--since I've Come Back To The 3fc Forum I Find It Much Easier--the Support Here Is Wonderful, And It Helps Knowing You Can Check In Anytime And Get That Extra Little Boost--take Care And Just Know--you Can Do It!!!

DOWN-16.7 # SINCE 7/26/10
FIRST GOAL-LOSE 5O LBS BY 12/31/10
SECOND GOAL-APRIL 2011 - LOSE 85 LBS
THIRD GOAL-JULY 26/10 - LOSE 100 LBS
EVERY DAY GOAL: REALIZING I AM WORTH IT!!!

Last edited by PJK; 08-27-2010 at 09:14 PM.
PJK is offline   Reply With Quote