Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #31  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone-

The past week and a half has been very busy for me between work, cleaning, and getting outside for some exercise! I have hardly had any time at all to go online.

Good news is that I finally got over whatever sickness I had and I'm full of energy again. I went down to 290 while sick, then went back up to 293 once I was better. But I've doing really good with my diet and I'm down to 291. I've also been doing really well avoiding bad foods at work.

I also did an exercise video today and it felt great. I've been thinking about doing Couch to 5k, but I'm sure if I can really do it at this weight. We'll see.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Morning all..

Shadowclaw: What is the couch to 5k? I have heard alot of pees talk about it?

For me: Yesterday I posted my before and during pics on my FB page. I have alot of co-workers on my FB page. They were all in shock how much I have lost. It is cause they see me everyday they don't notice as much. It was really nice having people come up to me all day and congrats me.

Hubby got a call from his sister yesterday. He is going in August to see her. She said that she is getting a divorce!!! She is the one that just got back from Iraq. I was in shock..hubby was in shock. She said they have been rocky for the past 5 years. They both agree it is the best thing and will remain friends. WEIRD!!! She said that he has become controlling in the past 5 years..and I guess his family is a mess. She was back from war about 3 days and told him..he said to her I am surprised you stayed this long..I would have been gone. Atleast I know for the most part it is what they both want. They don't have kids together and have split everything the way they want. Guess I am just in shock.

A co-worker passed away at work. i didnt know her personally but seen her many times in the hall way. About 3 months ago she got sick I guess. She started getting blurred vision and headaches. She died from the equivlant to Mad Cow Disease. They said she is the 4th person in the USA to die from this. She was only 54. She was a vegetarian...they don't know how she got it. SCAREY!! She will be missed.

As for me: My friend and I that craft are thinking of making some things to take to a few craft shows this fall. I think I will open a blogspot too just to get the word out. We have wanted to do this for the past 5 years..think we are going to do it now.

I am up way to early this morning...will be a long day.

Have a great day all
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 372/288/170

Height: 5' 10"

Annie - Rest! Your body needs time. Have fun with your family...sounds like fun!

Sharon - Glad your Dad is getting better.

Lindy - My DH is out of work too...for the first time in his entire life he is without a job. Our savings are dwindling...you're on to something...maybe I'll just think of it as a weightloss/camping program...LOL.

Shadow - Lots of great news! Keep up the plan...sounds like you are working it!

Cyn - So sorry to hear about your co-worker...that's so scary! Sorry to hear about your sis-in-law too. But at least they seem to be okay with their decision and now she can just move on. Tell her I thank her for her service to our country. What kind of crafts do you do?

As for me...temptation temptation everywhere, but I've resisted and been POP all week. I need to work in more exercise...right now I'm using my home remodel as my excuse, I have limited time away from work for myself. But honestly, 30 minutes for a walk wouldn't hinder progress on the home front. So I've acknowledged that it's not even a valid excuse. Next step is to put on shoes! I do so hate sneakers....but flip-flops really aren't a good idea for a brisk walk. I do better with a schedule, which is why I'm seriously considering Couch to 5k. By the time I'm done with that program exercise would be a habit and the time would be built into my routine. Again...the next step is to put on shoes, not just talk about it!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good Morning all,

Up early and drove to a small town about 6 and 1/2 miles away from my house to check a friend's mail and her house out while she is in CA. I then went to get gas at Costco and then came home. It is raining so no outside walking for me. I have been super good at sitting still and I am going nuts!!! I am going to do a little inside walking today at least.

Shadow: Welcome back. Glad that you are feeling much better. Hope you continue to heal.

Cyn: Sorry about your coworker. That is so sad. I will say a prayer for her family and friends. I used to hit all the craft shows and I did pretty well. I hope you have the same luck if you decide to do it

Over: So happy to hear that you are just saying no to temptations! Good Job!

Well, another rainy day today but the outlook for the weekend and next week is SUNSHINE! That means when I go to see my Dad and Stepmom next week I will be on the boat fishing for sure

Blessings all,
Annie
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #35  

Just wanted to post and say I did it. I've made the commitment...printed out the Couch to 5K plan, calendars so I can track my activity, made a plan, posted to the exercise thread...I'm gonna take action and get off my butt...and yes, even wear sneakers.

Annie - Glad to see you are taking it slow but still finding a few things to do to keep you from getting cabin fever. What area does your dad live in? Not the Gulf I hope....
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #36  

Hello my Peeps!

I spent all day in downtown DC in one of the coldest auditoriums on the planet.. brrrrr! It took 30 min for my feet to thaw and I was wearing closed toed shoes.

Of course, at the breaks during the symposium, they had my favs - donuts. I did not partake in any. The main reason is how the wheat causes me horrid gas pain and bloating and nausea! Death by donuts. I did bring a protein bar and ate some of that. Too bad they didn't put out any fruit or something. Dang donuts and bagels looked good too.

I'm doing well, but not pushing up the protein like I should. I even got all forgetful (PMS stuff) and forgot several evening vitamin doses. Geesh! Well, TOM is over and time to stop being lax!!!

I found some korean short ribs from Trader Joes and will see how they sit. Beef can be a bit dense and not sit in my tummy well. They smell good, though!

Cyn, sorry to hear of your co-worker. There is an inherited form of spongiform encelphalpathy (mad cow-like) that affects people all over the world and has nothing to do with lifestyle or what they eat.

Annie!!! No walking!!! Go get a bunch of cards and play solitaire hehe.

OverOver, glad you are getting motivated to do an exercise program!! Seems ambitious, but I'm not much of a walker. Matter of fact, I'm hoping I can get out my alter-ego, BikerChick, and break out the bicycle. I think it's under 2 inches of dust right now. Poor bike.

Sharon, glad you're back and dad is healing!!

Lindy, they make some cool large people seats for bicycles. I'm not sure, but livingxl.com has some cool stuff and largelivin.com. I can't rem which had the seats, but they were cool. When you get to that point, you'll have a source!

Shadow, glad you are feeling better!!

Neon, whatcha doing now?

Pink, puppy hugs!!!

Hugs to all!
Ratkity

Last edited by Ratkitten; 06-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 329.2/263/160

Hiya Everyone!

My starting weight on May 23 was 329 lbs. It feels like way too much to even try some days. I haven't given up, not even close, I weighed in today at 311.2. I am 12 lbs away from being under 300 for the first time since I quit smoking 4 years ago. So there is part of my story. I hope to learn more about each of you.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi, All!!!

Summer is hard. My husband AND kids are home. The whole day. Every day. Some days are better than others. But, at least eating isn't an issue. Thank God for my tool!!! (WLS)

I saw two people yesterday whom I haven't seen in a really long time. Neither one recognized me. I've lost 70 pounds since I saw them last!!! That felt really good.

Need to get exercising. But, can't seem to get motivated. sigh.

Sounds like many great goals being achieved! Congrats on the graduation, Neon. Million - the scale is listening to you!

Annie - stay still, already!!!

Everyone else, glad to see you. With four people fighting for two computers, I seem to lose out frequently. So, even though I'm not on too much lately, my thoughts are with you all!!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

And, thanks to Cyn's incentive, I posted a before and during photo of me, too!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #40  
Dinkachu

S/C/G: 497/455/150

Height: 5'2 "

HAPPY FRIDAY EVE..........YEA for PAIN!!!!

Greetings everyone. I woke up in some pain this morning and I made a list of why I was grateful for the pain:
1) Waking up in pain means I'm still alive (that's a big one)
2) Since I'm down from 100 to 3 mgs of prednisone I'm in more pain,
but that means the steroids are doing less damage to my body
3) Pain reminds me what parts of my body need to be dealt with gently
4) Being grateful for the parts of my body that don't hurt is easier
(for example my ears don't hurt and my nose and my toes!)
5) Having empathy for those worse off than I comes naturally
6) SOME OF THE PAIN IS BECAUSE I AM USING AND MOVING MUSCLES
THAT HAVE BEEN ATROPHYING(SP?) IN BED FOR 2 YEARS!!!!

I saw this really old exercise man named Jack LaLanne on TV this week. He was on tv when I was a little kid. So, I figure, this guy is like 96 years old and I can surely do his exercise program. I COULD NOT even do 1/4th of what this guy can do! And today, I have pain in places I forgot had muscles.
And I only did the sit down exercises cause I can't stand up for more than a minute or two!!! I think its back to 'Sit and Be Fit' for me for awhile!!!

RATKITY - Wow - resisting donuts would be way hard for me. Krispy Kremes are my downfall! I did check out LivingXL and LargeLiving - can't believe I didn't know about these places before. I've already picked out my 'big-butt' bicycle seat for the future!

SITTING-GRUMPY - Nice to meet you. I'm already impressed. If you can stop smoking and are well on your way to the 200's you WILL be successful!

BASKET- Maybe the family can find some free summer activities or have a schedule of home improvement projects balanced with fun things. Family obstacle courses or family laundry day. With Kurt and I both being teachers when our little guy was young, we found a schedule kept us all sane. Did I ever ask you if you knew where Wapakoneta, Ohio is?

OVER - congratulations on committing to the Couch to 5K! I am really rooting for you, please keep us informed of your progress. Big "GO GIRL". Resisting all that temptation took real determination too!

SHARON - Glad you are back. Hope your dad gets stronger each day.

SHADOW - It's great that you are feeling better and so full of energy. What exercise videos are you using. I need to find something with very easy cardio. Sit and Be Fit is good for me to build strength and toning, but not cardio - and well, you read about what happened when I tried Jack La Lanne. I was thinking about something like Richard Simmons, for some reason my Dear Husband can't stand Richard.

CYN - Sorry about co-worker and family drama. My friend and our families did craft shows up until I became bed ridden. I went in the wheelchair, even with oxygen for years. She makes quilts and crochets and I sold pre-made scrapbook pages, handmade greeting cards, jewelry I put together and other crafties. We went to local 'taste of the town' weekends, county fairs, and church craft shows mostly. It was a lot of fun. And a lot of work. Good luck!

PINK - You got by with stuffing this week, so say 'thank you Lord" and NOW put down the fork or the pounds WILL find you! Do something positive.

ANNIE BANANA- Are you being good???? Wouldn't want to have to come all the way out there to sit on you and hold you down!!! Let us know how the
water aerobic venture is coming along!

HUGS To All.... LINDY
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #41  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Good evening everyone!

Well, today was a fantastic day. I started off with eating something I knew would power me through my morning, and that was an egg with toast. Actually, it was an egg on toast (eggs in a basket! Mmmm!) that my fiance and I spent a good hour trying to figure out how to do after watching V for Vendetta back when we first started dating. There's nothing like a good egg to keep me full until lunch time. I got some morning chores done, ate some lean cuisine for lunch (my mom has a million of them in the freezer and I don't think I've ever seen her eat one), and then we headed out canoeing!

We spent 3 hours on the lake, paddling for probably 2 hours, and the other hour spent trying to fish, but alas, it was too windy to fish from a canoe today. I did do a little poorly with dinner - we went to a Long John Silvers/A&W, but I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and small fries, which really is a big step for me, because I adore french fries and I always go for at least medium size. Later after I returned home, I ate some yogurt and jsut before typing this, I started couch to 5k!

I didn't quite finish the first assignment. I was supposed to go for a full 20 minutes, but after about 10, I started to get a cramp in my side, and by 13 minutes, it was really hurting. So I stopped and stretched a bit, then did a five minute cool down walk. But overall, between the warm-up, cool down, and the c25k program, I got 23 minutes of really good cardio in and was sweating like I never have before! Now I'm sucking down the water.

azcyn - Sorry to hear about your co-worker. It is very scary that she was a vegetarian and was affected by mad cow disease. As for couch to 5k, it is a running training program that eases you into running. You start off by alternating short bursts of jogging with longer bursts of walking and over several weeks, you work up to being able to jog/run 3 miles (5k). It's really a great idea. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it because of how heavy I am, but I didn't really have a problem. Of course, I didn't run very fast, but it was fast for me!

Over - too bad you don't like sneakers! I love them! As a matter of fact, I almost exclusively wear sneakers wherever I go. Sometimes I wear big ugly man sandals (my dad calls them rubber tires strapped to my feet), and if I need to dress up, I borrow a pair of nice shoes from my mom. Good to know you're starting couch to 5k too. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I found that jogging for only 60 seconds at a time isn't that hard!

dogpal - I hope you get to get out into the sunshine this weekend! We tried fishing from my canoe today, but it was so windy, the canoe kept drifting quite quickly away from where we were trying to fish. I suppose it's for the better, though. It meant more paddling around the lake and less sitting around with our poles!

Ratkitten - I forget vitamins all the time! I have been trying to take vitamins regularly for almost a year. I get going on a good streak for a while, then I'll miss a day for some reason and then everything goes downhill. I'm currently doing well, though, and hopefully I'll stick with it!

grumpy - congrats on your success so far! Keep on trying!

basket - that must be the most amazing feeling in the world to have people not recognize you because you've lost weight. Unfortunately, I always feel ashamed everytime I run into someone from high school because I'm almost 100 pounds heavier. But one day I will know that feeling!

Lindy - I actually am doing Richard Simmons videos My mom bought the 7 DVD anniversary set from QVC not too long ago, so I've been trying them all out. So far I've done Sweatin to the Oldies 1, 2, and 3, as well as Party Off the Pounds, which I really didn't like. It was way too fast paced for me. My favorite is Sweatin 1 - it doesn't have any complicated foot work and the moves are easy. I also have the Bollywood Dance Workout that I've used a few times, but I have some trouble with footwork. My all time favorite cardio workout is Dance Dance Revolution for the Playstation. I should figure out what I did with the dance pad and give it a try one of these days... I knew a kid in high school who lost 70 pounds because he was obsessed with playing that game.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Basketcase..your pics look wonderful!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #43  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Hello e1, I'm not exactly new here but haven't been on in around a year or so.

I am restarting this journey, and I am doing my best to find ways to stick with it.

I am very proud that when I restarted a few days ago - wait actually it was just yesterday... wow! LOL Feels like it's been days! In any event, I was very proud that I didn't do the "I'm gonna start next week, or I'm gonna start tomorrow." I decided that day that I was going to start that day and I did.

I hope to get to know you all more as we take this journey to reclaiming control of our lives.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #44  

Ratkitten - Good job with all the healthy choices! Yes, Couch to 5K is ambitious but I've walked several 5K's in the last couple years, so I know that I can at least walk a 5K, but I'd like to be able to jog. I'm a very big girl so I'm self-conscious about jogging and jiggling, but I'm determined to just do it for me and not worry about what others might think. In all honesty, they may just think...good to see her taking charge of her health! I'm also looking forward to establishing a routine exercise schedule. ... Dust of your bike and get to it. I like biking but my butt doesn't...owie. I'm going to check out those sites you suggested to Lindy.

Sitting - Welcome! You are already making great progress!

Basket - I think you should pull rank to get your computer time...lol. Being home all day with my hubby would turn me into a basketcase! No kids here though. ... You look great in your pics!

Lindy - Great way to use your pain as motivation! Keep moving!

Shadow - Congrats on Couch to 5K! I'm so excited that we are both starting at the same time...it'll be great to have a buddy to work through this with! My first day is today, after work. I considered doing mornings, but I HATE mornings, so I figure that since I like "me" time when I first get home that this would be a great way to get it. (Trust me neither DH or my lazy dogs are gonna follow me...lol!) I think you had a respectable start...23 minutes is defintely better than 0!

Honey Bee - I know it's cliche, but... ONE DAY AT A TIME. You can't change the decisions made yesterday, and tomorrow doesn't count yet. So just make one good decision at a time....eventually the good decision will become the natural decision.

As for me... My office had lunch as a group in honor of the owner's birthday today. Definitely not healthy, they ordered Popeye's chicken! So good but sooooo bad! I have this calorie book for popular restaurants and the thigh is only 80 calories if you remove the skin...so I did. Yay for me! Of course the skinniest person at the table ate it...lol. Go figure! However, he is a great example of a person that appears to be "healthy" because he's thin and lean, but he has high cholesterol. Step away from the FRIED FOODS! LOL...anyways. According to the book I had less than 350 calories for lunch...I'm thinking that may be a little low though. At any rate, I'm just proud of not just saying well I have to eat what they eat because it'd be rude not too...and then just loading my plate with all the fixins. My little book is a god send, honestly. When I eat out now, I order from the book, not the menu. That way the pictures and choices don't overwhelm me. I make my choice based on the 'green' menu choices and the nutritional content.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #45  
Dinkachu

S/C/G: 497/455/150

Height: 5'2 "

TOXIC PARENT - SO I EAT??????

I am 52 years old. I raised a great kid, I have 2 bachelor degrees, a master's degree, taught for 31 years and have a published book. You would think by now I would get it - potato chips and thin mint cookies do not heal the wounds and shame toxic parents inflict. I understand that. But, I do it again and again!!!

I am also trying to figure out how to draw that line between being a 'good daughter' who is caring to parents who are aged and have some health problems (You know - life is short and they won't be around forever) and taking care of myself with my potentially terminal illnesses. I am grieving over letting my folks steal my first 50 years of my life and trying to figure out how to get back some of these last ones for myself and my family.

I also need to figure out how to climb out of the little pit I dug for myself with a fork today and get back to that happy, hopeful place I was in before I was told that it was "no use for me to try to lose weight because even if I did lose weight I've already destroyed my body and my is already grown so I'd never get those years back, and i'd just gain the weight back again like I did before. So I should just stop wasting everyone's time, energy and money and be a 'good girl'." In other words, climb back in bed and die. Just be available to listen to hours of stories about the 'glory days of old' or recounts of the nightly news when certain people are lonely.

OOPS.... Sorry my chicky friends, I guess I thought I was on Dr. Phil for a minute there. PLEASE forgive the self-indulgent tirade.

I'm off to pray myself into some perspective. Catherine M assured me that these parents can "kill us, but they can't eat us, cause that's illegal".

Lindy
Closed Thread