Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #1  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default (Warning: Downer thread!) Have you ever been too heavy for a piece of furniture?

My mom bought me a new bed for my room at her house, and I'm a little worried because it's on thin legs. She decided to go for a cheaper bed and get a nice mattress, and I was too embarrassed to warn her about the sturdiness (she knows how big I am, but I don't know if it would occur to her) It's this one, for reference... It would be me and me dog, so about 350 pounds together. I want to assume a full-size bed could support that much (like a 200-pound man and a 150-pound woman?), but I don't know.

Have any of you ever broken furniture?!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #2  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

During my student teaching, I was in a class of senior students at high school and the chair under me completely gave out. I destroyed the chair and was utterly embarrassed.

Also, at my heighest weight I was just really careful what furniture to sit on. My parents actually asked me back then to please not sit in their recliner chairs because they didn't want me to break them.

Anyways, I'm not sure about the bed. Hope someone can give you some wisdom about that. Good luck!!
shan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Well my roomie and I got popped into sharing a bedroom for most of the semester while another girl lived with us last year, and we're pretty close, so we just shared the bed. It was full size and we were probably closer to 400 lb combined. The bed was very old, and it had thin metal legs. I don't know how that compares really...
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #4  

Paradise,

I've seen that bed at IKEA and it's plenty sturdy! That bed is more than strong enough for you and the pup. I have an antique bed that has similar legs and it never buckled. The only time I had a bed fall is when the wooden slat holder gave way after my sister (not heavy) plopped herself on the bed. That was an old old bed too.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

I worry sometimes, especially when I hear crap creak and pop, but a lot of furniture is geared toward 275+ and I did look at Ikea recently and I saw some of their chairs listed 375lbs as their max weight load.

Check the instructions or the website and you might see a weight limited listed there in kg or lbs.

My chair that I sit in every day, probably too much, is for 280 pounds and I was 300 when I got it. I still have it a year later. Yeah it will wear out faster though, but hey us big people know that we wear stuff out faster than smaller people.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 05-23-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Beds aren't just used for sleeping. I would really expect that a bed like that would be designed to hold two generously-sized adult people, and that those two people are not assumed to be motionless.

It seems very unlikely that the bed isn't designed for a lot more stress than you will be putting on it. It looks nice and I think your mom made the best budget trade-off. A good mattress is worth the extra!

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #7  
It's about time

That's what I was thinking/hoping. It'll probably be fine. And if I do break it go crashing down to the first floor, I'll write a post on it
Old 05-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #8  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

I once broke one of those reclining chairs. I bought them a new one and they told me I couldn't use it unless I got under 200 lbs.
PinkFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Everytime I sit on furniture I wonder if it will give out....
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #10  
It's about time

I've never broken anything but I'm always terrified that I will, so any time something doesn't look sturdy I try to hold myself up with my legs mostly, which is really awkward and uncomfortable :/

You know, it's actually pretty annoying how little some things support, though. I sit in the chairs at work all night with no problem, but I was looking at the tag on one of the office chairs the other day and it said the limit was 170. I mean, that's just ridiculous. It held my weight just fine at 130 pounds over the limit, but to put a 170-pound recommendation is a little insulting.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/233/140

Height: 5-7

I would never get a wooden slat bed again, as I broke one. I had extra thicker slats put in. I would only get ones that come in 2 parts with 4 drawer storage as the one I've got like that (silentnight) has been fine. I figure all the stuff in the drawers is extra under me to keep me from sinking in iykwim?! (I've also broken a settee!)
xxDazzlexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

I slept on that very bed for several years (and still have it in the guest room)!!!

I slept on it weighing 230-300lbs without a problem... even shared it with my DH (then fiance) for a year, and he added another 200! It's very sturdy. We fit 500 lbs of people and 20 lbs of cat on that bed without issue - and it was just a full size! IKEA makes some sturdy stuff.

Some times furniture breaks and it isn't just about weight. My brother, who weighs just 175 or so at 6 feet tall, has broken numerous chairs - including one of mine! He's just really hard on chairs (I think he leans back too hard...)I'm twice as big but I've never broken a chair (yet!)

Breaking furniture can happen to anyone... not just big folks!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

I broke a bed once. Not even at my heaviest weight, but it was due to some er... playtime... with the boyfriend. Let me tell you, that's the biggest moodkill EVER. But I've been on that exact bed in IKEA, and it seems really sturdy, just like Rat said.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #14  
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I slept on that very bed for several years (and still have it in the guest room)!!!
Phew! That's a relief. And apparently that's a popular bed! I love IKEA. My whole apartment is furnished with it!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Too funny!!!

Shan - how mortifying!!! As if student teaching isn't stressful enough!!!

Glad you got some reassurance!!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote